Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    In support of Dave and John, I'd be glad to have a thread here.
    Outstanding Jeff, glad you are here bro.

^^^^ yep yep

How many years have you been training? I notice alot of your vids have reggae, I take it you are a fan.

PENCILNECK

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    How many years have you been training? I notice alot of your vids have reggae, I take it you are a fan.
    already said 8 total

Jrod, what do you think ideal macros are for offseason? Also, do you believe in the 1-1.2g/lb for protein for bulking?

Quote Originally Posted by cro0sh View Post
    already said 8 total

Jrod, what do you think ideal macros are for offseason? Also, do you believe in the 1-1.2g/lb for protein for bulking?

I apologize, I overlooked it

Quote Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
    Its great to have you here

Can you post what your content prep diet looks like

I posted my entire 16 week contest prep diet on my blog at: www.jrod123.blogspot.com

On the right side of the blog page, look from May 2008 to September 2008; thats where I posted my diet each week.

Here is my diet at 4 weeks out:

4 WO: 06 August 2008

TRAINING DAY

1) Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
    = 28C, 40P, 0F

TRAIN
    Pre: 8 tsp Dextrose, 1.25 Isolyze = 40C, 40P, 0F
    Mid: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F
    25 min post: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F

2) 1 hr post: Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
    28C, 40P, 0F

3) 2 ½ hr post: vegetables, 11 egg whites
    = 10C, 38P, 0F

(every 2 hours after meal 3, in any order):

4) 3/8 cup oats, 1 Isolyze
    = 20C, 27P, 2F

5) Vegetables, 1 Isolyze (or 7 egg whites), 6 Omegalyze
    = 10C, 27P, 6F

6) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
    = 10C, 38P, 0F

7) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
    = 10C, 38P, 0F

TOTALS: 216C, 370P, 8F = 2416 Calories

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    This is now Jrod's Q&A thread!

Thanks for setting it up AVBG.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjandcoolg View Post
    Jeff, you are natural. No need to prove anything to anyone... Just wanted to know, precontest, how do you determine the calorie difference from a training day to lets say your off week.
    You mean off DAY, right?

I don't think I have had an off week during pre-contest time. I schedule my workout cycles so that I take a break right before having to diet (and dieting usually lasts 14-16 weeks). OR, if I do need a break during this time, I'll just take a few extra days off here and there to make up for it, NOT 7 days straight.

If you mean day, I eat about 200-500 calories less than on training days. In the start the difference is greater, but the gap closes as I get closer to the show.

Really, I think it would be ok to have the same number of calories (especially in the start) on off and training days. As long as you make adjustments week to week and gradually reduce calories, you could probably go either way. I find that having less calories on off days is just a good way for me to have less calories (to get leaner faster). And as you get closer to eating very little, off days are a good place to take some food away.

The short answer would be, it probably doesnt matter too much, just be consistent throughout the prep. You can start with having the same calories on off and training days, then as you get closer, start having less on training days. Just make sure you don't do the other way around (Less, then same).

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthegreat34 View Post
    Hey Jeff, I am a big fan. I have two questions. What are your opinions on Dave's diet? Also have you always manipulated your water like you do for contest prep, and do you feel it makes a huge difference as to how try you get?
    I have personally never tried Dave's diet. So all I can say is based on what I've read and heard. From THAT information, it looks like it really works; a lot of people seem to like it. Also, the science behind why seems sound, so it looks like a good diet.

Water manipulation is something I still need to work on to perfect. I think I've done a pretty good job with coming in dry, I would just like more practice. This is why I want to do one show before the TU this year. I would like to try something a bit (nothing drastically different) different with water, like having MORE on show day. This will probably cause me to weigh more, though, which means I'd for sure be a light heavy (thats fine, as long as I look better).

Anyway, back to your questions.

Have I always done it like this: YES. I didnt do anything for my first show (but thats a given, as I didn't know anything). BUT, starting in 2006 I've done it very close to how I do now (I've made a few adjustments, but the basic idea is the same: lots of water and salt for several weeks, then little water salt the day/s before).

(Yes, Skip, I learned a lot of what I know about water manipulation from you/reading your stuff. And lets not forget Jeff Willet, too!)

does it make a huge difference as to how dry I get: I think so. However, I think that once I get to about 3-4 weeks out, no matter what I do I look pretty dry throughout the day because of how lean I am (despite drinking at least 3 gallons of water per day). It probably makes a slight difference (a bit crisper), but will not make up for all the weeks of dieting.

Some pictures might help you decide....
    ***First one is 3 weeks out (I had just finished training and drank about 2 gallons of water by the time of the picture.
    ***Second picture is 2 weeks out (this is right after the in the trenches pre-contest back video) I drank about 2-2.5 gallons at this time.
    ***Third one is from the Team Universe prejuding (about 3/4-1 gallon of water by this time).
    Attached Images Attached Images

GYM RAT

Fuck Daniel.

Super Bowl ASC Party

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohns_10 View Post
    Hey Jeff, giving us natural guys something to live up to! Lookin great my man. Got a question for you: do you usually lift heavy with lower sets in the off-season as in your back/bi's video? Or do you stagger between lighter/higher days and heavier/lower days?

Thanks!

In general/most of the time I lift heavy (4-8 reps) and low number of sets (4-8 sets) like in that offseason back video. BUT, sometimes if i'm just not "feeling it" or something feels wrong/bad (like my knee/elbow/shoulder/whatever) is sore no matter what exercise I do, I'll go lighter. I would say on average I take it a bit easier/go lighter about 1 week out of every 3-4 weeks. Also, I find that I make better progress and get stronger by backing off a bit every so often. You'll have to figure out when "every so often" is for you by feel/trial and error; for me its about once a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmolenski View Post
    Good to have you here Jeff. I've been following the TU a couple years now - I am hoping to compete in that show maybe in 2010 but I want to take first in my weight class at my regional shows first in 2009. I am also competing as a middleweight and weighed in at 174 at 5'10" (maybe 5-6% fat) for the NPC Natural Northern USA last October.

Here is my question: You said in the off season you are up to 210 lbs. I am up to 190 right now and even though I only put on 15 lbs I feel like a fat ass. Do you think its necessary to gain a lot of weight in the off season in order to add lean mass naturally? If all we can hope for is 5 or 6 pounds a year under the best of circumstances then whats the use of adding 30 lbs of fat that we have to burn off later with months of diet and cardio? Second question is whats your cardio routine like in the off season and during contest prep. Thanks!
    Nice. Maybe I'll see you at the TU then. How'd you do at the Natural Northern? So if you win your class THIS year at the regional show/s, any chance you'll just take advantage of the fact that you're dieted down already and show up at the TU in September !

Onto your question... "Do you think its necessary to gain a lot of weight in the off season in order to add lean mass naturally? NO, I don't think one needs to get fat/put on a bunch of weight to put on muscle. As long as you eat enough calories to grow, anymore will just be stored--you wont just grow faster. "If all we can hope for is 5 or 6 pounds a year under the best of circumstances then whats the use of adding 30 lbs of fat that we have to burn off later with months of diet and cardio?"
    I don't know if 5-6 pounds is the limit for how much muscle one can put on naturally, thats just ABOUT what it is for me. But anyway, for some people, its just easier to put on bodyfat and they have to be stricter with their diet just to stay in decent off season shape. For others, they can get away with eating more and still stay pretty lean. I personally like staying leaner (and my body is naturally like that), but some people might rather just enjoy eating and during the offseason and deal with the consequences/make up for it when they diet.

Hahaha, I have a feeling you're refering to the fact that I weigh 205-210, yet weigh in at 175. If thats the case, let me explain this strange thing that happens to me (at least the past 2 years).

This is from this past TU/2008. Throughout the last week before the show I was waking up and weighing about 184 first thing in the morning. At 2 days out, I drank 5 gallons of water and weighed about 190 right before going to bed. The next morning (weigh ins) I woke up weighing 178! Since weigh-ins were only a few hours later, I just minimized water intake and made the cutoff of 176 (im guessing the scale was a bit light, too cause I weighed in at 174). There is something about drinking a ton of water the day before that makes me wake up weighing even less than usual.

CARDIO:

Offseason I do not do cardio. Pre-contest, I usually don't do a lot. In 2007 I did 14 sessions over 14 weeks. This last year I did 10 session over 16 weeks. However, when I do cardio, I do something like max ot cardio/ HIIT cardio. I do a total of about 15 minutes split up usually in 2, sometimes 3 parts. For example, I'll do 5 minutes on the treadmill, take a 2 min break, then 5 minutes on the stationary bike, 2 min break, then 5 minutes on the stair climber. Each of these 5 minute sessions are done intensely, and I try to better each session compared to the previous (EG if I went a mile on the treadmill, then next time I'll try to beat a mile).
    Last edited by jrod; 02-12-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    8 years. Yeah I like reggae. Aside from liking reggae, I put them in because I've never heard training/reggae put together. But I don't actually listen to reggae during a set (maybe while driving to the gym or mixing my shake).

Quote Originally Posted by cro0sh View Post
    already said 8 total

First of all, I believe in finding what works best for YOU. With that said, I like to have closer to 2g of protein/pound. Over the years I've learned that I make better gains when I eat A LOT of protein. I could probably get away with less, but I'm not interested in finding the lower limit for how much protein I need.

Try out 1.5g/lb (or 2g if you like) and see how that works for you.
    Last edited by jrod; 02-12-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aznlifter View Post
    Fuck Daniel.

Super Bowl ASC Party
    Hahaha... Daniel is going to like reading this.

While we are on the subject. Do any of you guys have people over to watch the Arnold/Olympia? I know its only webcasted (not HD or whatever) but its the best thing we (in BB) have.

People have superbowl parties, right. How come we don't have Arnold/Olympia parties? (for those of us who don't go)

Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast