Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post

what's better then lifting weights?
    Ummm, more lifting. I can think of something else.

Shoulders and Arms this morning. It's been fun the last two Saturdays going to the gym because my 12 year old daughter has gone with me. She's really into working out and sports.

Started with some cable criss crosses for rear delts. I perform these by standing in front of a cable crossover machine. I grab the right cable with my left hand and the left cable with my right hand. (I don't attach anything to the cables. I basically just grab the little ball at the end of the cable.) By grabbing in this manner, my arms are in front of me and crossed. I then open my arms out to my side ending in a cross position. I did several light sets to help my shoulders warm up and then performed three working sets: 65 (each cable) X 12, 65 X 12, 65 X 12.

Hammer Shoulder Press (plate loaded): 2 acclimation sets followed by: three plates on each side X 6 for 3 sets, two plates on each side X 12

Haney shrugs: one acclimation set, 225 X 15, 225 X 15, 225 X 15
    (For those not familiar with these, you stand in front of the bar in a power rack. I have the bar set a few inches below my butt. I grab the bar with an under hand grip. The movement is performed by first bending the elbows slightly and pulling the bar up over the butt. You then shrug up from there. Great trap exercise.)

DB Laterals: 45 X 10, 45 X 10, 45 X 10

Hammer Preacher Curls (plate loaded): 2 plates X 10, 2 plates X 10, 2 plates X 10, 5 breaths, X 6, 5 breaths, X 4 (rest/pause set)

Cable rope pushdowns: 155 X 12, 155 X 12, 155 X 12 drop 125 X 8 drop 95 X 8

Single Arm Cable Curls: 75 X 10, 75 X 10, 75 X 10

Close grip bench: 225 X 10, 225 X 10, 225 X 9 (just couldn't get the 10th)

Cable curls (rest/pause): 155 X 10, 5 breaths, 155 X 7, 5 breaths, 155 X 4

I am pretty beat from training this week. It was a good week of training but I definitely need my regular Sunday off. I'm going to get my wife to take some progress pics tomorrow and will post them up.

Taking a much needed day off from the gym today. Just came back from a nice hour walk with my wife. More for relaxation and enjoyment then cardio. I was able to get some updated pics this morning. They were taken first thing this morning so I couldn't have been less pumped...lol. Anyways, I feel if I don't get them taken when I have the chance, the day goes by and it never gets done.

Weight is holding around 184-185.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RX MEMBER

Good job, nice abs.

So you got about 10 weeks to go right.

How's the diet, Hang in there, got a lot of time yet put the effort into it now for payoffs later.

Proud of ya

Quote Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
    Good job, nice abs.

So you got about 10 weeks to go right.

How's the diet, Hang in there, got a lot of time yet put the effort into it now for payoffs later.

Proud of ya
    Hey V-man...how's it going? Diet is fine...it never bothers me getting ready for a show in regards to dieting. I eat pretty bland and boring year round so I don't go through much in ways of cravings, etc.

Yeah, about 10 weeks left. Just gonna keep plugging away.

Hey V-man...how's it going? Diet is fine...it never bothers me getting ready for a show in regards to dieting. I eat pretty bland and boring year round so I don't go through much in ways of cravings, etc.

Yeah, about 10 weeks left. Just gonna keep plugging away.
    looking great bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfit View Post
    looking great bro!
    Thanks, Hammer. Appreciate the support. I'm about 10 weeks out so I plan on turning it up a notch this week. You must be psyched you're coming up on the home stretch for your contest....anything planned after that contest in a couple of weeks?

Thanks, Hammer. Appreciate the support. I'm about 10 weeks out so I plan on turning it up a notch this week. You must be psyched you're coming up on the home stretch for your contest....anything planned after that contest in a couple of weeks?
    Might do the Southeastern USA Sept 18th in Orlando.....depends on results at State and some sponsorship dollars

Congratulations on your victory this year, Kevin. I have seen some pics and you looked great.

I appreciate your input on my training. I think our philosophies differ slightly. In regards to weight, I always use a weight that I can perform good controlled reps with a full range of motion. I never just pile weight on a bar to just try to get the weight up in some uncontrolled fashion. In regards to the number of reps, I kind of cycle my training. I have periods of training in the 4-6 rep range while other times I'm in the 8-10 rep range. On occasional days, when I'm feeling good, I enjoy pushing out a single or double rep. It's not a regular part of my training, but I feel that it helps increase my overall strength for future training.

I have found that training heavy, right up to the time of the show, helps maintain thickness. I'm not one to start performing high reps (12-15+) just because I'm prepping for a contest. Some guys do that thinking that it helps get them ripped. My philosophy is that diet and cardio (when needed) is what gets you shredded. Weight training is for muscle size and thickness.

By the way, good to see you posting in the masters forum!
    Thanks Joe! You're right. We all have different approaches but our goal is the same thing. To look our best on stage. Diet is the most important thing in conditioning...cardio depending on the person, some need it some don't. I wish I could push the weights around for legs that you are now. I used to do so but my back and knees are so messed up that's why I had to switch my leg workouts dramatically. You look like you should come down nicely and do really well as a welter. I'll be pullin for you at next year's Master Nats!
    Kevin

Today was leg day. I was thinking about it all day, as I was planning on having a heavy ass squat workout. I felt really good this morning and was in the mood to pile on some weight this afternoon. Well, I got to the gym, warmed-up, and started squatting. It just wasn't there today. That's the thing with weight training. Some days you want to go heavy and don't have it. Other days, I plan on a moderate weight workout and set personal records. I guess it's something I'll never be able to figure out.

By the time I hit 365 today, I felt like I had a house on my back. I knew I wasn't going to go any heavier. I therefore decided to just kill myself with reps today. I think I did a good job as I was soaked in sweat by the time I was done and I could barely walk out of the place. Please note that I do not cheat on my squats. I sink my ass way down and get a great pump thru my glutes and legs.

Squats: Warm-up sets with 135, 225, 275, and 315. 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 x 12, 315 X 15, 315 X 15, 315 x 15

Leg press (cybex squat press): 14 plates X 15, 16 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15

Leg Extensions: 120 x 15 (5 sets)

In a matter of one hour I was toast. Sometimes pushing through days like this with some higher reps will set me up for a heavy squat workout the following week. We'll see what happens.

Today was leg day. I was thinking about it all day, as I was planning on having a heavy ass squat workout. I felt really good this morning and was in the mood to pile on some weight this afternoon. Well, I got to the gym, warmed-up, and started squatting. It just wasn't there today. That's the thing with weight training. Some days you want to go heavy and don't have it. Other days, I plan on a moderate weight workout and set personal records. I guess it's something I'll never be able to figure out.

By the time I hit 365 today, I felt like I had a house on my back. I knew I wasn't going to go any heavier. I therefore decided to just kill myself with reps today. I think I did a good job as I was soaked in sweat by the time I was done and I could barely walk out of the place. Please note that I do not cheat on my squats. I sink my ass way down and get a great pump thru my glutes and legs.

Squats: Warm-up sets with 135, 225, 275, and 315. 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 x 12, 315 X 15, 315 X 15, 315 x 15

Leg press (cybex squat press): 14 plates X 15, 16 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15

Leg Extensions: 120 x 15 (5 sets)

In a matter of one hour I was toast. Sometimes pushing through days like this with some higher reps will set me up for a heavy squat workout the following week. We'll see what happens.
    Sounds like one of my kind of workouts...still heavier than I can do. Do you have problems with you lower back and knees? That's my issues. I wish I could still do the heavy leg workouts! I'm thinkin about having cortizone shots in my knees to get me thru the touch leg workouts to come gettin ready for Nationals in October.
    Kevin

Look on/ahead for 10 weeks out. Just keep hammering back and legs. Everything else is right on and will continue to improve hitting those two major areas. haven't seen old pic of you, however I am guessing you can really get that back looking like a mutant turtle shell! I think you will represent VERY well.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCouch View Post
    Sounds like one of my kind of workouts...still heavier than I can do. Do you have problems with you lower back and knees? That's my issues. I wish I could still do the heavy leg workouts! I'm thinkin about having cortizone shots in my knees to get me thru the touch leg workouts to come gettin ready for Nationals in October.
    Kevin
    I've been lucky over the years in regards to my knees and back. Never had any problems besides an occasional strain. I use to compete in judo and tore my ACL many years ago. I had it repaired at the time and have not had any trouble since. I would be careful in regards to cortisone shots. In the long term, it may do you more harm than good. Cortisone can cause joint erosion, especially if used on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by axioma View Post
    Look on/ahead for 10 weeks out. Just keep hammering back and legs. Everything else is right on and will continue to improve hitting those two major areas. haven't seen old pic of you, however I am guessing you can really get that back looking like a mutant turtle shell! I think you will represent VERY well.
    Thanks, I'm hammering away at all areas (particularly the weak ones). I'm playing around with a few new things this time so we'll see how it goes. I'd like to end up in the low 170's for this contest. Then, depending on how I look, I will either suck down to a welter next year (165) or try to fill out as a middleweight.

Well, I woke up this morning feeling like I was hit by a truck yesterday. I knew right away that leg day was successful yesterday. I know that if I told anyone else that I enjoyed walking around today in pain they would think I'm crazy. However, I can say it here because I know you all enjoy it too...lol.

This afternoon was chest. I hit it pretty hard, quick, and intense. It felt good.

Bench: 275 X 9, 275 x 8, 275 X 8

Incline Bench: 225 X 8, 225 X 8, 225 X 8 drop to 185 X 8 drop to 135 X 8, 225 X 6 drop to 185 X 7 drop to 135 X 8
    (The two incline drop sets pretty much smoked me. Didn't have much left after that.)

Flat DB: 90 X 8, 90 X 8, 90 X 7 drop to 70 X 5 drop to 55 X 5, 90 X 6 drop to 70 X 4 drop to 55 X 4

Finished the workout with about 10 minutes of abs. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day. Will definitely need it.

RX MEMBER

You can always tell when its after leg day. And your floor at home is littered with dirty laundry cause your too sore to bend over and pick it up. And putting on a pair of underwear and pants is torture. lol

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast