Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Knee and Elbow Sleeves

Anybody using these for training instead of neoprene sleeves or the olds Ace elbow sleeves like Dorian use to wear? Here's an article that talks about adding to longevity in training and cutting down on warmup time by wear them.

The Knee Sleeve CONTROVERSY

Posted Dec 12 2008 2:57pm
    I just posted this on a training forum, but figured it was good enough for the blog! Hopefully it explains why I recommend the use of knee sleeves with weight training. Enjoy!

I guess I’m a little confused as to why there’s so much controversy surrounding this topic.Evidently, everything that’s written in an article these days must be supported by mounds of scientific evidence.
    With that being said, here’s how and why I got interested in knee sleeves.

I was originally turned on to the idea by Australian strength coach Ian King.In a personal communication with Coach King, he stated that he had endured 10+ knee surgeries.He also stated that knee sleeves were part of the equation he used to nurse himself back to health and competition.He used the knee sleeves with all of his athletes, who also reported improved sense of well-being.

As if that wasn’t enough, I began speaking with two-time IPF World Heavyweight Powerlifting Champion Brad Gillingham about knee sleeves as well.Brad is not only super strong (over an 850 pound squat and deadlift!), but he’s no young buck either; Brad is over 40 and still going strong in a brutally demanding sport.He stated that the knee sleeves decreased his warm-up time, increased joint temperature and, again, improved his psychological well-being.He went on to state that the following Elite level lifters used knee sleeves as well:

Liz Willette (600+ pound squat as a female) Greg Wagner (800+ pound squat at 275)
    Nick Tylutki (800+ pound squat at 242)
    Ray Benemerito (750 pound squat at 198)
    Shawn Culnan (800+ pound squat at 275)
    Pat McGettigan (Not sure of weights, but super strong)

So right then and there I decided that if I started using these at a young age, it would most likely improve my joint health both now and in the future.But I’m willing to admit that this is all anecdotal evidence, albeit from highly qualified athletes and coaches.

Returning to the rationale for use, there’s basically three reasons that people use knee sleeves:

- Increased joint temperature/improved joint lubrication - Improved proprioception
    - Improved psychological well-being

It’s pretty common knowledge that any time you significantly increase joint temperature, you’re going to improve lubrication at the joint and a decrease in the viscosity of synovial fluid.Yet another reason why warming up is actually good for you.

If you look at the scientific research on proprioception when using knee sleeves, the conclusions are pretty equivocal.The issue I have with these studies (as I do with most weight-training studies) is the fact that they use “healthy” college students to perform the tests.What is healthy?Have they weight trained extensively?Are they familiar with the machines or exercises they’ll be using?If you want to determine the efficacy of a training aid such as knee sleeves, use a well-trained population.I know this is not always an option, but it needs to be stated that this a limitation of most current strength training research.

Finally, while it can’t be assessed or determined scientifically, the Birmingham 1998 study mentioned that 72% of subjects FELT that the sleeves improved their performance.Now I realize this isn’t “scientific,” but is anyone else here ready to refute the psychological influence on performance?I don’t know about you, but if I FEEL like something is going to improve my performance, chances are it’s probably going to help, and it’s definitely not going to do anything to impair it.

I hope this clears things up.I understand what my biases are, but when it comes down to it, I’m always going to lean towards learning from people who are in the field and getting results versus guys in lab coats who are arguing minutia.In my opinion, the list of elite strength trainers and coaches alone was enough to convince me to use knee sleeves and recommend them to the people I train.

Stay strong MR

Photos of them:
    Attached Images Attached Images

BARBARIAN BROTHER Diabetic Muscle's Avatar

I'm a firm believer in knee sleeves. I need to get a pair of elbow sleeves, will definitely be going with APT.

Forum Leader: Rx Strength Headquarters robert da strongman's Avatar

i like APT's products but i would never trade my Rehband for anything. 6 years old and still like new.

big believer in sleeves...more so as i get older...

I only started using the rehband knee sleeves about a year ago, based primarily on recommendations of people from this site. I've had bad knees that have become progressively worse since I was in my 20s. The knee sleeves are the best thing since glucosamine. I actually used to dread leg day because of knee pain. I don't care whether its support, psychology or heat. The fact that my knees don't feel like they are on fire for 3 days after squatting makes them worth it to me..

They also have a sound deadening property. I'm sure it's a psychological benefit that I don't hear my knees popping and creaking as I squat.

Been lifting since 1977; never wrapped once, never been hurt and just started wearing Rehbands about 18 months ago.

BARBARIAN BROTHER

I've got those red APT elbow sleeves in the pic and the rehband knee sleeves too.

I agree with your post. I like to squat heavy but my left knee has been giving me some issues. I've been looking at prowristwraps.com for the past 6 months looking for the convicts and they always been sold out. Any one else know where I could find these sleeves anywhere else? Thanks!

Not sure what is going on with APT. I was trying for almost a year to get knee/elbow sleeves from them but finally had to go with elitefts.com One of the strongmen competitors I know has his own line through APT and he was on their ass for 4 months to get his order to him. APT better get this fixed before they lose all their buisness.

Are the Rehband sleeves made of neoprene? I've used neoprene sleeves before and I appear to be allergic to it. Leaves a rash almost like poison ivy or something. Little red dots that are kind of itchy and iritated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe293 View Post
    Anybody using these for training instead of neoprene sleeves or the olds Ace elbow sleeves like Dorian use to wear? Here's an article that talks about adding to longevity in training and cutting down on warmup time by wear them.

The Knee Sleeve CONTROVERSY

Posted Dec 12 2008 2:57pm
    I just posted this on a training forum, but figured it was good enough for the blog! Hopefully it explains why I recommend the use of knee sleeves with weight training. Enjoy!

I guess I’m a little confused as to why there’s so much controversy surrounding this topic.Evidently, everything that’s written in an article these days must be supported by mounds of scientific evidence.
    With that being said, here’s how and why I got interested in knee sleeves.

I was originally turned on to the idea by Australian strength coach Ian King.In a personal communication with Coach King, he stated that he had endured 10+ knee surgeries.He also stated that knee sleeves were part of the equation he used to nurse himself back to health and competition.He used the knee sleeves with all of his athletes, who also reported improved sense of well-being.

As if that wasn’t enough, I began speaking with two-time IPF World Heavyweight Powerlifting Champion Brad Gillingham about knee sleeves as well.Brad is not only super strong (over an 850 pound squat and deadlift!), but he’s no young buck either; Brad is over 40 and still going strong in a brutally demanding sport.He stated that the knee sleeves decreased his warm-up time, increased joint temperature and, again, improved his psychological well-being.He went on to state that the following Elite level lifters used knee sleeves as well:

Liz Willette (600+ pound squat as a female) Greg Wagner (800+ pound squat at 275)
    Nick Tylutki (800+ pound squat at 242)
    Ray Benemerito (750 pound squat at 198)
    Shawn Culnan (800+ pound squat at 275)
    Pat McGettigan (Not sure of weights, but super strong)

So right then and there I decided that if I started using these at a young age, it would most likely improve my joint health both now and in the future.But I’m willing to admit that this is all anecdotal evidence, albeit from highly qualified athletes and coaches.

Returning to the rationale for use, there’s basically three reasons that people use knee sleeves:

- Increased joint temperature/improved joint lubrication - Improved proprioception
    - Improved psychological well-being

It’s pretty common knowledge that any time you significantly increase joint temperature, you’re going to improve lubrication at the joint and a decrease in the viscosity of synovial fluid.Yet another reason why warming up is actually good for you.

If you look at the scientific research on proprioception when using knee sleeves, the conclusions are pretty equivocal.The issue I have with these studies (as I do with most weight-training studies) is the fact that they use “healthy” college students to perform the tests.What is healthy?Have they weight trained extensively?Are they familiar with the machines or exercises they’ll be using?If you want to determine the efficacy of a training aid such as knee sleeves, use a well-trained population.I know this is not always an option, but it needs to be stated that this a limitation of most current strength training research.

Finally, while it can’t be assessed or determined scientifically, the Birmingham 1998 study mentioned that 72% of subjects FELT that the sleeves improved their performance.Now I realize this isn’t “scientific,” but is anyone else here ready to refute the psychological influence on performance?I don’t know about you, but if I FEEL like something is going to improve my performance, chances are it’s probably going to help, and it’s definitely not going to do anything to impair it.

I hope this clears things up.I understand what my biases are, but when it comes down to it, I’m always going to lean towards learning from people who are in the field and getting results versus guys in lab coats who are arguing minutia.In my opinion, the list of elite strength trainers and coaches alone was enough to convince me to use knee sleeves and recommend them to the people I train.

Stay strong MR

Photos of them:

Strange you're mentioning Dorian, when not so long ago on some video he was strongly against using any kind of warping your joints thing.
    He said that this way you only make things worst because joints are just more compressed.

here 14:25 : http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/...-training.html

Sleeves have been a great add to my training. Like others have said the knee sleeves just give me that extra bit of confidence to lift without second guessing myself. The elbow sleeves have been good as well but I am trying to use them only for heavy lifting.

Which of the Rehband models are you guys using?

I have the red and black ones on the right and love them.

BARBARIAN BROTHER

Quote Originally Posted by joe293 View Post
    Are the Rehband sleeves made of neoprene? I've used neoprene sleeves before and I appear to be allergic to it. Leaves a rash almost like poison ivy or something. Little red dots that are kind of itchy and iritated.

Email them bro!

They are great sleeves, hopefully you can use them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast