Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default elevated cortisol and reduced body fat?

recently, chris aceto suggested that increased cortisol might aid in decreases in body fat. sounds counterintuitive right? what do others think about this? below are some of the commentary from his personal thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Aceto
    Thanks; I hope to be writing some good stuff here and likely in Muscle Mag in the near future. Ok Cortisol. My view; its got a bum rap. It's a fat burner. Elevated cortisol levels allow for the maximum effect of both growth hormone and adrenaline. GH and adrenaline stimulate the body to break down body fat. If cortisol levels are elevated; you breakdown more fat then if they are not elevated. Cortisol also stimulates fat cell breakdown independent of GH and adrenaline levels. In other words, even if your body did not spike up asdrenaline levels or GH levels, cortisol can potentially tear down fat cells. What else? Cortisol stimulates ketone formation in the liver and ketones are STRONGLY anti-catabolic. They protect the muscles against muscle tissue breakdown. So; you could expect that elevated cortisol levels will make adrenaline and GH work better and kick up the production of ketones which will save muscle tissue. Wont find that in FLEX; until someone copies it . Now my blazen plug; (hope its ok John R) I have my own product that is , at its core, a stimulant. It's called Nordrenalean HSL and it increases adrenaline which, in turn targets fat cells to be broken down as fuel. By the way, the best results I think I saw with stimulant based fat loss products was the real Fastin (which is no longer available by a presciption) also known as phentermine. I saw folks (not bodybuilders) lose huge amounts of weight and body fat with it back in the late 1980's.

Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist
    i see. you might be referring to out fight or flight response. in the presense of an aversive conditon (i.e., stressful situation) corticotropin-releasing hormone signals our autonomic nervous system to "get ready to fight." appetite and our digestive system are depressed. as you suggested cortisol and adrenalin are released to mobilize carbs and fat as an energy source. (light bulb! lol) hence, reductions in body fat?!

but chris, that is the initial cascade of fight or flight. how does one maintain these elevated adrenaline and cortisol levels once "stress" discipates? how could we counter the chronic longer term effects of "stress induced" cortisol and body fat?

thank you. look forward to more of nordrenalean hsl and the ingredient profile.

Well thats where the diet is important; If you go high carbs, for most people, that will shut down the productive effects of the fight of flight fat burning hormones. I guess the answer; its in the diet. However, to reiterate, from a fundamental view; cortisol is part of the fat burning mix

Banned Rat Scum

He can hand-waive all he wants. it just doesnt jive with the data.

it doesn't jibe, either.

The hormone cortisol is produced in the adrenal cortex in response to adrenal cortical stimulating hormone (ACTH) produced in the pituitary gland. Cortisol plays an important role in regulating blood sugar, energy production, inflammation, the immune system and healing. If you have too little cortisol, you may suffer from fatigue, chronic fatigue, exhaustion and a disease of the endocrine system called Addison's disease. If your adrenal glands are producing too much cortisol, you may develop conditions such as weight gain, especially around the abdomen, depressed immune function with all of the consequences, accelerated aging and stomach ulcers.
    Recently, a lot of attention has been directed to the effects of excess cortisol on weight gain and on the difficulty in losing weight. Collectively, the various diet plans being promoted by a long list of diet gurus have a failure rate of approximately 93 to 97 percent. There are several reasons for this. One is clearly the difficulty in achieving behavioral modification in the face of easy availability of the wrong kind of foods, inherently sedentary lifestyles, and intense media programming. Another reason is that our hormones work against us, in the weight loss perspective. High cortisol levels is one of the culprits.

Banned

Default internet plagiarism

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD69 View Post
    The hormone cortisol is produced in the adrenal cortex in response to adrenal cortical stimulating hormone (ACTH) produced in the pituitary gland. Cortisol plays an important role in regulating blood sugar, energy production, inflammation, the immune system and healing. If you have too little cortisol, you may suffer from fatigue, chronic fatigue, exhaustion and a disease of the endocrine system called Addison's disease. If your adrenal glands are producing too much cortisol, you may develop conditions such as weight gain, especially around the abdomen, depressed immune function with all of the consequences, accelerated aging and stomach ulcers.
    Recently, a lot of attention has been directed to the effects of excess cortisol on weight gain and on the difficulty in losing weight. Collectively, the various diet plans being promoted by a long list of diet gurus have a failure rate of approximately 93 to 97 percent. There are several reasons for this. One is clearly the difficulty in achieving behavioral modification in the face of easy availability of the wrong kind of foods, inherently sedentary lifestyles, and intense media programming. Another reason is that our hormones work against us, in the weight loss perspective. High cortisol levels is one of the culprits.

and what exactly is your point? i'd warn you to be careful when cutting and pasting from sites without providing a reference. though many do it all the time, it typically devalues what you are trying to express.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pangloss View Post
    He can hand-waive all he wants. it just doesnt jive with the data.

please elaborate your thoughts.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

All I know (but don't really know) is that cortisol was indicted related to fat gain associated with beer drinking.

I turned 45 and stopped drinking to keep my cortisol level, uh, level. And to banish the beer gut.

Aceto had success with Jay Cutler and ex-wife Laura Creavalle, right?

Dunno about his cortisol commentary, but always interested in learning new things related to physique improvement.

Thanks for creating this thread, PT.

Banned Rat Scum

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist View Post
    please elaborate your thoughts.

well, first of all he provides zero facts. Only reasoning. everything on cort says its catabolic, and yet he reasons that cort-stimulated ketogenesis in the liver somehow changes that? Please, show me some fucking evidence.

i did not even look into the fat-burning stuff because his first argument about cort not being catabolic falls in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I have low normal am blood levels of cortisol, and plenty of midsection body fat.

I always heard high cortisol helped cause that (along with eating too much), so I seem to fit the o/p better.

Banned Rat Scum

Again, i did not check the validity of elevated cort in fat burning. I will probably look into it, but the assertion that elevated cort is good falls in the face of overwhelming evidence that its catabolic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    All I know (but don't really know) is that cortisol was indicted related to fat gain associated with beer drinking.

I turned 45 and stopped drinking to keep my cortisol level, uh, level. And to banish the beer gut.

Aceto had success with Jay Cutler and ex-wife Laura Creavalle, right?

Dunno about his cortisol commentary, but always interested in learning new things related to physique improvement.

Thanks for creating this thread, PT.

curt, thank you. so it's the increased cortisol and not all the empty calories from alcohol that causes beer bellies? we would never want that sort of "distended abdomen" either. lol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have low normal am blood levels of cortisol, and plenty of midsection body fat.

I always heard high cortisol helped cause that (along with eating too much), so I seem to fit the o/p better.

gman, yes this is quite counterintuitive. thus, the exploration is interesting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pangloss View Post
    Again, i did not check the validity of elevated cort in fat burning. I will probably look into it, but the assertion that elevated cort is good falls in the face of overwhelming evidence that its catabolic.

i am not sure if the question should be whether cortisol is anabolic or catabolic. in body fat reduction, we would want some catabolic effects right? of course the preference would be the breaking down of fat and not muscle tissure.

as i mentioned to aceto, cortisol levels should rise in response to fight or flight situations. thus, energy sources must be utilized from somewhere. however, the elevated cortisol is not chronic in this situation and likely could not be sustained.

Banned Rat Scum

i am not sure if the question should be whether cortisol is anabolic or catabolic. in body fat reduction, we would want some catabolic effects right? of course the preference would be the breaking down of fat and not muscle tissure.

as i mentioned to aceto, cortisol levels should rise in response to fight or flight situations. thus, energy sources must be utilized from somewhere. however, the elevated cortisol is not chronic in this situation and likely could not be sustained.

perhaps i misunderstood, but what i thought he was suggesting was that, while being fat-burning, cort would also be muscle sparing (by producing anti-catabolic ketone bodies), albeit with transient elevations...

I request that he produce one paper that suggests or says that transient cort elevation is muscle-sparing.

forgive me, i dont suffer reasoning well without direct support...

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

curt, thank you. so it's the increased cortisol and not all the empty calories from alcohol that causes beer bellies? we would never want that sort of "distended abdomen" either. lol.
    heh

Yes, I'm sure the empty calories contribute big time, however... somethingsomething.

What, I'm a food scientist?

http://www.google.com/search?q=corti...alcohol%2C+fat

One of those chemicals, cortisol, or stress hormone, is a powerful appetite trigger. And guess what we crave for when we are stressed? Candy, ice cream, cookies, potato chips, etc. These foods provide carbohydrates and fat to replenish the calories used when we respond to stress. But when the same thing happens day after day, it becomes toxic and we gain weight," writes Dr Pamela Peeke in her best seller Fight Fat After Forty.
    Dr Nalin Nag, Consultant in Internal Medicine, Inderprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, agrees with Dr Peeke. "Cortisol causes your liver to make excess sugar that your body doesn't really need. As a result, you begin to feel hungrier and begin to eat more," he says. And what's worse is, as Dr Peeke found, the extra calories consumed by the cortisol appetite trigger are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to one area of the body—the waistline. To avoid gaining toxic pounds, she advises we keep cortisol below the appetite-stimulating threshold in our bodies. "And this is best done by learning to keep stress at low levels in our lives," adds Dr Nag.
    Apart from the calorie-fest, drinking too much also reduces the number of fat calories you burn; plus it also increases your appetite. Here too, the culprit is the same—cortisol. Alcohol also tends to raise cortisol levels, sending fat to your belly.
    From: http://www.intoday.in/index.php?opti...cid=15&Itemid=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast