Default Are you a compulsive eater?

1. Do you eat when you're not hungry?
    2. Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
    3. Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating?
    4. Do you give too much time and thought to food?
    5. Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?
    6. Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?
    7. Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone?
    8. Is your weight affecting the way you live your life?
    9. Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal?
    10. Do you resent others telling you to "use a little willpower" to stop overeating?
    11. Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet "on your own" whenever you wish?
    12. Do you crave to eat at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime?
    13. Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?
    14. Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?
    15. Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy?

Default Binge Eating Disorder

How do I know if I have binge eating disorder?

Most of us overeat from time to time, and some of us often feel we have eaten more than we should have. Eating a lot of food does not necessarily mean that you have binge eating disorder. Experts generally agree that most people with serious binge eating problems often eat an unusually large amount of food and feel their eating is out of control. People with binge eating disorder also may:

1. eat much more quickly than usual during binge episodes
    2. eat until they are uncomfortably full
    3. eat large amounts of food even when they are not really hungry
    4. eat alone because they are embarrassed about the amount of food they eat
    5. feel disgusted, depressed, or guilty after overeating.

Binge eating also occurs in another eating disorder called bulimia nervosa. Persons with bulimia nervosa, however, usually purge, fast, or do strenuous exercise after they binge eat. Purging means vomiting or using a lot of diuretics (water pills) or laxatives to keep from gaining weight. Fasting is not eating for at least 24 hours. Strenuous exercise, in this case, means exercising for more than an hour just to keep from gaining weight after binge eating. Purging, fasting, and overexercising are dangerous ways to try to control your weight.

How common is binge eating disorder, and who is at risk?

Binge eating disorder is probably the most common eating disorder. Most people with this problem are either overweight or obese,* but normal-weight people also can have the disorder.

About 2 percent of all adults in the United States (as many as 4 million Americans) have binge eating disorder. About 10 to 15 percent of people who are mildly obese and who try to lose weight on their own or through commercial weight-loss programs have binge eating disorder. The disorder is even more common in people who are severely obese.

Binge eating disorder is a little more common in women than in men; three women for every two men have it. The disorder affects blacks as often as whites. No one knows how often it affects people in other ethnic groups.

People who are obese and have binge eating disorder often became overweight at a younger age than those without the disorder. They might also lose and gain back weight (yo-yo diet) more often.

* The 1998 NIH Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults define overweight as a body mass index (BMI) of 25 to 29.9 and obesity as a BMI of 30 or more. BMI is calculated by dividing weight (in kilograms) by height (in meters) squared.

What causes binge eating disorder?

No one knows for sure what causes binge eating disorder. As many as half of all people with binge eating disorder are depressed or have been depressed in the past. Whether depression causes binge eating disorder or whether binge eating disorder causes depression is not known.

It is also unclear if dieting and binge eating are related. Some people binge eat after dieting. Dieting here means skipping meals, not eating enough food each day, or avoiding certain kinds of food. These are unhealthy ways to try to change your body shape and weight.

Studies suggest that people with binge eating may have trouble handling some of their emotions. Many people who are binge eaters say that being angry, sad, bored, worried, or stressed can cause them to binge eat.

Certain behaviors and emotional problems are more common in people with binge eating disorder. These include abusing alcohol, acting quickly without thinking (impulsive behavior), not feeling in charge of themselves, not feeling a part of their communities, and not noticing and talking about their feelings.

Researchers are looking into how brain chemicals and metabolism (the way the body uses calories) affect binge eating disorder. Other research suggests that genes may be involved in binge eating, since the disorder often occurs in several members of the same family. This research is still in the early stages.

What are the complications of binge eating disorder?

People with binge eating disorder are usually very upset by their binge eating and may become depressed. Research has shown that people with binge eating disorder report more health problems, stress, trouble sleeping, and suicidal thoughts than people without an eating disorder do. People with binge eating disorder often feel bad about themselves and may miss work, school, or social activities to binge eat.

People with binge eating disorder may gain weight. Weight gain can lead to obesity, and obesity puts people at risk for many health problems, including:

* type 2 diabetes
    * high blood pressure
    * high blood cholesterol levels
    * gallbladder disease
    * heart disease
    * certain types of cancer.

Most people who binge eat, whether they are obese or not, feel ashamed and try to hide their problem. Often they become so good at hiding it that even close friends and family members do not know they binge eat.

Should people with binge eating disorder try to lose weight?

Many people with binge eating disorder are obese and have health problems because of their weight. They should try to lose weight and keep it off; however, research shows that long-term weight loss is more likely when a person has long-term control over his or her binge eating.

People with binge eating disorder who are obese may benefit from a weight-loss program that also offers treatment for eating disorders. However, some people with binge eating disorder may do just as well in a standard weight loss program as people who do not binge eat.

People who are not overweight should avoid trying to lose weight, because it sometimes makes their binge eating worse.

How can people with binge eating disorder be helped?

People with binge eating disorder should get help from a health professional such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or clinical social worker. There are several different ways to treat binge eating disorder.

* Cognitive-behavioral therapy teaches people how to keep track of their eating and change their unhealthy eating habits. It teaches them how to change the way they act in tough situations. It also helps them feel better about their body shape and weight.
    * Interpersonal psychotherapy helps people look at their relationships with friends and family and make changes in problem areas.
    * Drug therapy, such as antidepressants, may be helpful for some people.

The methods mentioned here seem to be equally helpful. Researchers are still trying to find the treatment that is the most helpful in controlling binge eating disorder. Other therapies being tried include dialectical behavior therapy, which helps people regulate their emotions; drug therapy with the anti-seizure medication topiramate; weight loss surgery (gastrointestinal surgery); exercise used alone or in combination with cognitive-behavioral therapy; and self-help. Self-help books, videos, and groups have helped some people to control their binge eating.

You are not alone.

If you think you might have binge eating disorder, it is important to know that you are not alone. Most people who have the disorder have tried but failed to control it on their own. You may want to get professional help. Talk to your health care provider about the type of help that may be best for you. The good news is that most people do well in treatment and can overcome binge eating.

For More Information

For more information, contact one of the centers listed below.*

National Eating Disorder Association
    Information and Referral Program
    603 Stewart Street, Suite 803
    Seattle, WA 98101
    1-800-931-2237
    (206) 382-3587
    (206) 829-8501 (fax)
    Web: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
    Email: [email protected]

Academy for Eating Disorders
    6728 Old McLean Village Drive
    McLean, VA 22101
    (703) 556-9222
    (703) 556-8729 (fax)
    Web: http://www.aedweb.org/
    Email: [email protected]

Thank you for this.. I have heard A lot of female bodybuilders go through this.. I for one was a binge eater... and I atill have to watch.. I am in the belief that it is primarily due to carbs ... insulin changes and hormonal changes I find trigger me to have emotional binge eating.. I will be completely honest - sticking to a keto diet has not had me even want to binge....My craving is gone for the sweets I used to gorge myself with long after they tasted good, i continued to eat and eat and eat.. It is true you get very good at hiding and are ashamed you are not the perfect "dieter" or role model... I am sure it has something to do with my levels being stabilized from lack of refined sugars.. On the flipside, I have heard that even on the Keto diet some binge on butters and fatty foods... Has anyone else had this type of experience?

Yes. I binge on nuts sometimes but I find it's easier to not binge when on keto. I have more control now. Before I started keto I binged on oats and then went crazy on all other sorts of carbs too.

Angela123

im not trying to say you ladies do not suffer, i would never say that...but it does seem your binging is food/diet related. a person who suffers from a compulsive binge eating disorder has many under lieing issues. the binges and food obsession are caused by many issues. there are many emotional and mental problems that go along with binge eating. and it is not cured that easily, by just switching to a keto diet.

again...im not saying you do not suffer...but i think many people get certain mental illnesses (eating disorders, food issues and obsessive compulsive disorder) and the rituals and effects of bodybuilding confused. i am not a dr and do not know the scientific terms, but when your body is in starvation mode and dieting, you do hold more of a chance to binge. and the weeks following a show, yes, it is more common to binge. and whn u do binge in the middle of a diet, it doesnt make you a compulsive binge eater sufferer. it is just your body and chemicals not being able to handle the strict diet and then the extra food that is going into ur body. as the first poster stated, when this happens, it has to do with the horomones and insulin changes. a compulsuve binge eater, binges all year long, even when they are not dieting and when their hormones and insulin are normal. a binger will binge on 2000 calories in 30 min, wait an hr or so and binge on another 2000 cal, after eating normal meals for the whole day. they do not binge bc of dieting or starvation.

also, a lot of bb go back to normal a few wks later or even a few days. when i hear a person say they suffer from a binge eating disorder bc they binged out for two days after their show or ate a container of ice cream...i just laugh in my head and wish my disorder was as simple as their 'disorder.' all this does not mean you suffer from the actual disorder. i think Tat posted a good link about the effects of binging and diet. its called the minnesota experiment or something like that. it goes along with how bb go on a binge after dieting. these people were put on a very very restictive diet, then were studied afterwards.

i always hear of how keto takes away the cravings of sugar and carbs...im still waiting for that lol. keto does not do that for me. i still crave the carbs and sugar and have had bad binges of carbs.

if anything...keto has caused my food problems to worsen. the keto diet is so, so, so restrictive, it has made me even more scared than regular food. i was scared before, but now it is worse. its pretty sad when im too scared to eat carrots or some fruit in offseason bc it is against the keto diet rules and contain 'sugar and carbs.
    Last edited by Angela123; 03-19-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondrea View Post
    im not trying to say you ladies do not suffer, i would never say that...but it does seem your binging is food/diet related. a person who suffers from a compulsive binge eating disorder has many under lieing issues. the binges and food obsession are caused by many issues. there are many emotional and mental problems that go along with binge eating. and it is not cured that easily, by just switching to a keto diet.

again...im not saying you do not suffer...but i think many people get certain mental illnesses (eating disorders, food issues and obsessive compulsive disorder) and the rituals and effects of bodybuilding confused. i am not a dr and do not know the scientific terms, but when your body is in starvation mode and dieting, you do hold more of a chance to binge. and the weeks following a show, yes, it is more common to binge. and whn u do binge in the middle of a diet, it doesnt make you a compulsive binge eater sufferer. it is just your body and chemicals not being able to handle the strict diet and then the extra food that is going into ur body. as the first poster stated, when this happens, it has to do with the horomones and insulin changes. a compulsuve binge eater, binges all year long, even when they are not dieting and when their hormones and insulin are normal. a binger will binge on 2000 calories in 30 min, wait an hr or so and binge on another 2000 cal, after eating normal meals for the whole day. they do not binge bc of dieting or starvation.

also, a lot of bb go back to normal a few wks later or even a few days. when i hear a person say they suffer from a binge eating disorder bc they binged out for two days after their show or ate a container of ice cream...i just laugh in my head and wish my disorder was as simple as their 'disorder.' all this does not mean you suffer from the actual disorder. i think Tat posted a good link about the effects of binging and diet. its called the minnesota experiment or something like that. it goes along with how bb go on a binge after dieting. these people were put on a very very restictive diet, then were studied afterwards.

i always hear of how keto takes away the cravings of sugar and carbs...im still waiting for that lol. keto does not do that for me. i still crave the carbs and sugar and have had bad binges of carbs.

if anything...keto has caused my food problems to worsen. the keto diet is so, so, so restrictive, it has made me even more scared than regular food. i was scared before, but now it is worse. its pretty sad when im too scared to eat carrots or some fruit in offseason bc it is against the keto diet rules and contain 'sugar and carbs.
    Hey Guys...
    I know there are certain disorders some mild some severe..
    I was a binge eater big time.... It was purely emotional and mental.. this was before I even thought or stepping on stage. I did not body build I simply was an athlete who played sports... . I went to a bodybuilding coach because I knew I had a problem and it was soo out of control.. People would wonder - If I "ate so healthy why was I so fat" Maybe it was fear people would know my problem and that is why i went for help... I bawled when i told her - i had not told ANYONE. no one knew - not even at home - "I am a perfect girl who only ate healthy!" I would eat constant and consistantly whenever I was driving and alone.... I would pull through at one time every night almost every take out window - tim hortons / mcdonalds then drive across town to Burger king... about 6 of them, I would hide the empty bags on the drivers seat so the girl at the window didn't know I had just ate.. I would air my car out, get rid of ANY strip of evidence, chew gum - floss - swish water so no shred of food would be noticed! .... I through again once I was alone...night after night ! My food orders were good for at least two people.. ... it would continue for a year! It was a disorder I developed... I had to get help - I didn't always have this... I still don't know why I did it... .... I gained so much weight ... I ate even when I felt the food wanted to come up..sick to my stomach... . I pulled over behind buildings in parking lots to try to throw up! ( it never did) I tried to purge - My body won't do it! I looked up emetics and was too scared to try them so I would sit and suffer everything I ate and cry. and as I cried- I went back for more.... I really mentally had and still have no idea what happened or what triggered it but I think have it under control now..... I think there are MANY who will NEVER admit they have this... its a strange strange thing. For some I guess dieting helps ..like with me - i'm sure there may be other factors in my life that have helped but I know this - Food is not on my mind 24/7 anymore where I want to go home just to sneak what no one will know I ate... for others I guess dieting hinders.. For me as funny as this sounds - telling more and more people about this lets me know - its under control... I don't know if it is the same for you or anyone - or if it is classified as binge eating, but I know how it made me feel and i am SURE I am not alone... Thank you for posting!!!!! WOW you know i actually can't believe I am going to post this!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugargirl View Post
    Hey Guys...
    I know there are certain disorders some mild some severe..
    I was a binge eater big time.... It was purely emotional and mental.. this was before I even thought or stepping on stage. I did not body build I simply was an athlete who played sports... . I went to a bodybuilding coach because I knew I had a problem and it was soo out of control.. People would wonder - If I "ate so healthy why was I so fat" Maybe it was fear people would know my problem and that is why i went for help... I bawled when i told her - i had not told ANYONE. no one knew - not even at home - "I am a perfect girl who only ate healthy!" I would eat constant and consistantly whenever I was driving and alone.... I would pull through at one time every night almost every take out window - tim hortons / mcdonalds then drive across town to Burger king... about 6 of them, I would hide the empty bags on the drivers seat so the girl at the window didn't know I had just ate.. I would air my car out, get rid of ANY strip of evidence, chew gum - floss - swish water so no shred of food would be noticed! .... I through again once I was alone...night after night ! My food orders were good for at least two people.. ... it would continue for a year! It was a disorder I developed... I had to get help - I didn't always have this... I still don't know why I did it... .... I gained so much weight ... I ate even when I felt the food wanted to come up..sick to my stomach... . I pulled over behind buildings in parking lots to try to throw up! ( it never did) I tried to purge - My body won't do it! I looked up emetics and was too scared to try them so I would sit and suffer everything I ate and cry. and as I cried- I went back for more.... I really mentally had and still have no idea what happened or what triggered it but I think have it under control now..... I think there are MANY who will NEVER admit they have this... its a strange strange thing. For some I guess dieting helps ..like with me - i'm sure there may be other factors in my life that have helped but I know this - Food is not on my mind 24/7 anymore where I want to go home just to sneak what no one will know I ate... for others I guess dieting hinders.. For me as funny as this sounds - telling more and more people about this lets me know - its under control... I don't know if it is the same for you or anyone - or if it is classified as binge eating, but I know how it made me feel and i am SURE I am not alone... Thank you for posting!!!!! WOW you know i actually can't believe I am going to post this!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now that I've been going thru contest prep on & off for 9 years, and being the very self-analyzing person that I am, I can see the evolution of how I've gotten from there to here. I think it sometimes just takes time, maybe maturity and just generally getting more comfortable w/ yourself and accepting of yourself. Once you get past the emotional moments, you (or at least I) have the time and relaxed frame of mind to look back and pick out the root causes vs the emotion of it all.. I recall I used to punch myself in the stomach when I was around 16 because I couldnt' figure out how to manage my weight. I was probably only 10 lb overweight, but I was completely lost as to how to deal w/ it, my mom didn't help when she'd tell me stuff like "You're a big girl" and "Its ok".. but no real solution. And interestingly, when I did my first competition she'd ask me why I had to do it, and why couldn't I just be happy w/ the way I was... when the reality was, I finally was happy w/ myself and found the "secret" to how to get control of my body. It just pointed out how people around you react when you do something outside of what is the "average". I guess I see that people around you may be reacting more to the stress they feel you may be going thru, but I finally just stopped worrying about what she said and stuck w/ what I know makes me happy and gives me a sense of control. This all goes back to me being comfortable w/ "me" and me "owning" everything I do - good or bad.

Congrats! Its an amazingly liberating feeling when you don't have that sense of no control over things.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

wow..... - You never know what someone has went through - I'm happy you found your secret! one of my favorite quotes is
    "be kind for everyone is fighting a hard battle"

PENCILNECK Lil Powerhouse "Cione"'s Avatar
    Home town is Miami, now live in Sarasota, FL

How can people with binge eating disorder be helped?

People with binge eating disorder should get help from a health professional such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or clinical social worker. There are several different ways to treat binge eating disorder.

* Cognitive-behavioral therapy teaches people how to keep track of their eating and change their unhealthy eating habits. It teaches them how to change the way they act in tough situations. It also helps them feel better about their body shape and weight.
    * Interpersonal psychotherapy helps people look at their relationships with friends and family and make changes in problem areas.
    * Drug therapy, such as antidepressants, may be helpful for some people.

The methods mentioned here seem to be equally helpful. Researchers are still trying to find the treatment that is the most helpful in controlling binge eating disorder.

SHARED RESPONSE:

I have been in recovery from food addiction/compulsive eating for almost 17 years and utilize a sugar, wheat and flour free food plan coupled with a 12 step program. See www.kaysheppard.com

I have found that working an accountability program helps most people like us.

I would not be able to compete if I did not have this kind of program in place as competing and be a feeding ground for an addict but there is hope and I am doing this abstinently from binging.

I appreciate the thread.

Nyla
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fit2give.com
    Last edited by Lil Powerhouse "Cione"; 04-05-2009 at 01:19 PM.