Default Powder or Pill (I HATE GNC douchbags)

I was visiting my friendly neighborhood GNC (aka unGodly expensive supplement central) , and while picking up a bottle of MegaMan Multivitamin (SPORTS), the guy working there proceeds to lecture me for 55 minutes on how pills are the absolute worst form of consumption to have ever existed.

Apparently, your body's only optimal way of absorbing nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc, is through powder and liquid form.

I take my multivitamins, minerals, Omega 3s, and Glucosamine in pill form..... this dude tells me it's a total waste of money, as it will never be absorbed as well as a powder form (or liquid form in the case of omega 3s).

Is this douche strictly trying to sell me on powders... or is he legit?

PS: Does it annoy anybody else to receive nutrition and training advice from these guys at GNC that are 120 lbs, and seem to think that the key to unlocking muscle is to try and sample every single GNC product on the planet.

I hate supplement stores, I order everything online now, because I don't need no stinking unsolicited advice from some chump that started lifting last year.

He's full of shit. I have no literature to back up my statement.

First, let me say that I hate going to GNC too, that's why I never do. I too cannot stand seeing some 120lb weekling trying to tell me shit like he knows what the hell he's talking about. I'd become furious if he was a chatty cathy for 55 min, I'd be like shit-u wanna date....leave me alone

In this case however, I can agree that the body would absorb powder and liquids easier. It only makes sense. While in tablet form your body has to break it down just to get into a powdered form. Tablets have binders that make them able to shape into the circular pill you take, not that these are out right bad it just makes it slightly more difficult/longer to get into your system.

I dont see anything wrong with the capsules though as their outer gelatin like coating is easier to break apart in the gut than tablets.

That said though, I still take pills but if I had the option and money or time wasn't a factor I'd opt for liquid cap or regular cap.

I would have to call bullshit on his statement...oral steroids work very well (although your liver can pay the price) that pretty much answers it right there for me. You ever see injectable Ibuprofen or Vicodin? I can't imagine vitamins and minerals being any different.

And yes, supplement store sales people are retarded and a half. I went into my local store and bought some ZMA, Salesclerk says "remember, don't take it with calcium supplemements". "Why" asks the curious customer (that's me). This is where he proves not all retards have big tongues and funny looking faces "because that's what it says on the bottle" Are fuckin kidding me?!?!?! hahah

I never said they dont work but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a big tablet would take longer to digest and break down than powder or liquid. Plus the size of the tablet has to be considered, dbol is a tiny tablet

I totally agree. Maybe i came off a little too harsh. I'm sure the powders might be quicker absorbed and possibly better utilized by the body but to say that pills are garbage and a waste is stupid. Not to mention if i were his manager i would slap him because as sales persons you should NEVER knock any of the products that you sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jnickels View Post
    I totally agree. Maybe i came off a little too harsh. I'm sure the powders might be quicker absorbed and possibly better utilized by the body but to say that pills are garbage and a waste is stupid. Not to mention if i were his manager i would slap him because as sales persons you should NEVER knock any of the products that you sell.
    Agree.

Shit, I'm a pill poppin fool actually. They make more practical sense its just some (not all) take an awful long time to break down. My buddy got an x-ray done and his doc showed him a bunch of tiny dark spots in his stomach which he told him were his pills not digesting. I'm sure they eventually broke down, but when I want a quick fix like say when I'm stressed and want to pop a xanax. I always chew it first.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by MeatHead4Life View Post
    I was visiting my friendly neighborhood GNC (aka unGodly expensive supplement central) , and while picking up a bottle of MegaMan Multivitamin (SPORTS), the guy working there proceeds to lecture me for 55 minutes on how pills are the absolute worst form of consumption to have ever existed.

Apparently, your body's only optimal way of absorbing nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc, is through powder and liquid form.

I take my multivitamins, minerals, Omega 3s, and Glucosamine in pill form..... this dude tells me it's a total waste of money, as it will never be absorbed as well as a powder form (or liquid form in the case of omega 3s).

Is this douche strictly trying to sell me on powders... or is he legit?

PS: Does it annoy anybody else to receive nutrition and training advice from these guys at GNC that are 120 lbs, and seem to think that the key to unlocking muscle is to try and sample every single GNC product on the planet.

Powders and liquids will absorb easier, but pills aren't a waste of time. I hate GNC with a passion.

the gnc workers are all Dutch bags ! they piss me off all the time ... never tells u the truth.. On anything you point your finger they say i tried this product and its amazing.

this dude tells me it's a total waste of money, as it will never be absorbed as well as a powder form (or liquid form in the case of omega 3s).
    If it will never be absorbed in powder form, tell him to swallow 100mg X 10 DNP or 50mg Zinc X 10 with some Iron 50mg X 10 since they'll never be absorbed there shouldn't be any danger.

Absorption time will take longer with the pill/capsule (obviously) but everything will be absorbed eventually, if you want to speed things up, crush the tabs, empty the caps and put em in your drink or food, but they probably taste like shit, which is why they're in a cap or tab to begin with.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by •P®øD¶G¥• View Post
    If it will never be absorbed in powder form, tell him to swallow 100mg X 10 DNP or 50mg Zinc X 10 with some Iron 50mg X 10 since they'll never be absorbed there shouldn't be any danger.

Absorption time will take longer with the pill/capsule (obviously) but everything will be absorbed eventually, if you want to speed things up, crush the tabs, empty the caps and put em in your drink or food, but they probably taste like shit, which is why they're in a cap or tab to begin with.

Lol; that's awesome!

The Bodybuilding Golf Pro Manavs's Avatar

aside from being a douchebag - unfortunately he is partially right. it all depends on how firmly pressed the tablets are so his blanket statement is bulldhit. if the tab is pressed too hard then yes they wont dissolve in the stomach.

anecdotally speaking - i have a friend who is a plumber in ny city. he told me that the number one thing caught in the city's water/sewage treatment plant screens is undigested centrum vitamins.

another friend working at a local vitamin shoppe who is a medical research student at Texas A&M told me he tested a few of the stuff on the shelves. simple test take some hydrochloric acid in a beaker and toss in a tablet. wait and count how long it takes to dissolve. he told me one companies NO tablet - the paint came off but the tablet didnt ever dissolve. another vitamin he said didnt dissolve. this is a simple enough test for anyone to do.

(BTW - I gave him one of my ALRI Humapro tablets by the way and it dissolved in exactly 21 mins like ALR said it would)

The Bodybuilding Golf Pro Manavs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by •P®øD¶G¥• View Post

HAHA thats brilliant! reps!!!

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Manavs View Post
    aside from being a douchebag - unfortunately he is partially right. it all depends on how firmly pressed the tablets are so his blanket statement is bulldhit. if the tab is pressed too hard then yes they wont dissolve in the stomach.

anecdotally speaking - i have a friend who is a plumber in ny city. he told me that the number one thing caught in the city's water/sewage treatment plant screens is undigested centrum vitamins.

another friend working at a local vitamin shoppe who is a medical research student at Texas A&M told me he tested a few of the stuff on the shelves. simple test take some hydrochloric acid in a beaker and toss in a tablet. wait and count how long it takes to dissolve. he told me one companies NO tablet - the paint came off but the tablet didnt ever dissolve. another vitamin he said didnt dissolve. this is a simple enough test for anyone to do.

(BTW - I gave him one of my ALRI Humapro tablets by the way and it dissolved in exactly 21 mins like ALR said it would)

And the fix...chew your pills. Have you ever done it? It's freaking disgusting!