Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Default UPDATED 11/9/10 with CRITERIA - Womens Physique Division Answers

Bob Chick here...

I've been granted special permission to post here in regards to answering and clarifying any questions and concerns about the new WPD...

I see there is a great deal of misinformation, out of context quoting, and assuming going on (no big surprise)...

Let this thread be the means to clearing up any gray area to the current status of WPD, FBB, or any other NPC/ IFBB questions you may have...

Official information will be out shortly, as we are putting together the particulars as we speak. All official notifications will come directly from Jim Manion and the IFBB Pro Division as well as the NPC National office.

Bring it on...

---------

Updated 11/9/10 by TAMMYP:

WOMENS PHYSIQUE (WP)

DEFINITION:
    Women’s physique division (herein referred to as “WP”) has been created to give a platform for women who enjoy weight training, competing and contest preparation. Competitors should display a toned, athletic physique showcasing femininity, muscle tone, beauty/ flow of physique.

JUDGING CRITERIA:

WP WILL BE JUDGED ON THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
    * Symmetry, Shape, Proportion, Muscle Tone, Poise and Beauty Flow
    * Physique assessment and comparison will take place during prejudging

Physique should display all of the above criteria without compromising femininity, beauty/ flow of physique, etc.

The following are examples of common terms used in the bodybuilding industry. These words can be helpful to assess what should not be descriptive to the physiques being judged in WP:

ex.ripped, shredded, peeled, striated, dry, diced, hard, vascular, grainy, massive, thick, dense, etc.

While all types of physiques will be considered when it comes to height, weight, structure, etc. excessive muscularity should be scored down accordingly.

WP should be judged as a standard between women’s bodybuilding.

JUDGING FORMAT:

PREJUDGING
    - Individual one minute routine with 10 second warning
    - Quarter turns
    - mandatory posing comparisons/callouts

FINALS
    Individual posing routine

AWARDS:
    Who qualifies for professional status – at Junior USA and Junior Nationals the top two qualify for professional status, at all other National events including Team Universe, USA, North American and Nationals, the top three will qualify for pro status. We want to set the standard for 2010 at the Junior Events and therefore we are only qualifying the top two.

RULES:
    *Suits worn by WP competitors for prejudging must be a two piece. Suits do not have to be solid in color. The bottom of the suit must be v-shaped. No thongs are permitted. Competitors can compete in an off the rack suit. All suits must be in good taste.

*Mandatory poses will be performed with open hand style and include the following poses:
    - Front double biceps/ open hands (no flat footed full front pose – some sort of front twisting pose)
    - Back double biceps/ open hands
    - Side tricep with leg extended
    - Side chest with arms extended
    - Front ab/ thigh

*Finals routine will be maximum 90 seconds in length, performed to music of athletes choice adhering to rules set forth by the NPC.
    *Music containing profanity or explicit language should not be used and may result in routine being cut short.
    *No props will be used.
    *No heels may be worn at any time during the competition/judging of WP

–FLEXonline.com

IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

thanks bob for doing this...

i speak for many here when i say..

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THIS NEW DIVISION LOOK LIKE???
    APS HI TECH PHARMACEUTICALS ATHLETE
    Hersuppz.com code TAMMY
    www.team-tammyfitness.com
    pushpullgrind.com code TEAM TAMMY

Thanks Bob for taking the time.
    I second Tammy's Question

Thanks for posting Bob - you know the women involved in the NPC / IFBB are very dedicated to our respective sports and these changes affect all of us.

From reading the various threads around the web, here are the primary details I've picked up and the outstanding questions:

- will be barefoot (not shoes like Figure)
    - there will be at least 6 shows in 2011 including WPD, with those shows listed so far being the major national shows (e.g. USAs, Nationals, etc.)
    QUESTION: Who is qualified to compete in this category w/ no national qualifiers scheduled in 2011?
    - the look is Figure but more musle , but not as much as FBB
    QUESTION: Is there a more objective description that doesnt' involve posting pictures of "representative" competitors - not everyone has the same shape, and most are just selected standouts of existing categories
    - WPD doesn't literally replace FBB so will be added to the current list of Fitness, Bikini, Figure and FBB for NPC / IFBB women's categories. FBB is expected to phase ITSELF out by around 2012.
    QUESTION: Does this mean that all of the shows in 2012 will just simply no longer include FBB categories?
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

Hi, Bob. Thanks for coming to Rx to answer questions. Your user title has been changed to reflect your rep status.

OK, I'll be one of the first to bite......

1. Some of your comments that you've made over on the getbig thread in regards to this new division at least seem contradictory:

"It will not replacing WBB, it's a whole different division"

"WBB has phased itself out with numbers dwindling to the point that we can no longer justify it"

Question from Tre Scott asked on the getbig thread: "Oh, just to clarify:
    Women's bodybuilding will continue to exist in addition to the new WPD?"

Your reply: "not necessarily... as the numbers of FBB continue to decline, the plug will have to be pulled at some point. Womens BB has become obsolete."

I at least have interpreted your comments as such: that the IFBB intends to eventually let WBB as it currently stands to "die on the vine" so to speak, and concentrate more of its efforts on this new division. So to clear things up once and for all for everyone, straight up and no BS: is it the intention of the IFBB/NPC to eventually (not immediately) get rid of the existing women's bodybuilding division and replace it with this new physique division?

2. Was this decision to create such a division made after requesting and getting the feedback from a majority of the female bodybuilders in both the IFBB and NPC, or was it made arbitrarily by the powers that be in those organizations without getting such feedback??

3. Why was the decision made to create such a division rather than to institute a Classic Women's Bodybuilding division with height/weight class restrictions similar to the ones already implemented by the IFBB in Norway, the Netherlands, Finland and most recently (according to IFBB pro Helle Nielsen) Denmark??

Thanks for your willingness to answer our questions.
    "A worthy woman who can find? For her value is far above rubies. She girds herself with strength, and makes her arms strong." -Proverbs 31: 10, 17

Will any woman with an IFBB Pro card be eligible to compete as a pro in this new division?

(Nice seeing you here, Bob-o)

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

FYI - There's nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing, but there will be zero tolerance in this thread for disrespect or attacks against the IFBB, NPC and/or their reps. We're fortunate enough to have Bob here on his own free time to help shed light on this new division, so please keep that in mind when posting.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAnne View Post
    FYI - There's nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing, but there will be zero tolerance in this thread for disrespect or attacks against the IFBB, NPC and/or their reps. We're fortunate enough to have Bob here on his own free time to help shed light on this new division, so please keep that in mind when posting.
    X100, SallyAnne.
    "A worthy woman who can find? For her value is far above rubies. She girds herself with strength, and makes her arms strong." -Proverbs 31: 10, 17

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    thanks bob for doing this...

i speak for many here when i say..

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THIS NEW DIVISION LOOK LIKE???
    I've posted various pics of examples...I'll do so here as well. Basically, were looking for slightly bigger than a "too big" figure competitor, and slightly smaller than a Lt Weight BB...smaller being relative to height, of course. A taller, bigger girl could certainly compete in this division....it's the LEVEL of muscularity that will be held in check, as well as the level of conditioning...

Meaning...were not looking for big , muscular and smooth....and not looking for small and ripped either...

Athletic looking, accentuating symmetry, proportion, shape, tone, posing, presentation, skin tone, beauty, poise....

Birmingham , alabama with my wonderful hubby aka saiyajinali

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Singerman View Post
    Will any woman with an IFBB Pro card be eligible to compete as a pro in this new division?

(Nice seeing you here, Bob-o)
    I can answer this because I asked Bob at getbig and the answer is yes

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I've posted various pics of examples...I'll do so here as well. Basically, were looking for slightly bigger than a "too big" figure competitor, and slightly smaller than a Lt Weight BB...smaller being relative to height, of course. A taller, bigger girl could certainly compete in this division....it's the LEVEL of muscularity that will be held in check, as well as the level of conditioning...

Meaning...were not looking for big , muscular and smooth....and not looking for small and ripped either...

Athletic looking, accentuating symmetry, proportion, shape, tone, posing, presentation, skin tone, beauty, poise....

Will there be anything like a required height : weight ratio to help better define this?

Also are the mandatory poses described somewhere?

Lastly, we would then expect the regional shows to start including WPD in 2012 and see FBB disappear from the schedules?
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by Femphysiquefan View Post
    OK, I'll be one of the first to bite......

1. Some of your comments that you've made over on the getbig thread in regards to this new division at least seem contradictory:

"It will not replacing WBB, it's a whole different division"

"WBB has phased itself out with numbers dwindling to the point that we can no longer justify it"

Question from Tre Scott asked on the getbig thread: "Oh, just to clarify:
    Women's bodybuilding will continue to exist in addition to the new WPD?"

Your reply: "not necessarily... as the numbers of FBB continue to decline, the plug will have to be pulled at some point. Womens BB has become obsolete."

I at least have interpreted your comments as such: that the IFBB intends to eventually let WBB as it currently stands to "die on the vine" so to speak, and concentrate more of its efforts on this new division. So to clear things up once and for all for everyone, straight up and no BS: is it the intention of the IFBB/NPC to eventually (not immediately) get rid of the existing women's bodybuilding division and replace it with this new physique division?

2. Was this decision to create such a division made after requesting and getting the feedback from a majority of the female bodybuilders in both the IFBB and NPC, or was it made arbitrarily by the powers that be in those organizations without getting such feedback??

3. Why was the decision made to create such a division rather than to institute a Classic Women's Bodybuilding division with height/weight class restrictions similar to the ones already implemented by the IFBB in Norway, the Netherlands, Finland and most recently (according to IFBB pro Helle Nielsen) Denmark??

Thanks for your willingness to answer our questions.

1. It's not a replacement...it's a whole different division which basically has nothing to do with FBB.

FBB HAS phased itself out, as numbers support (or dont support)

We have no "intention", as it would be...this division is being put into place regardless of whether FBB stays or goes...look at it as creating opportunity for thousands of girls who enjoy training and competing, but one that also has a fanbase of support and accepts the outline of what it is and represents

2. I've interviewed hundreds of FBB, and it's surprising to hear how much even THEY dont like whats it's become and what they feel they have to do in order to be competitive. Hate to qoute Spock...but the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

3. Bodybuilding is bodybuilding...classic or otherwise, there is no way to govern and control progress...and in BB, progress is measured in muscularity, conditioning. Ultimately, i's the use of "supps" that puts it over the top, and subsequently, out of touch with whats realistic to expect the paying public, etc, to support

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Will there be anything like a required height : weight ratio to help better define this?

Also are the mandatory poses described somewhere?

Lastly, we would then expect the regional shows to start including WPD in 2012 and see FBB disappear from the schedules?
    No...there wont be any "ratio" quotient used like in Europe...that opens up a whole new can of worms, and complaints. I assume eventually, well have to have a class separation based on height...but numbers will dictate that...

Yes, there will be mandatory poses and routines just like in FBB, except they will be softened up via open hand shots, etc...those are being put together as we speak

The master plan is for WPD to debut in 2011 with 6 qualifying shows, leading into a Pro division at start of the 2012. What happens to FBB remains to be seen...

Birmingham , alabama with my wonderful hubby aka saiyajinali

Hi Bob, welcome to rx and thanks for answering all our questions. I will say that I have met Bob many times personally over the years since right after he turned pro and he has always been a super nice guy so despite what he has said toward fbbrs in the past he has always treated me with respect.

My questions, will all the female bbing shows still run as usual in 2011 but not thereafter?
    I have seen pics or heard names of who will do well in the new division but it seems like the more muscular figure girls were brought up . My concern is that I train naturally and compete naturally(which I am so thrilled about)but I will still be too big because of my genetics. While the figures girls will be juicing up to achieve their look which I thought isnt what I would think the higher ups wanted. What is it that you are looking for with this new divsion and what message did you want to send. I am all for the girls being healthier and natural(or pretty close to it!)

Looking forward to hearing more on this and looking forward to working toward new goals(which I was gonna for next year anyways!)

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast