Page 314 of 516 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364414 ... LastLast
Results 4,696 to 4,710 of 7740

I'm glad you were blessed to see such a good Doctor!! Very glad your son is better, and isn't amazing how fast children can bounce back from sickness.

Btw thanks to you. There are a ton of guys at the gym that use shoulder 6-ways after seeing me do them.
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Granite-Dawg View Post
    I'm glad you were blessed to see such a good Doctor!! Very glad your son is better, and isn't amazing how fast children can bounce back from sickness.

Btw thanks to you. There are a ton of guys at the gym that use shoulder 6-ways after seeing me do them.
    True, it's amazing how resilient they are. But wow, he slept so much even I was worried, and sick kids don't often shake me up that much.

Great to know we've started a six ways trend! Next you will have them doing over & back presses (Meadows has YouTube vids if you Google) and the incline side-lying laterals that I do (they are killer with a 3-sec negative btw). You're welcome.
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 05-18-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    True, it's amazing how resilient they are. But wow, he slept so much even I was worried, and sick kids don't often shake me up that much.

Great to know we've started a six ways trend! Next you will have them doing over & back presses (Meadows has YouTube vids if you Google) and the incline side-lying laterals that I do (they are killer with a 3-sec negative btw). You're welcome.
    I will do my homework now. LOL
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

I'm glad your wee one is feeling better too!

Uh yeah...6 ways are making the rounds all over the boards! They are the devil!
    laughing-devil-smiley-emoticon.jpg

Default Monday...legs

Strange...I have not been able to get onto the forums all afternoon. Kept getting error messages. At least I'm here now.

Changes from last week:
    increased weight and reduced reps for leg curls
    donkey calves back into program, had omitted them a couple of weeks
    increased reps by 2 with the same weight on leg press

Express warmup
    - a little Nick Tumminello mobility work, a little chiro-presccribed mobility work

Donkey calves:
    2 warms
    6 x 3 pps x 12
    ^each set ss with 30 reps dorsiflexion

DB lying leg curl:
    1 warm
    3 x 40 x 12
    1 x 40 x 20 (rest paused to get the reps)

Leg press:
    warms with 1, 2, and 3 pps
    4 x 4 pps x 12 DEEP, feet a little wider than neutral and turned out

Smith Bulgarian split squats:
    15 x 6
    25 x 6
    35 x 6
    45 x 6
    55 x 6

Leg extension:
    1 warm
    4 x 70 x 12

DB SLDLs:
    2 x 50s x 8

Finished with 20 min on the ellitical.

How many of you peeps have tried vertical leg presses in the Smith machine?
    I've done these in the past - not regularly but I actually like it for a change of scenery - assuming the particular machine available can be racked / racked safely using your feet.

"The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Woo wee! I got this done just as a big crowd of college students started to wander in and take over!

Changes from last week:
    dropped the weight a bit on over/backs and added more reps/sets
    ramped up incline bb more gradually, went heavier, then went all-out on final backoff set
    omitted incline DB flyes - I suspect this has been the culprit of my elbow/wrist and biceps tendon pain
    ramped up flat DB presses more gradually plus more sets with only enough rest between sets to rack DBs and pick up the next pair
    added more volume to cable crossovers
    added a bit more volume and intensity to shoulder work

Nick Tumminello's upper body warmup

Over and back presses:
    2 warms
    40 x 12
    40 x 13
    40 x 14
    40 x 15

Incline bb:
    bar x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 8
    75 x 8
    85 x 8
    95 x 8
    105 x 8
    95 x 12

Flat DB press:
    explosive out of the bottom, no lockout at top
    30s x 6
    35s x 6
    40s x 6
    45s x 6
    50s x 6
    55s x 6
    60s x 6

Cable crossover:
    2 x 15 x 15
    2 x 10 x 20

(who needs implants after all of the above, LOL!)

Front DB raise:
    4 x 10s x 15, about 30 sec between sets

Leaning DB lateral raise ss incline side-lying DB lateral raise:
    20 x 12 ss 5 x 10
    20 x 12 ss 5 x 11
    20 x 12 ss 5 x 12
    no rest between sides/sets

DB reverse flyes leaning on incline bench:
    15 s x 8 (overhand) ss 15s x 8 (neutral) -- 3 sets

Six ways:
    2 x 8s x 8
    1 x 8s x 8 plus 30 partials

Finished with 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Pecs and delts still rocking a pump 6 hours later. LOVE IT!
    I'm still stuck in last week ... INSANE volume! Nice work on the 60s presses! Playin' w/ the big boy weights!

I'm new .. what's a "Six Way"?

Please be careful w/ the joint pain - what you're describing is a daily thing for me right now - all due to just tightness from wrist up to shoulder (ok for me probably aggravated by shoulder too...) I've got raging pain at the insertion points and weak wrist - all of my workouts currently avoid using any bicep because of it - I was pulling the fixed weight ezbars out of the rack and actually ended up going heavier than I was planning because I couldn't lift the lighter BBs out of the rack, that were on rungs higher than my lower chest because my right arm, elbow specifically, couldn't handle the weight.

LOTS & LOTS of stretching if you are noticing tightness up and down your arm to your wrist and into your fingers. The annoying thing is you don't realize that stuff can get tight like that but it starts aggravating that joint and everything above & below it gets aggravated too. Booooo!

LOVE your workouts!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    I'm still stuck in last week ... INSANE volume! Nice work on the 60s presses! Playin' w/ the big boy weights!

Please be careful w/ the joint pain - what you're describing is a daily thing for me right now - all due to just tightness from wrist up to shoulder (ok for me probably aggravated by shoulder too...) I've got raging pain at the insertion points and weak wrist - all of my workouts currently avoid using any bicep because of it - I was pulling the fixed weight ezbars out of the rack and actually ended up going heavier than I was planning because I couldn't lift the lighter BBs out of the rack, that were on rungs higher than my lower chest because my right arm, elbow specifically, couldn't handle the weight.

LOTS & LOTS of stretching if you are noticing tightness up and down your arm to your wrist and into your fingers. The annoying thing is you don't realize that stuff can get tight like that but it starts aggravating that joint and everything above & below it gets aggravated too. Booooo!

LOVE your workouts!
    You will be a member of the 6 way mafia soon. There are videos for john meadows shoulder six way on youtube.
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

I've done these in the past - not regularly but I actually like it for a change of scenery - assuming the particular machine available can be racked / racked safely using your feet.

I'm looking for exactly that - a change of scenery. I have to cut out squats, sometimes I can do Hacks but not always, and we have just one leg press. The Smith machine is usually free on my leg days so I was thinking this could be a good alternative.

LOVE your workouts!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Yes, I'm following everything that my sports chiro is prescribing with stretching, foam rolling, and mobility work to the letter. I've cut back a lot on the weights, believe it or not. And the chiro has narrowed it down to the long head of the biceps tendon. It seems my upper body joint issues are caused more by house/yard work and not so much from what I'm doing in the gym, plus the stress that I hold in my upper traps. The issues seem to flare up more just before we have out of town visitors or a holiday when I'm spending more time tidying up the place or have a new yard project in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Granite-Dawg View Post
    You will be a member of the 6 way mafia soon. There are videos for john meadows shoulder six way on youtube.
    Sassy - what GD said and then some. All the cool bbers do six ways and you are cool so you need to jump on the bandwagon and do this move. This isn't just a shoulder finishing exercise, it is THE shoulder finisher that will rock your world, guaranteed! Big pluses: very VERY humbling yet ridiculously addicting, cannot go heavy (go lighter than you think), a little goes a long way, hits every part of your shoulders fries them extra crispy, shoulders pumped hours after your workout. Try it once - as a finisher - and you will be hooked like the rest of us.

Here's the link to JM doing them (notice he's using 10s!)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-cCXkSi7IQ
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 05-19-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Default Tuesday...chest and shoulders

Just got done with homework and the afternoon drama is about to begin. My family needs me (needy little things they are) but I want to post this before things get really hairy close to dinner time. Calgon, take me away!

Gym was unbelievably crowded with college students today. Had to improvise left and right. No 60s going up today for flat DB presses, couldn't get near the rack grrrr! Opted for some nutso volume with next to no rest periods instead. Enjoy!

Nick Tumminello's upper body warmup plus some chiro prescribed stretches

Over and back presses:
    20 x 12
    30 x 12
    40 x 12
    40 x 13
    40 x 14
    40 x 15

Incline bb:
    bar x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 8
    75 x 8
    85 x 8
    95 x 8
    105 x 8
    95 x 12 without stopping

this was irritating - so many people exercising in front of the DB racks PLUS all the benches near the DB racks being used so I had to improvise because there was NO WAY that I was dragging/rolling DBs back and forth across the weight room and then trying to launch them. Decided to do a little German volume-style: took 35s (my warmup weight is usually 30s but all those were in use) and gave myself just 30 sec between sets with a weight I know I'm good for 15 reps in perfect form, 20 reps would be utter failure. Here's what went down, -er, rather up. LOL
    Flat DB press:
    10 x 35s x 10 just 30 sec between sets - thought I was gonna puke around sets 6/7 but then got my second wind by set 8. Pump was nutso.

Cable crossovers:
    3 x 10 x 20

Front DB raise:
    all the 10s and 15s in use Grrrr
    4 x 12s x 15, only about 30 sec between sets

Leaning DB lateral raise:
    6 x 20 x 12 each side without stopping

Reverse DB flyes leaning on incline bench:
    15s x 8 (overhand) ss 15s x 8 (neutral), 4 rounds

Six ways:
    3 x 8s x 8

Last edited by Sunnyday; 05-19-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Sassy - what GD said and then some. All the cool bbers do six ways and you are cool so you need to jump on the bandwagon and do this move. This isn't just a shoulder finishing exercise, it is THE shoulder finisher that will rock your world, guaranteed! Big pluses: very VERY humbling yet ridiculously addicting, cannot go heavy (go lighter than you think), a little goes a long way, hits every part of your shoulders fries them extra crispy, shoulders pumped hours after your workout. Try it once - as a finisher - and you will be hooked like the rest of us.

Here's the link to JM doing them (notice he's using 10s!)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-cCXkSi7IQ

Ahhhhh! Makes sense! I'll bounce that off my trainer - I'm staying away from front raises right now - basically anything that pulls forward in favor of strengthening my back - I have the desk jockey's tendency to hunch forward. But definitely looks like an excellent item to include!

A note about the smith vertical leg presses - make sure you can roll the bar w/ your feet! You MUST be able to rack & unrack! I also found I actually feel it a lot more in my butt & hamstrings than otherwise expected. I like these because it's a great stretch in that little transition area of your lower back that doesn't usually get stretched but in a well-supported position. I've done up to 6 plates per side (and been able to still control the unrack/rack).
    ~Jack Lalanne

Just got done with homework and the afternoon drama is about to begin. My family needs me (needy little things they are) but I want to post this before things get really hairy close to dinner time. Calgon, take me away!

Gym was unbelievably crowded with college students today. Had to improvise left and right. No 60s going up today for flat DB presses, couldn't get near the rack grrrr! Opted for some nutso volume with next to no rest periods instead. Enjoy!

Nick Tumminello's upper body warmup plus some chiro prescribed stretches

Over and back presses:
    20 x 12
    30 x 12
    40 x 12
    40 x 13
    40 x 14
    40 x 15

Incline bb:
    bar x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 8
    75 x 8
    85 x 8
    95 x 8
    105 x 8
    95 x 12 without stopping

this was irritating - so many people exercising in front of the DB racks PLUS all the benches near the DB racks being used so I had to improvise because there was NO WAY that I was dragging/rolling DBs back and forth across the weight room and then trying to launch them. Decided to do a little German volume-style: took 35s (my warmup weight is usually 30s but all those were in use) and gave myself just 30 sec between sets with a weight I know I'm good for 15 reps in perfect form, 20 reps would be utter failure. Here's what went down, -er, rather up. LOL
    Flat DB press:
    10 x 35s x 10 just 30 sec between sets - thought I was gonna puke around sets 6/7 but then got my second wind by set 8. Pump was nutso.

Cable crossovers:
    3 x 10 x 20

Front DB raise:
    all the 10s and 15s in use Grrrr
    4 x 12s x 15, only about 30 sec between sets

Leaning DB lateral raise:
    6 x 20 x 12 each side without stopping

Reverse DB flyes leaning on incline bench:
    15s x 8 (overhand) ss 15s x 8 (neutral), 4 rounds

Six ways:
    3 x 8s x 8

Blocking the DB rack is one of my pet peeves and leaving equipment on the floor is my other one. I have never understood why standing in front of the rack is better than 6 ft back.

Quote Originally Posted by David4ts View Post
    Blocking the DB rack is one of my pet peeves and leaving equipment on the floor is my other one. I have never understood why standing in front of the rack is better than 6 ft back.
    I like to think it's just a vision problem vs. plain stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by David4ts View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I like to think it's just a vision problem vs. plain stupidity.
    And this.

I have often though that gyms should make people who have little experience (the young ones) in a gym should have to take a 30 minute gym etiquette class. I know I am a grumpy old man but a class might help.

Page 314 of 516 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364414 ... LastLast