Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast
    TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Default New England Sports Page!

I will keep this thread updated throughout Spring Training and the entire season.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Goodfellas; 03-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Tim Wakefield ready to start fresh.

BOSTON -- Tim Wakefield has spent 16 seasons in a Red Sox uniform -- making him, by far, the longest tenured player on the club -- and it's safe to say that last year was his most frustrating since coming to Boston.

Wakefield won just four games, his lowest victory total of his 18-year career, and posted a 5.34 ERA, his highest since 2000. Splitting time between serving as long man in the bullpen and occasional spot starter, Wakefield was unhappy -- sometimes obviously so -- with his role.

But a few weeks from the start of another season and his spot on the staff no more defined, Wakefield Thursday vowed to take a different approach in 2011.

"It was what it was,'' said Wakefield of last season, "and I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2011. I'm keeping more of an open mind as to what my role might be and kind of accepted it. We'll go forward and see what happens.

"I want to try to contribute to us winning another World Series championship before I retire . . . [Things are] more known than it was last year. I don't want to dwell on last year and I want to look past that and accept whatever role is given to me.''

Acceptance took some time for Wakefield, but with the benefit of the last four months, Wakefield has come to deal with the adjustment.

"It's tough to accept change,'' he said before the start of the 72nd annual Boston Baseball Writers Awards dinner, "especially coming off the season I had in 2009 when I made the All-Star team and pretty much sacrificed the whole second half with a back injury. It's hard. Every athlete will tell you they want to be in that starting position and help the club win.

"You just try to get through the season as emotionally unscathed as possible and sometimes that's hard to accomplish. You have to go through the mental ups-and-downs of a six-month season. We were able to get through that last year and I look forward to 2011. Having more of an open mind for what's in store and what can happen, I'll have a little better perspective on things.''

As spring training draws closer, the Red Sox' rotation seems set with Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Josh Beckett, John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka all returning.

Wakefield hasn't discussed his role on the 2011 staff yet with Terry Francona, but expects it to be mostly unchanged. He'll pitch in relief when the Sox need some length out of their bullpen, and be available to fill in should the rotation encounter injuries or performance issues.

"Anything can happen,'' said Wakefield. "It's one of those things, when you're in a competitive market like we are here in Boston and competing in the American League East, you want to make sure you have (pitching) in reserve.''

After the addition of Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler, Wakefield labeled the 2011 Sox ''one of the best teams I've seen on paper. I've seen some good ones in my tenure here, but this is going to be exciting.''

While adding a third World Series ring is his ultimate goal, there are personal milestones for which to aim. Wakefield is just seven wins away from career victory No. 200 and though last year hurt his chances to become the franchise's all-time winningest pitcher -- Wakefield has 179; Cy Young and Roger Clemens are tied for the record currently at 192 -- he hasn't totally given up hope of topping that.

"Still might be -- you never know,'' said Wakefield with a broad smile. "I'm still wearing a uniform . . . It's a big motivator for me, especially in the offseason trying to get ready and knowing what lies ahead. There's a lot of factors that motivate me to continue to play and wear a Red Sox uniform.''
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Heading down for spring training...can't wait!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
    Heading down for spring training...can't wait!!!!
    Lucky SOB! Went two years ago.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Hey Sandpig is Youkllis(sp) going to play third base ?

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Hey Sandpig is Youkllis(sp) going to play third base ?
    Yes.

Youk: ‘I’m ready to play third base’

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Earlier today, Herald football writer Ian Rapoport caught up with Kevin Youkilis at an event in Braintree and got his thoughts on playing third base …

“Theo contacted me yesterday, Tito contacted me, and they both told me to get ready to play third base. So, this year, I’ll be a third baseman, but you never know what’s going to happen. Injuries happen, but I’ll always have my first-base mitt. I definitely threw out my outfield mitt, so anyone wanting to know if I’m going to play outfield, that’s not going to happen unless all five of our outfielders go down. I’ll be in the infield.

“I did come up as a third baseman. So, I played third base before I played first base. This is definitely a cool thing for me. I’m ready to play third base, I’ve wanted to play third base for a while. I know there’s probably rumors out there that I said I wanted to play third base, that is not the case. They tell me where to play. So, it’s going to be fun, it’s going to be a challenge, and it’s going to be a busy offseason just preparing to play a different position. Now, I gotta have a throwing program, which I’m not too excited about, but I’ll get through it.”

… and on the addition of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez …

“Adrian Gonzalez is definitely going to be a great asset to our team. He’s not only a great hitter, he’s a great first baseman. When I make some crazy throws over there at third, this year, he’ll be able to pick it for me and he’s going to be good, he’s going to be really good for Fenway and will use that wall to his advantage. It’s going to be exciting to see how out on the field in spring training.”
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Thanks Sandpig,I think Youk will be fine at third.You know Gonzalez was originally a Ranger and we let him go because we had Texiera.That wasn`t too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Thanks Sandpig,I think Youk will be fine at third.You know Gonzalez was originally a Ranger and we let him go because we had Texiera.That wasn`t too bright.
    And we let Bagwell go
    And Schilling
    And Hanley Ramirez

I could go on all day.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

its a toss up who has a worse pitching staff the sox or yankees.

Terry Francona ready to go

Excited about new additions

The baton is about to be passed, and Red Sox manager Terry Francona could not be more ready to grab it from general manager Theo Epstein — and start running.

After a winter in which Epstein made significant moves that have the Sox considered a favorite to win the American League pennant, Francona’s task the rest of 2011 is to take all that talent to the promised land.

Easier said than done, but Francona likes the view from his starting line.

“Our ownership and our front office really clutched up (this offseason),” said Francona prior to last night’s Boston Baseball Writers’ Dinner. “I’ve heard Theo say it and I believe it — you can’t win in the winter. But they did a pretty damn good job. It’s exciting. For the guys in uniform, now it’s our job to go and take it and go from there.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen. Whatever happens, we want to try to be good enough to give ourselves a chance to have a special team. It’s exciting. I’d much rather have it be like this than have it be like, if you guys play your (butt) off, you can be at .500. I’d much rather have it this way.”

The addition of Adrian Gonalez at first base, Carl Crawford in left field and Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler in the bullpen are the big changes, but they alone would not be nearly enough to tilt the balance in the favor of the Red Sox without a change in fortune on the team’s bad-news health front from last year.

Injuries to Jacoby Ellsbury [stats], Dustin Pedroia [stats], Kevin Youkilis [stats], Jed Lowrie, Jason Varitek [stats] and Daisuke Matsuzaka [stats] (and catcher Victor Martinez, who will not be back) derailed the team just as much as the subpar performances of starters Josh Beckett [stats] and John Lackey did.

With a winter to fully heal, the odds of Francona donning his “I’m not a doctor but” persona every day are dropping. Everybody’s healthy now, and that’s what helps Francona see, easily, the glass as half-full.

“You get down to spring training, nobody’s hurt, nobody’s gotten nicked up, nobody’s ERA’s high, nobody’s being ineffective,” said Francona. “When you’re throwing the first week of spring training, if they get knocked around, they’re getting ready, they’re building arm strength. Everybody feels that way, but I do think we have reason for optimism.”

There will be a few unsettled storylines once the team assembles in Fort Myers by the middle of next month. Besides the fight for the left-handed reliever’s job, the timetable on a return to action for Gonzalez, rehabbing from shoulder surgery, is still not set.

The arrival of Jenks, a closer with the White Sox, could have meant that closer Jonathan Papelbon [stats] would misread the acquisition. He has not, said Francona.

“Pap knows that there’s nothing; I really didn’t have anything to say to him,’’ said Francona. “He’s our closer, he knows how I feel. If I felt differently, I would have told him.”

As for shortstop, Francona flatly said that Marco Scutaro would be the starter, while adding Jed Lowrie is an everyday shortstop-type of player, but that “may not happen in April.”

If the most exciting development that happens this season is that Scutaro and Lowrie engage in a midseason battle for the startering job, Francona and the rest of the Red Sox will gladly accept that. That would mean the offseason restructuring job went off as planned.

Right now, that plan is one Francona wants to keep active and alive all the way into October. What makes the dead of winter more bearable is the promise that this spring, summer and fall will feel bright and sunny.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Christie Brinkley?
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

shes still hot.

Report: Red Sox discussed dealing Papelbon

SI.com reports that the Red Sox considered dealing closer Jonathan Papelbon.

According to the story, Boston discussed moving the four-time All Star with both the A's and White Sox in favor of signing Rafael Soriano to a one-year deal. The pitcher had 45 saves and a 1.73 ERA in 2010 for Tampa Bay.

But on Jan. 13, the Yankees landed Soriano for three years and $35 million.

Papelbon and the Sox avoided arbitration this week by agreeing to a one-year, $12 million deal.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Fenway Park
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    Report: Red Sox discussed dealing Papelbon

SI.com reports that the Red Sox considered dealing closer Jonathan Papelbon.

According to the story, Boston discussed moving the four-time All Star with both the A's and White Sox in favor of signing Rafael Soriano to a one-year deal. The pitcher had 45 saves and a 1.73 ERA in 2010 for Tampa Bay.

But on Jan. 13, the Yankees landed Soriano for three years and $35 million.

Papelbon and the Sox avoided arbitration this week by agreeing to a one-year, $12 million deal.
    Crazy hes young and has alot of years left.

Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast