Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

oh man I wish I had somewhere to do something like that! believe it or not that sounds like fun to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ~gymdiva~ View Post
    oh man I wish I had somewhere to do something like that! believe it or not that sounds like fun to me!
    Fun...I don't know about that girl. It makes me breath so hard & sweat like a fat kid on the first week at camp. But...it works!

yeah I know I'm strange

Seriously! Bonnie thanks so much for sharing all this fun stuff with us! I was so stoked when I read your first post about the killer leg workout, and then got to read about it. That leg press session sounds like pure evil! AWESOME! And we all know when you want to barf, that means it was a good leg day! I'm also jealous as hell of your cardio set up! I still consider one of my best sessions like that was pushing & pulling a Chevy Suburban up & down the dirt road behind the gym. What I do have, however, is a brutal bike trail into the foothills along the Bay Area coast, and a bike... I tried it once last summer and it gave me a whole new definition of "quad burn".

Definitely looking forward to more of your prep!

Best of luck!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Seriously! Bonnie thanks so much for sharing all this fun stuff with us! I was so stoked when I read your first post about the killer leg workout, and then got to read about it. That leg press session sounds like pure evil! AWESOME! And we all know when you want to barf, that means it was a good leg day! I'm also jealous as hell of your cardio set up! I still consider one of my best sessions like that was pushing & pulling a Chevy Suburban up & down the dirt road behind the gym. What I do have, however, is a brutal bike trail into the foothills along the Bay Area coast, and a bike... I tried it once last summer and it gave me a whole new definition of "quad burn".

Definitely looking forward to more of your prep!

Best of luck!
    Hey sassy...I've got an idea for you. You know those sleds the football players use on the field to build strength & speed? You could use something like that. I've seen them online in plenty of places & I don't think they're that expensive. Of course if you know someone that can weld metal...they should be able to build one for you as well. They usually have a peg in the middle so you can add weight to them. CHECK IT OUT!!! That might be just what you need.

Any shows coming up for you?

I've got a good arm workout for everyone! I did this one last week on Thursday.

First tri-set for 4 sets:
    Pushdowns (to failure, no assist) go heavier on each set (reps can range from 25-8)
    Machine Curls (we use a Strive machine) go heavy, all out, to failure, no assist, with a rep range of 8-12)
    Tricep Press machine (also Strive machine) go heavy, all out to failure, no assist until the last three after failure (then for 3 reps, partner pushes it down for you & you fight is back up slow)

Next tri-set for 4 sets:
    Seated dumbbell curls (ok...I don't know what these are called, but you curl both of the dumbells up into position & keep them there. Do them alternating by lowering one side & bringing it back into the peak contraction position before you lower the other one) sit straight up, try not to lean back. Curl a moderately heavy weight so that you can only get 8-10 reps.
    Headbangers/skullcrushers to failure using a heavy ass weight :-)
    Standing barbell curls using an e-z curl bar...ok here's a bad one...use a weight that pretty damn heavy for you. Make sure you use FULL range of motion. All the way up & almost completely straight arms at the bottom. You want to COMPLETELY fail around 6-10 reps...then...your partner helps you get 3 more. They push it up for you & you fight like hell to lower it VERY slowly. This one made me want to cry! FOR REAL!!!

Last part is a superset for 3 sets:
    Reverse pushdowns with a pause/BIG squeeze at the bottom for 10-15 reps
    Hammer curls with dumbbells for 8-10 reps

When I workout, I try to never hold back too much on a set. Sometimes I'll hold back a little bit on the first set, but after that...I give it all I have. If I fail sooner on the remaining sets...I'm ok with that. It's about working to your limit every single day.
    Each of us may feel that we have our limits, but pushing past those limits is what empowers us. It keeps up working hard & striving for more. Use your goals to push you and don't let ANYTHING stand in your way!!!

I hope this stuff helps some of you! I would love to hear some questions or thoughts you have. If you ever try the workout yourself...I'd LOVE to hear some feedback.

Just wanna let you guys know too that there are several exercises that I just don't normally do. I don't do them either because of a weird and completely jacked up back injury that still haunts me today, I absolutely detest it (there aren't many of those), or I never seem to feel in the right spot.

Here's a few:
    Front Squat-probably one of the best exercises know for a bodybuilders quad development - I HATE HATE HATE these. They make me want to kill myself! ;-)
    Deadlift-awesome for overall back thickness. I used to do them very heavy & even competed in powerlifting. Unfortunately that stupid back! I usually do them but will go very light. Normally under 185lbs. I used to go over 400 ever week. STUPID STUPID BACK!!!
    Bench Press-not too great for good "complete" pec development. Again...I used to powerlift & bench pressed every single week for years. I decided to stop powerlifting & started using dumbbells for pressing movements. I noticed more pec development in 8-10 months than I had in 2-3 years benchpressing. Therefore...no more bench pressing.
    Close Grip Bench Press-great for triceps, but not for me. That's one of the exercises that I never feel in the right spot. No matter where I position elbows, hands or the bar, I always feel it in my shoulders. Oh well. Good thing there's plenty of other ways I can work them.

Can't think of many others right now, but just remember that I'd do them if I could...OH WAIT...except for those damn front squats. ;-)

I love reading your workouts. Can you post some weights in there sometimes too?
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Priest View Post
    Hey sassy...I've got an idea for you. You know those sleds the football players use on the field to build strength & speed? You could use something like that. I've seen them online in plenty of places & I don't think they're that expensive. Of course if you know someone that can weld metal...they should be able to build one for you as well. They usually have a peg in the middle so you can add weight to them. CHECK IT OUT!!! That might be just what you need.

Any shows coming up for you?

I don't have any room to keep something like that (I rent...), I am, however looking for a boyfriend w/a big truck....

I'm going after my first national show at the USAs this year after taking a year off for surgeries & stuff. Very excited to play w/ the "big girls"!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

I've got a good arm workout for everyone! I did this one last week on Thursday.

First tri-set for 4 sets:
    Pushdowns (to failure, no assist) go heavier on each set (reps can range from 25-8)
    Machine Curls (we use a Strive machine) go heavy, all out, to failure, no assist, with a rep range of 8-12)
    Tricep Press machine (also Strive machine) go heavy, all out to failure, no assist until the last three after failure (then for 3 reps, partner pushes it down for you & you fight is back up slow)

Next tri-set for 4 sets:
    Seated dumbbell curls (ok...I don't know what these are called, but you curl both of the dumbells up into position & keep them there. Do them alternating by lowering one side & bringing it back into the peak contraction position before you lower the other one) sit straight up, try not to lean back. Curl a moderately heavy weight so that you can only get 8-10 reps.
    Headbangers/skullcrushers to failure using a heavy ass weight :-)
    Standing barbell curls using an e-z curl bar...ok here's a bad one...use a weight that pretty damn heavy for you. Make sure you use FULL range of motion. All the way up & almost completely straight arms at the bottom. You want to COMPLETELY fail around 6-10 reps...then...your partner helps you get 3 more. They push it up for you & you fight like hell to lower it VERY slowly. This one made me want to cry! FOR REAL!!!

Last part is a superset for 3 sets:
    Reverse pushdowns with a pause/BIG squeeze at the bottom for 10-15 reps
    Hammer curls with dumbbells for 8-10 reps

When I workout, I try to never hold back too much on a set. Sometimes I'll hold back a little bit on the first set, but after that...I give it all I have. If I fail sooner on the remaining sets...I'm ok with that. It's about working to your limit every single day.
    Each of us may feel that we have our limits, but pushing past those limits is what empowers us. It keeps up working hard & striving for more. Use your goals to push you and don't let ANYTHING stand in your way!!!

I hope this stuff helps some of you! I would love to hear some questions or thoughts you have. If you ever try the workout yourself...I'd LOVE to hear some feedback.
    That is evil.

I'm trying it later this week. I need to switch up my back/bi & chest/tri split (not a bad thing cuz my shoulder is bugging me right now..) but its ON! I normally train on my own so I'll need to coordinate on a day when I've got some lifting buddies in the room.

Do you have any tendonitis issues in your arms? If yes, how do you deal w/ it? I used to love pounding my biceps, but these days I just can't. I haven't used an arm sleeve in years & years, but I think I need to get one because currently I'm able to 2-arm bi stuff like ezbar curls, but single arm stuff is capped at like 25 lb DBs.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    I love reading your workouts. Can you post some weights in there sometimes too?

Will doooo! I'll post my chest workout this evening!

Are any of you feeling nervous about shows? Are you have trouble getting over stage fright? Talk to me about it. Maybe I can help!

Do you choreography routines? I love your routines. They're always a great display of muscle but plenty of girlie in them.
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    Do you choreography routines? I love your routines. They're always a great display of muscle but plenty of girlie in them.
    Yes ma'am! I sure do. We've got several bodybuilders in our gym (7 including myself) two of which are national level bodybuilders (Karen Choat-LHW & Melinda Williamson-LW), three others are qualified for nationals & will be doing their shows this year. I also have helped my good friend, IFBB Pro Jennifer Sedia several times when she still lived in Texas & several others here & there along the way. To me...it's the most fun part of the whole process. It's the only time you can put a little more personality into what we do. I usually make them come up with a few ideas on there own so it'll have a little of their own personality in it. Otherwise, they just pose like me. For the guys...they like to be a little more serious & hardcore , but for the girls...we can have a little more fun !

For my next show (the Atlantic City Pro), I'm going to try to come up with something REALLY cool & fun. I've got several of our employees working on music ideas, so there should be some cool tunes to go with the routine. You'll have to come to the show to see! I hope I can blow their socks off!

Will doooo! I'll post my chest workout this evening!
    Ok...here's today's chest workout w/weights included.

Flat dumbbell press (all the way up & tap chest at the bottom, no assist) - 4 sets : 85lbs.--10reps, 95lbs.--10reps, 105lbs.--8reps, 105lbs.--9reps

Incline Press in Smith Machine (again...all the way up & all the way to the chest) - 4 sets: 70lbs. on ea. side--10reps, 80lbs. on ea. side--10 reps, 90lbs. on ea. side--9 reps, 70lbs. on ea. side--12 reps

Rope/Strap flyes - 3 sets of 7-10 reps (let me explain these--we have a car tow strap that we've hooked to a single handle on each end. The handles would usually be used on a cable cross over. We wrap the tow strap around a chin bar or the dip rack so that the handle are about maybe 10-12" off the ground. With your body parallel to the floor & your feet on the floor, hold onto the handles, get into a plank position, slowly lower yourself into a flye position. Then bring it all the way back together & squeeze in the middle.) These are honestly one of the hardest things I do for chest. They make me a little woozy.

Normally I would end with cable cross-overs superset with either decline pushups or pushups on an upside down Bosu. After the strap flyes...I was DONE! Wooooooh!

The workout is nothing crazy...just basic & heavy! Somebody's gotta try those strap flyes. Tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Bonny Priest; 03-30-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast