Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Forum Leader: Rx Strength Headquarters robert da strongman's Avatar

Default Q&A with ASC Pro Strongman Derek Poundstone

alright here is your chance to pick the brain of one of the best strongmen out there.

thanks to Derek for doing this and being on our board!

Derek what is your next comp?

Geez, that was quick Rob! My next comp will be the Mohegan Sun Worlds Strongest Man Qualifier on May 17th in Uncasville, CT. This is where I defeated Mariusz last year.

Derek, I remember reading that you said your OHP was a weak event for you. What helped you bring it up?

super forum leader powers...haha.

do you know what events will be there?

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

Hey, Derek! Welcome to Rx.

Hows the bronchitis? Good luck at the Mohegan bro.

Hey Derek what does a guy your size training for pure strength and mass eat in the run of a day?

Derek,
    What is your diet like on the actual day of competition?

Derek,
    How do you mentally prepare for competitions and just workouts in general?

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Derek, you gonna be competing in Vegas at anytime?
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Forum Leader/Fat Fuck: Rx Strength Headquarters tjoe's Avatar

Rob - great idea bro.
    Derek - thanks for jumping in the mix. I know your time is limited so we appreciate you tacking one more thing on your "to do " list!
    Just doin' my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Derek, I remember reading that you said your OHP was a weak event for you. What helped you bring it up?
    Good question Thad, here's an Answer I posted on an interview from another forum back in July of 2007, I will add upon this reply;
    Again, I took a more scientific approach to overhead pressing for reps. Realizing that there are more factors in clean and pressing each rep then just the overhead press. With a 280-LB log, seldom do my shoulders fail before I just get winded. I found a more efficient way to press the log from the lap without a jerk. I found the jerk wasted way too much energy by utilizing the legs. Jerking, however, does make the press easier. So I began adjusting my log pressing technique by pressing from the lap and making the overhead portion of the press strict. By doing this, my shoulders would fail just as I reached the limit of my conditioning. For a heavy log, I still press in three motions, floor to lap, lap to shoulders then shoulders to lockout overhead.

This was how I was able to become a more efficient presser, now I would say my raw shoulder power is amongst the top in the sport so I’ll go into detail on how I brought up the raw strength. I think again my increase in power in the shoulders has to do with my approach to training. I just simple thought, "where do I and everyone else fail when pressing a heavy weight overhead". This is a simple question in my opinion. I always found that I and most other guys and gals that workout are weak of fail just as you’re clearing the forehead with the bar, axle, log etc.... This goes for seated and standing overhead pressing. With sanding presses it’s a bit higher, like a few inches above your head. This so happens the be where the triceps kick in and your delts are at their weakest angle. Go ahead and mimic the movement while sitting at your computer desk. See how your shoulders are in a position where they are at a mechanical disadvantage. Also you tris start to engage big time at this point of the press. Once you clear this awkward position, you can push your head through and the delts can engage more. So what I did was to work on increasing my triceps power. I didn’t just do things like close grip benches but relied on movements like floor and/or presses, JM presses, skull crushers from all angles etc..... In addition, I'm not scared to bench heavy. This was the reason for my torn pec last year before the Arnold classic. In addition to the triceps and heavy bench work, I simply pressed more then most do, this is the reason why you seldom see my OHP get weaker throughout a contest. Mondays are my shoulder day. I start out with come sort of clean and press. Any implement I want from axle to a block. After 2 sets, either heavy for singles or doubles or light for a million reps, I follow up with a supplementary press. I'll do things like seated presses with no back support with a log or axle, regular military presses, standing strict presses etc.... I follow this up with shrugs and either a side lateral or a crucifix hold.

Quote Originally Posted by robert da strongman View Post
    super forum leader powers...haha.

do you know what events will be there?
    Rob, I saw a fellow competitor post this list of events. This is all the info I have found;
    Log Clean and Press for reps
    Max Axle Clean and Press
    Frame Carry
    Stones
    Car Deadlift
    Shield Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_Muscle View Post
    Hey Derek what does a guy your size training for pure strength and mass eat in the run of a day?
    Generally I eat 7 - 8 meals per day and try to get approximately 500 grams of protein, 400 - 500 grams of carbs, and approximately 100 grams of fat just as a starting point and depending on what competition I’m training and what my goals are, example am I trying to stay lean and keep my speed and recovery up or do I just want to focus on putting a ton of weight on and get as powerful as possible. From this base I got from there. Generally while at work I eat three meals, I’m sure to get my protein intake by making chicken puree shakes. The chicken puree starts out as frozen chicken breasts. I boil 2 lbs of the chicken breast in water before work (usually the night before) for about 30 minutes. I then cool the chicken and place the four or five breasts (2lbs) into a high-powered blender filled to the 35 - 40 oz line with water. I blend the chicken on high until it becomes a medium consistency fluid that is drinkable (about a minute). Once done, the 2 lbs of chicken and water make about 40 oz of drinkable puree. I drink 20 oz for two meals at work.

So here’s what a sample day was for the last few months while prepping for the Arnold (note the very high caloric intake) - Wake up 5:45 AM, at 6:00 AM I have protein shake with three scoops of Probolic Protein with 2 cups milk; at 8:30 AM I would do a breakfast sandwich from a local dinner consisting of sausage, 2 eggs and cheese with a small side of breakfast potatoes; at about 11:00 AM I would have half my chicken shake with a PB&J sandwich; 1:00 PM I’d do the other half of the chicken shake with a banana and/or yogurt; at 3:00 PM I’m home from work (I work from 6:30 AM - 2:30 PM most of the year but in the summer months and all of for the past three years I worked from 10:30 PM - 6:30 AM) and would have another Probolic Protein shake again with 2 cups milk and 3 scoops protein (sometimes 2 scoops if I’m not to hungry); at 3:30 I’d start sipping on my Dark Rage as I leave for the gym. I’ll typically train typically for 2 - 3 hours then take a dark matter while I’m still at the gym before I do cardio or if no cardio, I’ll have it as soon as I’m done training. I usually get home around 6:30 - 7:30 PM, I’ll eat once I get hungry after the Dark Matter (about 30 minutes after arriving home). After the gym Kristin, my girlfriend and right hand, will make me a steak (usually 14 - 18 oz NY strip or Ribeye) with a potato or some all Natural Mac n Cheese or just over a lb of chicken. Depending on how late I eat, I’ll sometime get 2 more meals in but usually just have a shake at 9:45 before I go to bed. If dinner was at 6:30 or I was off from the gym and ate around 5 or so, I’ll have a piece of chicken around 8 or so, maybe by itself or when really trying to pack on the sized I’ll have ice-cream with it. In the middle of the night I will get up and have either a bow of cereal of protein shake 3 or 4 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by davidyes View Post
    Derek,
    What is your diet like on the actual day of competition?
    I will typically eat more pasta and carbs due usually do the general lack of appetite from not training for a few days and trying to keep my calories up. My work and training schedule is such that when I go away for a comp, I typically will gain wait the few days before. For instance while training for the Arnold I was at a high or 323 two weeks about but on the Wednesday before, I was down to 318. The day of the contest I was 325 and on the Sunday after I was 316! For WSM I stayed right at 312 for the two weeks. Here’s an interesting point, I took a cruise to the eastern Caribbean last April and started off weighing my normal 312is when we set sail and by the fourth day I was up to 328!! Its very obvious by my low bf% and what took place at the Arnold and while on the cruise that I could stand to eat a bit more calories. That being said I scheduled a cruise a month before the Mohegan Sun contest to try and get up to 330+. I want to see how I feel competing at this weight as I start planning on how I want to come into Fortissums. I think I’m the only guy really that changes their diet, training and general shape so much depending on the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by New2thegame View Post
    Derek,
    How do you mentally prepare for competitions and just workouts in general?
    As I prepare for a contest I tend to sacrifice things like my social life, drinking beer etc.... I think about all that I’ve sacrificed including herniating a disk in my back training for strongman and all the pain I put myself through. I know that all it comes down to that one moment. Contest at this level are one by meer inches, thousandths of a second and a few lbs. This is what I think about!! Plus I’ve been think about the stone dropping in WSM last year, that gets me fired up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    Derek, you gonna be competing in Vegas at anytime?
    I've heard the Olympia will have a Strongman Contest this year so that would be yes!

Derek i did see those events on Marunde Muscle

how do you feel about 2 pressing events in one comp?

GYM RAT

how do you normally train your squat and deadlift.
    what type of routine really helped you increase them, do you follow a powerlifting cycle for those two lifts.
    thanks

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast