Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Your Feedback on Bikini and Men Physique??

I have been hearing all these rumors and I mean rumors!! That bodybuilding IFBB is dying and I am sure you have too. I have judged sevral NPC shows this year and the Bikini and the New Category "Mens Physique" has been drawing a bigger crowd. The women coming to watch Physique and men loving the bikini.

I am only speaking about majority of peeps not everyone. I am a huge bodybuilding fan and supporter, but give me some feedback on what you think is happening with our sport?

www.teamcanefitness.com

It's all about money.

Bikini...whatever. It is pointless and adds time to an already long day.

Men's physique...Gives the twinks that think the squat rack is for barbell curls a place they can belong while hiding their "legs".

Mens Physique is an insult to us bodybuilders. Plain and simple. We give 100% effort to be as big as humanly possible. And as mentioned its a long day already. As well there is no room backstage as it is now i cant even imagine how crowded it will be backstage with all these GQ guys as well back there. Dont sit well with me to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by zubbeyboy View Post
    Mens Physique is an insult to us bodybuilders. Plain and simple. We give 100% effort to be as big as humanly possible. And as mentioned its a long day already. As well there is no room backstage as it is now i cant even imagine how crowded it will be backstage with all these GQ guys as well back there. Dont sit well with me to say the least.
    Thats how I feel about it, making a show much more longer which for competitors is not good. Also in local shows or state shows where venues are not that big

it will be hard to even move around back stage

^^ Just like bikini is a slap in the face to FBB/fitness/figure. Doesn't mean it's going anywhere. You'll do better to accept it rather than be salty about it.

I bet more average guy consumers bought VPX redline after seeing that ad featuring the pretty boy with the eyeliner on, than ever will buy hydroxycut after seeing an ad with Jay. Shredded, fit looking models sell all the magazines other than FLEX and MD. A MPD competitor will probably never take the cover of the big bodybuilding rags, so maybe take comfort in that?

On the other hand, I haven't seen any commercials Iris or Yaxeni popping out of a pool holding a protein shake before the RX video segments...that's because they absolutely cannot be used to market products. All the women's health magazines feature bikini and figure girls as their cover models, because no K-mart shopper housewife will ever pick up a magazine with Alina Popa on the cover. That's just how it is.

I know that I had to deal with enough heat from members here as a bikini competitor for a while, and while I've earned a little more respect a majority of people will still think it is useless. Regardless, it brings the ticket and entry money to the shows. The bikini entries are doubling what they were in past years, and it's lowered the barrier into bodybuilding and fitness competition.

Is that a bad thing? Maybe it's hard to swallow but I think the additions are necessary to keep the NPC and IFBB from becoming stagnant. The shows are longer. Boo hoo. Maybe the larger shows will need to start earlier or split into two days. But you'll never find promoters separating the hardcore divisions off into their own shows because the seats would be empty. Sucks, but that's how it's gonna be.

I'm tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the longer shows, and the fact that the MPD guys hide their legs or that they're all fags...it's all a knee-jerk reaction due to the fact that BBers are severely threatened by the arrival of MPD. I can understand that, but being butthurt about it will not change the fact that it will probably become just as popular as bikini has done.
    Last edited by kentuckyslim; 04-03-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: insert quote :D

RX MEMBER

Let us pray that the MPD virus don't spread to the natural shows like the WNBF or INBA

Maybe there are some MPD competitors that give 100% effort to being as big as humanly possible, just choose not to use drugs? Does that diminish their efforts?

Also, maybe a lot of them are just doing physique for fun, but don't train primarily for that? As opposed to specifically training for physique? I dunno..
    Last edited by HammerStrength12; 04-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.

How is it an insult?

You're big and look like a bodybuilder and they don't.

that's how i feel about the 202 division or every class but the super heavy weights

I was not a fan of bikini until i saw what the judges are awarding this year. lean, hard healthy real girls. few drugs. lot of T&A which is the big selling factor.

mens physique will be so popular next year, they will create more than on class. probably based on height. think greg plitt and you are on the right track. the kids doing it are so marketable to the mainstream, which is what the NPC needs to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyslim View Post
    ^^ Just like bikini is a slap in the face to FBB/fitness/figure. Doesn't mean it's going anywhere. You'll do better to accept it rather than be salty about it.

I bet more average guy consumers bought VPX redline after seeing that ad featuring the pretty boy with the eyeliner on, than ever will buy hydroxycut after seeing an ad with Jay. Shredded, fit looking models sell all the magazines other than FLEX and MD. A MPD competitor will probably never take the cover of the big bodybuilding rags, so maybe take comfort in that?

On the other hand, I haven't seen any commercials Iris or Yaxeni popping out of a pool holding a protein shake before the RX video segments...that's because they absolutely cannot be used to market products. All the women's health magazines feature bikini and figure girls as their cover models, because no K-mart shopper housewife will ever pick up a magazine with Alina Popa on the cover. That's just how it is.

I know that I had to deal with enough heat from members here as a bikini competitor for a while, and while I've earned a little more respect a majority of people will still think it is useless. Regardless, it brings the ticket and entry money to the shows. The bikini entries are doubling what they were in past years, and it's lowered the barrier into bodybuilding and fitness competition.

Is that a bad thing? Maybe it's hard to swallow but I think the additions are necessary to keep the NPC and IFBB from becoming stagnant. The shows are longer. Boo hoo. Maybe the larger shows will need to start earlier or split into two days. But you'll never find promoters separating the hardcore divisions off into their own shows because the seats would be empty. Sucks, but that's how it's gonna be.

I'm tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the longer shows, and the fact that the MPD guys hide their legs or that they're all fags...it's all a knee-jerk reaction due to the fact that BBers are severely threatened by the arrival of MPD. I can understand that, but being butthurt about it will not change the fact that it will probably become just as popular as bikini has done.

All very well said. "You must spread some rep around before giving it to kslim again"

There's not much I can add to that.

However, I will say that if a promoter decided to do an exclusively "Bikini / Men's Physique" show, I'd attend. Might even compete, but I can't find a bikini to match my eyebrows.

I would also attend an exclusively BB show. I hate to sit on the fence, but it's my opinion.
    Last edited by DJTree; 04-03-2011 at 07:32 PM.

RX MEMBER

just more money for the promoter

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-H_2005 View Post
    It's all about money.

Bikini...whatever. It is pointless and adds time to an already long day.

Men's physique...Gives the twinks that think the squat rack is for barbell curls a place they can belong while hiding their "legs".

Woah woah woah now, I've got nothing to hide. I ain't skeered. I just know I've got no wheels worth showing off on a bodybuilding stage. And I know I give everything I've got under the squat rack. But a 38" inseam is a lot to fill up with muscle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DJTree; 04-03-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ringo365 View Post
    just more money for the promoter
    He's not in it for the stress and warm fuzzies LOL

It's not a non-profit endeavor

I don't understand why everyone is hating on something that really hasn't even taken place yet. We all bitch that bbing isn't growing but whenever the IFBB tries to make changes we bitch about it? So what's YOUR solution. To have steel cage matches/posedowns with the top 5? The bottom line is if it doesn't work then the IFBB will drop it. I can't believe how territorial us bbers are!

I sincerely don't believe the IFBB is gonna reward people that don't have excellent physiques and look like high school basketball players. Believe it or not you can actually work out (and train legs) and have no desire to be a professional bber. Bodybuilding is what it is. Its never gonna be competing with the NFL and NBA on Sunday afternoons. It's always gonna have a following but it's not gonna sell out Madison Square Garden...EVER.
    "The worst thing happened to you that could happen to any fighter. You got civilized." Mickey to Rocky in Rocky III.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast