Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Welcome ASC's Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS. Your Rehab Q&A Guru!

My name is Mike Johnston and I am the co-owner and VP of American Strongman Corporation (ASC). I graduated from the University of Connecticut where I worked as an assistant strength coach and graduated as an Honors Scholar with a BS in Allied Health. I have been a physical therapist for 13 years practicing in sports medicine and out patient orthopedics and as such I have rehabbed tens of thousands of high school, collegiate, professional and recreational athletes. I have worked very closely with many orthopedic and neurosurgeons helping to develop rehabilitation and return to sports protocols.

I am also an athlete; I am a retired ASC 105 Kg Pro and a current 242-pound pro powerlifter. Over the years I have had many amazingly talented training partners in both powerlifting and strongman. I have been fortunate to have trained with Donnie Thompson, Marc Bartley, Brad “Wolverine” Dunn, and David Hansen to name a few. I currently train at Lexen Xtreme with Chuck Vogelpohl.

My rehab philosophy is simple; I am not in the business of telling clients what they can’t do, or what they must give up. Physical therapy is a pedagogic exercise. My goal is to teach clients how they can continue to participate in sports or in life. Whether a person wishes to lift weights, run marathons, play church league basketball or simply climb a flight of stairs, my job is to help them achieve their personal goals.

I look forward to answering questions from the RX-Muscle universe!

MJ

Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS
    VP American Strongman
    World’s Premier Strength Sport
    www.americanstrongman.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

ASC Pro Strongman Ryan Bracewell's Avatar

Mike, What type of warm-up/pre-hab movements do you recommend for strength athletes before upper body workouts & lower body workouts?

Forum Leader: Rx Strength Headquarters robert da strongman's Avatar

what would you recommend for a bad shoulder?

ASC Rehab Guru Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS's Avatar

Default Warm-up prework-out....

Ryan,

Warm-ups vary based on different philosophies. I personally have discovered that light active flexibility training with the "jump-stretch" bands followed by slowing working into the warm-up sets of the routine are best for me. I do use the bands for upper and lower body. I also add body weight squatting at various foot widths to lower body, and light shoulder and rotator cuff work to the upper body. For us old guys there is always the time honored tradition of applying liniment as well.

When I was training for strongman the philosophy was the same, but I would do some dynamic hip work after the bands; mostly like to a sprinter's track and field warm-up. But, again, I would take my time on the lighter sets of yoke or whatever so that they would serve as the warm-up.

Best,

MJ

Default Shoulders for Robert

Robert,

That really depends on what the shoulder issues are. If it just general AC joint changes, rotator cuff impingement or something more serious. It really is a fantastic question and a good subject because everyone that benches or presses overhead will eventually have a shoulder issue. EVERYONE!

Please tell me more about the specific pain, symptoms, etc.

Thanks,

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS View Post
    Robert,

That really depends on what the shoulder issues are. If it just general AC joint changes, rotator cuff impingement or something more serious. It really is a fantastic question and a good subject because everyone that benches or presses overhead will eventually have a shoulder issue. EVERYONE!

Please tell me more about the specific pain, symptoms, etc.

Thanks,

MJ
    thanks Mike. the pain is when i lift my arm overhead. good example is holding a bar to squat or the rack position for an overhead press. at it's worst i couldn't touch the back of my head.

Mike, where can I buy beer with the clamato already mixed in? Also, I was looking for some cool Affliction, after comp, MJ-esque t shirts, any suggestions?

Sorry, this is going to be a long one...

I am a multi-ply powerlifter and back in June of last year, I blew out my knee in a squatting accident, I fully tore my MCL, ACL, and partial PCL. I had two separate surgeries, one in June for my MCL and the second in August for my ACL (PCL healed on its own). I finished up physical therapy back in November, and I got the green light from my doctor back in January to get back to doing everything I used to do as long as I ease back into everything, and that's sort of where I am now. When I started training my squat and deadlift I told myself I would start off light and every 2 squat and deadlift workouts I would add 20-30lbs, to make sure that I don't try to push myself too hard too soon. My deadlift weight is more than my squat weight right now, mainly because I've had somethings come up and I've had to miss a few squat workouts, and I've tried to listen to my body and ease off when I need to.

My questions are:
    What do you think of the way I've been approaching getting back into training my lower body lifts?

Do you think I will be able to return to lifting like I was before I was injured (regularly squatting between 750-800)?

I've noticed my injured leg shakes when I'm deadlifting sometimes, is there anything I can do to correct that?

Is there anything I should being doing regularly in the gym or out to help make sure my knee stays healthy?
    Last edited by crashcrew56; 04-22-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    High Rep is for pussies- SisterSteel
    www.jakkedhardcore.com

Quote Originally Posted by robert da strongman View Post
    thanks Mike. the pain is when i lift my arm overhead. good example is holding a bar to squat or the rack position for an overhead press. at it's worst i couldn't touch the back of my head.
    Robert,

It sounds like rotator cuff impingement. (The pain with overhead activity. Pain sleeping on that side, tucking in you shirt tail or reaching across your body would be hallmarks as well.) Over time the heavy overhead press and bench press will wear down the AC joint (acromio-clavicular) causing it to become osteolytic (loss of calcium in bone.) This can lead to spurring which will cause wear and tear on the rotator cuff. (The rotator cuff is comprised of for muscles, supraspinatis, infraspinatis, teres minor and the subscpularis and they control shoulder mechanics.)

The best thing is rest, ice, rotator cuff exercises and upper back work. You can do some stretching using the "jump-stretch" bands and smaller ROM strengthening for a short period.

Ideally you can follow-up with an orthopedic MD to get a definative diagnosis as the bar behind the head could be labral involvement as well.

Best of luck and let me know how it turns out and let me know if you need specific RTC exercises.

MJ
    Last edited by Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS; 04-25-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Default Clamato!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TXFatback View Post
    Mike, where can I buy beer with the clamato already mixed in? Also, I was looking for some cool Affliction, after comp, MJ-esque t shirts, any suggestions?
    I smell Virgina! And I like it!!!!!!!!! I hope all is well, Sam. How is the PTA life treating you? Pat says you are doing some management. How is your training? How far are you from Hot Springs? Love to see you at ASM in August.

Best,

MJ

Robert,

It sounds like rotator cuff impingement. (The pain with overhead activity. Pain sleeping on that side, tucking in you shirt tail or reaching across your body would be hallmarks as well.) Over time the heavy overhead press and bench press will wear down the AC joint (acromio-clavicular) causing it to become osteolytic (loss of calcium in bone.) This can lead to spurring which will cause wear and tear on the rotator cuff. (The rotator cuff is comprised of for muscles, supraspinatis, infraspinatis, teres minor and the subscpularis and they control shoulder mechanics.)

The best thing is rest, ice, rotator cuff exercises and upper back work. You can do some stretching using the "jump-stretch" bands and smaller ROM strengthening for a short period.

Ideally you can follow-up with an orthopedic MD to get a definative diagnosis as the bar behind the head could be labral involvement as well.

Best of luck and let me know how it turns out and let me know if you need specific RTC exercises.

MJ
    thanks Mike! been doing most of what you listed. probably need to see a doc eventually...

GameofInches

I am having some lower back pain. It hurts just above my ass crack. I try doing light reverse hypers, but it feels better once I get blood pumped in it. What can I do to rehab/prehab the lower back? Thank you!

I smell Virgina! And I like it!!!!!!!!! I hope all is well, Sam. How is the PTA life treating you? Pat says you are doing some management. How is your training? How far are you from Hot Springs? Love to see you at ASM in August.

Best,

MJ
    It's my Virgina you smell indeed. Training is on and off but still creeping along. I may try to make it up to ASM in August, it'll be good to see everybody again. I am doing home health right now, I was a director of rehab, but Stacy is having some health issues, so I took a job as an independent contractor so I could massage the hours to fit. Plus the boss is the damn man. On a serious note, I have some radiculopathy at L5-S1, and it hurts like a MFer. I am doing all the McKenzie stuff, standing abs, etc. Any special recommendations? It's probably just the shit we do catching up, I can live with it. I told the MD I would take care of it, I didnt want 96 cortisone injections and percocets for the rest of my life. I also told her I see people everyday that didnt do shit their whole life and have the same issue, so I'd rather be old and strong with pain than old and skinny with pain. Good to see you, Brotha! You stick aroun' you!

Default Crash Crew 56

Quote Originally Posted by crashcrew56 View Post
    Sorry, this is going to be a long one...

I am a multi-ply powerlifter and back in June of last year, I blew out my knee in a squatting accident, I fully tore my MCL, ACL, and partial PCL. I had two separate surgeries, one in June for my MCL and the second in August for my ACL (PCL healed on its own). I finished up physical therapy back in November, and I got the green light from my doctor back in January to get back to doing everything I used to do as long as I ease back into everything, and that's sort of where I am now. When I started training my squat and deadlift I told myself I would start off light and every 2 squat and deadlift workouts I would add 20-30lbs, to make sure that I don't try to push myself too hard too soon. My deadlift weight is more than my squat weight right now, mainly because I've had somethings come up and I've had to miss a few squat workouts, and I've tried to listen to my body and ease off when I need to.

My questions are:
    What do you think of the way I've been approaching getting back into training my lower body lifts?

Do you think I will be able to return to lifting like I was before I was injured (regularly squatting between 750-800)?

I've noticed my injured leg shakes when I'm deadlifting sometimes, is there anything I can do to correct that?

Is there anything I should being doing regularly in the gym or out to help make sure my knee stays healthy?
    CC56,

1. The approach you have laid out is a good one. I would however emphasize all the accessory work, i.e. reverse hypers, ham-glutes, RDL's, etc. I would also be dragging the sled and doing all of the silly rehab stuff like, step downs, mini-hops, snakes jumps, BOSU work, lunges, etc. You need to have your injured leg on par with your well leg strength and proprioception wise. Be mindful of your flexibility too.

Continue to take it slow. Give yourself a full 18 months to return to the big weights and consider the time as many, many slow, steady meet cycles. Train in and out of your gear. Keep track of your new PR's and set goals accordingly.

2. Provided you are diligent and you had a good surgeon, I see no reason why you should not make a good recovery. You just have to be patient. Stay the course. You probably know more about real strength training then most PTs.

3. Keep training the accessory work. You are still weak and lack a little neuromuscular cohesiveness in certain areas. That is why the leg shakes. This is where the rehab stuff and some single limb strengthening become important.

4. Knee health depends on glute and hamstring strength, quad and hamstring ratio and posterior chain and hip flexor flexibility. Again accessory work and flexibility are key. Don't leave the gym until all the work is done!

Best,

MJ

Default Game of Inches/ Low Back

Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    I am having some lower back pain. It hurts just above my ass crack. I try doing light reverse hypers, but it feels better once I get blood pumped in it. What can I do to rehab/prehab the lower back? Thank you!
    Is the pain in the center of your back? Or off to one side?

MJ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast