Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ASC Rehab Guru Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS's Avatar

Default Sam the Man!

Quote Originally Posted by TXFatback View Post
    It's my Virgina you smell indeed. Training is on and off but still creeping along. I may try to make it up to ASM in August, it'll be good to see everybody again. I am doing home health right now, I was a director of rehab, but Stacy is having some health issues, so I took a job as an independent contractor so I could massage the hours to fit. Plus the boss is the damn man. On a serious note, I have some radiculopathy at L5-S1, and it hurts like a MFer. I am doing all the McKenzie stuff, standing abs, etc. Any special recommendations? It's probably just the shit we do catching up, I can live with it. I told the MD I would take care of it, I didnt want 96 cortisone injections and percocets for the rest of my life. I also told her I see people everyday that didnt do shit their whole life and have the same issue, so I'd rather be old and strong with pain than old and skinny with pain. Good to see you, Brotha! You stick aroun' you!
    Sam,

The McKenzie stuff is fine. But, I believe that a combination of flexibility and strength training is best. Besides, Mc it only works with a bulging disc. Make sure your hamstrings, calves and glutes are flexible. Also, check your lordosis. Is it proper with all movements? Believe it or not, I have low back clients doing RDLs, reverse hypers, and body weight box squats. Get your butt strong and your belly tight (I said tight, not small.) Most of the PT rehab stuff is nonsense if you aren't strong and flexible.

In extreme cases of radiculopathy, I have had the shots. In 2004 before Nationals, I needed to train so, I got some SI injections. They were the deal! But, you will have to seek out someone that does the high-speed low drag stuff. Most orthopedic MDs don't. You may have to find a crazy sport med or pain MD that actually lifts weights or deals with Pro Football players. (Otherwise they give you the lady sized bolus.)

Remember - Never trust any PT with a neck less then 18"!

Best,

MJ

all right mike...

ruptured my right achilles end of october. distal insertion rupture, not plantar insertion. repair november first. lateral incision with medial scope. cleaned and reshaped my calcaneus, anchored everything back together. in a boot, resumed walking mid janurary. pool rehab after 6 weeks.

issue I am having is three fold.

1. unpredictable swelling doc says could last 6-8 months. I wear a light compression stocking toe-knee when in the truck for more than 2 hours or whenever i fly. I have done no direct calf training, only indirect; squat, deads, rack deads, RDL's, etc. when I have swelling, I have incisional pain more so than insertional pain. a little ice, night of sleep usually resolves it, but...

2. squat is unaffected. I have 20" calves, so my hams hit my calves pretty quickly. however, when i do things like C&J's, rack presses, etc. subconsciously I am lifting my heal as opposed to pushing it in the floor during the initial pressing movement. any ideas how to get passed this?

my flexibility is good and there are no zero range of motion issues. any ideas on what I can do to reduce my swelling issues and how to work past the heal lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS View Post
    CC56,

1. The approach you have laid out is a good one. I would however emphasize all the accessory work, i.e. reverse hypers, ham-glutes, RDL's, etc. I would also be dragging the sled and doing all of the silly rehab stuff like, step downs, mini-hops, snakes jumps, BOSU work, lunges, etc. You need to have your injured leg on par with your well leg strength and proprioception wise. Be mindful of your flexibility too.

Continue to take it slow. Give yourself a full 18 months to return to the big weights and consider the time as many, many slow, steady meet cycles. Train in and out of your gear. Keep track of your new PR's and set goals accordingly.

2. Provided you are diligent and you had a good surgeon, I see no reason why you should not make a good recovery. You just have to be patient. Stay the course. You probably know more about real strength training then most PTs.

3. Keep training the accessory work. You are still weak and lack a little neuromuscular cohesiveness in certain areas. That is why the leg shakes. This is where the rehab stuff and some single limb strengthening become important.

4. Knee health depends on glute and hamstring strength, quad and hamstring ratio and posterior chain and hip flexor flexibility. Again accessory work and flexibility are key. Don't leave the gym until all the work is done!

Best,

MJ

Thank you for your complete and detailed response, I've been skipping out on some of the rehab type exercises, but I will definetly get back to do them again. Thank you again
    High Rep is for pussies- SisterSteel
    www.jakkedhardcore.com

Thanks, Mike. My hamstrings are super tight, I have been stretching them like mad. I think I can find a good sports med MD in TX. I will have the shots if it doesnt resolve in 6 weeks or so. Thanks, again.

Default Achilles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hildebrand View Post
    all right mike...

ruptured my right achilles end of october. distal insertion rupture, not plantar insertion. repair november first. lateral incision with medial scope. cleaned and reshaped my calcaneus, anchored everything back together. in a boot, resumed walking mid janurary. pool rehab after 6 weeks.

issue I am having is three fold.

1. unpredictable swelling doc says could last 6-8 months. I wear a light compression stocking toe-knee when in the truck for more than 2 hours or whenever i fly. I have done no direct calf training, only indirect; squat, deads, rack deads, RDL's, etc. when I have swelling, I have incisional pain more so than insertional pain. a little ice, night of sleep usually resolves it, but...

2. squat is unaffected. I have 20" calves, so my hams hit my calves pretty quickly. however, when i do things like C&J's, rack presses, etc. subconsciously I am lifting my heal as opposed to pushing it in the floor during the initial pressing movement. any ideas how to get passed this?

my flexibility is good and there are no zero range of motion issues. any ideas on what I can do to reduce my swelling issues and how to work past the heal lift?
    Bryan,

1. Make sure you have done plenty of scar massage. You don't want to have adhesions, i.e. you want the scar to be mobile. You can get Palmers lotion, it is a blend of cocoa-butter and vitamin E. do a transverse friction massage for 5 minutes daily. Follow that with ice for 15 minutes. they also make a specific Achilles tendon brace that provide a little compression around the tendon for support that might work.

2. I would try an Olympic lifting shoe for your overhead movements. This will set you in a little plantarflexion which will set you on your toes some and keep you from cheating forward.

Let me know what happens,

Best,

MJ

GameofInches

Is the pain in the center of your back? Or off to one side?

MJ
    Center

Default Game of Inches/ Low Back

Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    I am having some lower back pain. It hurts just above my ass crack. I try doing light reverse hypers, but it feels better once I get blood pumped in it. What can I do to rehab/prehab the lower back? Thank you!
    GoI,

I would get the back checked with your family MD, just to get an x-ray. When the pain is centered over the spine there could be a pars defect or spodylolisthesis, both of which occur in weightlifters. Because you did not mention any radicular pain I am not thinking disc. And, it could certainly just be muscular or minor degenerative changes.

The r-hypers are good, as well as RDLs, but make sure you are stretching your hips, hamstrings, calves and low back. (I use the jump-stretch bands before heavy training and on off days.)

Let me know how it turns out.

Best,

MJ

PENCILNECK

Thanks for sharing this informations
    Great Details
    Keep up the good work
    Good luck
    Mina

Mike, I am begining 4th week of post surgery healing for a bilateral quad tendon full rupture. Both tendons completely ruptured on April 2nd. Had surgery on the 4th. I am in braces, locked in fully extended position for 12 weeks. What am I in for when my rehab begins, hopefully after the 12th week?

Default Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by mina89 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this informations
    Great Details
    Keep up the good work
    Good luck
    Mina

Thanks. I will certainly try.

MJ

Sorry you were temporarily suspended...LOL!

Default Bencher

Quote Originally Posted by Bencher View Post
    Mike, I am begining 4th week of post surgery healing for a bilateral quad tendon full rupture. Both tendons completely ruptured on April 2nd. Had surgery on the 4th. I am in braces, locked in fully extended position for 12 weeks. What am I in for when my rehab begins, hopefully after the 12th week?
    Bencher,

The first and toughest task will be ROM (range of motion.) I must say that I am a little surprised that they will have you immobilized for 12 weeks. And, I may be presuming you are immobilized based on your description, but we usually get people started at 6 weeks and they are in a CPM (continuous passive range device) prior to that.

Anyway, you will work first on ROM and then slow steady strengthening. You will start with NWB (non-weightbearing) and then move to double limb support strength training. It will be a slow process, but just be patient. Also make sure that discuss with your PT what your goals are. Tell them you plan to compete in strength sports again. If they say that won't happen, find a new PT!

Best,

MJ
    Last edited by Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS; 04-28-2011 at 03:05 PM.

GameofInches

GoI,

I would get the back checked with your family MD, just to get an x-ray. When the pain is centered over the spine there could be a pars defect or spodylolisthesis, both of which occur in weightlifters. Because you did not mention any radicular pain I am not thinking disc. And, it could certainly just be muscular or minor degenerative changes.

The r-hypers are good, as well as RDLs, but make sure you are stretching your hips, hamstrings, calves and low back. (I use the jump-stretch bands before heavy training and on off days.)

Let me know how it turns out.

Best,

MJ
    Thanks.

If it is a vertebrae issue, what kinds on exercises can I do to help stengthen/rehab/prehab the area?

Also, do you have a link to any videos or articles on how to use jump stretch bands for stretching?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    Thanks.

If it is a vertebrae issue, what kinds on exercises can I do to help stengthen/rehab/prehab the area?

Also, do you have a link to any videos or articles on how to use jump stretch bands for stretching?

Thanks again!
    G o I,

The rehab would be very similar if there was an actual "spine" problem, just the speed and aggressiveness of the rehab would decrease considerably. Again, the x-ray is just to make sure there is nothing more serious going on. If there were an issue I would start with a real focus on posterior chain flexibilty, then move to light strengthening of the hamstrings, glutes and abdominal hoop building gradually. (It is nothing fancy, rather it is about timing; i.e. when to do what.)

Try www.jumpstretch.com for the band stretch pictures. I believe they will even send some photos when you purchase a band. I really believe stretching is important to general as well as injured low back health.

Best,

MJ

Bencher,

The first and toughest task will be ROM (range of motion.) I must say that I am a little surprised that they will have you immobilized for 12 weeks. And, I may be presuming you are immobilized based on your description, but we usually get people started at 6 weeks and they are in a CPM (continuous passive range device) prior to that.

Anyway, you will work first on ROM and then slow steady strengthening. You will start with NWB (non-weightbearing) and then move to double limb support strength training. It will be a slow process, but just be patient. Also make sure that discuss with your PT what your goals are. Tell them you plan to compete in strength sports again. If they say that won't happen, find a new PT!

Best,

MJ

Thanks. I went to doc appointment last thursday, the 21st. My next appt isnt untill May 31st and he has me in full lock position till then. I have to PTs that are very good friends that will be working with me, and they know how stubborn I am. Plus, they are both drop dead gorgeous women, so I will be getting as much therepy in as I can!!
    The pics of post surgery are at this thread [ame="http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=52618"]Word from Bencher and pics - RX Muscle Forums[/ame]
    The surgery was a bit more extensive then they had thought before going in. Was originally suppose to be a 4inch incision above the knees. Once they got in found was more damage then anticipated.
    They range of motion at first is what im not looking forward to. Shoot, you sit in one spot for awhile, go to move your legs and it kinda hurts, 12 weeks of zero bending and it is gonna suck!!!

BARBARIAN BROTHER Diabetic Muscle's Avatar

I have this shoulder/bicep issue that has been giving me problems for over a year now. I was suffering from some minor impingement in the left shoulder back in 09. Mostly due to lack of rear delt strength. Strengthened the rear side of the shoulder with a lot of direct rear delt work and external rotations. Fall of 2010 I started getting this bicep pain on the outside near the lateral head of tricep and brachioradialis. Primarily when pressing on the eccentric portion. It's been so bad I've had to stop the workout and take a week off from any upper body work. No has been able to tell me what this is or how to fix it. I've had an MRI done on the shoulder, no tears or abrasions on any of the tissues. Have some chronic inflammation of the bursitis. A neuromusclar massage therpist told me I had a sublaxation of the bicep long head tendon. Othro says to stop lifting. (haha like that's going to happen) Any ideas?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast