Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    ASC Rehab Guru Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetcrowns View Post
    Hi Mike, my elbow hurts me when I bench press it SUCKS and is making me miserable cuz it is costing me strenth. Any help on how to fix this? I think it is the tricep tendon.
    Crowns,

Triceps tendinitis, like any other soft tissue injury needs rest and decreased inflammation to heal. Ice and over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NASAIDS) would be a good place to start. Avoid double axis triceps movements that place a lot of pressure on the elbows, like skull crushers. Keep the bench and triceps work that you do in a controlled range of motion (ROM); you want to pump blood into the area without further damaging the tissue.

Give this about 3 to 4 weeks and then start adding heavier weight, letting pain be your guide. Continue the ice and lay of the double axis stuff.

Let me know what happens,

MJ

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnston, PT, CSCS View Post
    Crowns,

Triceps tendinitis, like any other soft tissue injury needs rest and decreased inflammation to heal. Ice and over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NASAIDS) would be a good place to start. Avoid double axis triceps movements that place a lot of pressure on the elbows, like skull crushers. Keep the bench and triceps work that you do in a controlled range of motion (ROM); you want to pump blood into the area without further damaging the tissue.

Give this about 3 to 4 weeks and then start adding heavier weight, letting pain be your guide. Continue the ice and lay of the double axis stuff.

Let me know what happens,

MJ

Thank you very much for the Help!! I will definitely take time off from skull crushers. If you don't mind if I ask, I usually bench 275 for sets of 6-8. What percent of that should I stick with? Should I just do 135 for sets of 10 but only go half way down? Or lighter? And will the blood to the area from light bench press work help the tendonitis heal? Thanks for the advice, I am most appreciative for the help.
    Last edited by TheABomb; 06-22-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetcrowns View Post
    Thank you very much for the Help!! I will definitely take time off from skull crushers. If you don't mind if I ask, I usually bench 275 for sets of 6-8. What percent of that should I stick with? Should I just do 135 for sets of 10 but only go half way down? Or lighter? And will the blood to the area from light bench press work help the tendonitis heal? Thanks for the advice, I am most appreciative for the help.
    Are you training for strength or physique? I am guessing physique based on your rep scheme. But, let me know for sure.

MJ

RX MEMBER

Are you training for strength or physique? I am guessing physique based on your rep scheme. But, let me know for sure.

MJ
    Physique. I have train for strength before, but physique is my number one priority as of now.

I was going to PM this to you, but can't get it to go through. Ended up getting an epidural for my back , and it looks worse than I thought from the initial xrays. On the fluoroscope, L5 was tilted about 15 degrees to my right side and possibly rotated. 3 docs looked at it and adjusted the machine, and could not find space for the epidural anywhere around L5. They gave me the injection caudally, and it hurt like a mf, but seems to be working.Therapy tomorrow and a MRI in July. Hoping the PT can refer me to a sports med MD close. I'm checking local gyms for somebody with a reverse hyper, and staying away from spinal loading for a while. Not a really a question, but I didn't want you staying up nights worrying maybe I can switch to men's physique, being devastatingly handsome and all.

MJ
    Crowns,

I would adjust your weight, but not that low. You should use the highest percentage of weight you can handle with only moderate pain. If you want to do partial reps, use a board like powerlifters do. I would say a 3 board would be a good place to start. What you really have to be careful of is your lockout. You may want to focus on a soft lock-out for now. That will get more tension on your chest anyway. Continue to train triceps, but only single axis movements. For the next several weeks use ice and cross-friction massage.

This should get better, just be patient.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by TXFatback View Post
    I was going to PM this to you, but can't get it to go through. Ended up getting an epidural for my back , and it looks worse than I thought from the initial xrays. On the fluoroscope, L5 was tilted about 15 degrees to my right side and possibly rotated. 3 docs looked at it and adjusted the machine, and could not find space for the epidural anywhere around L5. They gave me the injection caudally, and it hurt like a mf, but seems to be working.Therapy tomorrow and a MRI in July. Hoping the PT can refer me to a sports med MD close. I'm checking local gyms for somebody with a reverse hyper, and staying away from spinal loading for a while. Not a really a question, but I didn't want you staying up nights worrying maybe I can switch to men's physique, being devastatingly handsome and all.
    Hmmm......FATBACK.........physique...........speed-o.......wow!

I think the folks at Hairy-Bear.com would sign-up by the thousands to get a peek at that!

Good luck with the back work, brother!

MJ

RX MEMBER

Hi Mike, thanks for the help. Just wanted to say that the pain has improved and I'm back at the point where I can bench heavy without feeling it much in the elbow! Thank god. The only thing that still hurts is when I flex the tricep really hard. I haven;t been doing any tricep isolation exercise, but want to get back into that. I know skull crushers are a big no no. Do you have any suggestions for things I can do? I was thinking maybe pushdowns or dips, however with a short range of motion and no lockout?

ASC Pro Strongman Ryan Bracewell's Avatar

Mike,

Do you feel that lifters need to use briefs or a suit if they are utilizing wide stance box squats to prevent hip injury? I find that if I do squats for several weeks in a row without my briefs I start having hip aches. Not sure if this is wear and tear or just growing pains.

wear and tear... couple of questions.

1. I think I'm developing plantar fasciitis. When I wake in the morning or after an extended period of time of sitting and I get up to walk, My heel and arch hurt a bit. Goes away after it's warmed up a bit. Also, when I'm doing heavy calf work it starts to prohibit my lifting. Is this PF and what's the best thing to do help me deal with it.

2. Right elbow...almost certain I have a bone spur going on. Slight pain on pushing movements, but really restricted when it comes to tricep work. The elbow starts to really kill me. Besides getting it shaved, anything I can do?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bracewell View Post
    Mike,

Do you feel that lifters need to use briefs or a suit if they are utilizing wide stance box squats to prevent hip injury? I find that if I do squats for several weeks in a row without my briefs I start having hip aches. Not sure if this is wear and tear or just growing pains.
    Ryan,

You should definately have on briefs if you are doing wide stance squats. Or at the very least your suit without briefs. Your hip pain will improve with the briefs and and it won't effect strongman because you would really never be that wide for any events. When you squat close you can go raw or with knee sleeves and warming pants.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Capt-TaintTickler View Post
    wear and tear... couple of questions.

1. I think I'm developing plantar fasciitis. When I wake in the morning or after an extended period of time of sitting and I get up to walk, My heel and arch hurt a bit. Goes away after it's warmed up a bit. Also, when I'm doing heavy calf work it starts to prohibit my lifting. Is this PF and what's the best thing to do help me deal with it.

2. Right elbow...almost certain I have a bone spur going on. Slight pain on pushing movements, but really restricted when it comes to tricep work. The elbow starts to really kill me. Besides getting it shaved, anything I can do?

Thanks!
    Captain,

The foot sounds like PF. You must stretch your entire lower body including hip flexors with obvious attention paid to the calves (gastroc and soleus). Some deep massage may help as well or if you like your ortho/ sport med MD may prescribe a stretch boot to sleep in.n Also follow heavy training or cardio with ice.

As far as the elbow, welcome to the club. My ortho said if I can keep lifting do it and avoid what really hurts. I avoid activities where the triceps is stretched at both ends like skull crushers, French curls and the like. Board press etc, seems okay and I am only interested in moving heavy weight. If your aim is physique then you may have to explore a surgical option.

Best,

MJ

PENCILNECK

Default Bad ankles

Hey Mike, I try to play basketball and do plyos when my ankles allow me to. I got an MRI last year after a sprain didn't get better and the lab report said it was "Osteochondritis Dissecans" (*sp?) and the Sports Med Dr at the time basically called it a "pot hole" in my ankle. Even when u do a google search of that term it doesn't give u a lot of useful info. Is there anything u can tell me about it, just any general info would be a great help. Thanks for the thread.

PENCILNECK

The other thing I guess I should mention while I'm here, is Anterior Pelvic Tilt - I got it pretty significantly, my assumption is tight/weak low back muscles, really right hip flexors, and really weak underactive glutes... I've been trying to work on those, with no real luck any thoughts? Thanks

I just got back from VA, training with Pat at the plant. I was wondering if you pre make your fucking cannoli?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast