Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: MC Journal

Quote Originally Posted by masterschamp View Post
    Monday, May 23, 2011

Went to have MRI done on lumbar region. Found out last week at the Ortho that I have a hairline stress fracture in the lower back that has caused the discs to be slightly misaligned. This is what has been causing the problem with the sciatic nerve...the MRI will determine if the nerve is being pinched or pressed up against. Looks like the follow up treatment will be a procedure where they stick a needle in there as close as possible to the nerve and inject cortisone. Long term, the doc said it probably is as bad as it's gonna be...shouldn't get worse, so it's more a matter of pain management and calming down the nerve.... I do really well with pain so no biggie. Wants me to stay away form heavy squatting and DL, and "suggested" I take 4 weeks off from training legs......especially after he got a look at my other leg .... I also have a partial tear in my left hamstring...did it last week.... that has my whole leg black and blue and swollen up from the bleeding from the top of the thigh and hamstring down to the ankle. Because of the swelling and associated tightness that leg actually hurts more than the other one! Says it might take another 10 days for all the blood to be reabsorbed. Just another little detour down Bodybuilding Blvd!
    Holy Crap, that sux! Goes without sayin take it easy on that hammie.

Sorry bout your lower back and your ham Keith! I've had serious lower back L5/S1 problems for many years and have had numerous cortizone injections and it does relieve the pain and inflammation some. My Osteopath has told me NEVER to do squats, leg press, deadlifts, etc again. Same Osteopath that's worked on my knees too. She is a triathlete so she get why we do this to our bodies to an extent but not why we go back to doing the same thing that brought us in there in the first place.

Bottom line is knock on wood but I'm doing squats again with no serious pain so I think you'll bounce back quickly and it won't derail your plans to get on stage pretty soon!! Hang in there and rest it, let the cortizone shots take affect.....

Heal fast bro!
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfit View Post
    Holy Crap, that sux! Goes without sayin take it easy on that hammie.
    Thanks, Mike.......definitely going to back off on the leg training for the next month. Not real happy about it but I'd be even more pissed if I totally screwed things up by being stubborn and trying to work through it. I know it's what I HAVE to do....in the long run I'll be better off for doing so.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCouch View Post
    Sorry bout your lower back and your ham Keith! I've had serious lower back L5/S1 problems for many years and have had numerous cortizone injections and it does relieve the pain and inflammation some. My Osteopath has told me NEVER to do squats, leg press, deadlifts, etc again. Same Osteopath that's worked on my knees too. She is a triathlete so she get why we do this to our bodies to an extent but not why we go back to doing the same thing that brought us in there in the first place.

Bottom line is knock on wood but I'm doing squats again with no serious pain so I think you'll bounce back quickly and it won't derail your plans to get on stage pretty soon!! Hang in there and rest it, let the cortizone shots take affect.....

Heal fast bro!
    kevin

Thanks, Kevin

My doc always makes "suggestions" as to training....he says that as a group, we, (athletes), are the most stubborn people he's ever seen, but he too, understands that's a big part of why we succeed. He's always been really honest with me about when I can keep going or when I need to back off. I think when he wants me to back off for 4 weeks he tells me 6, cause he knows I will be back "ahead of schedule" LOL! I'll give it a little rest and be hitting the legs hard again soon....like you said I don't plan on letting this interfere with any competition plans. Besides, if taking a little time off from leg training had anything to do with the way your legs are looking now, I'd be happy with half the results!!

Keith
    Last edited by masterschamp; 05-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.

You falling apart old man?

Quote Originally Posted by EBA84 View Post
    You falling apart old man?
    HA HA...LOL!!!!!! Seriously....this has been a freakin pain in the ass ...literally and figuratively. I was gonna give you a call this weekend to let you know what was going on and also to let you know when I will be up there. I'll shoot you an e mail today when I get a break.

Keith

This just keeps getting better!! Went back to Ortho yesterday to go over the MRI results and found out I have 3 ruptured discs down there too!! WTF!!! Stress fracture, Spondyalosis?, 3 ruptured discs, and a touch of arthritis...other than that everything is just fine!
    He was really surprised that I was dealing with things so well...told him that I was always able to deal with pain...his reply was "apparently"
    Not even going to do the cortisone thing now....Good news was he said that if am dealing with all of this so well, even though he can't see how, then just keep doing what I have been in the gym...I am still having some of my best ever training sessions. He still advised me to stay away ffrm training legs for at least 3 more weeks...more because of the hammie tear than anything, and he said he'd still like me to stay away from squats and deads when I start hitting legs again. Said be careful and he'll see me in two more weeks to see how things are going.
    In all honesty, no matter what he said, nothing was going to keep me out of the gym and training to compete. I am sure evryone here can relate to that mindset.

Keith
    Last edited by masterschamp; 05-27-2011 at 08:42 AM.

In all honesty, no matter what he said, nothing was going to keep me out of the gym and training to compete. I am sure evryone here can relate to that mindset.

Keith
    Keith really sorry to hear about MRI results...that sucks! You must have a really high tolerance for pain!! You're right on the cortizone shot if you can deal with the pain without it then not much point in getting it because it doesn't fix your injuries just reduces the pain and inflamation. I would say let your pain be your judge as to when you can start doing legs again but in your case?? Pain is not a deterent! Hope you begin to heal soon and I'm sure you're gonna still be doing all other bodyparts so you can use this time to blast them!!

This just keeps getting better!! Went back to Ortho yesterday to go over the MRI results and found out I have 3 ruptured discs down there too!! WTF!!! Stress fracture, Spondyalosis?, 3 ruptured discs, and a touch of arthritis...other than that everything is just fine!
    He was really surprised that I was dealing with things so well...told him that I was always able to deal with pain...his reply was "apparently"
    Not even going to do the cortisone thing now....Good news was he said that if am dealing with all of this so well, even though he can't see how, then just keep doing what I have been in the gym...I am still having some of my best ever training sessions. He still advised me to stay away ffrm training legs for at least 3 more weeks...more because of the hammie tear than anything, and he said he'd still like me to stay away from squats and deads when I start hitting legs again. Said be careful and he'll see me in two more weeks to see how things are going.

Keith
    Can totally relate Keith. Stay to what you know about your body. We know our bodies a hella of lot more than the Docs do. Just train smart. You know what to do. Train around the pains. Find what works without hurting the ham.
    Stimulate not annilate. I have to remind myself of this everyday.

OLYMPIAN

yes agree my back spasms all the time from heavy deads years ago actually has at times affected otehr things as well.

I jsut can not really squat heavy any more as much as I would like just have to know what you can do like Mike and Kevin say.

Quote Originally Posted by ayezer View Post
    yes agree my back spasms all the time from heavy deads years ago actually has at times affected otehr things as well.

I jsut can not really squat heavy any more as much as I would like just have to know what you can do like Mike and Kevin say.
    I can't squat heavy anymore, sure I guess it would be heavy to the average guy but my squat weights are irrevelevant anymore. We just make sure we blast our wheels from all angles and be creative!! I've learned from Steve (MacTech) that unilateral quad work can induce serious development, been doing more and more of single leg presses, extensions! The single leg leg presses are especially important for me because I was doing Leg presses last September when I BLEW and my CNS out because I was bringing down so deep it ruptured my disc. Now I do them unilaterally and it doesn't strain my lower back at all!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCouch View Post
    Keith really sorry to hear about MRI results...that sucks! You must have a really high tolerance for pain!! You're right on the cortizone shot if you can deal with the pain without it then not much point in getting it because it doesn't fix your injuries just reduces the pain and inflamation. I would say let your pain be your judge as to when you can start doing legs again but in your case?? Pain is not a deterent! Hope you begin to heal soon and I'm sure you're gonna still be doing all other bodyparts so you can use this time to blast them!!
    Thanks, Kevin..........it is ironic that I am having such good upper body sessions with all this back and leg stuff going on. Like you said...I'll just blast the hell of what I can train!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfit View Post
    Can totally relate Keith. Stay to what you know about your body. We know our bodies a hella of lot more than the Docs do. Just train smart. You know what to do. Train around the pains. Find what works without hurting the ham.
    Stimulate not annilate. I have to remind myself of this everyday.

Well said Mike....that's another advantage we ( masters) have in this game. The years have taught us how to get around just about anything that comes our way.

Keith

Monday, May 30, 2011 DELTS/TRICEPS/MINI CHEST

Back, leg, ham...etc., etc.,......feeling pretty good. Training is going great, actually. Just gonna keep plugging away! Still going to take another week or two off for legs, though.

Side Lateral Mahine
    20 x 25
    30 x 15
    40 x 12
    40 x 12

DB Laterals
    25 x 12
    25 x 12
    25 x 12
    25 x 12

Hammer Shoulder Press
    1 plate/side x 15
    1 plate + 25/side x 12
    2 plates/side x 10
    2 plates/side x 10
    2 plates/side x 10

U BB Row ( ez bar)
    50 x 25
    70 x 15
    90 x 10
    90 x 10

Front Cable Raise
    50 x 12
    50 x 12
    50 x 12

Pressdown
    100 x 25
    120 x 20
    140 x 15
    160 x 12
    180 x 10

Seated Tricep Ext Machine
    60 x 20
    80 x 12
    100 x 10
    100 x 10

SUPERSET:
    DB Extension 25 x 12,12,12
    DB Kickback 25 x 12,12,12

Dips
    BWT x 15,12,12

Pec Deck
    100 x 20,15,15

Seated Machine Press
    200 x 15,15,12

BWT 194
    Last edited by masterschamp; 05-31-2011 at 09:16 AM.

That's one hell of a workout Keith. Lot's of volume.

Your legs aren't going to fade away in a couple of weeks, in fact, you may end up with more gains.

Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast