Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Cabergoline

  1. #1
    GameofInches
    Guest

    Default Cabergoline

    Hey Doc,

    Are there any negative health effects to taking Dostinex (cabergoline) for long periods of time? I know it is a dopamine agonist, but will prolonged use make one dependent on it? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Hormone Replacement Therapy M.D. Dr. Joel Nathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    8572

    Default Cabergoline Side Effects

    Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    Hey Doc,

    Are there any negative health effects to taking Dostinex (cabergoline) for long periods of time? I know it is a dopamine agonist, but will prolonged use make one dependent on it? Thank you!
    Yes, there are side effects.
    Cabergoline tablets are contraindicated in patients with
    • Uncontrolled hypertension or known hypersensitivity to ergot derivatives.
    • History of pulmonary, pericardial, cardiac valvular, or retroperitoneal fibrotic disorders .
    • There are some medications that are harmful if taken with cabergoline.
    • There are particular issues with not prescribing this to women who are pregnant or considering pregnancy.

    Cabergoline is not a controlled substance and has not (yet) show to be addictive. The operative work is "yet", consult with your doc before taking this regarding any addiction or withdrawal potential in your particular case.

  3. #3
    GameofInches
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joel Nathan View Post
    Yes, there are side effects.

    Cabergoline tablets are contraindicated in patients with
    • Uncontrolled hypertension or known hypersensitivity to ergot derivatives.
    • History of pulmonary, pericardial, cardiac valvular, or retroperitoneal fibrotic disorders .
    • There are some medications that are harmful if taken with cabergoline.
    • There are particular issues with not prescribing this to women who are pregnant or considering pregnancy.
    Cabergoline is not a controlled substance and has not (yet) show to be addictive. The operative work is "yet", consult with your doc before taking this regarding any addiction or withdrawal potential in your particular case.
    Wow, so are you saying that it could be addictive?

  4. #4
    Hormone Replacement Therapy M.D. Dr. Joel Nathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    8572

    Default Not addictive, probably

    Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    Wow, so are you saying that it could be addictive?
    It has ben seen in the past with other drugs (eg Talwin) that originally are marketed as non-addictive that later are shown to be habit forming. So the"yet" means that as of now it is not addictive.

  5. #5
    GameofInches
    Guest

    Default

    That's interesting to know, thanks for the info Doc!

  6. #6
    NOVICE J-SWOL187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    how is it used with parkinson's patients? ..or is it? Parkinson's runs in my family and I want to know if use of this would induce parkinson's at an earlier age. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

  7. #7
    Hormone Replacement Therapy M.D. Dr. Joel Nathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    8572

    Default Parkinson's and Cabergoline

    Quote Originally Posted by J-SWOL187 View Post
    how is it used with Parkinson's patients? ..or is it? Parkinson's runs in my family and I want to know if use of this would induce parkinson's at an earlier age. Thanks in advance for any info on this.
    Yes is has been used to help motor fluctuations in Parkinson's disease, but it is not a primary treatment. There is nothing to say that it would INDUCE Parkinson's disease.

  8. #8
    OLYMPIAN Joshua H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    79536

    Default

    I just got a script for this myself to help with hyperprolactinemia. Taken 2x a week for 4 months to supress prolactin and then indirectly allow my T levels to come back up (I hope!)

    Started yesterday.

  9. #9
    OLYMPIAN Joshua H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    79536

    Default 1 month results

    After one month on cabergoline (1 dose every monday and friday) my prolactin levels went from 23 (high) to 3 (very low). I had no side effects at all during this one month of use. Sadly the suppressed prolactin did not bring up my T levels as was the goal. I went from 517 total to 492 total T in one month. My doc is supposed to be contacting me to decide what we do from this point on.

    Since April to now my T went from 535 to the 492 which is a 9% drop in less then 1 year at age 27. He does not like the rate of drop in total T more then anything. We corrected for diet, sleep, training, supplements, stress etc to assure it was not any of those factors causing the drop. It seems to be purely physiological/endocrine based at this time.

  10. #10
    RX MEMBER toxic Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    52346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua H View Post
    After one month on cabergoline (1 dose every monday and friday) my prolactin levels went from 23 (high) to 3 (very low). I had no side effects at all during this one month of use. Sadly the suppressed prolactin did not bring up my T levels as was the goal. I went from 517 total to 492 total T in one month. My doc is supposed to be contacting me to decide what we do from this point on.

    Since April to now my T went from 535 to the 492 which is a 9% drop in less then 1 year at age 27. He does not like the rate of drop in total T more then anything. We corrected for diet, sleep, training, supplements, stress etc to assure it was not any of those factors causing the drop. It seems to be purely physiological/endocrine based at this time.
    Testosterone levels are a moving target. That "drop" is most likely not significant.

  11. #11
    OLYMPIAN Joshua H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    79536

    Question True but not true...

    Total T has diurnal variations yes. Peaking in the early morning and hitting its low point just before bedtime in adult men.

    The flux is around 710 ng/dl (peak) and 426ng/dl (low) when measured at 8am and 10pm in a group of 45 men ages 30-35 years. (Archives of Family Medicine 1999; 8)

    I had my labs taken at around 8am in fasted state for each of 3 blood draws. Thus to have dropped 9% under the same sample conditions in 9 months at my age and with my lifestyle does not fit well with what my doctor expects to see, nor I for that matter.

    Not mention that my peak values are now closer to the daily low most adult men have (compared to this study) which means my true 24 hour low could be around 300 ng/dl if that.

    Certainly reason for some concerns at my age and lifestyle. Nor do I use any kind of AAS or have I.

  12. #12
    PENCILNECK cloclock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default fertility

    take now!


    Clomid is a fertility drug, used to stimulate FSH and LH production and hereby the ovaries to produce eggs in ovarian disorders.

  13. #13
    RX MEMBER toxic Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    52346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua H View Post
    Total T has diurnal variations yes. Peaking in the early morning and hitting its low point just before bedtime in adult men.

    The flux is around 710 ng/dl (peak) and 426ng/dl (low) when measured at 8am and 10pm in a group of 45 men ages 30-35 years. (Archives of Family Medicine 1999; 8)

    I had my labs taken at around 8am in fasted state for each of 3 blood draws. Thus to have dropped 9% under the same sample conditions in 9 months at my age and with my lifestyle does not fit well with what my doctor expects to see, nor I for that matter.

    Not mention that my peak values are now closer to the daily low most adult men have (compared to this study) which means my true 24 hour low could be around 300 ng/dl if that.

    Certainly reason for some concerns at my age and lifestyle. Nor do I use any kind of AAS or have I.
    You are so over intepreting your results I don't really want to respond to this. Your logic is flawed. The test itself likely has more than 9% error not to mention inter-operator error, intermediate percision etc. Look if you want to go on TRT then do it but don' t blow smoke up your own ass and mine. I worked in clinical chemistry.

  14. #14
    OLYMPIAN Joshua H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    79536

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic Avenger View Post
    You are so over intepreting your results I don't really want to respond to this. Your logic is flawed. The test itself likely has more than 9% error not to mention inter-operator error, intermediate percision etc. Look if you want to go on TRT then do it but don' t blow smoke up your own ass and mine. I worked in clinical chemistry.
    Nixon worked in the oval office to, that don't mean he was good at it...

    The numbers are what they are and I feel without question my doctor is working in my best interest. I do not want to go on any HRT at all. Not at my age now. Doing so means the likely outcome of a lifetime on them based on his predictions. I will do all I can to stay off HRT as well.

    As of now it looks like were going 3 more months Cabergoline since it did drop my levels of prolactin from 23 to 3 in 1 month. The fastest drop he has seen with the drug in that time. With more time this should lift the suppressive effects on T and all is well after that.

  15. #15
    Hormone Replacement Therapy M.D. Dr. Joel Nathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    8572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua H View Post
    Nixon worked in the oval office to, that don't mean he was good at it...

    The numbers are what they are and I feel without question my doctor is working in my best interest. I do not want to go on any HRT at all. Not at my age now. Doing so means the likely outcome of a lifetime on them based on his predictions. I will do all I can to stay off HRT as well.

    As of now it looks like were going 3 more months Cabergoline since it did drop my levels of prolactin from 23 to 3 in 1 month. The fastest drop he has seen with the drug in that time. With more time this should lift the suppressive effects on T and all is well after that.
    Joshua,
    Your case is complex. It would be best to sort it out with your health care provider as well as with an endocrinologist.
    Regards,
    Joel Nathan, MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •