Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default What bodypart needs work? Help found here.

Everyone has a lagging bodypart. Talk about yours...ask for help....or tell us how you've managed to bring yours up.

My lower back has always been the slowest to respond. I have not been able to find a good work out that is not hard on it. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong

Have your tried doing hypers for a month to get blood flow into the erectors and get them to start growing? After a month, hold weight as you do them until you work up to a 45lb plate, doing 3 sets to failure.....then add deads for real growth.

Chest.. my shoulders take over ... i need my upper chest to grow.. i need help

Quote Originally Posted by meNNace View Post
    Chest.. my shoulders take over ... i need my upper chest to grow.. i need help
    Incline flies, heavy (6-8 rep weight)...not real wide...but as deep as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by esplendido View Post
    Have your tried doing hypers for a month to get blood flow into the erectors and get them to start growing? After a month, hold weight as you do them until you work up to a 45lb plate, doing 3 sets to failure.....then add deads for real growth.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

GYM RAT

Im taking the next 12 months to bring up arms and calves to balance out more .... rest of me is ok really ...

Im using the giant set approach 10 exercises light/medium weights 10-15 reps to failure at the end exercise and probably 4 -5 sets ... once or twice a week insulin and 200gm carbs during workout to blow them right out. Im perpetualy on keto mon- sat and sunday off so lean anyway ... should do the trick , fingers crossed.

oh Im 40 ....

Quote Originally Posted by zander View Post
    Im taking the next 12 months to bring up arms and calves to balance out more .... rest of me is ok really ...

Im using the giant set approach 10 exercises light/medium weights 10-15 reps to failure at the end exercise and probably 4 -5 sets ... once or twice a week insulin and 200gm carbs during workout to blow them right out. Im perpetualy on keto mon- sat and sunday off so lean anyway ... should do the trick , fingers crossed.

oh Im 40 ....
    How do you mean "bring up"? Do you lack size? shape? Light/medium weight at high reps does not add size. You have to lift heavy in the 6-8 rep range for size (with the exception of doing HIT). You get a nice pump from giant sets, which can make it seem like you're growing.

The thing about your insulin use and bringing 'up' a bodypart is that all your bodyparts are going to come up and the arms and calves, even if they grow, will still be out of proportion with your overall physique. I'm saying that, even though you're training the arms/calves harder than your other bodyparts, the insulin use is going to equalize that growth throughout the body and you'll still have a balance issue.

It's actually better to dial all your other bodyparts back to a maintenance level of training and push the weak parts hard in the off season, using AAS only.

GYM RAT

My arms. Overall they need to be thicker, but especially my triceps. I hear so much conflicting methods on arm training though. Some say they're a small body part so they only need like 2 exercise a week, others say you need to work the crap out of them, doing 16-20 sets per workout. For triceps I used to do mostly do skull crushers, overhead dumbells and push downs. But lately i've been doing workouts based around close grip bench press and I've moved my hand grip inward a little on regular bench press. For bis, I added in hammer curls to try to get the brachial muscle bigger to see if that helps the appearance of overall thickness.

My lats lag thickness too. I've never done weighted pull ups though, so I think that might be were the secret is. Even in off season when my back does get pretty thick, the lats still lag but I think this is genetics. My lats are like Kai greene's in the way they sit kind of high.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Rebel View Post
    My arms. Overall they need to be thicker, but especially my triceps. I hear so much conflicting methods on arm training though. Some say they're a small body part so they only need like 2 exercise a week, others say you need to work the crap out of them, doing 16-20 sets per workout. For triceps I used to do mostly do skull crushers, overhead dumbells and push downs. But lately i've been doing workouts based around close grip bench press and I've moved my hand grip inward a little on regular bench press. For bis, I added in hammer curls to try to get the brachial muscle bigger to see if that helps the appearance of overall thickness.

My lats lag thickness too. I've never done weighted pull ups though, so I think that might be were the secret is. Even in off season when my back does get pretty thick, the lats still lag but I think this is genetics. My lats are like Kai greene's in the way they sit kind of high.
    There is a direct link between lat development and arm development...especially bi's and lats. The Biceps are the weak link in back development because they need to be able to contract at 100% during pulling movements that work back. If your bi's are weak, you won't be able to build a thick, wide lat spread.

Concentrating on bringing up your bi's will by default help bring up your back.

Triceps are probably the easiest muscle group to build....and the most neglected. If I were you, and if you are not doing this already, I would give tri's their own workout...or at least arms by themselves. If you're combining bench or shoulders with tri's, you won't be able to give them the concentration and effort needed to bring them up.

Building tri's is no different from building any other muscle. You need to move increasingly heavier weight over the course of the building phase....and you need to lift heavy enough weight that 6-8 reps are the max reps to failure. The tri's can take a lot of work.....moreso than the bi's. I mean work as in load. Let me recommend a routine for you. Try it for 2 months and see what happens. It will include only 3 different exercises at 3 sets each.

Warm up well on the triceps pushdown....2 sets of 20 reps semi-easy.

Triceps pushdown: 3 sets of the following....
    Set 1: 10 reps at 80% max
    Set 2: 8 reps at 90% max
    Set 3: to failure at max weight (max indicates a weight you can push down 3-4 times)

Dips: 3 sets of the following...
    Set 1: Normal grip, weighted to where you can get only 10 reps
    Set 2: Reverse grip, add 25lbs, go to failure
    Set 3: Normal grip, add another 25lbs, go to failure

Triceps kickback with cable (1 arm at a time): 3 sets of the following...
    Set 1: (slightly bent over) with weight that allows only 10 reps...fully lock arm in down position on each rep
    Set 2: add 10lbs, to failure
    set 3: same as Set 2.

If you are not fully pumped and burning after that workout, you're not using enough weight. You will grow! Every other workout, attempt to increase the load (weight) on each exercise....even if it means pinning a 5lb weight to the stack.

Let me know how it works for you.

GYM RAT

Alright, I'll try that. But no close grip bench or skull crushers added in there everyonce in a while? I'm definitely willing to try something new, its just every single thing I read about tricep mass stresses you need these exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Rebel View Post
    Alright, I'll try that. But no close grip bench or skull crushers added in there everyonce in a while? I'm definitely willing to try something new, its just every single thing I read about tricep mass stresses you need these exercises.
    Push downs replace skull crushers. I don't believe in close grip benches for 2 reasons; 1) Dips do a better job, and 2) your chest is still engaged on close grips, and unless you're doing tri's with chest, you're not giving your chest enough recovery doing close grips between chest workouts.

It's all about efficiency. Do the most work in the least possible sets to allow for maximum growth and recovery. HIT probably addresses this issue the best, although HIT training opens one up to more injury possibilities.

Will your tri's grow with skull crushers and close grip bench? Absolutely! 100's of BBers swear by them and have great triceps. Again, though, I subscribe to being efficient, and I have 30 years under my belt working out efficiency.

BUT! We're talking about YOUR problem, and I prescribed something tailored to it. When you get things rolling and feel you've brought your triceps up sufficiently, switch to whatever exercises suit you.

One of the things that has worked well for me is, heavy drop sets. Use enough weight to only get 4 reps (like esplendido stated), then, drop some weight to complete 4 to 6 more reps, so the rep range for the set is 8 to 10 reps per set.

Quote Originally Posted by esplendido View Post
    Incline flies, heavy (6-8 rep weight)...not real wide...but as deep as you can get.
    thanx im going to try that, i also my triceps... specially the long head... my lateralhead takes over alot when i do over head movements i feel it more there.

Quote Originally Posted by meNNace View Post
    thanx im going to try that, i also my triceps... specially the long head... my lateralhead takes over alot when i do over head movements i feel it more there.
    The flying movement takes the tri's out of it except at the very top. To overcome that, squeeze your pecs at the top of the movement before starting the next rep. Make sure you feel your pecs stretch at the bottom of the move and try to stretch them more every rep.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast