Default mixed messages about estrogen

I have been doing quite a bit of reading and research regarding the use of anavar. I am not ready to use however, my real issue becomes one of my own endocrine system. I am under the care of a doctor and have been on Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for almost two years. I am 39. When I had my blood panel done initially, I had No estrogen at all, very low thyroid, and very low progesterone. I have been taking armour thyroid, 3 grains which is a pretty high dose to just feel like I am human again, 3mg of Estrodiol and 400 mg of progesterone. The information out there seems to imply that the use of any AAS would be counter intuitive to the hormone replacement therapy. And, that the use of estrogen would make it very difficult for me to lose the fat on my hips and thighs. I felt so bad for so long and feel pretty damn good right now that I am not willing to give up the hormones. Am I spinning my wheels needlessly trying to diet down and add muscle? When I was in my early 20's I was training regularly and dieting very clean. I looked good and felt great and just want to get back to being healthy. Am I trying to do the impossible?

I have read elsewhere on this forum that it is possible that estrogen is a good thing. Does anybody have any definitive information or ideas that can help?
    Kristie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GKharma View Post
    I have been doing quite a bit of reading and research regarding the use of anavar. I am not ready to use however, my real issue becomes one of my own endocrine system. I am under the care of a doctor and have been on 1. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for almost two years. 2. I am 39. When I had my blood panel done initially, I had No estrogen at all, very low thyroid, and very low progesterone. I have been taking 3.armour thyroid, 3 grains which is a pretty high dose to just feel like I am human again, 4. 3mg of Estrodiol and 400 mg of progesterone. 5. The information out there seems to imply that the use of any AAS would be counter intuitive to the hormone replacement therapy. And, that the use of estrogen would make it very difficult for me to lose the fat on my hips and thighs. I felt so bad for so long and feel pretty damn good right now that I am not willing to give up the hormones. Am I spinning my wheels needlessly trying to diet down and add muscle? When I was in my early 20's I was training regularly and dieting very clean. I looked good and felt great and just want to get back to being healthy. Am I trying to do the impossible?

6. I have read elsewhere on this forum that it is possible that estrogen is a good thing. Does anybody have any definitive information or ideas that can help?
    Kristie

1. This is a relatively new treatment that is not 100% agreed upon.
    2. 39 is pretty damn early to get menopause.
    3. What the hell is "3 grains"?
    4. Is this a doctor prescribed dosage, as BIHT is compounding therapy.
    5. This is incorrect, as BIHT often involves Testosterone to help libido among other things.???
    6. You ask about anavar, then you conclude with estrogen?

You should stick to your doctors advice and care, BIHT is a relatively new treatment protocol for post-menopausal women, what is your intention in seeking advice from random people on a BB'ing board, stick to your doctor.

Of course estrogen is beneficial in post-menopausal women, but only under the care of your doctor.

if you're not on Testosterone already, then i would ask your doctor and have your blood levels checked.

women should not be supplementing with extra male androgens peroid. But, if you're aware of the risks involved, and you still wish to proceed with an Anavar cycle, then that's your choice, you bare the responsibility, no one else.

a typical female anavar cycle consists of 10-20mg of anavar taken for a duration for 8-12wks, no PCT required.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
    1. This is a relatively new treatment that is not 100% agreed upon.
    2. 39 is pretty damn early to get menopause.
    3. What the hell is "3 grains"?
    4. Is this a doctor prescribed dosage, as BIHT is compounding therapy.
    5. This is incorrect, as BIHT often involves Testosterone to help libido among other things.???
    6. You ask about anavar, then you conclude with estrogen?

You should stick to your doctors advice and care, BIHT is a relatively new treatment protocol for post-menopausal women, what is your intention in seeking advice from random people on a BB'ing board, stick to your doctor.

Of course estrogen is beneficial in post-menopausal women, but only under the care of your doctor.

if you're not on Testosterone already, then i would ask your doctor and have your blood levels checked.

women should not be supplementing with extra male androgens peroid. But, if you're aware of the risks involved, and you still wish to proceed with an Anavar cycle, then that's your choice, you bare the responsibility, no one else.

a typical female anavar cycle consists of 10-20mg of anavar taken for a duration for 8-12wks, no PCT required.

1.Yes, I understand that bhrt is relatively new and not agreed upon
    2.nothing I can do about my age and lack of endocrine functioning
    3. thyroid is prescribed in "half grains" I am taking 90mgs of a compound of T4 and T3
    4. none of what I am taking comes from the compounding pharmacy. This is a doctor's prescription. not something I made up because I didn't feel well.
    5. Estrogen seems to take care of the libido or lack there of, no testosterone is necessary or considered to increase my libido.
    6. Yes, I did because I am considering competing again and I am not 20 anymore. I am different physically now than before. I want to know if anyone else has the same or similar issues and if they bother to use any gear or not.
    7. There is a lot of information out there and the consensus is that women should stop using BC (estrogen/proseterone) if using anything because estogen is generally blamed for weight gain.

Sorry if my original post was unclear.
    K

I'm a bit confused - I get you're using bio-identical hormone therapy & various thyroid, etc.. You want to compete and you're asking about anavar. Before going into any discussion of steroids, where are you with your physique now, as well as your diet & training? The statements you are making about losing estrogen-pattern bodyfat makes it sound like its a foregone conclusion that you're going to be carrying lumpy stuff on your hips regardless of what you do.

It would help to have a better idea of what you have to work with now before getting all dramatic about being able to accomplish anything. If you have no estrogen naturally, I imagine you would have a very hard time building muscle (tho no issue staying lean). With estro therapy, do you see it producing dramatic increases in hip/thigh fat? Your estro therapy should bringi you at least to parity w/ where someone your age would be w/ their natural estrogen. I don't know that this means implicitly that you are going to be thick in the thighs? Have you dieted down to see what you can accomplish w/ just diet & training?

If your goal is competition, what type of competition? Both Bikini & Figure are leaning towards softer anyway.

And I will also point this thread out to my girl Musclemilf, who also has experience w/ biodentical hormone therapy and comes from a competition-level frame of mind.
    Last edited by sassy69; 05-23-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

MyOatmeal.com Rep Mr.Dedication's Avatar

subbed for responses and I'm a little confused too

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by GKharma View Post
    I have been doing quite a bit of reading and research regarding the use of anavar. I am not ready to use however, my real issue becomes one of my own endocrine system. I am under the care of a doctor and have been on Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for almost two years. I am 39. When I had my blood panel done initially, I had No estrogen at all, very low thyroid, and very low progesterone. I have been taking armour thyroid, 3 grains which is a pretty high dose to just feel like I am human again, 3mg of Estrodiol and 400 mg of progesterone. The information out there seems to imply that the use of any AAS would be counter intuitive to the hormone replacement therapy. And, that the use of estrogen would make it very difficult for me to lose the fat on my hips and thighs. I felt so bad for so long and feel pretty damn good right now that I am not willing to give up the hormones. Am I spinning my wheels needlessly trying to diet down and add muscle? When I was in my early 20's I was training regularly and dieting very clean. I looked good and felt great and just want to get back to being healthy. Am I trying to do the impossible?

I have read elsewhere on this forum that it is possible that estrogen is a good thing. Does anybody have any definitive information or ideas that can help?
    Kristie
    First thing, dieting down while trying add muscle at the same time is difficult to almost impossible to do. If you want to add muscle, you need train heavy and adjust your caloric intake upwards to accomodate your training. This also means reducing or eliminating cardio for duration of your bulking period. You have to let the scale move in a direction for a period of time that will take you out of your comfort zone.

As far as estrogenic hip and fat deposits, those are caused by estrone (produced primarily from the adrenals), NOT estradiol. As women get older, there's a tendency to have an increase of fat in these areas (including stomach) as the ovaries start to "wind" down as the main producer of estradiol. Estradiol overall seems to get a bad rep. When our primary sex hormones are out of whack we will feel like shit, then other things go wrong in the endocrine system, such as the thyroid.

My suggestion to you is to get the hormones balanced and leveled off for a period of time before embarking on a journey to the dark side. AAS are not fat burners. They help to promote muscle growth and support recovery. In fact, the scale will likely "go up" even when using a mild steroid like anavar.

Can you provide us with a little more information such as stats, diet, training and whether you are really in premature menopause?

PENCILNECK

I am 48 and currently taking estrogen, thyroid and test. hormone replacement therapy as prescribed by my Doc. I am also a female bodybuilder.
    I too was worried about losing fat and building muscle with the Added female hormones but it hasnt affected me in a negative way at all.
    Befor the HRT, I felt awful and had no energy. I was gaining weight no matter how much I tried to divert it with excersize and diet. Now that my Hormone levels are at a normal range, I have put on good muscle, lost bodyfat and have nice skin and hair. I even look more curvey. Im currently pre-contest dieting and having no trouble getting the fat off with proper diet and excersize and My bodytype is endomorph befor bodybuilding, so I know what your fears are. As for Anavar, I would also talk to someone with knowledge and experience, but it wont replace a solid nutrition plan

Quote Originally Posted by musclemilf View Post
    First thing, dieting down while trying add muscle at the same time is difficult to almost impossible to do. If you want to add muscle, you need train heavy and adjust your caloric intake upwards to accomodate your training. This also means reducing or eliminating cardio for duration of your bulking period. You have to let the scale move in a direction for a period of time that will take you out of your comfort zone.

As far as estrogenic hip and fat deposits, those are caused by estrone (produced primarily from the adrenals), NOT estradiol. As women get older, there's a tendency to have an increase of fat in these areas (including stomach) as the ovaries start to "wind" down as the main producer of estradiol. Estradiol overall seems to get a bad rep. When our primary sex hormones are out of whack we will feel like shit, then other things go wrong in the endocrine system, such as the thyroid.

My suggestion to you is to get the hormones balanced and leveled off for a period of time before embarking on a journey to the dark side. AAS are not fat burners. They help to promote muscle growth and support recovery. In fact, the scale will likely "go up" even when using a mild steroid like anavar.

Can you provide us with a little more information such as stats, diet, training and whether you are really in premature menopause?
    Thanks for your response. I am just getting started again after being out of the diet and exercise scene for many years. I have been able to diet down in the past but quite frankly I want to be bigger. I am tired of being scrawny in all the wrong places. With the changes in my endocrine system in the last few years, I have been miserable with how I look. I am not into the numbers of how much I weigh but rather how my clothes fit. If at some point I decide to use anavar or something else I expect to put on weight. My main concern is that because of the estradiol I wouldn't be able to lose any of the fat I have gained while doing nothing.
    I am considered in peri menopause .....

my diet,
    #1 2 eggs 4 egg whites, half a cup of rolled whole oats
    #2 1 cup of egg whites 1 scoop of whey protein isolate, handful of blueberries, 3 strawberries, 1 tsp of almond butter and half cup oats
    #3 6-8 oz of albacore tuna on a bed of romaine lettuce, greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and balsamic vinagrette dressing
    #4 same as #2
    #5 tilapia filet or salmon filet, with a half cup of brown rice

I am 5'10" and 183lbs

I also realize that I need to be much more lean before I consider using anavar or anything like it. I like to plan things and map out what I am doing. So maybe some would consider my questions premature but I am just planning for the future.

I really do appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Taubenheim View Post
    I am 48 and currently taking estrogen, thyroid and test. hormone replacement therapy as prescribed by my Doc. I am also a female bodybuilder.
    I too was worried about losing fat and building muscle with the Added female hormones but it hasnt affected me in a negative way at all.
    Befor the HRT, I felt awful and had no energy. I was gaining weight no matter how much I tried to divert it with excersize and diet. Now that my Hormone levels are at a normal range, I have put on good muscle, lost bodyfat and have nice skin and hair. I even look more curvey. Im currently pre-contest dieting and having no trouble getting the fat off with proper diet and excersize and My bodytype is endomorph befor bodybuilding, so I know what your fears are. As for Anavar, I would also talk to someone with knowledge and experience, but it wont replace a solid nutrition plan
    Thank you for responding I appreciate you sharing your experience.