Page 1 of 335 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Official keto thread

I've received permission from the mods to make this thread a sticky. All questions or comments regarding keto diets are welcome. Myself, as well as a few others on this board, are well-versed on the subject matter, so fire away!

NOVICE

Lets get it started.

So why do you think refeeds are more beneficial then a single cheat meal (which a few on here I think believe in, or that Dave suggests) when on a keto diet?

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    So why do you think refeeds are more beneficial then a single cheat meal (which a few on here I think believe in, or that Dave suggests) when on a keto diet?

I think once you're very lean this is an option. However I also think it depends on your body and your level of activity. It should be experimented with. If you're getting fantastic results with one cheat meal, WHY do more? I believe in using the least amount of carbs to get the job done, and if it's getting done, adding more is not beneficial IMO.

This is best left to personal experimentation, being patient and noting the results in a methodical way. Start with one carb meal if you're lean. Add in a second and do that for 2-3 weeks. Are your results better? No? Then go back to one meal. Yes? Great, 2 meals is now what you should use. Perhaps then as you progress try 3 meals, note results over the next few weeks. Improvement? Yes? Keep it. No? Go back to 2 meals, etc. If you start slowing fat loss then you've gone too far and you should go back to what you were doing previously. This is your "sweet spot" for now.

I'm very much against going from one cheat meal and then BAM doing an entire cheat day. Too much of a jump. What if a half day is better? You don't know. There's no process involved here to really find out the best way.

There's no way to say "this is definitely the amount you should do and it works for everyone." So this type of experimenting is important in learning what works for your body.

For fat guys, I highly recommend against more than a single meal per week.
    Last edited by Frosty; 04-01-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think once you're very lean this is an option. However I also think it depends on your body and your level of activity. It should be experimented with. If you're getting fantastic results with one cheat meal, WHY do more? I believe in using the least amount of carbs to get the job done, and if it's getting done, adding more is not beneficial IMO.

This is best left to personal experimentation, being patient and noting the results in a methodical way. Start with one carb meal if you're lean. Add in a second and do that for 2-3 weeks. Are your results better? No? Then go back to one meal. Yes? Great, 2 meals is now what you should use. Perhaps then as you progress try 3 meals, note results over the next few weeks. Improvement? Yes? Keep it. No? Go back to 2 meals, etc. If you start slowing fat loss then you've gone too far and you should go back to what you were doing previously. This is your "sweet spot" for now.

I'm very much against going from one cheat meal and then BAM doing an entire cheat day. Too much of a jump. What if a half day is better? You don't know. There's no process involved here to really find out the best way.

There's no way to say "this is definitely the amount you should do and it works for everyone." So this type of experimenting is important in learning what works for your body.

Perfectly stated, bro. Glad to have you as part of the team

After some experimentation I have found what works best for me is a refeed segment of about 4.5 hours starting between 4-5 p.m. eating every 1.5 hrs.
    Sample...
    Meal 1: Bowl of white rice, baked lays with a few pieces of red licorice as a chaser.
    Meal 2: Plate of Pasta with marinara sauce, turkey meat balls and of course a licorice chaser!
    Meal 3: 2 lg. pancakes with syrup, handful of jelly beans.
    Meal 4: Rice or Pasta and a cookie and or brownie washed down with a whey protien shake.
    The next day I am bloated and up about 4.5 lbs. (scary) but within two days I am tight and seem to see a noticable improvement in bodymass.

After some experimentation I have found what works best for me is a refeed segment of about 4.5 hours starting between 4-5 p.m. eating every 1.5 hrs.
    Ponder the underlined words for a moment....

The next day I am bloated and up about 4.5 lbs. (scary) but within two days I am tight and seem to see a noticable improvement in bodymass.
    You're scared of 4.5lbs?? I gain 6-10lbs on a typical low carb day, lol. After refeeds I gain 20lb and I never trip out Just experiment more to find exactly what works for you. Only then can you learn to trust your body, and thus never be worried

What exactly does a refeed meal look like, I read on another post that it was digestable carbs before bed? HOW MUCH? my problem with cheat meals is my mind knows they are coming and I always indulge to ealry in the day, once I unleash the beast it is all over, I just want more until I go to bed a stuft pig, still had great weight loss but I would gain up to 10 lbs of water every Sunday.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    This would be my question actually because I am brand new to starting the keto diet.
    I am trying this diet to burn some extra fat and build some muscle too. I am looking to
    lose about 10 lbs doing this diet and have really been doing well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    This would be my question actually because I am brand new to starting the keto diet.
    I am trying this diet to burn some extra fat and build some muscle too. I am looking to
    lose about 10 lbs doing this diet and have really been doing well so far.
    everyone is different. reefed parameters depend on multiple factors including insulin sensitivity, level of leanness, metabolism, level of glycogen depletion, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    everyone is different. reefed parameters depend on multiple factors including insulin sensitivity, level of leanness, metabolism, level of glycogen depletion, etc.
    I seem to remember with the refeeds you would start with one refeed meal on the refeed day and add more meals as you got leaner and of course total overall carbohydrate consumption. Do you still advocate starting with one refeed meal and adding more as leanness increases or do you just start with a set amount of carbohydrate consumption for the entire refeed day and add more overall carbs as body fat% drops?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Lincoln View Post
    I seem to remember with the refeeds you would start with one refeed meal on the refeed day and add more meals as you got leaner and of course total overall carbohydrate consumption. Do you still advocate starting with one refeed meal and adding more as leanness increases or do you just start with a set amount of carbohydrate consumption for the entire refeed day and add more overall carbs as body fat% drops?
    I started with a prescribed number of meals back in my early days, then progressed to a "refeed window" (as per Skip Hill's recommendation) whereby I prescribed a set number of hours for this window in which one would eat all the carbohydrate-rich foods he could COMFORTABLY handle in that time frame. Note: this window assumes ample hydration levels as well- this is important in terms of both accurately gauging satiety (for example, if I drink one liter of fluids in my 12 hour refeed window, I'm obviously gonna be able to consume more carbs, whereas drinking a gallon of water would force me to take in fewer carbs) as well as facilitating more efficient digestion (stomach being able to empty faster=more carbs able to be consumed). So the refeed is all about balance and moderation, really. It takes years to get it down to a science.

I can chime in on the meal. I used the one meal Dave allowed as an excuse to pig out. It didn't affect me the first few weeks, but I gained 4 lbs the last two weeks, and did not cheat any other time other than the cheat meal.

Dave advised me to cut the cheat meal down to a reasonable size meal, and I was up zero pounds the next morning (this past weekend).

I agree, the least amount of carbs needed to stoke the fire, the better. Hopefully this will get me back on track of losing a lb or two a week!

RX MEMBER

what are some of the number thats people have lost in the first week or second week on the diet...or if you lost any.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla02 View Post
    what are some of the number thats people have lost in the first week or second week on the diet...or if you lost any.
    I lost 4 the first week, and only 1 the second week.

I hear of people losing lots more than that, but I was pretty happy with the results because I was not on low cal keto.

Page 1 of 335 1231151101 ... LastLast