Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does it bother you when...

Does it bother you when people will see your transformed body and they'll say "Keep it up!!" or "Don't Quit" ! !

Lately a lot of random people / gym acquaintances have been saying this to me, and I don't know why but I find it mildly insulting? Maybe I'm just being a sensitive sally....but its like 'yeh no shit dude'. . . and then 'was i super horrid before!?'

I dunno. . .. am I the only one that HATES when someone says that ?

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyLaurenPoole View Post
    Does it bother you when people will see your transformed body and they'll say "Keep it up!!" or "Don't Quit" ! !

Lately a lot of random people / gym acquaintances have been saying this to me, and I don't know why but I find it mildly insulting? Maybe I'm just being a sensitive sally....but its like 'yeh no shit dude'. . . and then 'was i super horrid before!?'

I dunno. . .. am I the only one that HATES when someone says that ?
    Maybe you're really feeling pressure on the inside when people are making positive comments. Most people are just being nice and making conversation. How about covering up for a while?

I belong to two gyms, one of which is small and people are constantly voices their observations about my physique to me (which is annoying, so I understand your feeling). At my other gym (very large chain), I don't know anyone and I'm not the most approachable person in the world, so I don't get comments, just stares.
    Last edited by musclemilf; 07-25-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Banned

typical chick stuff...

Its really just people being supportive so I wouldn't get to hung up on it. Its sort of annoying - I *really* hate being told what to do - as if these people are somehow the ones telling me what to do, but in the big picture its just a supportive statement.

I've got the most incredible hangup about what I looked like when I was in HS - that was nearly 30 yrs ago... and lately I've gotten linked up on FB w/ people from my graduating class who I haven't seen in 25 -27 years - and a few of them that I"ve known since kindergarten, were saying I was the biggest transormation of anyone in the class. Talk about complex - as in "I was THAT bad???" Holy shit. Thanks for bringing up that complex again. I ask you guys what you've been doing w/ your lives the 25 yrs and instead of a friendly conversation like they'd want to get to know me better.. all I get is that. Yea thanks, never mind, I"ll get back to my own life and forget you guys like I did before Facebook.

So .. yea... don't get too worried about it. I think the very simple response is "Hey, its a lifestyle "
    Last edited by sassy69; 07-25-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Yeh probably just my own insecurity. Sometimes I feel like even tho they are saying 'Don't Quit' I *feel* like they are saying 'don't go back to who you were before!'

HA HA, Its good to know that its just in my head and people are really just trying to be supportive! ha ha

Yeh probably just my own insecurity. Sometimes I feel like even tho they are saying 'Don't Quit' I *feel* like they are saying 'don't go back to who you were before!'

HA HA, Its good to know that its just in my head and people are really just trying to be supportive! ha ha

People are visual - so the first impression is usually what they respond to - so they see and acknowledge the transformation - so they know what you're doing and they're just saying "Way to go & keep at it!" . Its like - what else would come to your mind when you are at a marathon & the first guy comes running by? And then what do you say to your friend who is going after a goal of "completing a marathon"? "You're doing great! Keep at it!" So yea, that's about it. I don't know what else would come to their minds in the first 3 seconds they see you.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

HA HA HA True! I think one day I accidentally said it to some one...and then I was like GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH

I hate it as I have bad thyroid and each time I go offseason I gained also a lot of FAT on - and well I HATE when people are asking.... I tried to not gain a lot but did not find how to manage it...

another thing I also hate when I am dieting and "fans" are asking "Are you GROWING?" "Are you BIGGER?" - Hell, NO I am DIETING!! I am SHRINKING!! Why? Because I want to look better and I know I look milion time better than but I hate that they do not respect it

RESURRECTED! AnglicanBeachParty's Avatar

People will say all kinds of things, not intending any harm, just being clueless.

One of the most common things seems to be a misunderstanding about the kind of body/physique we are after.

Someone at work was inviting me to a section luncheon, and I was explaining that because of my diet, I was not currently eating restaurant food. I know the guy didn't know what bodybuilding is, so I just told him that "I'm trying to lose weight." I should have said "lose fat" not "lose weight". Anyhow, he proceeded to admonish me to consult with another colleague, because this other fellow had "lost weight". But the guy has no muscle at all. I realized that the guy I was talking to had no clue what direction I was (am) trying to take things.

Now, if anyone says anything remotely positive, I just say "thanks".

Yes - I always saw in most cases it is meant postive way, just sometimes it bother you - also because you hear it so many times (as people are still saying same things - and do not realize you heared it many times before )....

BTW with food and now imagine in my job I am prepairing bussiness meetings including banquette/food... and not only preping it, but have to be on the meeting and watch if all goes the right way... so once I was just one week precontest and had to be there, offer the food to guests, watch it - there was minipizza, potatoe pancakes, mini cakes with fruit and jello and I HAD to smile and offer this food and than sat in the corner with my dry boiled chicken LOL my job is grrrreat

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by AnglicanBeachParty View Post
    People will say all kinds of things, not intending any harm, just being clueless.

One of the most common things seems to be a misunderstanding about the kind of body/physique we are after.

Someone at work was inviting me to a section luncheon, and I was explaining that because of my diet, I was not currently eating restaurant food. I know the guy didn't know what bodybuilding is, so I just told him that "I'm trying to lose weight." I should have said "lose fat" not "lose weight". Anyhow, he proceeded to admonish me to consult with another colleague, because this other fellow had "lost weight". But the guy has no muscle at all. I realized that the guy I was talking to had no clue what direction I was (am) trying to take things.

Now, if anyone says anything remotely positive, I just say "thanks".
    Mainstream people don't understand this world. Trying to explain to most people is a futile effort. I don't waste my time anymore. At work, people know I have a food schedule, but that's about it. I don't "do lunches" or "after work drinks" with the team. Yeah, it comes off as a little antisocial, but I know if I don't hold myself to an extreme daily regime, I will look like jabba the hut in no time.

Yeh, I think for me its similar to you Bronwyn...I used to be super fat, so when people say that too me, its like I take it as 'don't go back to who you were' LOL.

HA HA HA True! I think one day I accidentally said it to some one...and then I was like GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH
    Exactly.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Yeh, I think for me its similar to you Bronwyn...I used to be super fat, so when people say that too me, its like I take it as 'don't go back to who you were' LOL.

LOL or worse, particularly w/ the ups & downs of 'on season' and 'off season' - the only pictures I really have of myself are 'on season' like at a show or right after a show. Then when people see me IRL, you can see the look on their faces like "WTF happened??" .. that I particularly hate cuz then you have to sit & explain the whole on / off season thing, and you know part of it is, yea, kinda let it go....

And then you follow it up really quick with "Yea but check me out in a couple months!" (I.e. distract them w/ a big workup for your next show / diet / target event so they forget about how you look now..)
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    typical chick stuff...
    Duh. That's why it's posted in Girl Talk.
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast