Default Right post-contest, your ideas please...

As far we always solved only precontest with my coach, each post-contest he told me to simply eat whatever I want and do not train for some time and ocassionally do cardio when my weight will be up too much.... and each precontest it ended up the way I lost a lot of muscles and yes my metabolism was re-stored but also I gained bunch of fat....

This year I have no coach now and want to try different approach - now I trained only light trainings and did eat whatever I wanted to, from tomorrow will start with low carbs again (50g/day) with one cheat day and relatively high protein and healthy fats. And want to keep it maybe two weeks and than up it to 70-90-110 etc carbs to see how it works and meanwhile I want to do only a few cardio and instead stick to heavy trainings again - to avoid the muscle loss.

What do you think? Any post contest recipes or ideas? How do YOU do it? And what would you reccomend to someone with slow metabolism?

And question Nr.2. I have it already in my training log and it really makes me mad: I gained quite lot (16lbs) but mostly ONLY belly - sometimes I look like bloated bodybuilders with GH gut - and it is solid. There is small layer of fat I may hold, but rest is like a baloon! Hard and not shaking. I dont know what it is - while having a water retention I usually have swollen ankles and knees but this last competition I was swollen only one day... and now my legs and ankles are even veiny.... so is it a water retention in GUT??

Morning my belly is only slightly bloated, but evening I look horrible and is hard to touch and sometimes I have a feeling that when I drink is worse.

I am still supplementing pottasium due to my mineral problems after competition. But it is 14 days after and I think all water retention should be gone So what to do now as is really annoying state? Do you think is water inside the belly? And some mild diu - as diu tea or low dosage of Aqualyze may help?

My best recommendation for a post-show 'dismount' is the following:
    - post show - that weekend - Sunday-Monday eat whatever you want
    - Tues- Fri/Sat - ease back into a maintenance diet - start at your competition diet where it was around 2 weeks out (when you're not doing the water manipulation) and then slowly add back in more carbs, etc.
    - At that point start in w/ your 1/week cheat and get your diet to where your maintenance is. Stay there for like a month and then decide what you're doing to do next if you need to start into a bulk schedule or whatever.

RE: don't train for a couple weeks - here I'd say listen to your body. Everyone always raves about the post-show anabolic rebound - so that's one reason to go back into the gym. The other reason -- I always found post -show to be so anti-climactic, I'd be completely lost w/o the strict diet & training and would literally get depressed. I think its important to give yourself the freedom to NOT go to the gym if you want a day off, but generally I found the lack of structure immediately after a show left me completely lost. Thus it is just easier to keep things very similar to pre-show - hit the gym, enjoy the lifting, maybe do a little cardio just for a cool down, etc. LIke the same training, but w/o the stress (if that's possible!).

RE: swollen stomach --- I'm just curious if you've changed anything in what you've been eating? I know during one of my really strict comp diets (not so much 'starvation' as just a very rigid variety of food) I actually became lactose-intolerant. I happened to order a Wendy's chicken salad that had some grated cheese on it and I blew up and was miserable for a couple days because I got a little cheese in one my forkfulls. So I'm wondering if you're experiencing a gluten intolerance or something along the lines of a food allergy.

Either way, i might also suggest you do 5 day cleanse diet to sort of help reset things from where you are at, and then start into the same sequence as I outlined above (which looks similar to what you outlined as well).

You might try some dandelion root to see if it helps if what you're experiencing is water retention. But like you mentioned - the post-show water retention I"ve experienced has always been in my ankles and not so much in the middle. I don't know how that affects your mineral balance, but dandelion root is pretty basic. Otherwise, try a short cleanse diet to get things cleared out, reset your body after a restricted, high protein diet.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

I eat what I want on Sunday
    Then mon go to a high carb refeed type day could be 2-4 days aftr jr nationals it was 4 days 1000 g carbs each
    then to off season plan
    Saturday cheat meals

I always train the week after a show those weeks right after are the best time to make progress, you use all the food you are eating and sweat. If I am going to take time off i wait til 5-6 weeks post contest

This time I am not sure exactly how mon will be approached I am doing way less cardio and eat 250g carbs daily so don't really need big refeed days

Cardio I have done 30-45 min 3-5 time s a week after the show but I was 2 hr during prep this prep only did an hour last week went to 45 min and now 30 so I may do no cardio that week

A hard belly is a warning sign to me at a medical level. you should see a doctor to be safe.

Last edited by Amazon Doll; 08-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks girls. I feel OK to go to the gym mentally as for me GYM was always the easiest part of it and I like it.... I always push myslef hard to DIET and to CARDIO - not a gym. I would like also to try the anabolic rebound as after Spring it looked good, I added 2 lbs of muscles during it... And I thought about keeping cardio 3x 30 min - what is aprox the same Susan says.... Thanks with this...

To swollen belly - well I do not think is SO serious as it do not hurt and well ... my other functions are in normal (sometimes we have to talk about the poop - lol - but there are some warring signs too as blood or others - I am OK with this now). But what says sassy sounds pretty logic - because YES - I LOVE PASTRY/BAKERY AND DIARY PRODUCTS - BUT I THROW THEM OUT EACH PRECONTEST! So may be both lactose or gluten intolerance - well maybe rather a gluten because in the past pastry sometimes sat in my stomach for longer time and I felt bloated when I ate it in my offdays!! and as during my past "eat-what-you-want" period I ate a lot of them.... so will have to throw them out again and be VERY CAREFULL with them....

Today I am back on my 50g diet with higher proteins and veggies so will see how long it will take to get rid of it.....

Thanks for ideas girls you haleped me to decided how to continue