Default I'm Masters now. What now?

So I'm finally hitting the big four zero this month and I have yet to get on stage. For the last few years I have been working towards that goal but "LIFE" always seems to get in they way. A torn ligament here, a rotator cuff there, a major illness with one of my kids, ect....yaddy yaddy yadda. I'm not using this as an excuse but rather trying to put some context around my current situation. I know EVERYONE one of you who compete have probably had just as much, if not more, challenges than I have. Life just happens, right? Needless to say I want to move from being the average bodybuilding gym rat to someone who competes. I've never been one to be just "average" so I want to challenge myself. Being a type A personality I would prefer to do a dry run of a contest prep between now and July and then identify which show I am going to target. That will give me the opportunity to see how my body responds and allow me to evaluate any major weaknesses. My mind tells me to take this approach but my gut tells me I will not fully commit unless I set a hard date right now. I would like to get some constructive feedback on my approach from those of you who have compete in the past. I'm not one who will be happy just getting up there either. I must be feel I can be competitive (obviously at a local show).

I'm 5'10" and usually between 215 and 225 @ 10 - 13% BF. I'm a little heavy now as I just went crazy eating big on a cruise. There is NO WAY I'll post a picture in my starting condition either! LOL

No matter what approach I decide on, my hope is to use this thread to provide periodic updates to solicit feedback. I'm hoping this can be something positive but I have to admit I'm apprehensive.

Massive, you know yourself better than anyone. If you feel that you need a target (contest) to successfully diet, then you've answered your own question. Find a good local or regional show that has a novice class and enter. The all around experience will do you good. Dieting, posing, standing on stage in front of people, posing routines....all of it is part of the experience that has to be taken in as a whole.

And welcome to a new life....usually with more time, money, and wisdom to build a physique with. You've got a couple of decades worth of training and improving and competing ahead of you.....

^^ What he said! Welcome to the next phase of life! I actually was qualified to compete as a Master when I did my first show. Bodybuilding is one of those unique sports where you don't have to be in your prime to get on stage and challenge yourself. Further, there's a beautiful thing called Muscle Maturity that the young'ins can't get no matter what they do! I've seen categories all the way up to 80 & over on stage so the only point that you can't compete is the one you set for yourself. Bodybuilding is all about blowing through boundaries so please continue. If you've never pushed yourself thru competition prep, I can guarantee you'll pass through things you never thought you could do and get a whole new appreciation for this amazingly perfect biochemical machine that is the human body!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Thank you both for responding. I have no reservations that I can compete successfully at this age. Honestly, I can't believe I'm 40 already. Where did the last 15 years go? LOL

Esplendido's really made me think that I need to stop thinking about "what" I'm going to do and just do it. Until his comment I viewed this as just dieting down but that's too myopic. So here is the plan. My prep starts today and it is not just diet. I'm going to go through the entire process including posing, creating a routine, tanning, etc... I will make the final decision on whether or not I'm going to do the show four weeks out.

Now I'm excited!
    Day 1 of 106

Massive, I think you're on the right track. Especially if you tend to be an all or none type person. My advice to add is with cardio, start at the low end and builld up time and or days a week as you go. Posing? I think you'll find any reluctance to do it diminishess as you get in better and better shape. Finally, don't underestimate how tough the Masters divisions can be. My first 4 years of competing, I did both Masters and either novice heavys or open superheavyweights. I won a trophy in the last division several months before winning one in the other two divisions. Its one of the toughest divisions at some shows, but I think its by far the most rewarding. Welcome to our world and Good Luck!

Awesome! It is so true - JUST DO IT! You can get philosophical about the details while you're doing your morning cardio!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Thank you both for responding. I have no reservations that I can compete successfully at this age. Honestly, I can't believe I'm 40 already. Where did the last 15 years go? LOL

Esplendido's really made me think that I need to stop thinking about "what" I'm going to do and just do it. Until his comment I viewed this as just dieting down but that's too myopic. So here is the plan. My prep starts today and it is not just diet. I'm going to go through the entire process including posing, creating a routine, tanning, etc... I will make the final decision on whether or not I'm going to do the show four weeks out.

Now I'm excited!
    Day 1 of 106

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDutyGuy View Post
    Massive, I think you're on the right track. Especially if you tend to be an all or none type person. My advice to add is with cardio, start at the low end and builld up time and or days a week as you go. Posing? I think you'll find any reluctance to do it diminishess as you get in better and better shape. Finally, don't underestimate how tough the Masters divisions can be. My first 4 years of competing, I did both Masters and either novice heavys or open superheavyweights. I won a trophy in the last division several months before winning one in the other two divisions. Its one of the toughest divisions at some shows, but I think its by far the most rewarding. Welcome to our world and Good Luck!
    Thanks for the advice and you hit the nail on the head when you said "all or nothing" as I do tend to take it to the extreme at times. It's probably my best and worst attribute. Also, let me assure you that I in no way underestimate the Masters class. I've seen several shows that I thought it was the most competitive class while others nobody really shows up. I didn't mean to come across that I thought it would be easier in the Masters. I do think that I must train with the mindset that I will be place in the Top 5. I'm not one of these guys who will say I just did a show for the experience. If I put everything I have into it and it turns out that a lot of great physiques show up I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Thanks for the advice and you hit the nail on the head when you said "all or nothing" as I do tend to take it to the extreme at times. It's probably my best and worst attribute. Also, let me assure you that I in no way underestimate the Masters class. I've seen several shows that I thought it was the most competitive class while others nobody really shows up. I didn't mean to come across that I thought it would be easier in the Masters. I do think that I must train with the mindset that I will be place in the Top 5. I'm not one of these guys who will say I just did a show for the experience. If I put everything I have into it and it turns out that a lot of great physiques show up I will be happy.
    Sounds on target. I think you will do well!