Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

Default Q & A with figure competitor Allison Moyer~!!!!

It is with utter excitment that I welcome Allison Moyer to the RX GIRL community. Alli is a national level figure competitor, prep coach, model, writer..the list is endless. The best thing, IMO, is her attitude and outlook into the sport and fitness lifestyle.

Ask your questions HERE!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Helluva boody too. Whoops meant body
    Yes I did inject my sack to win free shit.
    Unban Ritch 2012 Follow my shit if you think I'm cool
    http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...-Starting-Over

i also must add 100% respect here...

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    i also must add 100% respect here...
    LOL thank you Tammy!!! HAHA. Although that comment is PG compared to the crap I used to get!

THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME! I'm really honored to be back in the forums and am looking forward to this Q&A!!!!

Thanks for the compliment.

No disrespect intended. Anyway, what shows are you planning on this year??

^ not directed at you....just a just in case post!

^ not directed at you....just a just in case post!
    I know. Just because I'm a man doesn't automatically make me an asshole. Wait, that might be a contradictory statement..

Lmao!

I'm going to take it as it comes- I don't plan shows too far in advance. I won my class at North Americans last year, then was 3rd in my class at Nationals so I'd like to think a pro card is coming my way sooner rather then later. I will be doing the Arnold Am this year as my first show since there's a pro card on the table to the overall in figure. We'll see where it goes from there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allifit View Post
    I'm going to take it as it comes- I don't plan shows too far in advance. I won my class at North Americans last year, then was 3rd in my class at Nationals so I'd like to think a pro card is coming my way sooner rather then later. I will be doing the Arnold Am this year as my first show since there's a pro card on the table to the overall in figure. We'll see where it goes from there!!
    Sounds cool. Been waiting to see you get that card since I joined here. You've made amazing progress since 09. Good luck in the Arnold am

Quote Originally Posted by juiceinator3000 View Post
    Sounds cool. Been waiting to see you get that card since I joined here. You've made amazing progress since 09. Good luck in the Arnold am
    He pretty much summed it up! With your momentum I hope this is your year!
    James "JT" Tucci www.jamestucci.blogspot.com Proud to be a DH Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by James Tucci View Post
    He pretty much summed it up! With your momentum I hope this is your year!
    You and me BOTH James.......... seriously. I'm bringing my A game for sure!!!!!!

Thanks! I know its in the hands of the judges- but I've made EVERY change they've asked of me!!! I'm not going away until they hand me a pro card! HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by sarasamson View Post
    RxMuscle just lost credibility points with me. Competitors should take confidence in their bodies because of their hard work and determination. Those who have implants destroy that line of thinking. I think that pro cards should only be handed out to those who are good role models in the fitness world. By having fake anything, Ms. Moyer is not influencing the younger women in a positive manner.
    Well opinions are always valid I guess.. But to say that she is not influencing the younger women in a positive manner I have to disagree. Younger women are influenced moreso by all the bullshit on tv and school than Ms. Moyer, someone who has put in a lot of hard work and time to achieve what she has. So she has implants. So does half of the women on tv and probably half the fitness industry. And if pro cards were handed out to role models instead of people who EARNED them, there would be no men's BB pro cards handed out. Because everyone knows you have to take steroids to get a pro card (except MAYBE team u..)

Well opinions are always valid I guess.. But to say that she is not influencing the younger women in a positive manner I have to disagree. Younger women are influenced moreso by all the bullshit on tv and school than Ms. Moyer, someone who has put in a lot of hard work and time to achieve what she has. So she has implants. So does half of the women on tv and probably half the fitness industry. And if pro cards were handed out to role models instead of people who EARNED them, there would be no men's BB pro cards handed out. Because everyone knows you have to take steroids to get a pro card (except MAYBE team u..)
    Yeah hmmm. If implants make someone "not a role model' there goes half of the figure/fitness/bbing women out there. LOL. Thanks for the compliments- hard work day in day out. The only way to be.

well someone is on a perma-vaca....bu by~!

well someone is on a perma-vaca....bu by~!
    Tammy with the hammer. Leave it to the redheads We know how to lay some smack down LOL

IFBB PRO, Rx Girl Editor-in-Chief and Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

Let's get things rolling with some questions....

What suggestions can you make to girls getting started in the industry regarding self promotion and contest dieting?

If you could change one thing you have done in the past as far as your experiences in the industry.. what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy View Post
    Let's get things rolling with some questions....

What suggestions can you make to girls getting started in the industry regarding self promotion and contest dieting?
    Good question! I'd say that with regards to contest prep, if you're ENTIRELY new to the whole scene the best thing to do is ensure you don't "go it alone". By this I mean reach out for a prep coach, trainer, mentor, someone who can help guide and steer your prep from a nutrition & training standpoint. In many ways I think that "first prep" is by far the most important. It has the ability to make or break your opinion of the sport and ultimately will help you decide if this is something you want to go through again. I see far too many ladies suffer through horrible first preps, revolting rebounds, and forumulate negative opinions about the sport as a whole. That initial prep experience can either turn you ON to the sport, or turn you AWAY from it, so investing in some sound advice and guidance from a reputable coach or trainer is definitely something I recommend.

As far as self promotion- I'm a firm believer that you have to really be a go-getter in this arena. Figure, fitness, bikini ladies- we're a dime a dozen. Around every corner there's some up and coming hottie with a great six pack, so you have to find ways to assert yourself within the industry that make you stand out. Don't wait for oppurtunites to come to you, get out there and CREATE them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy View Post
    If you could change one thing you have done in the past as far as your experiences in the industry.. what would it be?
    Anyone who's followed my career knows full well I used to do more exotic work with regards to my modeling. I also used to webcam. I deeply regret both of those decisions. Not only did they negatively impact my marketability, but they also negatively affected my self esteem and the way in which I saw myself. As women in this sport we struggle enough to seperate being seen as sex objects and athletes, doing things like nude photography and webcam only further blurs the line, at least it did for me. I respect ALL women in the industry, and I think we need to bolster and support each other as much as possible, so I'm NOT trying to offend ANYONE when I say that webcam and erotic photography as my regrets. If you are a woman in the industry who happens to do that work, and it empowers and exhilerates you- then PROPS. For me personally, it was a very toxic environment.

what is a sample of a treadmill hiit cardio session of yours?

GYM RAT

Good Q Tammyp

A few yrs back a buddy of mine told me of her and freakin A I became a big fan!!!
    I will def follow this thread and stick to lurking till I get a good Q for you

U GO GIRL!!!

what is a sample of a treadmill hiit cardio session of yours?
    Awesome question Tammy!!! I do more interval work then HIIT, but I do incorporate both, as well as steady state cardio.

HIIT Treadmill Workout:
    (5 minute warmup, walk on 3.0 incline at 3.5 pace)
    2 minute pre-sprint Jog at 5.5-6.0, NO INCLINE
    15 second SPRINT (as fast as you possibly can)
    10 second rest (you can just hop off the treadmill belt, feet on either side)
    (REPEAT AS DESIRED)
    Then I take the ramp UP on the treadmill, maybe to a 3.0
    (REPEAT AS DESIRED)
    Then I take the ramp up once more, to a 5.0 or 6.0
    (REPEAT AS DESIRED)
    2 minute jog at 5.5-6.0, NO INCLINE
    5 minute cooldown- walk on 3.0 incline at 3.5 pace

thanks alli....i just started adding hiit in and i have been doing soemthing like this....
    2 min walk 4.4 MPH, run 3 mins 6.5-6.8 repeat for 35 mins.

thanks alli....i just started adding hiit in and i have been doing soemthing like this....
    2 min walk 4.4 MPH, run 3 mins 6.5-6.8 repeat for 35 mins.
    I think thats more characteritstic of interval training. Interval cardio gets confused with cardio often...The concept of interval training is basically exercise which consists of activity at high intensity for a period of time, followed by low intensity exercise for a period of time. These ‘sets’ are then repeated. It’s not HIIT, which I’ll explain, it’s simply alternating higher intensity with lower intensity.

HIIT, on the other hand, is all about speed-speed during workouts – usually they last less than 20 minutes and speed for results – a HIIT workout will lose up to 9 times more fat than a similar cardio workout. The first major difference between HIIT and interval training is in time, excluding warm ups and cool downs IIT sessions should last no longer than 20 minutes. This may seem like a very short space of time but believe me; if you do the workout correctly you will be exhausted by the end of it.

The goal of HIIT is to hold an anaerobic state for a long cumulative time (by anaerobic state I mean where the body is exercising at such a rate that the blood stream cannot supply oxygen to muscles fast enough. A product of your muscle exercising in an oxygen deprived environment is large amounts of lactic acid. Lactic acid begins building up inside the muscle at a rate faster than it can be cleared creating muscle failure. Anaerobic exercise refers to anaerobic muscle respiration and not respiration as a whole. The muscle still receives oxygen, just an insufficient supply to meet the demands of the activity.)

HIIT is designed with rest intervals to allow you to sprint harder for longer. Take this as an example, if you were to sprint for 100 meters, you would go full out for about 15 seconds (depending how fast you were). In an advanced HIIT workout you would probably spend about 7 to 8 minutes going full out in a 15 minute workout. If you are a beginner you should start with 4 to 6 minutes full out total workout time
    Last edited by Allifit; 01-20-2012 at 09:08 AM.

your right.....thanks for the clarification!

your right.....thanks for the clarification!
    NP- people tend to get the two confused all the time. Hell I know I used to. Interval training can be just as effective as HIIT depending on your physique goals.... but I like to use a combo of steady state/low intensity, HIIT, and interval training.

So like I said I've been watching your progress over the past couple years. What do you think has helped you achieve your current look most as opposed to a couple years ago? Love the current look

So like I said I've been watching your progress over the past couple years. What do you think has helped you achieve your current look most as opposed to a couple years ago? Love the current look

Thank you for the compliment! I'm very happy with my current physique as well, although there is ALWAYS room for improvement- it's what keeps me working hard! This is a REALLY loaded question though so I'm going to take my time answering it because I TRULY think A LOT of figure girls out there went through, or are going through something similar...

I qualified for Nationals in 2007. I won the NPC Moutnain Valley, both my class and the overall. The head judge told me NOT to do Nationals, that I was too small and didn't have enough muscle. This scared the pants off me. I was 23 and I apparently wasn't big enough to stand on a national stage. So I revamped my training and began packing on msucle. By the time I got to do a national show in 2008 I was "too big" for figure. I did my best to find a place within figure without losing my muscle, but I never ever placed well. For me, the real epiphany came in 2010, when I tanked (and I do mean TANKED) at Team U. I realized that if I was going to remain in figure I needed to seriously re-think the way I trained. I had always been a heavy lifter- your standard 3-4 sets, 6-10 reps, long rest periods, low intensity cardio etc. Against the instruction of people around me, I chose to enter North Americans in 2010 even though I had just placed horribly at Team U and only had 5 weeks to prepare. I literally beat myself to death in those 5 weeks. I did a complete 180 on my training. I infused plyometrics, high intensity circuits, HIIT, interval cardio, and stopped training my quads and arms which are body parts that tended to put on size easily for me. I was successful- I stepped on stage at North Americans in 2010 and placed 2nd after something like 16th at Team U.

I think that most girls who are in figure who "complain" about their placings needs to sit back and assess why they're in figure. The judging has its inconsistencies, because the sport is subjective by nature, but by in large if you look at the top figure athletes in the sport, there are common prevelances amongst them. If you look at those girls and then you look at yourself and you're a more muscular, bottom heavy girl- then figure probably isn't the sport for you. AND IF YOU ARE hell bent on staying in figure, as I was, then you need to re-evaluate how you train, which is what I did. I also stay within a few percentage points year round (bf% wise) of my stage bodyfat, and keep my weight within 5-7 lbs. The judges never placed me well because I didn't have the physique they wanted- the sport HAS A LOOK, if you want to compete in figure then you need to comply with that look or work to achieve it.

My typical split varies since I change my training up but in general I do 2 cardio sessions a day 20-40 minutes each depending. I mix it up between steady state/low intensity, interval training, and HIIT. I do mostly treadmill and stepmill. Occasionally I'll dog it on the elliptical. I train abs 3-4x per week. I have a heavy upper body day (chest/back/shoulders), a track & lower body plyometrics days (this is a ball buster I'm drenched when I'm done), a Chest/Shoulders high intensity high rep circuit, a back/rear delts high intensity/high rep circuit, and a hamstring/glute circuit with sprint intervals and plyometrics. I don't train quads, I don't train arms, I only hit those groups as secondaries. I don't do any squats, leg press, deadlift or other power movements as they add too much size to my lower half and figure is about being tiny and tight.

I think each athlete needs to find what combo of training works well for them- but I can say from experience that most women, if they want to streamline, downsize, and compete in figure then they need to STOP with the "basic old school" heavy lifting mentality and look to different forms of training to get in shape. I've been doing this for years though, and have the benefit of trial and error on my side. I've found what works for my body in terms of training and what doesn't, and I've learned what to do with myself nutritionally, both pre contest and when I'm not prepping for a show.

I'm 5'6"1/2 123-125 on stage now. I used to be 135-140 on stage.... so its a big difference.
    Last edited by Allifit; 01-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Excellent response. Thanks this will actually help me with some of my clients too. I don't train any men lol. Maybe they're just scurred

VERY helpful post, Alli. Thanks for the detailed response!

Excellent response. Thanks this will actually help me with some of my clients too. I don't train any men lol. Maybe they're just scurred
    Ah okay- mostly figure? Bbing? Bikini?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    VERY helpful post, Alli. Thanks for the detailed response!
    Thanks Sunny! Ask away if you have any questions!!!!!

IFBB Pro Jillian Reville JillyRev's Avatar

hey mama! just wanted to say hi! miss ya! xoxox!
    It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by JillyRev View Post
    hey mama! just wanted to say hi! miss ya! xoxox!
    HEY HOTNESS!!! MISS YOU! Arnold bound?

i know you train somewhat differently than the traditional split you see many competitors do....can you share your split and a sample of a training day for you? and how did you come to develop such a unique style of training?

Woohoo Alli!

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    Woohoo Alli!

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO hotness!!!!!!!! It's a red head sizzle up in here between you, me and Tammy! LOL

i know you train somewhat differently than the traditional split you see many competitors do....can you share your split and a sample of a training day for you? and how did you come to develop such a unique style of training?
    Tammy your questions seriously rock. You need to interview competitors or something- LOL. Seriously, your questions make me think I love it!!! I want to make sure I answer this well- when you say I train differently- how do you mean? Or just 'fess up my weekly split?

i try...LOL. i guess i mean alittle of both, you cant really answer wo touching base on both. of course not your entire regime, but a sample day, to get the idea.

i try...LOL. i guess i mean alittle of both, you cant really answer wo touching base on both. of course not your entire regime, but a sample day, to get the idea.
    Okay let me take this one step at a time......

To answer the question about how my training is unique- I wouldn't really say that any concept or protocol I use is "that" unique, it's just that I have realized what I need to do for my particular body, which is really the key in results for anyone- it's finding the methods and the combinations that work for you as an individual. There really is no "one" way to train or a right or wrong way to work out. Essentially, back in 2010 I sat back and took a long hard look at my physique. I accounted for the judges criticism and assessed what needed to be changed about my body. Obviously my training HAD to change- if you continue to train as you've always trained, you'll continue to look as you've always looked. Since the judges were rewarding a more feminine, streamlines, athletic figure physique I looked to training methods that incprorated more athletic components of training, especially with regards to my lower body. I pulled away from that traditional squats, leg presses, and deadlifts movements that I had been doing and began to look into other schools of thought with regards to lower body training.

I pulled bits and pieces from lots of protocols, and lots of routines. I use bodyweight movements, I use plyometric movements, I use P90x movements that are uniquely Tony Horton derived, and I use old school cardio strength training methodogy and even some tabata components. And of course, throughout my plyometric and athletic style training, I've come up with some of my own unique movements that I really have no name for- I just know they work! LOL.

A typical day of training for me REALLY depends on where I'm at in my training and if I'm prepping for a show or not. I essentially adjust my training as my body dictates. For example, if I feel my quads are stringing out during a diet, I'll throw in a few sets of leg extensions to pump some blood into the muscle and create fullness. If I feel my hamstrings are getting too small I'll increase my weight, drop my reps. I adjust as I need to to accomodate my body's response.

Typically- whether on or off season my split looks something like the following:
    1- Heavy Upper Body (a combination of back, chest, shoulders)
    2- Lower Body Plyometrics & Track Work
    3- Back and Rear Delts
    4- Chest and Shoulders
    5- Hamstrings & Glutes

I do not specifically target my biceps, triceps, or quads because I don't need to. I have enough muscle there and any training I do puts too much size on in those areas for figure. I train abs 3-5x per week depending. I do cardio twice a day, 5x a week whether on season on off (although the cardio type, intensity, and duration varies) and I have a t least one day a week where I just do double cardio and at least one day a week OFF. I also have incorporated yoga in the past as well.

These questions are so loaded for me- as a sport science major I know just how many stinking variables there are when it comes to training and it can be so hard for me to verbalize why I do what I do and how I do it- except that my training is both the product of my schooling and textbook knowledge coupled with personal experience in knowing what works and what doesn't for my body. Training has to constantly change as my body changes- and much of what I do is instinctive- I change my training per my body's response....... which I think is key. As the body changes, training and nutrition must change as well.
    Last edited by Allifit; 01-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.

GYM RAT

Great Info Alli I sure enjoy learning what you go thru.

I got a Q, not sure you can relate to this, you seem like you dont have trouble holding water, I however DO!!
    I have done the basic protocal for prep and days before the stage, I have taken a duretic. (Expel)

I shake my head, bc I just dont seem to go thru what others do, I pretty much stop the tinkle time almost immediately. Have you had troubles with dropping your water, or know of anyone?? Any secrets to it?? Im sweating my ass off at trying to ooze it out... crossing my fingers its going to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisLynn View Post
    Great Info Alli I sure enjoy learning what you go thru.

I got a Q, not sure you can relate to this, you seem like you dont have trouble holding water, I however DO!!
    I have done the basic protocal for prep and days before the stage, I have taken a duretic. (Expel)

I shake my head, bc I just dont seem to go thru what others do, I pretty much stop the tinkle time almost immediately. Have you had troubles with dropping your water, or know of anyone?? Any secrets to it?? Im sweating my ass off at trying to ooze it out... crossing my fingers its going to help!!
    Hey girl!
    I have a few questions-

Are you CURRENTLY trying to drop your water for a show? If so how long have you been trying to cut it? How much are you drinking? What are you drinking (spring, distilled, etc) and what about other beverages? What have you done with regards to your sodium?

Water depletion is tricky- the reason being that its a very fine line between coaing your body to drop water and then forcing it to the point where it's in hoard mode and no longer wants to let go of anything- which sounds like that's where you may be. Three MAJOR factors influence water retention- water consumption, carbohydrate consumption and sodium intake. As strange as it sounds depending on the interaction of those variables, the less you drink the more you may hold. Sodium holds 50x it's weight in water and glycogen (stored carb) which is stored in the muscles themselves can hold up to 3x its weight in water (hence looking smooth and bloated). So it REALLY will depend on what you're doing carb and sodium wise as well. 7 days out from a show I cut all carbohydrate, including veggies and I also cut all my sodium. I switch to distilled water to help my body flush and the only "aid" I take is dandelion root. I don't use diuretics, OTC or otherwise. I also never "stop" drinking, so I don't hard cut my water. I've found in the past that if I do one of two things happens; I string out and go flat, OR my body clings to it's remaining fluid retention with a vegenance....

GYM RAT

Thanks hun... Your just a cute lil badazz bowl of fit wisdom.

I actually am happy with where Im at and what is still to come... I am 4-5 weeks out, so Im not too concerned and Im not Q'ing my trainer, but I do have in that back of my head the worry that what has been done for flushing it out, might not work.. just was curious how you or anyone has approached this issue... kinda like hearing someone bloats BAD on brocolli and someone else doesnt.. but you find out that you too bloat on that stuff... does that make sense?? I wondered what else to consider.

I'm chugging 1 G/ day and I drink distilled, no added sodium is on my diet and Im low on carbs... YIPPIE...

Cutting water is just freakin tricky (make or break ya) and I just want to make it happen as it should... I know I have a sweet lil bod under all this H2O... lol... just wanna make it POP!!

Thanks for the help woman... prep can mess with our minds... again YIPPIE
    Last edited by KrisLynn; 01-31-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast