Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PENCILNECK

Default Beware of Biodentical Hormone Pellets

I am 45, was experiencing menopause sypmtoms after competing this year. Went to a biodentical doctor who put pellets of estrogen and testosterone into my hip, plus 200mg progesterone. And a thyroid med which is giving me more energy, however, I have gained over 8 pounds in three weeks. FAT gain. Around my middle and hips. My diet is super strict, I do cardio twice a day, HIIT too, weights 4 days a week.

My adivce? Screw this. I am going back and asking him to remove these damn things. I am freaking out. I am watching fat creep up on me and am helpless to know why. He says to be patient and things will even out. I call bullshit.

Anyway. Wish I would have left well enough alone, I am so upset as i work my ass off for results and easily maintain a pretty low bodyfat in the offseason.

Maybe the amts just weren't right. Did you wait long enogh after competiton for hormones to get to their natural levels so your blood work was correct?

You were JUST on var weren't you? You CANNOT do hormone replacement without accurate bloodwork!!!! according to your other threads your body was already messed up

I know someone who has estrogen and testosterone pellets and LOVES them. Feel better emotionally, physically, stronger, leaner

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    Maybe the amts just weren't right. Did you wait long enogh after competiton for hormones to get to their natural levels so your blood work was correct?

You were JUST on var weren't you? You CANNOT do hormone replacement without accurate bloodwork!!!! according to your other threads your body was already messed up

I know someone who has estrogen and testosterone pellets and LOVES them. Feel better emotionally, physically, stronger, leaner
    This - the numbers are probably off and you are on an incorrect dose there. 200mg of progesterone a week? Or was that implanted?

PENCILNECK

I didn't wait long enough I suppose. Contest in November, started hormones Jan 25th. I did have bloodwork done in December 28th. Low to bottom levels of everything. I rushed into hormone therapy because I was freaking out I might go into menopause early, getting night sweats, etc...

It's 200 progesterone every night before bed. I am not getting that much estrogen, it worked out to be around 0.500mg a day, over a period of three months, so it's not like it's the estrogen blowing me up. I did a cycle of Var, yes. Sigh. Okay. I just wish I would have kept using the creams instead of letting someone put pellets in my body. Creams are easier to stop and adjust.

I think alot of women DO get great relief and results from hormone therapy, maybe my body isn;t ready for this yet, I probably needed to chill out for 6 months and enjoy not having a period.

Low levels does not mean menopause FSH over 23 does and you have to test at right time of month since FSH rises right befor period (even ifyou dont' actually get it) my FSH was 23 but i am still getting period monthly It's actually best to do bloodwork 2-3 diff times during the month to get real readings of course this is very expensive. You may have gotten your periods if you had just left it all alone it takes some people 2-3 months after coming off var or other AAS to get them starting again

most doctors will over prescribe progesterone as any excess will convert to estrogen ... I am somewhat surprised that they went ahead and did implants without several blood tests and dosage adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by GlutesnBoots View Post
    I didn't wait long enough I suppose. Contest in November, started hormones Jan 25th. I did have bloodwork done in December 28th. Low to bottom levels of everything. I rushed into hormone therapy because I was freaking out I might go into menopause early, getting night sweats, etc...

It's 200 progesterone every night before bed. I am not getting that much estrogen, it worked out to be around 0.500mg a day, over a period of three months, so it's not like it's the estrogen blowing me up. I did a cycle of Var, yes. Sigh. Okay. I just wish I would have kept using the creams instead of letting someone put pellets in my body. Creams are easier to stop and adjust.

I think alot of women DO get great relief and results from hormone therapy, maybe my body isn;t ready for this yet, I probably needed to chill out for 6 months and enjoy not having a period.

the problem with creams is that they can get trapped in any fat tissue and the release into the bloodstream becomes erratic at best.. hormone therapy can be a great and wonderful thing when done properly

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by GKharma View Post
    most doctors will over prescribe progesterone as any excess will convert to estrogen ... I am somewhat surprised that they went ahead and did implants without several blood tests and dosage adjustments.
    This is not true. Progesterone OPPOSES estrogen. This is why women have monthly cycles to either shed the uterine lining (in the form of a monthly period) or support pregnancy.

As far as the OP's problem with implanted hormones, there are many delivery systems out there that maybe an option, i.e. transdermal. It's trial and error when "mucking" with HRT.
    Last edited by musclemilf; 02-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.

PENCILNECK

My suggestion is to have them remove the implants. Have them redo your bloodwork. Your doctor should do them several times at different times of the month to figure out what your "normal" is. It could just be wrong dosing.

becareful of these biodentical doctors....they will try to sell sell sell!

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Milkshake View Post
    becareful of these biodentical doctors....they will try to sell sell sell!
    I did all my bloodwork and discussed options with my regular gynocologist. They offer biodentical and synthetic. And no sell sell sell

Few more questions:

i think you said in another thread you were prescribed thyroid meds. if so are you still taking them? if you are not still taking them did you taper of or stop abruptly?

You were on the creams less than a month then went to pellets? you din't even give the creams time to get into your system fully

was more blood work done after cream before pellets to get readings

how do you know you are low if you haven't had periods since you don't know which time in the cycle you are (unless you are at teh low end of all teh diff ranges)

Quote Originally Posted by musclemilf View Post
    This is not true. Progesterone OPPOSES estrogen. This is why women have monthly cycles to either shed the uterine lining (in the form of a monthly period) or support pregnancy.
    I'm not really interested in an argument however, It is true that excess progesterone WILL convert into estrogen and this is how progesterone is meant to work. I did not mention anything about the function of estrogen/progesterone nor how the two oppose each other.

PENCILNECK

I redid bloodwork. So testosterone levels are good, but estrogen and progesterone are still low, as is my thyroid--STILL! I do wish I would have waited and let my body readjust after my show and not rushed into creams for a week, then these hormones pellets. I was freaking out because I was getting night sweats and was moody. Now, no night sweats, still moody. And doc says my blood oxygen levels are too high. I used to be anemic, now it seems I am the opposite. What the hell? It's like I don't know my own body anymore. It's all over the place but that is my fault. Its too late to remove pellets now as I got them in Jan. So they last about three months or so. Will think about next step after that. I am sort of lost at this point.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by GlutesnBoots View Post
    I am 45, was experiencing menopause sypmtoms after competing this year. Went to a biodentical doctor who put pellets of estrogen and testosterone into my hip, plus 200mg progesterone. And a thyroid med which is giving me more energy, however, I have gained over 8 pounds in three weeks. FAT gain. Around my middle and hips. My diet is super strict, I do cardio twice a day, HIIT too, weights 4 days a week.

My adivce? Screw this. I am going back and asking him to remove these damn things. I am freaking out. I am watching fat creep up on me and am helpless to know why. He says to be patient and things will even out. I call bullshit.

Anyway. Wish I would have left well enough alone, I am so upset as i work my ass off for results and easily maintain a pretty low bodyfat in the offseason.
    I had the same treatment without any weight gain problems. I don't think its supposed to cause that so if your doctor says that its normal it may be time to find a different hormone replacement doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast