Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with Dead Lifts

When I do them I feel like I am doing them right then if look at video seems I am stiff legging it. Not sure why. I blame my t-rex arms lmfao

Here is a video from last year

Also a year ago

Last night

Ay tips, constructive criticism, methods and exercises to deadlift better

I am doing it for bbing but want to do it correct and heavy

Drop ass more. Pull shoulder blades together as much as possible. Lift chest up a little higher. Don't go touch and go for a while. Reset your position at the bottom of each rep. Your first rep isn't too bad, it's the second one where you look for that bounce where you're turning it into more of a RDL. Without touch and go drop about 30 to 40 pounds off for a couple weeks, but really focus on making every rep like the first one. But even with that first rep I'd still say drop your ass more and lift your chest up a touch more.
    Yes I did inject my sack to win free shit.
    Unban Ritch 2012 Follow my shit if you think I'm cool
    http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...-Starting-Over

Your vid with 245 on 12/17 form is much better though when with touch and go. Ass is lower, chest is up more
    Yes I did inject my sack to win free shit.
    Unban Ritch 2012 Follow my shit if you think I'm cool
    http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...-Starting-Over

Thank you! will work on it next back day! Iwill be sur to have Cahse video them all so i can check form

Suzanne,I had this same problem when I used to powerlift.If just concentrating on keeping your butt down doesn`t work you might try doing just the bottom half of the deadlift up to your knees.Bill Starr had me doing these and I can`t remember the exact science behind it but you squat down and flex your lower back and then pull the bar but just to your knees and while still staying tight squat back down and do sets of five or so.You`re raiseing your butt too early because you`re either weak out of the bottom or maybe just not confident that you`re strong there.Anyway I`m hesitant to try and give advise to somebody as advanced as you but this exercise did work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Suzanne,I had this same problem when I used to powerlift.If just concentrating on keeping your butt down doesn`t work you might try doing just the bottom half of the deadlift up to your knees.Bill Starr had me doing these and I can`t remember the exact science behind it but you squat down and flex your lower back and then pull the bar but just to your knees and while still staying tight squat back down and do sets of five or so.You`re raiseing your butt too early because you`re either weak out of the bottom or maybe just not confident that you`re strong there.Anyway I`m hesitant to try and give advise to somebody as advanced as you but this exercise did work for me.
    I am sure you are correct i am weak out of the bottom since I can squat up to say 155 ATG but ten I can't get down if it gets heavier. I can Squat heavy to parallel or just below but not ATG feels like hips are just going to give out and i am going to crash to the ground so it's not like i even get down but then can't get the squat back up.

Doing just the bottom half could help

goodness you are strong!...also hesitant to critique...i kinda have the same issue out the bottom, but ive always neglected the hip machine...cant remember the name, but when i do add that in...my deads and squats get deeper

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    I am sure you are correct i am weak out of the bottom since I can squat up to say 155 ATG but ten I can't get down if it gets heavier. I can Squat heavy to parallel or just below but not ATG feels like hips are just going to give out and i am going to crash to the ground so it's not like i even get down but then can't get the squat back up.

Sometimes what feels like atg is really parallel and what feels like parallel is slightly short of it. Videos would help a lot. As would Box squats.
    Last edited by TheABomb; 02-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.

I do the same thing. I think you are doing pretty damn good. My wife thinks you should maybe try using 35's, the shorter weights helped her get her ass closer to the ground. It helped with her development.

RX MEMBER

Actually, your form isn't that bad. CHest up a little more. Just a little advice...just do singles for your work sets. That way, you only have to have good form on one rep. You also have less risk of injury. If I could go back in time, I would DEFINITELY only do singles for my top sets. Every rep after 1 concerning strength is a waste, according to many top PL'ers. You are very strong. Good luck.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by scottt View Post
    I do the same thing. I think you are doing pretty damn good. My wife thinks you should maybe try using 35's, the shorter weights helped her get her ass closer to the ground. It helped with her development.

That's bad advice imo. The whole "you need to get your ass close to the ground" thing is a bodybuilding bro-myth that needs to die. EVERYONE is anatomically different and there is no 1 starting position for everyone. A person with longer limbs is going to naturally start the deadlift w/ higher hips. If he artificially sets the hips too low, they'll rise way too fast during the lift and as result, strength will suffer big time. Ask any real deal strength training guru - Wendler, Dave Tate, Louie, they'll ALL tell you this.*

Quote Originally Posted by TheABomb View Post
    Sometimes what feels like atg is really parallel and what feels like parallel is slightly short of it. Videos would help a lot. As would Box squats.
    Squats start at 2:50 I would say ATG

Squats start at 5:00 I would saw just about to parallel

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post

It's amazing how much more difficult the lift becomes when you add a few inches to the depth. The reason your hips are giving out is because you're doing a PL style squat - which wasn't meant to be done ATG. The real reason people started doing ATG squats was to prevent them from getting stuck at the bottom of a clean in olympic style weightlifting. This was long before bodybuilding was really a well known sport. Later on as the squat became a contested lift, the "low bar powerlifting squat" was developed as the most efficient way to put up a ton of weight if you only have to go to parallel. But for atg, it doesn't work.

Consider trying to squat more like Tom Platz when you do go atg.

http://www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/...atz/platz2.jpg

Notice that his back is pretty straight and his knees come forward. This makes it a lot easier to get to that full depth and keeps the tension on your quads/glutes as opposed to your low back and hips. Unlike the PL squat, you just sit down instead of sitting back. For more entertainment, here's a female friend repping out 10 at 320 using this type of squat:

Quote Originally Posted by TheABomb View Post
    It's amazing how much more difficult the lift becomes when you add a few inches to the depth. The reason your hips are giving out is because you're doing a PL style squat - which wasn't meant to be done ATG. The real reason people started doing ATG squats was to prevent them from getting stuck at the bottom of a clean in olympic style weightlifting. This was long before bodybuilding was really a well known sport. Later on as the squat became a contested lift, the "low bar powerlifting squat" was developed as the most efficient way to put up a ton of weight if you only have to go to parallel. But for atg, it doesn't work.

Consider trying to squat more like Tom Platz when you do go atg.

http://www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/...atz/platz2.jpg

Notice that his back is pretty straight and his knees come forward. This makes it a lot easier to get to that full depth and keeps the tension on your quads/glutes as opposed to your low back and hips. Unlike the PL squat, you just sit down instead of sitting back. For more entertainment, here's a female friend repping out 10 at 320 using this type of squat:

Thanks I have definitly noticed trying to sit back I felt so much in my lower back and was thinking i feel way more leg work doubling the wt and going to parallel. Will paly with squat next work out I have 5 sets of 10 on Saturday

I think it looks good, but the bar may be a bit too far in front of you when you start the upward movement. Power comes from your hips and you want the bar to follow-up as close to your body as possible...which is why many of us 'deadlifters' scrap the shit out of our shins on the way up. Before you begin the upward decent, fill your chest up with air (to ensure your back is flat as well), shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar, the bar touching your shins, start with the balls of your feet (using the quads to take the bend out of the bar) and then exploding your heels throught the floor- pull away from the earth and slam those hips forward as you straighten up!

I'm not a pro - but the deadlift is my best lift so far, continues to grow while I have to fight plateaus with every other lift! And the above is what I have gathered as some of the best advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast