Default early morning fasted or post workout cardio?

which is best? I know this has been talked about many times but just like to refresh some opinions on this,i read recently that evan centopani does cardio half hour after eating a meal,cause he said something about cortisol and fasted cardio? OPINIONS PLEASE.

You wont get a straight answer to be honest. Aceto and Dave both like fasted cardio I believe. Layne Norton did a study and said it doesnt make a difference and eating may actually help.

Some people like a small amount of protein 1st. Id just advise you to experiment and see what works for you. Ive trained and done cardio fasted in the morning and made gains. Now Im having shakes before the gym because I dont like eating food early, no appetite.

Its probably easier to do cardio post workout, thats what I do...I dont have to sweat up 2 pairs of clothing a day either...the fat comes off just as well from my experience as long as Im doing cardio. I went from portly to drop dead gorgeous Yes Im male lol
    Last edited by Diggy; 03-02-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    You wont get a straight answer to be honest. Aceto and Dave both like fasted cardio I believe. Layne Norton did a study and said it doesnt make a difference and eating may actually help.

Some people like a small amount of protein 1st. Id just advise you to experiment and see what works for you. Ive trained and done cardio fasted in the morning and made gains. Now Im having shakes before the gym because I dont like eating food early, no appetite.

Its probably easier to do cardio post workout, thats what I do...I dont have to sweat up 2 pairs of clothing a day either...the fat comes off just as well from my experience as long as Im doing cardio. I went from portly to drop dead gorgeous Yes Im male lol
    nice reply mate, i been doing fasted for my show at the moment and im dropping weight every week but just wanted to see was their other people who didnt do fasted cardio and got great results

If there is no consensus after this time it can't be that crucial.

Banned

I like diggy's response. Especially about having to sweat up 2 pairs of clothes. Also if you don't have any cardio equipment, then you have to travel to the gym, and get back which adds up by the end of the day, is it realistic to do that week in week out?

Quote Originally Posted by D_T View Post
    I think this is true.While one may be optimal and one a few percent less the key is
    to just do the cardio.I have seen people miss their morning cardio for one reason or another and then refuse to do it in the afternoon because they believe it has to be done in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kindom-muscle View Post
    which is best? I know this has been talked about many times but just like to refresh some opinions on this,i read recently that evan centopani does cardio half hour after eating a meal,cause he said something about cortisol and fasted cardio? OPINIONS PLEASE.
    And I also heard that Evan Centopani sticks a syringe up his ass before eating his first meal. Seriously Evan is on the sauce, your not, so his shit doesn't apply to you.

morning fasted cardio always made me feel more weaker and tired through out the day.

not exactly sure...maybe im gay and i just dont know yet.

i prefer this now since last month: 1/2-1 bottle of odwalla farms juice puree. then 30-45 minutes later i hit the local park and run 1-2 miles non stop....yes run....i even throw in fast burst of sprints and run laterally. 3 to 4 times a week.

currently 5'11 and 245 lbs with 20-22 % body fat Endomorpher (thank you taco bell!)

As I get leaner. I plan to up the carb intake.

I just miss running guys.... i feel like an indian ravaging through the woods looking for a white she-devil to fuck...WHERE IS SHE!!!!

keep your cunning warrior spirits up and blast that fat off like a nut!!!
    Last edited by Friendly Milkshake; 03-02-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Reason for Ediiting:

RX RSS CHAMPION EggSuckingLeech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D_T View Post
    Totally agree. Do cardio when it's most convenient for you imho.

Fasted is nice just because your glycogen depleted and blood sugar/insulin is low right out the gate, so body fat is the next source of fuel in line to be used during cardio. I have done cardio after meals (though I would experiment after hearing from Evan C.) and noticed I did sweat more than fasted cardio and my heart rate would go way higher. I would rather do both cardio and weight training in separate sessions to give my body several "jolts" around the day than doing it all together back to back in 1 giant session.., really jacks up your metabolism getting a kick every 6-12 hrs, also more time for recovery in between. Get your cardio in when you can, its still benficial to do it post-workout or after carbs in your system, but the ideal situation would be in the morning or before bed low insulin levels and separate from your weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by jkanevskiy View Post
    Fasted is nice just because your glycogen depleted and blood sugar/insulin is low right out the gate, so body fat is the next source of fuel in line to be used during cardio. I have done cardio after meals (though I would experiment after hearing from Evan C.) and noticed I did sweat more than fasted cardio and my heart rate would go way higher. I would rather do both cardio and weight training in separate sessions to give my body several "jolts" around the day than doing it all together back to back in 1 giant session.., really jacks up your metabolism getting a kick every 6-12 hrs, also more time for recovery in between. Get your cardio in when you can, its still benficial to do it post-workout or after carbs in your system, but the ideal situation would be in the morning or before bed low insulin levels and separate from your weight training.

I've done both with no reall differences other than the fact that I am hungry all day when I do fasted cardio first thing in the morning. Due to schedule, I now do fasted on the weekends and post work cardio during the week and I am getting leaner than ever before.

The only things that matter are consistency and not being a weak little bitch that cheats on their diet.

Everything else is picking pepper out of gnat shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-H_2005 View Post
    The only things that matter are consistency and not being a weak little bitch that cheats on their diet.

great anaolgy.

I find fasted cardio a great way to start the day mentally, but results wise i dont think the timing would create a huge difference.

I think I will write that over my bathroom mirror
    Thanks HHH

Consistency is the most important thing. As far as "fasted", you're "fasted" in the AM because your body has already metabolized most of the food from your last meal, and equivalently, you're "fasted" if you ate, then trained (i.e. used all your readily available energy sources), and then do cardio. Kinda the same diff.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

RX MEMBER

I think it also depends on the intensity of the Cardio ( for me anyway). When I am doing lower intensity Cardio , I feel fasted is preferable when I am doing high intensity Cardio I like to have a meal in me.

I love and prefer fasted cardio in the AM, but I don't think it makes a difference as far as results. Its just more convenient and I prefer doing it fasted

Remember if your getting ready to compete and not just look good at the pool POSE POSE POSE!!!! Something many ppl forget and then look like new born retarded giraffes on stage! If your within 2 months of a show you should pose after your cardio AND weights to get used to squeezing everything even when your depleted.

At 2 months out from a show I do 20 min cardio (walking on treadmill) then pose for 10-15 min, going over quarter turn and mandatory's over and over and over. If your hitting your poses hard and holding them you'll be sweating your ass off and wont need as much cardio and still get harder every day!

I prefer to do the cardio/pose in the AM but I dont think it matters when you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    I like diggy's response. Especially about having to sweat up 2 pairs of clothes. Also if you don't have any cardio equipment, then you have to travel to the gym, and get back which adds up by the end of the day, is it realistic to do that week in week out?
    5x a wk two a days. I need to buy a treadmill already.
    Diet coach: Kevin McDowell / Extreme One
    Training: INOV8 Elite Performance
    Journal: Hoss06 Training Journal

PENCILNECK

You know, they make these things called streets. Alot like a treadmill, and you generally don't have to travel far from your home to utilize this fascinating piece of equipment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh! I heard about those! Comprised of sidewalks, landscaping and structures correct?

PENCILNECK

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss06 View Post
    Oh! I heard about those! Comprised of sidewalks, landscaping and structures correct?
    Yes, you've seen them too? And here I am thinking I'm letting people in on a big secret.

Am fasted

Quote Originally Posted by squatilupuke View Post
    Yes, you've seen them too? And here I am thinking I'm letting people in on a big secret.

Lol!

Diggy's response was really well i like that.

I would say my best success is right after a workout session. Most people will say you shouldn't do a fasted session, should have at least 25g/protein 30min prior to early morning workouts. I personally believe that being carb depleted doing cardio that post workout is the best time.
    m4bteam@katzmail.net
    ​​

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post

Some people like a small amount of protein 1st. Id just advise you to experiment and see what works for you. Ive trained and done cardio fasted in the morning and made gains.
    Well said.

Layne on the subject:

" new article on fasted cardio appearing in the Strength and Conditioning Journal by Brad Schoenfeld, MSc, CSCS

I put the full text below for those who are interested. For those that are lazy to read the whole thing here are the cliffs:

-research has shown no difference in total fat loss between subjects doing fasted cardio and those doing cardio after eating.

-fat burning consists of 1) liberating fatty acids from adipose tissue through lipolysis and then transport of those fatty acids to other tissues like muscle, liver, heart where they are then 2) oxidized for energy. When you eat before cardio you reduce lipolysis but it ends up not making a difference because lipolysis is NOT the rate limiting step of fat loss when it comes to cardio, it is oxidation that is rate limiting so you end up oxidizing the same amount

-you may burn MORE fat over a 24 hour period when you eat beforehand because there is a GREATER thermogenic response to cardio as opposed to eating fasted

-Lemon et al. demonstrated nitrogen losses were DOUBLED when you train fasted. Fantastic for maintaining muscle in a caloric deficit... NOT

-not eating before cardio will reduce training intensity and means you will burn less calories during cardio because you won't have as much energy.
    "

Link:
    http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topi...fasted-cardio/

Alan on the subject:

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-th...ed-cardio.html
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-th...ed-cardio.html
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-th...rthoughts.html

Summing Up the Research Findings

• In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
    • Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
    • In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
    • In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat.

• At low intensities (25-50% VO2 max), carbs during exercise reduce fat oxidation compared to fasted trainees.
    • At moderate intensities (63-68% VO2 max) carbs during exercise may reduce fat oxidation in untrained subjects, but do not reduce fat oxidation in trained subjects for at least the first 80-120 minutes of exercise.
    • Carbohydrate during exercise spares liver glycogen, which is among the most critical factors for anticatabolism during hypocaloric & other conditions of metabolic stress. This protective hepatic effect is absent in fasted cardio.
    • At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects.

I see the bottom line like this.. Do the type you have a personal preference for, and also respect your physical limits. HIIT is quicker but riskier. LISS is safer but takes twice as long to accomplish the same thing. Again, do what you prefer & can tolerate, but do NOT make the mistake of assuming that LISS burns more fat. That's misunderstanding the physiology of the matter.

I’ll end off by challenging you to diligently review the facts before blindly latching onto the myths.

Personal preference, but research does show that is does not really hold benefit.
    Cellucor Representative
    Team Scooby Prep (Contest Prep Coach Jason Theobald)
    2013 RX Member Of The Year

RX MEMBER

Does cardio after an intense lift inhibit muscle gains? Does drawing blood away from the damaged muscles hurt your progress in any way? Just something ive thought about during my post workout cardio as i am not an early riser and feel weak and shitty after fasted cardio..
    Also what do most prefer...protein shake directly after lift prior to cardio or after cardio is complete..?