Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

5 Weeks left and feel like i'm losing my mind! I went on a binge the other day...and now feel ridiculous! I feel like i have no self control and want to eat everything in site. Its only when i'm at work tho! Ahhhhhhh

Can I just say that I'm not competing until June 2010. But I have a hard time following my diet right now only because I am eating a lot! And I have a mental block with eating more, since I have a history of continue dieting. Uggg

I am back after an off season gain/bulk cycle. It was hard on me mentally to take the fat with the muscle. By the end the only thing that fit me in my closet was my birthday suit! 2 weeks into my diet and I'm seeing lots of changes already. This is a great thread, and I'll be here with the rest of you dieting through the winter.

This is a fantastic thread. I never actually thought anyone else binged on their diets... In the UK no-one talks about it, except me, then I feel sooooo stoopid as I feel like I'm the only one!

I've just taken a year out (for sanity and to grow) and I keep wondering whether I can still do the whole dieting thing next year - I think taking the year out has given me a chance to reset my mind.

I'll certainly be checking in with you guys in March when I start dieting!

hi, im miserable and need some company. my name is mattie, and this is my first competition. i began my prep 2 weeks ago, and its going well, except that i havent lost any weight in 6 days, and im starting to freak out.

the contest is in 11 weeks...i have about 15 lbs to go. i literally dont know what else i can do, im working my balls off and am a nazi about my diet.

anyway, hi!

Are you looking better in the mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by mattie o View Post
    hi, im miserable and need some company. my name is mattie, and this is my first competition. i began my prep 2 weeks ago, and its going well, except that i havent lost any weight in 6 days, and im starting to freak out.

the contest is in 11 weeks...i have about 15 lbs to go. i literally dont know what else i can do, im working my balls off and am a nazi about my diet.

anyway, hi!
    Throw your scale out the window, be consistent with and trust in your diet & training, monitor how you feel / sleep / recover (i.e. make sure you're getting enough good quality sleep and arent' always stressed because you're too far out in your prep to have issues now as it will only get worse as you approach your show date). One of the biggest challenges of contest prep is maintaining an even keel throughout the prep - its hard to not have ups & downs in your day and get freaked out about your progress because you can't know for sure how it will all come together on show day. The best you can do is keep your eye on the goal, have faith in your prep, dont' let yourself second guess what you are doing. Measure your progress by how you look, how your clothes fit and if you do it regularly , the general trend in bodyfat measurements (not the absolute measuremetns - e.g. you measured 15% today and you think you should be 12% by now -- it matters more that you are showing a consistent trend downward in bodyfat vs the day to day measures). And throw your scale out the window.

The worst thing you can do is mindfuck yourself because you don't see teh scale moving at some assumed linear rate. Your body composition and the general trend towards lower bodyfat and higher muscle mass are your only goals. Weight tends to drop in chunks instead of linearly. Further, you will be dropping a certain amount of weight in just water as you get into your final weeks. Unless you're tryign to make a weight class, "weight" is sorta not really the most important way to judge progress or to set your goals. And even in your first show, if you don't make the weight you want, it doesn't matter. The goal is to bring the best package you can in the time you have, and present it int he best way possible.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

anyway, hi!

Just dropped by to say I LOVE your avatar. I think all the women here should have an Avi like that. I guess I'm a hamstring fan huh.

Oh yeah and good luck with your prep. Sassy is right.

wow, thanks everyone! i do feel a bit better...

kbigz81: not really, i dont think i think the 4 lbs ive lost in 2 weeks was just water.

sassy: thats just what i needed to hear! your right, all i can do is just keep on keeping on, and if something doesnt work, well theres only one way to find out: trial and error, especially since this is my first show. no use stressing out and getting anxious. itll just make me (and my poor husband) miserable. i did order a caliper so i can start measuring body fat %.

sledge: thanks! those are my pride and joy that was several months ago too, hmm, i wonder what theyre looking like now..??

thanks again everyone!

wow, thanks everyone! i do feel a bit better...

kbigz81: not really, i dont think i think the 4 lbs ive lost in 2 weeks was just water.

sassy: thats just what i needed to hear! your right, all i can do is just keep on keeping on, and if something doesnt work, well theres only one way to find out: trial and error, especially since this is my first show. no use stressing out and getting anxious. itll just make me (and my poor husband) miserable. i did order a caliper so i can start measuring body fat %.

sledge: thanks! those are my pride and joy that was several months ago too, hmm, i wonder what theyre looking like now..??

thanks again everyone!
    If ya got da hammies, flaunt 'em!

Competition prep is all about, and ONLY about how you look when you are scheduled to go on stage on the day of your target show. No other day matters. It doesn't matter if you feel fat or think you're looking squishy any day before then. Its important to just keep looking forward and not get hung up on where you're coming from. Mind you, this is not an easy thing to do in itself - something I can tell you about your first show, is that you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought you knew, and how you deal w/ the stresses that come w/ this process. My "behavior management" was an education. For ex, I did my first show at age 35 and was a miserable wreck for most of my prep because I was so obsessed with it. I'm normally a fairly quiet "nice girl from the midwest". On the "low carb day" of my second week of my carb rotation (whole new experience ...!) and I was sitting in a meeting w/ my boss. In this meeting she was getting really nitpicky about the price we were going to set on one of my products (I'm a tech product mgr), and the meeting was starting to run into the 3 hr point since my last meal. I was carb crashing and I went off on her. Just unloaded, out of no where. She had no idea what hit her. I found out months later from a co-worker, that she had commented that that is the only time she's ever seen me get worked up and she still had never figured out why I went ballistic. .. And that is the terrifying power of a "low carb day". Be afraid! Be very afraid! I've since learned how to manage the effects of the extremes of the diet & training so that it doesn't make other people miserable when I decide to compete. But the beauty is that once you get thru all of these first time experiences, you realize that you can survive it and you can then spend your time evaluating your progress and finetuning your plan.

Something else I try to occupy myself with when I do start feeling stress about my progress, is to practice posing. It gives you something else to focus on besides your fears & insecurities. Videotape yourself, watch other competitors on youtube, etc.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

mattie,
    my last show, i started diet at 12 weeks out, didnt lose a lb til 8 weeks out. and was ready 2 weeks early. trust it, and itll happen. do you have a coach or are you doing it on your own?
    APS HI TECH PHARMACEUTICALS ATHLETE
    Hersuppz.com code TAMMY
    www.team-tammyfitness.com
    pushpullgrind.com code TEAM TAMMY

Hey Mattie!
    Don't freak out, have you got someone who trusts you to take a look at you?
    Sometimes the scales don't move, it happens. The more stressed you get, the less likely you'll be to lose...

I'm having a hard time, am off-season atm but have cleaned things RIGHT up. Yesterday I had a scheduled cheat (first in 9 days), went out for Turkish with a bunch of peeps I didn't know so well... They got Meze so I joined them, but it wasn't a real full-on cheat because of this. I should feel pleased with myself, but instead I feel really cheated that I didn't do it how I wanted to, now I'm contemplating another cheat...

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    mattie,
    my last show, i started diet at 12 weeks out, didnt lose a lb til 8 weeks out. and was ready 2 weeks early. trust it, and itll happen. do you have a coach or are you doing it on your own?
    hey tammy! i dont have a coach per se...my husband has done a competition before, so he sorta helping me along

yesterday i went to a competition workshop, but it was more geared towards figure fitness and bikini...i definately want to do bodybuilding! how do i know which suit i can wear? i understant the ones for bbing are different from the figure/bikini ones?? i did learn some good info about the show, tanning, etc...and i won a free entry into the Oregon State NPC show in July! i guess im doin 2 shows! he he

had my first refeed, split it between last night and this morning. i sure slept good!

all in all, feeling less stressed out, thanks again everyone for you kind words. and your right, flick, the more stress, the less fat lost! (cortisol, hello!!!)

AVBG

Trust what you're doing mattie.. If your system/protocol is sound and your application is consistent.. The FAT will come off.

Sassy is 100% with her advice!

hey tammy! i dont have a coach per se...my husband has done a competition before, so he sorta helping me along

yesterday i went to a competition workshop, but it was more geared towards figure fitness and bikini...i definately want to do bodybuilding! how do i know which suit i can wear? i understant the ones for bbing are different from the figure/bikini ones?? i did learn some good info about the show, tanning, etc...and i won a free entry into the Oregon State NPC show in July! i guess im doin 2 shows! he he

had my first refeed, split it between last night and this morning. i sure slept good!

all in all, feeling less stressed out, thanks again everyone for you kind words. and your right, flick, the more stress, the less fat lost! (cortisol, hello!!!)
    For BB you need:

1) Pre-Judge:
    Plain suit - no decoration. Additionally, no jewelry, etc except basics like a wedding ring. Anecdotally, darker colors are more common. This also helps if you get tanning stuff on them - doesn't show as much.
    (it should probably outline this in the requirements / application form from your show's promoter)

2) Night show:
    This can be fancier - here's where you could conceivably wear the same type suit as a figure competitor. Doesn't hav to be as decorated up, or could even be the same suit as you wear in the morning. Depends on how much you want to spend on suits.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast