Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sorry, I just looked at what I wrote...typo. I meant there are two types: subfascially and submuscularly. Submuscularly being the best.

I hope your not getting Subfascially.....seems that you are..you mentioned Fascia! Did you mean you were getting submuscular? I think there is a some confusion in what we wrote Explain.

Where Calf Implants Are Inserted
    Once a need for calf implants is determined, they are placed either; 1) subfascially, or; 2) submuscularly—underneath the aponeurosis (subaponeurotically)—flat fibrous sheets of connective tissue that typically attach the muscles that make up the calf—gastrocnemius and soleus muscles—to the bone. More commonly, calf implants are placed subfascially (just below the fascial plane), but many of the best results are obtained by placing the implant in the submuscular plane—deeply within the muscle.
    1. Subfascial placement of the calf implant is generally performed more often because the procedure is less dissection-intensive, less difficult, and results in generally faster recovery times with patients reporting less pain. However, subfascial implant placement can sometimes result in calf implant movement (drift or rotation), and/or result in the patient being able to feel the perimeter edges of the implant afterwards, because they are usually harder than the nearby muscle and not enough tissue covers the implant itself. As well, sometimes the desired effect isn't aesthetically as pleasing as the submuscular method because the implant itself tends to define the final shape of the calf region, rather than the muscle tissue. This is true with either silicone-gel or solid silicone calf implants. Subfascial implantation also requires more attention to the placement of the implant, which can become difficult when trying to reach the most distal region (distant from the center) of the crural pocket where the implant is placed.
    2. Submuscular (subaponeurotically) placement is considered a more difficult procedure and requires more surgical skill as the operation delves deeply into tissues. Generally, however, the results are better because the implant is placed more securely and accurately within the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (within deeper fascia tissues), allowing for more aesthetic placement of the implant. Also, it’s been observed that submuscular implantation can result in a more natural calf shape and feel because the actual muscles of the calf cover the implant completely. However, this method of calf augmentation generally requires a few more days of patient recovery time and more discomfort until the deep tissue trauma begins to heal. Another benefit of submuscular placement is that since this procedure is more involved it also allows for greater control of potential surgical hazards including vascular or nerve damage—incisions are made far away from the junction of the gastrocnemius muscles.

Heres the rest of the link and dr info: http://www.calfimplants.com/calf-implants.html

Quote Originally Posted by Manbeef View Post
    Sorry, I just looked at what I wrote...typo. I meant there are two types: subfascially and submuscularly. Submuscularly being the best.

I hope your not getting Subfascially.....seems that you are..you mentioned Fascia! Did you mean you were getting submuscular? I think there is a some confusion in what we wrote Explain.

Where Calf Implants Are Inserted
    Once a need for calf implants is determined, they are placed either; 1) subfascially, or; 2) submuscularly—underneath the aponeurosis (subaponeurotically)—flat fibrous sheets of connective tissue that typically attach the muscles that make up the calf—gastrocnemius and soleus muscles—to the bone. More commonly, calf implants are placed subfascially (just below the fascial plane), but many of the best results are obtained by placing the implant in the submuscular plane—deeply within the muscle.
    1. Subfascial placement of the calf implant is generally performed more often because the procedure is less dissection-intensive, less difficult, and results in generally faster recovery times with patients reporting less pain. However, subfascial implant placement can sometimes result in calf implant movement (drift or rotation), and/or result in the patient being able to feel the perimeter edges of the implant afterwards, because they are usually harder than the nearby muscle and not enough tissue covers the implant itself. As well, sometimes the desired effect isn't aesthetically as pleasing as the submuscular method because the implant itself tends to define the final shape of the calf region, rather than the muscle tissue. This is true with either silicone-gel or solid silicone calf implants. Subfascial implantation also requires more attention to the placement of the implant, which can become difficult when trying to reach the most distal region (distant from the center) of the crural pocket where the implant is placed.
    2. Submuscular (subaponeurotically) placement is considered a more difficult procedure and requires more surgical skill as the operation delves deeply into tissues. Generally, however, the results are better because the implant is placed more securely and accurately within the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (within deeper fascia tissues), allowing for more aesthetic placement of the implant. Also, it’s been observed that submuscular implantation can result in a more natural calf shape and feel because the actual muscles of the calf cover the implant completely. However, this method of calf augmentation generally requires a few more days of patient recovery time and more discomfort until the deep tissue trauma begins to heal. Another benefit of submuscular placement is that since this procedure is more involved it also allows for greater control of potential surgical hazards including vascular or nerve damage—incisions are made far away from the junction of the gastrocnemius muscles.

Heres the rest of the link and dr info: http://www.calfimplants.com/calf-implants.html
    LOL... My friend. It appears that you are speaking to information that you have read. I am speaking from 1st hand experience... I have had the procedure already to correct a neurological defect that I have, & I am having it done again to get the desired size for balance. I checked out the link you posted & this information is a general FAQ on calf implants. It does not state that "Dr Jones" or "Dr Quack" himself performs submuscular calf implantation. It has a link where you can find doctors that do the procedure in general. Thats what I was talking about.
    The procedure itself can have complications both ways, subfascially and submuscularly. But subfascial is the less invasive & safer route. I know what it feels like to have implants in my leg & trust me, I wouldnt suggest having them placed under or within a muscle that gets so much activity & use like the calf..

theres different types, over tha calfs and under. Under is the most realistic..you can't tell there fake...for obvious reason...but the most painful to heal. I never heard of any horror stories..but thats me. I'm sure there are some as with any surgery or cosmetic procedure..always risk!
    I read a horror story once, regarding calf implants. A guy paid for his girlfriend to get breast implants and calf implants. The breasts were a success but the calfs developed an infection and the doctors had to amputate the womans legs from below the knees! I think I read it in a fitness/bodybuilding mag a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by tight booty View Post
    I read a horror story once, regarding calf implants. A guy paid for his girlfriend to get breast implants and calf implants. The breasts were a success but the calfs developed an infection and the doctors had to amputate the womans legs from below the knees! I think I read it in a fitness/bodybuilding mag a few years ago!
    Its possible that an infection can develop where necrosis of the tissue develops where a limb has to be removed, but unlikely. But what is more likely is that compartment syndrome can develop from placing implants that are too large that can cut off circulation to the limb & a foot or lower leg has to be amputated if not treated in time. That's why its a good idea to find an experienced surgeon that has done this procedure allot. Sometimes stories can be exaggerated because it's hard to believe that this poor woman developed a staph infection in BOTH legs.

John Romano could tell that story in detail. That was Dan Duchaine's girlfriend. I can't remember her name. I heard Romano talk about it on an old MD radio show. What a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedoGuido View Post
    John Romano could tell that story in detail. That was Dan Duchaine's girlfriend. I can't remember her name. I heard Romano talk about it on an old MD radio show. What a tragedy.
    That is a tragedy! I never forgot this story and it has turned me off calf implants for life! I am totally against them. I don't believe they are worth the risk!

That is a tragedy! I never forgot this story and it has turned me off calf implants for life! I am totally against them. I don't believe they are worth the risk!
    TB, I have to agree with you & disagree... I think they are worth the risk in cases where someone is correcting a defect.

But other than that, I wouldn't generally suggest that anyone have the procedure done for the simple fact that there are probably only a small percentage of plastic surgeons that can do the procedure safely that can respond correctly when complications arise..

Quote Originally Posted by saiyajinali View Post
    TB, I have to agree with you & disagree... I think they are worth the risk in cases where someone is correcting a defect.

But other than that, I wouldn't generally suggest that anyone have the procedure done for the simple fact that there are probably only a small percentage of plastic surgeons that can do the procedure safely that can respond correctly when complications arise..
    I may have not had the surgery..I have heard from many people the it's just fucking painful after surgery. I commend you for dealing with that!

Me....personally....the type of person that I am....IF I were to get calf implant for a cosmetic look and not to correct a defect....No matter how painful it was, I would go all the way and do the SubMuscular implant!! Of course if I found a great doctor that could respond to any complications and do the procedure.

But thats just me. But then again I'm not interested in doing it anyway.

You have a good reason for getting the procedure and taking the safer route!

I may have not had the surgery..I have heard from many people the it's just fucking painful after surgery. I commend you for dealing with that!

Me....personally....the type of person that I am....IF I were to get calf implant for a cosmetic look and not to correct a defect....No matter how painful it was, I would go all the way and do the SubMuscular implant!! Of course if I found a great doctor that could respond to any complications and do the procedure.

But thats just me. But then again I'm not interested in doing it anyway.
    I respect your opinions.. But it really is not that painful at all. It basically felt like a soreness that someone would have following a good calf workout.. If its much more more painful than that, I have to wonder what the surgeon did in the O.R. while the patient was under anesthesia..

well now..the question is Are you happy with the results so far? How much did it cost you? How long did it take for you to recover?

well now..the question is Are you happy with the results so far? How much did it cost you? How long did it take for you to recover?
    Well it actually only took me three weeks to recover. Was I happy with the results? Yes & no... My case was a special one because the surgeon was doing a reconstruction.. I basically had two surgeries. The 1st was basically a pilot one because I had scar tissue from a previous emergency procedure to save a limb following an accident I had.. The 1st set of implants were very small & were used to create pockets for a second procedure to gain the balance I was looking to achieve. The doctor did scar revisions to make the tissue strong enough to recieve the implants. I recovered very quickly from that procedure. I waited around 6 months & then i had the 2nd procedure. The 2nd procedure was painless also. But there were complications....
    The implants the surgeon used were too large & I had mechanics issues. Basically the implants on the 2nd procedure covered too large of an area around my leg. My doctor & I decided it was a good idea to remove the implants from my leg & give me a break & come back & try again.. I am in the process to have the procedure done again. This time the plan is to use smaller implants as far as area, but thicker so it will give the look of greater projection so I won't have the mechanics issues that I did from the 2nd procedure.. The cost for both procedures totaled around $8K. I can honestly say that I was very pleased with the surgeon because I did not endure any real pain following the procedures. Although I had to end up having to remove the 2nd set of implants & I am having to do it again, I think the surgeon did really good with me because my case was a special case with the circumstances that he dealt with from the very beginning with my injured leg.

Wow! I'm glad that they were able to save you leg. Must have been a tough time in your life.

I appreciate your input on this procedure. It's nice to get a first hand account of this surgery. I was always curious but I'm making gains on my calfs.....slow but it's happening.

NOVICE

Johnny Drama approved of this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12