Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Why do bodybuilders get so much respect for their muscles despite many other failures in their life?

There are quite a few guys who are overall awesome guys with families, have legitimate jobs or investments outside of a sponsorship, and are good representative for the sport.. i.e. Branch, Jay, Phil, John Meadows, Cedric McMillan, Jason Theobald, Aaron Singerman (I know not a bodybuilder but he is probably one of the top 3 most relevant people in the industry who don't compete)etc. etc.. That I have A TON of respect for because they work hard in every aspect in life, inside and outside of bodybuilding and are something to be admired..

HOWEVER, you have guys who are "respected" that are:
    Drug dealers
    Gay for pay prostitutes
    Federal informants
    Scammers
    Rec drug addicts
    Broke as all hell and would rather inject themselves full of drugs than pay their mortgage and lose their house.. costing the bank and stakeholders of the bank to eat the cost

Why is this OK?? It has been proven by all the guys I listed above YOU CAN BE A GREAT BODYBUILDER WHILE DOING THINGS RIGHT. It is disgusting to see some of these people defended on the boards and so admired because they eat a bunch of food, take a bunch of drugs, lift a bunch of weight, and have great genetics.. you can teach an animal this crap. That shouldn't be admired. It is what you do outside of bodybuilding that should be looked up to. Almost nowhere outside of this industry would any of this be acceptable.

/rant
    Last edited by MattyH7688; 09-20-2012 at 06:42 PM.

RX MEMBER

Totally agree. Tired of people saying that gay for pay prostitutes, scammers, drug dealers, etc are just exercising their freedom, are no different from government workers/businessmen, who gives a damn what they do etc etc. Time to stop defending these idiots and show more respect to the people who bust their ass to make an honestly living while bodybuilding at the same time.
    Last edited by TheABomb; 09-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheABomb View Post
    Totally agree. Tired of people saying that gay for pay prostitutes, scammers, drug dealers, etc are just exercising their freedom, are no different from government workers/businessmen, who gives a damn what they do etc etc. Time to stop defending these idiots and show more respect to the people who bust their ass to make an honestly living while bodybuilding at the same time.
    I have more respect for an average National Level guy busting their ass.. I know of guys working 50-60 hours a week, with wife and kids, and still manage to compete and do extremely well. That is something that gets my respect.... Even if they may not be a top guy in the world.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

^^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyH7688 View Post
    There are quite a few guys who are overall awesome guys with families, have legitimate jobs or investments outside of a sponsorship, and are good representative for the sport.. i.e. Branch, Jay, Phil, John Meadows, Cedric McMillan, Jason Theobald, Aaron Singerman (I know not a bodybuilder but he is probably one of the top 3 most relevant people in the industry who don't compete)etc. etc.. That I have A TON of respect for because they work hard in every aspect in life, inside and outside of bodybuilding and are something to be admired..
    Don't forget Mark Dugdale (on the cover of this month's Iron Man magazine)!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyH7688 View Post
    HOWEVER, you have guys who are "respected" that are:
    Drug dealers
    Gay for pay prostitutes
    Federal informants
    Scammers
    Rec drug addicts
    Broke as all hell and would rather inject themselves full of drugs than pay their mortgage and lose their house.. costing the bank and stakeholders of the bank to eat the cost

Why is this OK??(snip)
    It's not okay.

But it is what it is.

• Some (many?) people use illegal drugs in their bodybuilding efforts.
    • There are fans who couldn't care less about sexual exploits others take part in for fun or profit.
    • I suspect the Federal government can really put the fear of God in many people if they're threatened with a decade or more in prison.
    • And money inspires some to scam or otherwise cheat in order to gain riches.

whats wrong with recreational drug addicts as you call it....its a hobby too.

i always found it amusing when people talk about a persons faults yet will say " but they have a great physique ! "

ive been trying to figure the answer to that question for YEARS!...i believe ppl honor or misconstru that bullshit as tuffing it out or struggling....i dont get it, i put in my 40+ take care of my fam and im still on my way to where i think i can go in the sport

I could really care less about their personal life, as long as it does not harm anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by LSMUSCL81 View Post
    ive been trying to figure the answer to that question for YEARS!...i believe ppl honor or misconstru that bullshit as tuffing it out or struggling....i dont get it, i put in my 40+ take care of my fam and im still on my way to where i think i can go in the sport
    well they say BB is a selfish sport...so some might use it to justify actions of taking it to a whole 'notha level

0.jpg

OLYMPIAN

Simple: immaturity and selfishness

Good thread.

RX MEMBER

Quite honestly, the greatest names in the sport might fit into some of the categories listed at the start of this string. Why do some people think they know enough to be judge, jury & convicter of their fellow competitive bodybuilders?

AVBG

I don't know? It makes no sense really.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    ^^^^ This.

Don't forget Mark Dugdale (on the cover of this month's Iron Man magazine)!

It's not okay.

But it is what it is.

• Some (many?) people use illegal drugs in their bodybuilding efforts.
    • There are fans who couldn't care less about sexual exploits others take part in for fun or profit.
    • I suspect the Federal government can really put the fear of God in many people if they're threatened with a decade or more in prison.
    • And money inspires some to scam or otherwise cheat in order to gain riches.
    Mark Dugdale is an excellent example of hardworking people in bodybuilding..

I understand it is their life, so they can be fuck ups if they want to.. but they are the people who are keeping bodybuilding from ever becoming mainstream. Just think if we had 20 Jay Cutlers and Phil Heaths(I know impossible) walking around promoting the sport then I truly believe bodybuilding will grow big time. I don't think he will ever be on the level of any of the major sports, but I think there is more than enough room for growth back into the days of ESPN 2 lol.

I think the main problem is two things. People aren't directly punished for their actions as pros, like in EVERY OTHER PRO SPORT pros are fined and suspended for conduct off the field or whatever. But probably the biggest one is the type of people competitive bodybuilding attracts.. I think for every smart bodybuilder I really enjoy talking to and can hold a conversation about something outside of meathead things, there are 4-5 that are the complete opposite. Bodybuilding often attracts a lot of people with certain mental issues, myself included, that other sports may not necessarily bring ni.

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    Quite honestly, the greatest names in the sport might fit into some of the categories listed at the start of this string. Why do some people think they know enough to be judge, jury & convicter of their fellow competitive bodybuilders?
    Who? Ronnie held a full-time job as a police officer while working, now he has started a very successful supplement company.. Dorian and Lee Haney, other excellent ambassadors. Of course there will always be rumors about Arnold and his "sponsors" but there is little proof of that and he has brought bodybuilding to where it is, in a good way I mean.

The sport could grow if they had a Bodybuilders Association, like every other sport in America worth a damn (minus UFC - where their fighters get screwed due to Monopoly Laws).

The bodybuilders could be paid enough to not have to resort to unsavory ethics and morals (aside from drug use needed to compete) if their sponsors actually paid them well. Example: Dallas McCarver turns pro at North Americans and just recently signs a contract with MD. I think it's in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 a month for a year. You double or triple that amount and all of the sudden he's not hard up financially and bad thoughts won't enter his mind.

Ronnie Coleman in his "hey day" was making about 300k a year from BSN. A company that makes 8 to 10 figures in annaul gross revenue, I think they could manage to pay Ronnie a cool Mill back then per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    The sport could grow if they had a Bodybuilders Association, like every other sport in America worth a damn (minus UFC - where their fighters get screwed due to Monopoly Laws).

The bodybuilders could be paid enough to not have to resort to unsavory ethics and morals (aside from drug use needed to compete) if their sponsors actually paid them well. Example: Dallas McCarver turns pro at North Americans and just recently signs a contract with MD. I think it's in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 a month for a year. You double or triple that amount and all of the sudden he's not hard up financially and bad thoughts won't enter his mind.

Ronnie Coleman in his "hey day" was making about 300k a year from BSN. A company that makes 8 to 10 figures in annaul gross revenue, I think they could manage to pay Ronnie a cool Mill back then per year.
    These are good points..

The money is there too.. very few know how to get it though or are willing to put in the work through marketing themselves, but having an association for bodybuilders would be able to make many of these salaries much more livable
    Last edited by MattyH7688; 09-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast