Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    1. Changes in American criminal law in 1990 altered the status of bodybuilders who use. Basically, high-level bodybuilding was criminalized by the steroid laws. While it might have been frowned upon to some degree, Arnold was able to talk openly about steroid use in the '70s & not harm his reputation or his status in pro bodybuilding.

2. The Internet altered the ability of bodybuilders to keep their sub rosa activities private. There is no privacy anymore. Things that some bodybuilders got away with in the '70s & '80s cannot be hidden. It's all over the 'net, including YT. I've noticed that some BBs who are considered "decent guys" get a pass for these things, while those not as well liked don't.

3. No one before or after him had the charisma & disarming charm of Arnold. Bodybuilding got a major bump in the '70s because of him, but no one replaced him & perhaps no one ever will. It is no surprise that the only annual issue of all reputable BB mags is the Arnold issue.

4. Just about every male competitor in the pro IFBB league (except Dave Goodin) uses. So no one from the list of "virtuous" BBs listed above can be excluded from list of "vices" used to separate the "good" from the "bad." Some may use more than others, but they all use in violation of state & federal law. Some may be able to swing HRT, but I expect most of them also use beyond that. So I don't buy the notion that some pro BBs are more virtuous than others. Virtue is relative in the bodybuilding world, & frankly always has been.
    Why do you think dave goodin doesnt USE?...

Those are some pretty harsh labels places generally upon the bodybuilding community with of course your graciously granted exceptions. I guess its all relative what really constitutes respect. I think a lot of people are like me and go on forums and other websites and check stuff out, whats going on, see if any interesting videos are up, etc...But beyond that I don't put a lot of judgmental thought into any of these guys and their lives. Sure I can recognize the ones who clearly have long term plans in mind, the ones that have other occupations, families, interests and the ones who are straight up 100% bodybuilding and let that factor be the critical variable all their decisions revolve around. But why should everyone conform to your ideals and values in order to be worthy of respect?
    I think its pretty pious of someone to be so critical and judgmental of someone elses lifestyle though. You're basically saying if bodybuilders don't live by your morals, values and ethics than they don't deserve any respect for anything they do. I'm not saying bodybuilder's or anyone in that matter should automatically be granted respect based purely on your occupation. Ultimately, its their life and their choices and they will be the ones that have to live with their decisions. I say to each their own. If they are doing something that makes them happy then great. If deep down they know what they are doing isn't right then its only a matter of time before they realize something needs to change. But I doubt they are looking for your respect in the process.
    I know its a rant and your own personal opinion but you seem to be placing yourself upon a pedestal high above everyone else. I'm sure your human, make mistakes and aren't perfect. If the choices of others aren't hurting you then my opinion is they have the right to live their life however they please no matter how different it is from mine. They will be the ones who live with their decisions and not you. If someone else respects people you disdain your going to have to learn to live with it because your lifestyle choices and things you place admiration upon probably drive other people nuts as well.
    "If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." - Joe Rogan

Team Provo, Chem Moderator Provo82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyH7688 View Post
    There are quite a few guys who are overall awesome guys with families, have legitimate jobs or investments outside of a sponsorship, and are good representative for the sport.. i.e. Branch, Jay, Phil, John Meadows, Cedric McMillan, Jason Theobald, Aaron Singerman (I know not a bodybuilder but he is probably one of the top 3 most relevant people in the industry who don't compete)etc. etc.. That I have A TON of respect for because they work hard in every aspect in life, inside and outside of bodybuilding and are something to be admired..

HOWEVER, you have guys who are "respected" that are:
    Drug dealers
    Gay for pay prostitutes
    Federal informants
    Scammers
    Rec drug addicts
    Broke as all hell and would rather inject themselves full of drugs than pay their mortgage and lose their house.. costing the bank and stakeholders of the bank to eat the cost

Why is this OK?? It has been proven by all the guys I listed above YOU CAN BE A GREAT BODYBUILDER WHILE DOING THINGS RIGHT. It is disgusting to see some of these people defended on the boards and so admired because they eat a bunch of food, take a bunch of drugs, lift a bunch of weight, and have great genetics.. you can teach an animal this crap. That shouldn't be admired. It is what you do outside of bodybuilding that should be looked up to. Almost nowhere outside of this industry would any of this be acceptable.

/rant
    i like your rant and agree whole heartedly with basically everything you said

I don't think they get a whole lot of respect at all. People just flip them off and say "steroids, GH". For sure the business is shady and that's to bad, but there aren't many people even inside the business who respect. We tear them up on the boards and the mainstream population doesn't give a damn about bodybuilding/powerlifting. I'd say they get very little respect. That being said the whole g4p thing is an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyH7688 View Post
    There are quite a few guys who are overall awesome guys with families, have legitimate jobs or investments outside of a sponsorship, and are good representative for the sport.. i.e. Branch, Jay, Phil, John Meadows, Cedric McMillan, Jason Theobald, Aaron Singerman (I know not a bodybuilder but he is probably one of the top 3 most relevant people in the industry who don't compete)etc. etc.. That I have A TON of respect for because they work hard in every aspect in life, inside and outside of bodybuilding and are something to be admired..

HOWEVER, you have guys who are "respected" that are:
    Drug dealers
    Gay for pay prostitutes
    Federal informants
    Scammers
    Rec drug addicts
    Broke as all hell and would rather inject themselves full of drugs than pay their mortgage and lose their house.. costing the bank and stakeholders of the bank to eat the cost

Why is this OK?? It has been proven by all the guys I listed above YOU CAN BE A GREAT BODYBUILDER WHILE DOING THINGS RIGHT. It is disgusting to see some of these people defended on the boards and so admired because they eat a bunch of food, take a bunch of drugs, lift a bunch of weight, and have great genetics.. you can teach an animal this crap. That shouldn't be admired. It is what you do outside of bodybuilding that should be looked up to. Almost nowhere outside of this industry would any of this be acceptable.

/rant
    Why is someone's conduct outside of their bodybuilding life any of your concern? I'm sure there's a scumbag or two that you've looked up to in the past. MANY bodybuilders share similar traits to rec drug addicts. You don't get striated glutes without being obsessive/compulsive to some degree. And if someone does gay for pay or is a rec drug addict that really is none of your damn business. So there's a list of qualities someone has to have to be "admirable" in your book? Why are you so judgmental? Being judgmental and critical of what other people do in private is something to look down upon in my opinion. Get off your high horse. What position are you in to judge anyone, good or bad?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

okay im gonna clarify here what my perspective is. Sure these guys like Jameson said can do whatever they want and i guess its really not our business. But like the admirable people Matty mentioned these guys make the sport we do look better! for those of us out there that do the right thing, take care of our families, are responsible citizens etc it sucks to have guys that do the opposite creating a stigma for those that do lead a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Couldn't you say this about anyone who excels in any given area?

Actors?
    Musicians? (Michael Jackson & Whitney Houston come to mind)
    Athletes?
    etc.
    Ahmen sister. Salespeople included. I was in business for 44 years until I retired at age 70. There was the hard and fast 80/20 rule where ever I plied my sales talents. 20 percent of the sales people earned 80% of the money. Fortunatly I was always in the 20. Thanks be to Bodybuilding I stood out. I was unuque and used that to my advantage. Never was my presence a determent.

Baldie
    MY MIND & BODY ARE AT ONE WITH MY POWER & STRENGTH............JM

i guess just to regurgitate my own thoughts some more and Mattys is that i despise that the general public thinks that bodybuilders are unintelligent meatheads that deal drugs, are home sexual etc etc. so itd be great if we could have more representatives like Evan, Cedric, Branch, Jay and even on a smaller scale Jason, John Meadows, Shelby Starnes. Why cant a bodybuilder be intelligent, conscientious etc why do we have to have a stigma showing otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by s2h View Post
    Actually pro athletes in the nba...nfl...mlb...nhl all pay dues....they pay the union and they pay them a.fair amount....these players have.no.choice either...you cant play if you sont sign and agree to the cba....so maybe bb needs a union?..not sure thats the answer...
    I stand corrected on the paying league fees...however, a union would allow for strikes once terms become unfair if not willing to renegotiate. I personally feel Arnold would be pretty upset if the ASC got canceled because pro's went on strike. I'm sure Arnie could find money through his various channels to support the athletes not only short term, but long term. For Christ sake they dont even offer health insurance to the pro's (from what I understand).

Add in the need for athlete agents to negotiate contracts with the likes of MD, Flex, BPI, Muscletech, BSN, etc...most if they're lucky have their personal attorney due negotiating - which isn't bad, but certainly isn't a contract attorney/master negotiator.

It's a catch 22. As long as there are bodybuilders who are criminals, do gay for pay, deal drugs, etc. the "sport" will have a bad name and will be irrelevant to 99% of the population. If 99% of the population does not care about bodybuilders, pros cannot get paid like guys in other sports. If they do not get paid, they will resort to crime, gay for pay, dealing drugs. And so on and so on.

SNAC

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme One View Post
    It's a catch 22. As long as there are bodybuilders who are criminals, do gay for pay, deal drugs, etc. the "sport" will have a bad name and will be irrelevant to 99% of the population. If 99% of the population does not care about bodybuilders, pros cannot get paid like guys in other sports. If they do not get paid, they will resort to crime, gay for pay, dealing drugs. And so on and so on.

Every sport has that, with a little less G4P lolz

ex. Oakland Raiders

I guess the difference is the other sports sweep the drug use under the rug and have drug testing protocals in place. I mean come on, with the black eye that ped's receive on a daily basis in the news, is it any surprise that the "sport" of bodybuilding is viewed as a joke by 99% of the population? Yes, ped's are a part of all professional sports but is it the main component? Can you open the latest baseball book and find article after article of what drugs to take to be a better player? As long as drugs are a key component in being a pro bodybuilder, there is no testing, and in fact the cult followers of bodybuilding praise and emulate thier drug use, bodybuilding will be a laughing stock. The average person will not pay to see it. Bodybuilders will be labeled as freaks and there will not be anywhere near the money available to pay out to athletes as the other sports.
    Last edited by Extreme One; 09-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.

NOVICE

I think the real issue is why these guys have to resort to those things as a means of living. They are what top 50 in the entire world at what they do and make peanuts. It's a shame really, but that doesn't excuse some of the things they are doing.

Yes they make peanuts because the money is not there to make. THE GENERAL PUBLIC DOES NOT CARE ABOUT BODYBUILDING. Bodybuilders need to recognize that this should be a hobby.....An expensive hobby. Yes, some take it more seriously than others and the smallest percentage can make a living at it. The majority however will not and need to find legit ways to make a living. If you are a bodybuilder and think one day you will get rich doing it, you need to change your thought process. Unlike some other sports where you sign up and all you need is a glove or shoes, you need a lot of money to compete. All the more reason to GET A REAL JOB. If you are good and you happen to luck out and make a little money, great. But don't bank on it. If you do you will find yourself poor or doing something shady to survive.

RX MEMBER

I suspect if the untested federations all started strict testing, the sports world would find another reason to ignore bodybuilding. They just don't like it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast