Page 206 of 240 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3600

I think the later it goes... it favors Hopkins... one big thing I notice with Hopkins is his conditioning in the later rounds... hes very economical in the ring and it pays dividends down the stretch... as his opponents ate often frustrated and become even more desparate... he could take Kovalev's heart if it goes into the later rounds. A cut eye via punch or headbutt could also mess with his confidence.

Hopkins is a slow starter... so if that opportunity to tag him is there, Kovalev better take it quick and finish it... because there will be fewer later.
    Last edited by PTB; 10-29-2014 at 02:41 PM.

OLYMPIAN

I think Martin Murray is the best available yet willing opponent GGG can face next. I expect him to win, but think Murray does better than Rubio and Geale. Murray is good, but GGG is probably great.

Hopkins and Kovalev really has me fucked up trying to pick. If Hopkins doesn't get "old" or clipped early, I think he is going to put a clinic on Kovalev the final 4-5 rounds. But, I wouldn't bet even if I was betting with your money.

Kovalev wins iF it is an early knockout. Hopkins will probably win by Unanimous,Split or majority decision. Very hard fight for me to pick.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Donaire - Walters fight
    Bad quality and not sure what version this is. Could be Top Rank.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Gennady Golovkin vs Marco Antonio Rubio 18/10/2014 Complete Fight HD HBO

Picking simply five magic moments from Bernard Hopkins' career a tall order

A little more than two months before he turns 50 years old, Bernard Hopkins will slip through the ropes at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., on Nov. 8 to face Sergey Kovalev in a bout for three of the four major light heavyweight titles.

Making it to the fight with his senses and wits intact, perhaps sharper than ever, is perhaps the wily Hopkins' greatest accomplishment. There are few more amazing stories in sports than a 50-year-old man competing, and winning, against the best boxers in the world.

Hopkins was born in 1965, the same birth year as an astounding number of the greatest athletes of our generation. Among those, NFL wide receiver Cris Carter retired in 2002. Ex-heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, NFL cornerback Rod Woodson and NBA center David Robinson all retired in 2003. Hockey legend Mario Lemieux hung up the skates for good in 2006. In 2007, Craig Biggio, a member of MLB's 3,000-hit club, retired. And in 2008, Michael Jordan sidekick Scott Pippen ended his marvelous career.

Still, Hopkins endures, competing at the highest level at his sport, weeks before he's eligible for membership in the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP).
    But Hopkins has had a career filled with highlights. What follows is one man's choices as the five greatest moments in Hopkins' fabulous career:

Bernard Hopkins (L) and one-time foe Oscar De La Hoya. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

5. Hopkins defeats Winky Wright on July 21, 2007
    -- In his six previous bouts, Wright had defeated Shane Mosley twice, Felix Trinidad, Sam Soliman and Ike Quartey and fought to a disputed draw with Jermain Taylor in a bout most thought he won. He was a slick boxer, but he couldn't match Hopkins, who pulled away down the stretch to post the impressive unanimous decision.

4. Hopkins crushes previously unbeaten Kelly Pavlik on Oct. 18, 2008 -- Hopkins thrived throughout his career on doing things people told him he could not do. This was another case. Pavlik was 34-0 and had knocked out Jermain Taylor to win the middleweight title. But it was no contest as Hopkins easily outboxed the younger man.

3. Hopkins defeats Jean Pascal on May 21, 2011, to become the oldest man ever to hold a major boxing title -- Pascal was nearly 18 years younger than Hopkins and had been on a good roll but he was a bit part to history on this night. Hopkins surpassed George Foreman to become, at 46-plus, the oldest man to win a boxing title. In between rounds, Hopkins went into his corner and did push-ups in a bid to psyche Pascal out. He didn't need to, though, because his boxing ability did that for him.

2. Hopkins decisions Antonio Tarver after jumping to light heavywieght on June 6, 2006 -- This bout was to be Hopkins' last. He'd promised his mother, Shirley, he wouldn't fight after 40. And so, after losing back-to-back disappointing decisions to Jermain Taylor in middleweight title bouts, Hopkins opted to try to go out with a bang. He agreed to face Tarver, whom many regarded as the second-best pound-for-pound boxer in the world, in a light heavyweight fight. Once again, Hopkins confounded the experts who thought he was too slow, too small or too something and easily handled Tarver. He won 10 of the 12 rounds on all three judges' scorecards.

1. Hopkins TKOs Felix Trinidad for the undisputed middleweight championship on Sept. 29, 2001 -- No matter what Hopkins' accomplishes in his career, it won't be able to top this moment. Hopkins was nearly 37 years old and perceived to be on the way out when he took on Trinidad, the popular Puerto Rican star who had become one of the most feared punchers in boxing. Fighting at New York's Madison Square Garden just weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hopkins was brilliant in outboxing Trinidad and scoring a 12th-round stoppage. He was never better than he was on this night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...202822395.html

Hopkins has had such an amazing career...one of my favourite all-time athletes....
    My favourite Hopkins KO is the trinidad one....

not to get all technical with boxing talk, and ive probably covered it here before, but a same-side counter is when you block or defend a shot then hit your opponent on the same side with the hand he just threw that punch with. Hopkins blocked Trinidad's left hook perfectly then unloaded a short powerful right hook while trinidads left hand was still extended and bang down goes trinidad....sick, calculated KO.

and if you look at hopkins career....he takes guys souls....
    Tarver, Pavlik, Wright, and to a lesser extent, trout, shumenov, pascal.....they arent the same fighters they were before, after they fought hopkins.....this may or may not be why hopkins doesnt age....he takes the years out of his opponents.

Walters' Trainer Not in Favor of Lomachenko Being Next

By Gregory Stangrit

Trainer Rudy Hernandez, who works with WBA featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (25-0, 21KOs), is not in favor of seeing the feared puncher face Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1KOs), the WBO's champion, in the immediate future.

Last month Walters made a big statement with a sixth round knockout of Nonito Donaire, who was once regarded as one of the best pound for pound boxers in the sport.

Lomachenko, a two-time Olympic gold medal winner and viewed as one of the best amateur fighters in history, capture a world title in only his third pro fight with a twelve round decision of Gary Russell Jr. in June. Lomachenko return on November 22nd in Macau, when he faces Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo (52-1, 33KOs) on the Pacquiao-Algieri undercard.

Hernandez would like to see both fighters get handsomely paid for such a contest and in order to do that the two boxers would have to rack up a few more significant wins.

"I don't really like that fight [being next]. I think it's a very difficult fight. But Nicholas Walters doesn't care - he will fight anybody and that's what fighters do. If you ask Lomachenko, he would tell you that he doesn't care who he fights, because fighters...that's what they do. But I seem them going in different directions right now, and then maybe do it down the road when it's more profitable for everybody," Hernandez said.

Lomachenko already suffered his first pro loss in March of this year, when he lost a twelve round split decision to Orlando Salido. That was Lomachenko's first title attempt.
    Hernandez feels the loss could have easily been avoided - if Lomachenko's corner would have made the proper adjustments during the fight.

"I think he's a great fighter. I don't think he should have lost to Salido. I think he should have been a world champion [that night]. But unfortunately, when you have a fighter who is so talented and does so many good things...no changes were made in the fight. Why? You have such a great fighter. No changes were made. I hope he learned from those mistakes, and so did his corner, because it's a team. It's team work," Hernandez said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...table&id=83940

IS DEVON ALEXANDER MORE RISK THAN REWARD FOR AMIR KHAN?

After taking three "rebuilding" fights following his devastating knockout loss to Danny Garcia, Amir Khan has announced that he will be facing off against Devon Alexander on December 13th in Las Vegas. This fight represents Khan's first "real" test in the ring in the past 18 months. It would seem that Team Khan's game plan is to win impressively and then step up the calls for a fight with Floyd Mayweather in May of 2015. One wonders whether they realize that winning impressively against Alexander is a task much easier said than done.

Devon Alexander is still one of the most talented fighters in the sport. The only reason he is being treated as an opponent is the perception that his career has stalled in the last few years. Fighters who fight in the style Devon Alexander does need to register good wins consistently to remain talked about. Unfortunately, Devon hasn't really looked impressive since his junior welterweight days, hence the perceived descent into obscurity. What hasn't faded with his diminished presence in the media, however, is his boxing ability. Devon still possesses enough boxing skill to outbox most of the welterweight division. More importantly, he still believes that he belongs at the elite level and has big pay-per-view fight aspirations of his own. Alexander knows Khan is beatable and understands that he, like a few other names in the division, are only potentially one significant victory away from fighting Floyd Mayweather for welterweight supremacy. All of this should motivate Devon Alexander to produce a career defining performance against Khan.

For Khan, while a victory over Alexander has value, there is a strong likelihood that it would come at the price of looking unimpressive. No Alexander opponent has looked good in the ring against him. That is partly because of Devon's qualities, but also because of the style clash he often produces. Defensive southpaws are generally an awkward matchup for offensive orthodox fighters. In victory over Alexander, neither Shawn Porter nor Timothy Bradley looked particularly impressive. They relied on swarming and overwhelming; a tactic which, though effective against Alexander, will do little to convince the public that Khan is worthy of a pay-per-view fight against Floyd Mayweather. An Amir Khan knockout win is also unlikely. Khan doesn't have concussive power (3 KOs in his last 12 fights) and Devon Alexander has never come close to being knocked out, even in his encounters against noted knockout punchers Randall Bailey, Marcos Maidana, and Lucas Matthysse. The likelihood is that it will be a competitive fight, with Devon winning his fair share of rounds in a contest that will feature some scrappy exchanges. Khan calling out Mayweather in the immediate aftermath of a scrappy win will do nothing to increase his stock or excite the fans for a potential Mayweather-Khan May 2015 clash.

The fight also carries an injury risk for both boxers. The average orthodox-southpaw matchup throws up its fair share of accidental head clashes. Should the fight be significantly affected or ended prematurely by an injury, then effectively, in the fans eyes, neither fighter will have done enough to prove themselves ready for a bigger fight. Deep cuts could also potentially put in jeopardy the possibility of either fighter being available to fight again soon after December. For Khan, the demons of past failures in challenging "stay busy" fights will also be a factor. All of Khan's losses have come in fights he really didn't need to take against then underrated fighters. As if Team Khan hasn't absorbed the lessons from those encounters, Khan is fighting the now underrated Alexander for little apparent reward. There are no belts on the line, this fight doesn't pay significantly more than the others available to him, and Khan won't receive much credit for potentially beating Alexander. The only major positive for Khan is that a fight with Devon Alexander is not a major knockout risk (Devon has 2 KOs in his last 10 fights).

In risk-reward terms, Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander is a better fight for Devon Alexander than it is for Amir Khan. Khan is the front-runner for a lucrative fight with the pound-for-pound king. The only things that can get in the way of a May showdown with Mayweather are a shock loss or diminished public demand as a result of an unimpressive performance. Devon Alexander is more than capable of inflicting at least one of those outcomes on Khan. For the St. Louis fighter, this fight is a win-win. There was nothing exciting on the horizon for him and he now gets a chance to possibly bag a win that can catapult back to the higher reaches of the welterweight division. Alexander also benefits from the pressure to impress being on Khan's shoulders rather than his own. Khan has a lot more to lose than Alexander and not much more to gain.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article18373.html

Risky fight but so was peterson and garcia and maidana when khan fought them....he fights these fights. I think khan can outflash alexander and win this on the cards. As per 3 rebuild fights, i wouldn't call collazo a tune up...dude is a crafty vet coming off a ko win and khan just straight mugged him...

Throwback Thursday Classic fights

Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs John "The beast" Mugabi

OLYMPIAN

I agree. The Collazo win was big for Khan. Collazo is no joke and only loses to top level fighters. I actually thought he'd win or the fight would be close enough to be controversial. However, Khan beat him up and basically paint jobbed him.

That is a tough fight to call, Khan vs Alexander. Alexander has the better chin, by a wide margin. Khan has the speed edge, but not by a ton. Power? Pretty even. Both guys can fight 12 rounds fairly comfortably. I'd say Alexander maybe has him by a hair in stamina. Pretty much an even fight IMO.

I'll go with Alexander by decision.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post

Throwback Thursday Classic fights

Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs John "The beast" Mugabi

Marvin Hagler is easily one of my favorite fighters of all time. From the 80's, I'd say he and Larry Holmes were my 2 favorites.

Hagler
    Pryor
    Chavez

The 3 toughest fighters I've ever seen... you can hit them with a lead pipe.... and they still keep coming... they break your will and discourage their opponents. not only by their punches.. but their opponents punches... Mugabi hit Hagler with bombs.. and could barely back him up... I'm sure he was like D#!!!, what do I have to do... no wonder his corner wad trying to build him up... I'd want to quit too.

Hearns didn't want any more of that... cut Hagler open... his ONLY chance of winning was of the ref stopped the fight and Hearns had a lead.
    Last edited by PTB; 11-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Hagler
    Pryor
    Chavez

The 3 toughest fighters I've ever seen... you can hit them with a lead pipe.... and they still keep coming... they break your will and discourage their opponents. not only by their punches.. but their opponents punches... Mugabi hit Hagler with bombs.. and could barely back him up... I'm sure he was like D#!!!, what do I have to do... no wonder his corner wad trying to build him up... I'd want to quit too.

Hearns didn't want any more of that... cut Hagler open... his ONLY chance of winning was of the ref stopped the fight and Hearns had a lead.
    I agree with you on those 3 badasses being if not the toughest, but among the toughest fighters from the 80's. Who would you place on the list from the 90's? Without much thought, some names I think of are Holyfield, Erik Morales, James Toney, Oscar (underrated toughness/chin) Gatti and Ward and of course Johnny Tapia. Who am I missing? Some of the guys I mentioned could fall into the 2000's category.

Anyways, who do you guys have tonight? I'll stick with Bernard by decision. I just can't pick against him. I want him to lose, but not get hurt. As a boxing fan, I think it's better for boxing to have newer, younger, more exciting fighters.

I also think the co main event of Sadaam Ali and Abregu is interesting. Abregu is underrated IMO and Ali hasn't fought anyone yet. HUGE step up for him. Abregu has only lost to Bradley and he was competitive. I'll go with Abregu by KO/TKO.

Back to Bernard. If he wins tonight, he won't be the GOAT, but I would say in terms of ranking great fighters careers, a win tonight makes his boxing career the GOAT. Even before tonight, he might have that distinction. But a win tonight seals it for me. The guy has been a top 25 P4P fighter for about 22 years now.

Page 206 of 240 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast