Page 216 of 240 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 3600

What did you think about the program's production value? NBC usually does a nice job in storytelling, making us root for people we barely know... as they do in the Olympics.

I saw some of that in this program.. and I'm hopeful more is to come.

OLYMPIAN

I am a junkie. I enjoyed it. I could watch or talk boxing for days at a time. Should get better too.

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    What did you think about the program's production value? NBC usually does a nice job in storytelling, making us root for people we barely know... as they do in the Olympics.

I saw some of that in this program.. and I'm hopeful more is to come.

I am really glad that boxing is back in network tv. I believe there will be 6 more of in different networks and cables. I noticed that there is a WWE esque intro with the fighter all by himself in front of some major graphics and no entourage. No mention of the sanctioning body or it's title too. A mixed bag for me. One half of me wanted it done like they traditionally did it with normal ring walk introductions, etc. The other half is just thankful it is back on terrestrial tv.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    Yeah, I actually gave Murray 3 rounds. GGG does get hit a lot, but seems to take it well. He took some wicked body shots from Murray and never appeared to slow down. Cotto throws hard to the body, no doubt, but he doesn't take a shot like Murray and certainly won't stand up to GGG's onslaught. I don't believe Cotto will ever step foot in the ring with GGG. I think Canelo is the only guy at or around 160 with a name who will step up. I also think he is the only guy that has a chance in hell at 160.

I'm cautiously excited about the big one on May 2. With that being said, I predict it doesn't happen. Someone is going to sustain an injury between now and then and they will end up fighting in September instead.

I've been very skeptical about this, but even though a lot of money has been invested, Floyd may find a way to back out with a so- called injury. He did it with Marquez. But then again, they committed so much money that they will probably have to fight each other as long as they are still breathing. Who knows? One thing I don't have to worry about are the logistics for the Vegas Trip because I won't be going since it is also the same day as my nieces's first holy communion. I told my sister when I found out that is the day of the fight and she said yeah she knows but that is the date. If not for that, I would be worried about time and money being spent on a fight that I am not 100% sure will go through.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

OLYMPIAN

Floyd is the rightful favorite. However, Manny is as live a dog as you'll ever see. People continue to make the mistake that because fighter a beats fighter b, fighter a will also beat fighter c. Floyd dominated JMM. JMM ko'd Manny was was life and death with him 3 other times. People will also point out that JMM and Floyd are both counter punchers. While this is true, they are different types of counter punchers. Floyd lets you shoot you wad and then comes back at you. He throws the occasional check hook. Where as JMM stays in the pocket and is will to take leather to land leather. I can't see Floyd doing that with Manny. I think Manny will build up an early lead and could even weaken and damage Floyd for the later rounds. If Manny is on and throws north of 60 punches a round, some with get through and others will pound the arms and sides. I can also see FLoyd figuring Manny out like he did Judah and pull out a decision. The big difference? Manny is no Zab. Manny won't quit trying or believing. Look at his 1st fight with Morales. Morales was up 7-3 going into the final 2 rounds and probably fought the finest fight of his HOF career. Manny went to town in the final 2 rounds, lost a legit 7-5 decision, but sowed the seeds for dominant victories in the 2nd and 3rd fights. LIke JMM, Morales stood his ground and fought. It says here that FLoyd will have to be able to do that as well or Manny wins. Put a gun to my head and make me bet? I think Manny is up or even after 6 and FLoyd wins 4 or 5 of the final 6 to take a close, legit decision. I also think the only way FLoyd fights a rematch with Manny is if Manny wins the 1st fight.

Danny Garcia vs Lamont Peterson.....
    If you thought Hagler beat Leonard, then this was perhaps the way it should have ended.

I thought Peterson's plan was masterful. . frustrated a great fighter in Garcia, who ownes the first half, but Peterson owned the 2nd half... my only rip on Peterson wad that he should have went for the kill... but Garcia is tough and has a tough chin.

I would have picked Peterson 115-113... hopefully they csn meet again at 147... it may help Peterson be stronger, as he gained almost 20 lbs after weigh in.

OLYMPIAN

Danny Garcia vs Lamont Peterson.....
    If you thought Hagler beat Leonard, then this was perhaps the way it should have ended.

I thought Peterson's plan was masterful. . frustrated a great fighter in Garcia, who ownes the first half, but Peterson owned the 2nd half... my only rip on Peterson wad that he should have went for the kill... but Garcia is tough and has a tough chin.

I would have picked Peterson 115-113... hopefully they csn meet again at 147... it may help Peterson be stronger, as he gained almost 20 lbs after weigh in.
    I watched the fight and totally agree. The only thing that irked me was dancing and shuffling I believe in round 10 or so.

OLYMPIAN

Shame on Peterson and his trainer. You cannot give away 7 rounds, not score any knockdowns and expect to win the decision.

This fight reminds me of Jermaine Taylor-Bernard Hopkins I. Bernard did nothing the 1st 8 rounds and Jermaine did next to nothing. But, next to nothing is more than nothing. Like Peterson did against Garcia, Hopkins won the last 4 rounds big.

But, this is professional boxing and it is judged round by round. 7-5 either was was fair, but I thought Garcia won more total rounds.

At the end of the day, I thought Danny won on points, but Lamont won the fight.

I think the 10 point must system should be ammended. If a round is extremely close, make it 10-9 or even. If there is a definitive or extremely one-sided round, even without a knockdown, make it 10-8.

Shame on Peterson and his trainer. You cannot give away 7 rounds, not score any knockdowns and expect to win the decision.

This fight reminds me of Jermaine Taylor-Bernard Hopkins I. Bernard did nothing the 1st 8 rounds and Jermaine did next to nothing. But, next to nothing is more than nothing. Like Peterson did against Garcia, Hopkins won the last 4 rounds big.

But, this is professional boxing and it is judged round by round. 7-5 either was was fair, but I thought Garcia won more total rounds.

At the end of the day, I thought Danny won on points, but Lamont won the fight.

I think the 10 point must system should be ammended. If a round is extremely close, make it 10-9 or even. If there is a definitive or extremely one-sided round, even without a knockdown, make it 10-8.
    They do this.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    They do this.
    No, they truly don't. Bernard won the last four rounds against Taylor as clean and one sided as you could and all 4 were scored 10-9. I am talking about any round where it is completely one sided. Even if the fighter on the short end isn't close to being knocked down or hurt real bad. If you clearly, unequivocally lose the round, start scoring it 10-8. A case could be made for Lamont winning a couple of the final 5 rounds by 2 point margins. If fighter A wins a round more convincingly than fighter B wins his, make it a 2 point round.

Even though consensus scoring is flawed in some ways, perhaps there is a way to tap into it. For example, any time all three judges agree that fighter A wins a round, give that fighter another point, making it a 2 point round. If 2 judges score it for A and one for B, no additional points are given.

You can't always judge the winner and loser by the facial damage done, but last Saturday night, Lamont clearly looked like he won the fight. After 12 rounds, who would you rather have been? I'd say Lamont Peterson.

No, they truly don't. Bernard won the last four rounds against Taylor as clean and one sided as you could and all 4 were scored 10-9. I am talking about any round where it is completely one sided. Even if the fighter on the short end isn't close to being knocked down or hurt real bad. If you clearly, unequivocally lose the round, start scoring it 10-8. A case could be made for Lamont winning a couple of the final 5 rounds by 2 point margins. If fighter A wins a round more convincingly than fighter B wins his, make it a 2 point round.

Even though consensus scoring is flawed in some ways, perhaps there is a way to tap into it. For example, any time all three judges agree that fighter A wins a round, give that fighter another point, making it a 2 point round. If 2 judges score it for A and one for B, no additional points are given.

You can't always judge the winner and loser by the facial damage done, but last Saturday night, Lamont clearly looked like he won the fight. After 12 rounds, who would you rather have been? I'd say Lamont Peterson.
    If I remember correctly, The 7th round of the Oscar De La Hoya - Manny Pacquiao fight was scored 10-8 Oscar was getting pummelled and Tony Weeks seemed like he was hesitatring to jump in there and stop it. During the break Tony weeks came over and said he was going to stop the fight if Oscar kept getting hit and not fighting back. That is the most recent fight that I can remember where there was a 10-8 round without a knockdown.

Fonfara stops Chavez Jr at end of 9th round!!!

Fonfara... bigger, and more volume puncher(nearly tripled Chavez's output) thru the fight. Up thru round 6, I thought Chavez, while being hit, was still the stronger fighter and that Fonfara would wear down... in part to the fact that despite his punching volume, Chavez would keep coming and demoralize him.... but it didn't happen. Fonfara kept teeing off on Chavez despite him charging forward, and put him down for the first time in his career. His corner called it off.

Odd, the fans were throwing beer into the ring after the fight... I can't see how they thought he was winning...and Chavez actually thought he was winning until it was stopped.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    If I remember correctly, The 7th round of the Oscar De La Hoya - Manny Pacquiao fight was scored 10-8 Oscar was getting pummelled and Tony Weeks seemed like he was hesitatring to jump in there and stop it. During the break Tony weeks came over and said he was going to stop the fight if Oscar kept getting hit and not fighting back. That is the most recent fight that I can remember where there was a 10-8 round without a knockdown.
    You made my point for me. That was 2008 and the last time you can remember it happening. I say Mathysee should have had a few against Provodnokov. Yes, that fight was close in rounds and 7-5 either way was fair by todays standards, but Mathysee was the rightful winner and he barely got the nod.

OLYMPIAN

Fonfara stops Chavez Jr at end of 9th round!!!

Fonfara... bigger, and more volume puncher(nearly tripled Chavez's output) thru the fight. Up thru round 6, I thought Chavez, while being hit, was still the stronger fighter and that Fonfara would wear down... in part to the fact that despite his punching volume, Chavez would keep coming and demoralize him.... but it didn't happen. Fonfara kept teeing off on Chavez despite him charging forward, and put him down for the first time in his career. His corner called it off.

Odd, the fans were throwing beer into the ring after the fight... I can't see how they thought he was winning...and Chavez actually thought he was winning until it was stopped.
    Chavez was a sissy. He whined and complained the whole fight and Fonfara wasn't dirty at all. Chavez was the one leading with his head. Then, he did the unthinkable and quit. He aint no Roberto Duran and I don't think he'll ever recover.

His candy ass better get serious about making 168, preferably 160 and he'd better start fighting 3-4 times a year, and while were at it, bring back Freddie Roach. Not that Roach would take him at this point. I love Joe Goosen, but that didn't work out. He looked terrible, like he used to look 5-6 years ago.

I will say JCC Jr's biggest improvement was his english... he barely spoke it a year or so ago.

Page 216 of 240 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast