Page 203 of 240 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 3600
    OLYMPIAN

I think his frustration, and this is just my opinion is how Mayweather has been holding the sport hostage and not fighting the best available fighters. It's pretty apparent to me and I think most people that Floyd sandbagged the Manny fight and not the other way around. I mean Marcos Maidana twice for 60-70 million dollars is great business for Floyd, but despicable for Showtime and the sport of boxing. The Canelo win is good and I would argue his best win since the Castillo rematch.

If his next fight isn't against Manny, Keith Thurman and Kell Brook are the best 2 welterweights available. Amir Khan is an interesting and I guess acceptable fight, because I think he has tools that will trouble Mayweather. 140 has Garcia and Lucas. At 154 a Canelo rematch, Lara or James Kirkland would be acceptable to me.

He can retire at 99-0, but if it's against the caliber of opponent that he's fought throughout his career, then it will be the most hollow undefeated record you'll ever see.

But, Lampley is an HBO nuthugger and should have called a spade a spade when he was still with HBO.

To me floyds virtuoso performance was diego chico corrales.....at the time chico was undefeated 33-0 with like 28 kos....he had issues with weight, but he was a dangerous dude and floyd just blew him away....

Roach flew the idea of manny going back down to 140....said if manny goes down to 140 the "knockouts will comeback"....this coincides with arum and de la hoya meeting to end the "cold war" and roach saying if he could pick ONE fight for manny it would be against danny garcia.....lets see how that plays out.

If Manny went down to 140 and fought Danny Garcia, that would be an exciting fight. They could also fight at a catchweight of 144 to accomodate Garcia and have Garcia's 140 pound titles and Manny's 147 pound title at stake with a winner take all. A little similar to what Floyd did with his 147 and 154 titles exfept that he holds both titles. I personally really wanted Manny to get his 9th title at 160. The Middleweight title. He would have defeated Martinez like Miguel Cotto did. i've been wanting Manny to win the Middleweight title for years and he could have beefed up by now since 2009. (Of course easier said than done for us) Heck if FBBs can transform themselves from skinny to jacked up and add 40-60 pounds to their frame he could too. But I digress....Manny need to dispatch of Algieri first by knockout, then concentrate on the next opponent be it Floyd or anyone else. I'm just concerned with his extra curricular actvities, duties with congress and then after the fight be the playing coach for the PBA a professional basketball league. I'd rather he stick with boxing.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

If they fight at any weight above 140 they cannot have garcias titles at steak....catchweights can be fought for title fights where that weight class is above the catchweight....never below.

Quote Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    I think his frustration, and this is just my opinion is how Mayweather has been holding the sport hostage and not fighting the best available fighters. It's pretty apparent to me and I think most people that Floyd sandbagged the Manny fight and not the other way around. I mean Marcos Maidana twice for 60-70 million dollars is great business for Floyd, but despicable for Showtime and the sport of boxing. The Canelo win is good and I would argue his best win since the Castillo rematch.

If his next fight isn't against Manny, Keith Thurman and Kell Brook are the best 2 welterweights available. Amir Khan is an interesting and I guess acceptable fight, because I think he has tools that will trouble Mayweather. 140 has Garcia and Lucas. At 154 a Canelo rematch, Lara or James Kirkland would be acceptable to me.

He can retire at 99-0, but if it's against the caliber of opponent that he's fought throughout his career, then it will be the most hollow undefeated record you'll ever see.

But, Lampley is an HBO nuthugger and should have called a spade a spade when he was still with HBO.

A rematch with Miguel Cotto is another interesting option.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Garcia is young and fairly muscular....ive read he has had to start camps very early to make 140 and walks around at 170 sometimes

Canelo cant make 154 anymore either....which is why a move to 160 is imminent

More fights this past weekend....

The orlando Solido fight was a barn burner.....7 knockdowns in 10 rounds...all action
    George Groves notched a comeback victory against a tough french dude....was a good fight to watch...

Donaire-Walters good to go

Top Rank made official on Friday what has been known for weeks -- that featherweight titleholder Nonito Donaire and secondary titlist Nicholas Walters will fight.

They’re set to meet Oct. 18 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, and open a top-notch HBO doubleheader headlined by middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin taking on interim titleholder Marco Antonio Rubio in Golovkin’s West Coast debut.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter

Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Twitter »

What’s nice about a card like this is that Top Rank is working with Golovkin promoter K2 Promotions to put on the doubleheader. It’s nice when promoters work together and the fans wind up with a quality card.

With Friday’s announcement also came a couple of quotes from the fighters.

"I am very excited for this fight. We are doing everything we can to be ready for everything Walters brings on Oct. 18," Donaire said.

Walters, who will be making his HBO debut, said, “This is my dream fight. It's now the time to show everyone who is the best 126-pound world champion in the entire world.”

The fight will be Donaire’s third at the StubHub Center. He fought there twice during his 2012 fighter of the year campaign, unifying junior featherweight belts by outpointing Jeffrey Mathebula in a dominant performance and then knocking out former titleholder Toshiaki Nishioka in the ninth round of another dominant fight.

Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) and Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) are both coming off victories on the same card on May 31 in Macau, China.

Donaire won his title by dropping Simpiwe Vetyeka in the fourth round and claiming a fifth-round technical decision when the referee ruled that Donaire was unable to continue due to a cut caused by an accidental head-butt. The fight was sent to the scorecards and Donaire was ahead 49-46 on all three of them.

By beating Vetyeka, Donaire -- “The Filipino Flash” -- claimed a world title in his fourth weight class (fifth, if you count interim belts) and won his second fight in a row since losing his junior featherweight title in a unification fight to Guillermo Rigondeaux in April 2013.

On the undercard, Walters, known as “The Axe Man,” scored a dominant fifth-round knockout of aging former two-division titlist Vic Darchinyan, who had previously been twice knocked out by Donaire. Walters, who has defended his belt twice, has scored knockouts in 10 of his past 11 fights.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/print?id=10465

Tijuana Brass: Orlando Salido TKO 11 Terdsak Kokietgym

by Carlos Acevedo

Orlando Salido might have offered a little prayer to St. Anthony last night in Tijuana between the second and third rounds of his brutal give-and-take-and-give-and-take-a-little-more affair against veteran Thai southpaw Terdsak Kokietgym. For the second time in less than six minutes, Salido was on the canvas, with a bleak look on his face, but, somehow, he went on to recover from three knockdowns to outlast Kokietgym, scoring a savage TKO in the 11th round of a thriller aired on beIN Sports in the United States. With the dramatic win, Salido picked up an interminable TROTLC junior lightweight title and left thousands at the Auditorio Municipal Fausto Gutiérrez Moreno with quickened pulses.

South of the border, hard cases like Salido, Edgar Sosa, Jhonny Gonzalez, and Giovanni Segura draw consistently because Mexican fans do not confuse hip-hop gibberish and ridiculous Tweets with a prizefighter. Unfortunately, networks in America are more interested in creative billing and poisonalities than they are in competitive fights these days. Think of the shrill spills/chills/ thrills shilling of Mauro Renallo, the perpetual “All Access” hype, and Max Kellerman comparing virtually every fighter with the HBO imprimatur to Pernell Whitaker or Sugar Ray Leonard. Real pros, it seems, are not of much interest unless someone like Rod Salka or Blake Caparello is in the opposite corner. While corporate execs double as proactive semioticians (controlling signs and images as often as possible), leathery pros like Salido wind up on beIN Sports putting action in an action sport as often as possible. Indeed, Salido did not get an RSVP from HBO after out-outpointing Vasyl Lomachenko last March. Instead, he drew a raucous crowd down in Tijuana and staged another bloodcurdling show.

Now 33, Salido remains the ultimate cooler, as well as a myth-buster, putting the hurt on any number of false narratives over the years. In 2011, “Siri” interrupted the Juan Manuel Lopez P-4-P yarn, halted the identity politics fairy tale of Orlando Cruz (as well as putting an end, thankfully, to the human-interest treacle hammered out on smartphones by the Kings of Blogese) and kept Vasyl Lomachenko from achieving “history” on HBO. If there is any hokum in the house favorite, Salido is sure to expose it.

Against Kokietgym, Salido, now as rusty and rickety as a 19th-century weathervane, merely had to beat a middling pro with some pop in his left hand. But Salido was in trouble before the opening bell ceased echoing.

Looking to win his first major gewgaw after three previous losses, Kokietgym, 53-5-1 (33), decided early that countering the reckless Salido with a single shot seemed like a perfect strategy. Barely a minute into the first round, Kokietgym, with Salido working off the ropes, landed a short straight left that left Salido on the canvas. But Kokietgym, Bangkok, Thailand, failed to display much of a finishing touch the entire night and his followup was too cautious. When Salido dropped him with a blow that landed well below the belt a minute later, Kokietgym, 130, lost his momentum entirely.

Andre Breton may have died nearly fifty years ago, but a special brand of sporting surrealism can still be found in boxing. In this case it was the laughable Eddie Claudio, who put on a special clinic of buffoonery for all of Baja California to see. Not only did Claudio call the foul a knockdown, but he also, inexplicably, began tolling the count in Spanish. (Later, Claudio would hear phantom bells ringing and intervene to end the sixth round while Salido was in the midst of rallying.)

In the second round, Kokietgym came out stalking and stunned Salido, 130, early with hard lefts. But every time Salido got Kokietgym in striking distance, he would attack to the body with both hands. Only a few seconds before the bell rang to end the round, however, Kokietgym landed an arcing right that moved Salido into position for another straight left that dropped him in a corner on the seat of his pants. For an instant, Salido, a pro since he was 15 years old, looked dispirited. Even so, Salido, Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico, trudged back to his corner for a 60-second respite from pain.

A minute of rest was barely enough. Salido was immediately wobbled in the third, but he began to bang away at Kokietgym with every punch in his arsenal, particularly to the ribs. His bodywork paid off in the fourth when a long-range right to the stomach sent skidding to the canvas. A weary Kokietgym survived the round and landed his share of blows, but Salido seemed on his way to taking control. Sensing an improbable victory, Salido pressed the attack early in the fifth. He battered Kokietgym against the ropes, whipsawing to the body and coming over the top with rights, but Kokietgym struck with yet another counter left and—just like that—Salido was taking another count. A lack of killer instinct cost Kokietgym once more, as he allowed the cagey Salido not only to recuperate but to rally over the succeeding rounds.

If Salido treasures anything, it would have to be a stationary target without infighting skills, and Kokietgym played the role to perfection. On the inside, Salido systematically dismantled Kokietgym, alternating shots from body to head and back again. Although Kokietgym connected with the occasional uppercut—especially late—he was little more than a rag doll in the trenches. Salido scored another knockdown when he hammered a sagging Kokietgym against the ropes and onto his knees in the seventh round.

By that point, Kokietgym was fueled only by heart and determination. He took serious punishment in the late rounds before Salido finally dropped the hammer early in the 11th. A left hook froze Kokietgym momentarily, and Salido ripped a roundhouse right that rendered Kokietgym defenseless against a hollow-point left uppercut. Kokietgym collapsed in ring center, a man whose body had finally given way to a dark art and its even darker effects.

Despite a chin as fragile as rice paper, Salido, whose record improves to 42-12-2 with 29 knockouts, remains one of the brassiest fighters in boxing, and his breathtaking win last night will likely get him another major payday in 2015. But he has been floored at least a dozen times over his last ten fights, and, sooner or later, Salido will see the black lights in the ring. If not, then consider it another miracle, of sorts.

http://thecruelestsport.com/2014/09/...sak-kokietgym/
    Last edited by Ibarramedia; 09-22-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Orlando Siri Salido vs Terdsak Kokietgym Full Fight

Nonito vs walters is a sick fight on paper....hard to pick as well....with nonitos knack for getting bored in fights and throwing showryuken type punches, and walters accuracy and power its a hard fight to pick a winner in......donaire looked good against vetyeka but kind of seemed too eager to end the fight when he got headbutted....he looked terrible against darchiniyan in the rematch, until he clocked vic with that same left hook.....
    Walters demolised vic from jump street....but donaire's power is a game changer, and walters hasnt faced someone with donaire's pedigree at all.....

Canelo and GBP signed a long term deal with HBO....a sign of a change in the tide?

I'm picking Nonito here. Been following his career for a long time. He was the first person to defeat Darchinyan and knocked him out in 5 rounds. I would say Nonito wins by late stoppage or unanimous decision.

Default Canelo alvarez targets manny pacquiao, miguel cotto, and julio cesar chavez jr. With move to hbo

Obviously those are the names, those are the guys that I would like to fight. Yeah, the possibilities are enhanced now being with HBO," stated former jr. middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, who is wasting no time in setting his sights on potential fights with the biggest names that HBO has to offer, including Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. During a recent conference call, Alvarez was joined by Golden Boy Promotions Founder Oscar De La Hoya and HBO Sports President Ken Hershman to announce his newly signed multi-fight agreement with HBO Sports network.

Though it's unclear as to how many fights or how many years the agreement lasts, Hershman made it clear that their intention is for Canelo to break De La Hoya's record of 32 appearances on the network. Thus far, Canelo has already had a total of 8 fights televised on HBO. While fans are sure to be excited about the potential matchups, De La Hoya was quick to remind everyone that you have to take it one fight at a time. "What we have to focus on is one fight at a time. My wish would be for Canelo to fight the very best, fight the big challenges," De La Hoya added. "Canelo is on the same page as me, but it's too premature to talk about opponents now because obviously fighters win and lose."

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article18022.html

OLYMPIAN

I like the move. It's good for boxing. Showtime to me has become the "bad guy". They have too many eggs in the Mayweather/Haymon basket. Canelo vs Manny, Canelo vs Cotto and yes, Canelo vs Chavez Jr. down the road could be huge. Speaking of Jr, when the hell is he gonna fight?

I think Nonito is going to get stopped. Unless.....Walters has a china chin. This is why they fight the fights.

Did you guys see that dumb-fuck Kirkland pulled out of a HBO fight with Gabe Rosado for $270K? Claims he didn't have 8 full weeks to train. His manager then told him they could reschedule it for a card in December and now the $270K isn't enough.

Kirkland turned down a huge payday in 2012 when he turned down a canelo fight....dude is a birdbrain...has people in his ear who constantly tell him he isnt getting paid enough..for who he is $270k is good money....

I actually think walters wins this fight....he has power in both hands and is a very accurate fighter....if you want to use vic darchinyan as a yardstick walters fought this older vic and didnt lose a mintue of any round....dropped him 2 or 3 times. Nonito was losing to vic on each scorecard before he stopped him in that rematch....if nonito decides to jab and set up shots then he wins this fight....he rarely does that tho...

Page 203 of 240 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast