Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 3600
    OLYMPIAN

He's probably a top 5 middleweight, but no way is he a top five light heavyweight. I don't know that he would be a top five light heavyweight in the 1970's and 80's era. Michael Spinx. Bob Foster. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Marvin Johnson. Dwight Braxton later Qawi. Saad Muhammad. Virgil Hill. Add Roy Jones and Dariusz M. from the 90's. Archie Moore and Billy Conn from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Gene Tunney from the early 20th century. That's 12 guys off the top of my head who are better at 175. Saad Muhammad is the only one who I'd give Hopkins a shot against. One more. Thomas Hearns. How would B-hop have fared against the Thomas Hearns who beat Virgil Hill? A couple more. James Toney and Michael Moorer? Was he better than the prime versions of these two guys at 175? Let's not forget that Bernard was taken to school twice by a prime Chad Dawson.

I'm torn on my feelings overall about Hopkins. On one hand, I admire him greatly for what he overcame both out of and in the ring. He truly is a self made man and an all time great fighter. On the other hand, he's a paranoid prick and seems to be an unloyal SOB. Off the top of my head, Lou Dibella, Bouie Fischer and now brother Nazim. At some point, it can't be everyone else. It has to be the man in the mirror.
    Last edited by beefyfan; 12-20-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Default Boxing News and Archives

Quote Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    He's probably a top 5 middleweight, but no way is he a top five light heavyweight. I don't know that he would be a top five light heavyweight in the 1970's and 80's era. Michael Spinx. Bob Foster. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Marvin Johnson. Dwight Braxton later Qawi. Saad Muhammad. Virgil Hill. Add Roy Jones and Dariusz M. from the 90's. Archie Moore and Billy Conn from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Gene Tunney from the early 20th century. That's 12 guys off the top of my head who are better at 175. Saad Muhammad is the only one who I'd give Hopkins a shot against. One more. Thomas Hearns. How would B-hop have fared against the Thomas Hearns who beat Virgil Hill? A couple more. James Toney and Michael Moorer? Was he better than the prime versions of these two guys at 175? Let's not forget that Bernard was taken to school twice by a prime Chad Dawson.

I'm torn on my feelings overall about Hopkins. On one hand, I admire him greatly for what he overcame both out of and in the ring. He truly is a self made man and an all time great fighter. On the other hand, he's a paranoid prick and seems to be an unloyal SOB. Off the top of my head, Lou Dibella, Bouie Fischer and now brother Nazim. At some point, it can't be everyone else. It has to be the man in the mirror.
    At light-heavy, I will give clear edges to:
    Spinks
    Roy
    Moorer
    Holyfield
    And maybe Darius M based on his high punch output - one of the highest I ever saw.

But again we're comparing guys we saw at their primes against B-Hop in his 40's. That fact alone gives him a few more points for greatness others may not have. He also has a style that can neutralize power punchers and is very frustrating fighter to go against. I think to have beaten him a few years ago, speed and punching output is more important than punching power.

Even at 40+, I'd give him 50/50 shot against:
    Foster
    Mustafa Muhammad
    Saad Muhammad
    Braxton/Qawi
    Toney
    Again I think these could be snooze fests, but he wouldn't get embarrassed.

I can't speak for those older fighters.. I'm not sure how many fought at or around 175... there was no super-middleweight, so I'm thinking some of these guys fought in the mid to upper 160's.

I think he'd figure out Hearns, and we know his chin is suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PTB; 12-20-2016 at 09:06 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    At light-heavy, I will give clear edges to:
    Spinks
    Roy
    Moorer
    Holyfield
    And maybe Darius M based on his high punch output - one of the highest I ever saw.

But again we're comparing guys we saw at their primes against B-Hop in his 40's. That fact alone gives him a few more points for greatness others may not have. He also has a style that can neutralize power punchers and is very frustrating fighter to go against. I think to have beaten him a few years ago, speed and punching output is more important than punching power.

Even at 40+, I'd give him 50/50 shot against:
    Foster
    Mustafa Muhammad
    Saad Muhammad
    Braxton/Qawi
    Toney
    Again I think these could be snooze fests, but he wouldn't get embarrassed.

I can't speak for those older fighters.. I'm not sure how many fought at or around 175... there was no super-middleweight, so I'm thinking some of these guys fought in the mid to upper 160's.

I think he'd figure out Hearns, and we know his chin is suspect.

I don't think any of the guys I mentioned would embarrass Bernard. But I do think all of them are better light heavyweights than Bernard based on their resumes and longevity at light heavyweight.

I think he would be a big underdog against Bob Foster. If Foster had come around at a different time, he would have also been Heavyweight champion of the world.

Braxton was an animal at 175 and 190. It took a prime Holyfield to finally stop his run.

As for the older fighters, Billy Conn took Joe Louis to school in their first fight for 12 rounds and got caught and stopped in the 13th. And there is no disputing the greatness of Joe Louis.

Not many guys ever really figured out Thomas Hearns and even though his chin was borderline suspect, I don't think Bernard has the pop or punch output to truly test it.

OLYMPIAN

Wish List for 2017?

Heavyweight - Round robin consisting of Wilder, Parker, Joshua-Klitchko winner and Luis Oritz
    Light heavyweight - Winner of Ward v Kovalev against Adonis "piece of shit" Stevenson.
    Middleweight -For someone, anyone to fight GGG. If not, for GGG to fight 5-6 times and publicly shame and call out Canelo and anyone else who smells of rancid pussy.

Wish List for 2017?

Heavyweight - Round robin consisting of Wilder, Parker, Joshua-Klitchko winner and Luis Oritz
    Light heavyweight - Winner of Ward v Kovalev against Adonis "piece of shit" Stevenson.
    Middleweight -For someone, anyone to fight GGG. If not, for GGG to fight 5-6 times and publicly shame and call out Canelo and anyone else who smells of rancid pussy.
    Here Here!!

I would also add Thurman vs Kell Brook or Erroll Spence... We need an undisputed welterweight champion

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Here Here!!

I would also add Thurman vs Kell Brook or Erroll Spence... We need an undisputed welterweight champion

I was just getting started. LOL.

At 154 there are a lot of good fights to be made. Good talent there. Canelo, both Charlo's, Demetrius Andrade, Lara, Julian Williams (who will be back). Throw Cotto in for good measure although I am hoping he gets clipped by Kirkland and retires. What a crock of shit for this fight to be PPV. Actually, most of the names I mentioned would be viable challengers for the 160lb division as well. Meaning vs GGG!

Welterweight, I agree. I think Kell Brook is the best at 147 (as long as he recovers mentally and physically from the GGG fight". Throw in Thurman, Khan, Spence, Porter, Danny Garcia and eventually Bud Crawford who I think might be the best fighter in the sport.

At 135-140 you have lots of fighters to make good fights with. I'm really exited by the return of Mikey Garcia. I thought he was heading to the top of the p4p list before his two year hiatus. Fights with him, Linares, Crawford and Broner would be a good starting point.

Default Boxing News and Archives

Fight Pick: Thurman vs Garcia
    I don't want to, but I'm leaning Garcia by split decision. Garcia has a penchant for receiving some gifts, and I think he could expose Thurman, who clearly has the power advantage.

I hope I'm wrong, but I will say if Garcia wins decisively, he'll silence. lot of doubters including myself

Last edited by PTB; 02-28-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Great fight tonight... two great fighters at 147... Big respect to Garcia... he's fighting the bigger man, can take a big shot, and still made it very close. Wouldn't mind seeing these guys fight again.

I thought Thurman fought a smart, tactical fight, establishing his power early, then boxing the rest of the way... I thought he may have gotten a bit to conservative down the stretch... and I was like "uh oh" when I heard "split decision".

I thought he had a clear victory 116-112, but it was much closer:
    116-112
    113-115
    115-113

Garcia was very effective with the body shots, but I thought didn't do enough to get the victory.

I still think Spence and Brook are the best in the division, but these guys are worthy champions/contenders for anyone.

Thanks PBC for bringing great boxing back to free TV!

This reminds me of The Super Six WBC a few years ago, but with better talent. They haven't formally named it as such, but clearly the best at 147 have been identified... though I wouldn't put Khan in that list.. Crawford I think could get there, but I'm not sure he's ready yet for 147... I may want to add Shawn Porter to this list.

Still,I can't remember when the pool was this deep in a long time. Please don't mess this up

"Do you wanna be champ of the world!?"

May be the last of the lions from back in day: Dundee, Futch, Stewart, D'Amato, Petronelli brothers...

RIP Lou Duva! 94 years young. One of the last hold overs from a golden era of boxing.
    Last edited by PTB; 03-09-2017 at 12:44 PM.

This should have been a historic night of boxing, with upsets of arguably the best pound for pound fighters in the world.

First off, Srisaket Sor Rungvisai defeats Chocolatito Gonzales by a close split decision, surprising everyone by dropping Gonzales in the first round. Tough gritty fight and what a backstory as Srisaket had to eat from garbage cans to survive... now he's the champion.

It should have been another upset... Daniel Jacobs fought a brilliant tactical fight against GGG, getting up from the canvas in round 4, but not losing focus, moving brilliantly, keeping GGG off balance and not allowing him to get in more than one good shot... There were very few combinations from GGG and he was reduced to loading up trying to land the haymaker.

Jacobs through good combinations, while never hurting GGG, did enough for GGG to respect him, while smothering him at times to neutralize GGG's power. Hi
    s trainer called a great fight, being honest with him about where he was in the fight.... save perhaps the last round where he probably should have urged him to win the round without being reckless.

This may also have been the first time GGG may have shown his age... he'll be 35 shortly, and against these bigger fighters like Jacobs (who technically may not have won the title tonight because he didn't show up at 2nd weigh-in), he didn't show he had the power to hurt them, nor did he show the punch output we are used to seeing, and he did not go to the body to try to slow Jacobs down......I now believe Andre Ward would beat GGG handidly.

If they have a rematch, we may very well see the same outcome. Jacobs KNOWS he can beat him, and he can take GGG's punching power. Even with the knockdown, which was legit, he didn't hurt Jacobs.

As for the scorecards, I can't see how GGG won by 3 rounds on 2 cards 115 - 112.. I know some of those early rounds were close, but I had Jacobs winning 114-113.

Maybe this will expedite the Canelo/Chavez Jr winner fight. GGG looked a bit old and very beatable in this fight, but Canelo and Chavez may be more willing to trade, but again time is running out.
    Last edited by PTB; 03-19-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Been a while since i posted here. Glad to see you guys keeping it up.

Ggg vs jacobs. Close competitive fight. Props to jacobs for not getting goaded into a brawl and playing it smart. Ggg won imo 115-112 is what i had. His jab and dictating the pace, controlling the ring, not taking a step back, accuracy is what won it for me. Close fight. Could have gone to jacobs and i wouldnt be mad. But i think it was a clear win for me. For ppl upset with ggg he could have more but it really speaks to jacobs ability. Oscar already saying this fight drops gggs stock and he has less bargaining power for the canelo fight....all when canelo hasnt fought a 160er with jacobs pedigree....

Chocolatito was the bigger shocker....he won that fight clearly for me. Landed way more punches and had thai dude backing up constantly....that thai guy can fight though. Big puncher and didnt back down. He landed some leather on roman, but he also took 4 to 5 shot combinations at multiple times....likewise i really wanted chocolatito hit 50 wins....judges took that away from him.

This weekend crolla vs linares 2. I think linares beats him again and by a wider margin but they are fighting in uk again. Linares won like 8 rds that last fight but it was a lot closer on the judges cards IMO. He needs to win every round or stop crolla (which probably wont happen) or else he might get jobbed.

Since the pac-khan fight fell apart khan might fight bradley or cotto apparently....bradley i dont mind they should have fought at 140 yrs ago. Cotto will be up at the 150s and i think khan can win that fight if cotto has aged and he doesnt try to exchange...cotto would probably still stop him thought.

Who pacman will fight, no one knows. I hope it isnt jeff horn.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Agree with those pics @ 147. Manny should fight broner next....would be a humbling experience for broner.

Linares wants vasyly lomanchenko next

As per mannys comments i think they were lost in translation but it was wrong for a person in his position to subjugate so many ppl with a comment like that. He should know better.

Well I think his support for dutarte is kind of mandatory. If he is killing people for simple possession, you think he'd hesitate to smoke a congressman? maybe not manny, but he isnt someone you want to be on their bad side. He talked shit about obama in the midst of the US giving them a huge amount of foreign aid. He is a psychopath.

For a Christian person to say what he did, it still seems wrong. Everytime someone wants to judge a homosexual in the name of christianity I would like to remind them about a dude named hey-soos (Jesus) who basically is the foundation of that religion who told them it isnt their job to judge.....Also, a HUGE number of the filipino population is gay.....moreso than anywhere in north america. My wife is filipino and even she was surprised he said that. He lost all of his sponsers, especially Nike.

I think he has realized what he said was wrong, but he should have issued an apology or at least say something to not only save face, but show compassion to ppl......WWJD!?!?

Do you guys think Joseph Parker is the goods? I dont....He gets stopped in his first step up.

I think Errol Spence Beats Brook in a good competitive fight....Brook can fight off the back foot which is why I wouldnt count him out. Still probably has faster hands than spence. In terms of accuracy they are both snipers....with Spence having the edge in power.

Should be a good fight.

Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239 ... LastLast