Page 219 of 240 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3600

REVEALED: The punch statistics that prove Floyd Mayweather was fortunate to beat Manny Pacquiao by unanimous decision

• American website sat its leading commentators down to watch fight again
    • They decided to tally every punch and came up with startling statistics
    • Figures suggest the megafight could have been scored 114-114
    • And it could also be argued that Manny Pacquiao was the clear winner
    • Floyd Mayweather retained his unbeaten record on unanimous decision

As the purses for the Non-Fight of the Century go through the stratosphere never mind the roof – latest projections $240million for Floyd Mayweather and $160m for Manny Pacquiao – so the scoring of Mr Money’s victory falls deeper into question.
    The more pay-per-view returns come in from around the US – currently well over four million US buys at $99.95 a pop – the greater the certainty that we have just witnessed the marketing miracle of The Half-Billion Dollar Fight.
    The more intently the tapes of the fight are scrutinised the greater the head-scratching about the unanimous decision in favour of Mayweather.

One dedicated website in America, Boxing News 24, sat its leading commentators down to monitor the video, first at actual speed, then in slow motion, finally frame by frame.
    The task was prompted initially by astonishment at the official fight statistics, which among other anomalies proclaimed that Pacquiao had connected with less than 20 per cent of his total punches and only nine per cent of his jabs.
    So they decided to tally every blow and in so doing came up with startling numbers which multiply long-standing doubts about the validity of the punch stats, as well as concerns about the verdict itself.

Only by bending over backwards to give Mayweather the benefit of one statistically equal round, by virtue of his higher work rate in those three minutes, and another in which he landed one less punch but would have got the hometown nod could he have achieved even so much as a draw.
    Mark that second round 10-10 and the ninth 9-10 and Pacquiao would be their clear winner.

For what it’s worth, I caused something of a stir by scoring the fight a 115-115 draw from my privileged vantage point at ringside.
    These were the final tallies of the three official judges, all in favour of Mayweather: Glenn Feldman 116-112. Burt Clements 116-112. Dave Moretti 118-110
    These are the website tallies, calibrated round-by-round according to punches thrown, punches landed, the score for each round, with Mayweather’s stats first:

The conclusions here include:
    1) The fight was far closer than the judges, especially Moretti, and most pundits perceived
    2) Many rounds were exceptionally difficult if not too close to call.
    3) The punch stats as counted in the heat of the night are profoundly suspect (one US commentator who had Pacquaio winning asked if they were compiled by ‘kids from the HBO and Showtime offices’ and was told ‘Yes.’)
    4) Pacquiao’s claim that he had won the fight was reasonable, not outrageous as the in-ring interviewer implied.
    5) If watching on television, maybe better to mute the sound commentary.
    6) Mayweather is very wise to keep insisting on home-town advantage in Las Vegas, which benefits from the huge economic impact of his fights.

The conclusions here include:
    1) The fight was far closer than the judges, especially Moretti, and most pundits perceived
    2) Many rounds were exceptionally difficult if not too close to call.
    3) The punch stats as counted in the heat of the night are profoundly suspect (one US commentator who had Pacquaio winning asked if they were compiled by ‘kids from the HBO and Showtime offices’ and was told ‘Yes.’)
    4) Pacquiao’s claim that he had won the fight was reasonable, not outrageous as the in-ring interviewer implied.
    5) If watching on television, maybe better to mute the sound commentary.
    6) Mayweather is very wise to keep insisting on home-town advantage in Las Vegas, which benefits from the huge economic impact of his fights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/box...-decision.html
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    Bro looks like you got it backwards.
    Crazy, I sure did.

Thoughts on Keith Thurman vs Luis Collazo fight.

Just based on how the night was going, I had a feeling an upset might be pending.

Despite all the talk of Keith's power, Collazo, being the bigger man pressed the action, having Thurman back on his heels all night, netting him now the new name, Keith "Run Time" Thurman.
    Thurman's shots I thought were effective, but had difficulty hurting him, making me doubt his effectiveness at bigger weight classes.

That body shot Collazo landed on Keith once again exposes Thurman as a talented, but flawed fighter, who can be hit, and hurt in almost every fight. Had Collazo pressed further and had another 10 seconds, he may have taken him down.

Thurman was able to recover and did enough to win, but his stock I believe went way down... will this be enough to entice Mayweather to fight him?... maybe. One thing for sure though, I think Mayweather beats him... easily. A healthy Pacquiao beats him also.

We'll see how he does against say an Amir Khan or Lamont Peterson. I'd also like to see how he would do against Danny Garcia should he decide to move up.

OLYMPIAN

I think you're selling Thurman short. You look at that body shot he was hit with as "exposing" him. I view it as a sign of incredible conditioning and heart. 99% of fighters would have taken a knee from that shot. Or even been stopped. Luis Collazo is a truth machine. You'd better be able to fight or you will get exposed. Collazo has heart for days and One Time took it from him. He also ruined Robert Guerrero and hurt him like no other.

Floyd could outpoint him at this stage of Keith's development, but Manny would be in trouble.

He's a bad matchup for Khan. He knocks Khan out as soon as he lays hands on him.

Lamont Peterson is a dog. If he gets past the first couple rounds with Thurman it could be a really good fight going down the stretch.

Danny Garcia has hit the wall and One Time will run him out of the ring.

Kell Brook and Keith Thurman are the two best welterweights not named Floyd Mayweather.

By the way, welcome back to the boxing forum..

What happened to Dee?
    Last edited by beefyfan; 07-14-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks Beefy, I took a bit of a hiatus... I meant to post after Adrien Broner's last loss to rub it in.

As for Thurman, "exposing" may have been strong for him, but basically I see him get hit with solid shots every fight. His defense could use some work, and a guy like Floyd, and yes even Manny can pepper him all night.

Still, I think he IS the future of the division.

Yeah Dee is MIA.. hopefully he's still around.

Mayweather to fight Berto in his last fight!?!

http://www.ibtimes.com/floyd-mayweat...ept-12-2016816

A good night for Danny Garcia over Paulie Malignaggi.. not that the outcome for me was ever in doubt given Malignaggie's limited punch power. I never felt he would have anything to make Danny respect him.

But a nice intro to 147 with lots of possible matchups. The 147lb division has gotten even stronger.

I knew Malignaggi was going to get stopped. He does not hit that hard and had a 16 month lay off. Danny Garcia is unbeaten and proven fighter. A world champion title holder even if it is his first foray into 147.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Abel Sanchez: “This is not going to be a Mayweather – Pacquiao fight. Golovkin and Lemieux are going to try and hurt each other!”

Abel Sanchez is quickly becoming one of the most sought after trainers in the sport, as he has taken IBO/WBA middleweight champ, Gennady Golovkin, up the pound-for-pound ranks and has several fighters on the verge of world titles. Sanchez is currently preparing Golovkin for what appears to be the biggest fight in his career, a unification fight against IBF champion, David Lemieux.

In part 1 of this “On The Ropes” boxing radio interview with Abel Sanchez, I discuss with him the October 17th PPV title fight, and what he thinks of Lemieux as an opponent. Sanchez also talks about Nadjib Mohammedi’s recent title shot and why he thinks they came up short. Additionally, Abel discusses the disappointment with the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight and how he thinks that has impacted the sport. Here is what Abel Sanchez had to say.

Jenna J: Gennady Golovkin, is going to have a unification fight on October 17th against David Lemieux. How do you feel about that fight?

Abel Sanchez: We’ve been looking for a big fight. We’ve been looking for somebody to step up, and now that David’s got the IBF title, it makes a lot of sense for us, because Gennady wants to unify. Gennady is a big fan of the middleweight division and he understands where Lemieux stands in that order, so it’s going to be a challenge not only physically, but mentally for Gennady.

Jenna J: Were you surprised that this fight was made, being the fact that Gennady has such a hard time finding big named opponents? David Lemieux obviously has a big fan base in his own right.

Abel Sanchez: I think a lot of us were, but in listening to Oscar De La Hoya, he keeps talking about making the best fights available and making good fights for boxing. I’m surprised that he would let one of his big stars — of course he’s letting him fight Golovkin because he thinks he’s going to win, but it’s good for boxing. It’s good for Oscar, it’s good for everybody all the way around.

Jenna J: Abel, what do you see in David Lemieux as an opponent?

Abel Sanchez: As a plus, I think that he’s a big puncher. He’s a big puncher on a roll, as Golovkin is, but he’s one of these wild swingers that something’s going to land and it’s going to hurt you. As a negative, I think he’s a little too wide for Golovkin, so he’s going to be available for Golovkin’s counter punches. But all in all, that’s a perfect recipe for an explosive fight.

Jenna J: That’s one of the dangers with David Lemieux, because he is a legitimate hard puncher. With Gennady’s fan friendly style, do you think he might actually take things a little bit more cautiously earlier?

Abel Sanchez: I think both guys will be aware of what the other guy has, but we as fans – and I am a fight fan too — we’ve been asking for the best fights to be made. The guys that are wingers and bangers that are gonna go in there and let it all hang out, that’s what we as fans are craving for. This fight got made, these guys are not going to take it easy, this is not going to be a May 2nd fight, it’s going to be a fight that both guys are going to try to hurt each other.

Jenna J: I want to talk about one of your other fighters that recently fought. Nadjib Mohammedi had a title effort against Sergey Kovalev and he came up short, can you tell me a little bit about that fight and what you saw there?

Abel Sanchez: I had a young man named Nadjib Mohammedi, I was in a second training camp with him, and actually the first one was a little short training camp because he had a fight come up real quick. He’s a kid that had a good run in France and he came to the States as the number one contender. I took him on and tried to do the best that we could with what he had.
    Unfortunately for Nadjib he was the number one contender against the best light heavy weight in the world. Sergey Kovalev has proven that he is an elite fighter and we had a difficult time that night. But Nadjib is coming back to camp in middle of September and we’ll try to get the ball rolling again and hopefully get another shot.

Jenna J: Do you ever see a possibility that somewhere down the line that maybe as Golovkin moves up gets a little bit older, that maybe a match up can present itself between him and Kovalev?

Abel Sanchez: Gennady is 33 years old already, he’ll be 34 next April. He’s 33+ right now and a couple of years from now, hopefully he’s got his middleweight titles all in line and has a couple of super middleweight fights.
    If that fight presents itself, that’s going to be really up to them, because they are acquaintances. I don’t know how friends they are but they are acquaintances, they know each other and they have a lot of respect for each other. So whether that fight comes off, it would have to be something that is very monetarily feasible for both of them. But I don’t think that’s a fight that either one of them is looking for.

Jenna J: Earlier in the interview you mentioned how Golovkin vs. Lemieux isn’t going to be like that May 2nd bout. Since you brought that up, I’m just curious what kind of negative impact do you think Mayweather vs. Pacquiao had on the sport of boxing?

Abel Sanchez: Well all of us had been looking forward to that fight, all fight fans had been looking forward to that fight for five years but most people seem to forget that Mayweather has fought 47 times the same way. It wasn’t going to be a bar fight, it was going to be a Mayweather fight. And because Pacquiao was not one hundred percent — as we find out now — that fight ended up being a dud.

For the money that was charged for the fight, it left a negative impact on a lot of the fight fans because a lot of people felt they got took, they didn’t get what they paid for and rightfully so. I don’t think it lived up to the expectations.
    Five years ago I think it would’ve been a different fight. Pacquiao would have been in a better position, maybe not as injured as he claims to have been, but it’s over with. There is nothing we can do about it, we just have to learn from it and understand that Mayweather is going to fight that kind of fight no matter who he fights.

http://ontheropesboxing.com/abel-sanchez-interview-ggg/

Abel Sanchez: “I think that Manny Pacquiao coming back will get a better opponent than Andre Berto”

Gennady Golovkin has been a fighter on the move in 2015, as he has been moving up the pound for pound with each knockout win and title defense. Golovkin is now set to take on IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux and some feel that ‘GGG’ could move all the way up to the second spot with another dominate win.

In part 2 of my “On The Ropes” boxing radio with trainer Abel Sanchez I get his views on Mayweather-Golovkin and if he thinks that fight can still happen. I also talk to Abel about ‘GGG’ facing the winner of Canelo vs. Cotto, and who he thinks would be a bigger match up. Additionally Sanchez gives his views on Golovkin’s pound for pound standing and if he thinks Gennady could ever pass Mayweather on that list. Here is what Abel Sanchez had to say.

Jenna J: Floyd Mayweather he recently finalized a September 12th fight with Andre Berto and while it’s the final fight with a Showtime deal, most people expect him to fight on beyond that fight. Do you think that opens the door to a Golovkin fight if he does continue his career?

Abel Sanchez: I think he fights again, I don’t think it’s over. I think that Mayweather is too much of a historian and too much of a businessman to think that all he wants to do is finish out and hold the record. I think that he’s going to look for challenges beyond that, and if we’re in the mix, Golovkin has professed that as his dream fight for his career. If it happens, I can promise you this, it won’t be a May 2nd fight, Golovkin will stop him.

Jenna J: Pacquiao is set to return somewhere around March or April. What kind of opponent do you think they’ll try to put him in the ring with? Do you think they’ll put him in there with a big time fighter, or do you think they’ll try to ease him back?

Abel Sanchez: No, I think he’s at the level now where there is no tune up fights for him. Unlike this fight coming up for Mayweather, I’m little disappointed that Mayweather took that route. I think that Pacquiao coming back will get a better opponent than Andre Berto. He may fight Khan, I would love to see him and Khan. I think that fight would draw some interest.
    Jenna J: Abel, I want to talk about one of your other fighters. Sullivan Barrera recently came back to the ring and had a tougher than expected fight against a late notice opponent. What happened in that match?

Abel Sanchez: These preparation fights that we have, like Sullivan did on that date, these fights are to prepare him for the eventual fight against Kovalev or Stevenson. These fights do more for them to prepare them because now they understand and they seem to get what it is that is necessary not only to practice, but how much harder they have to work to get to that elite level.

Kovalev, Golovkin, Mayweather, Ward, Klitschko, they got there for a reason and the reason is their hard work, dedication and discipline that they put into the gym. It has to be something that they do 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If they don’t, then we’re not going to ascend to those elite levels.
    That fight for Sullivan showed him that there’s a long way to go. I know there’s a long way to go, but I don’t fight for him, he fights for himself inside the ring. If they don’t get what it is that needs to be done to get to that level, then it will be like Adrien Broner getting in the position that he’s in. He seems to have forgotten how hard it is to stay there. For me it was a good fight because he was able to stop the kid, but he was able to endure some of the hard moments in that fight.

Jenna J: Gennady Golovkin is the interim WBC champion, the WBC has mandated that the Canelo vs. Cotto winner actually has to face the winner of Golovkin vs. Lemieux. Do you think the winner of this fight will actually fight that winner?

Abel Sanchez: If Cotto wins against Canelo, I don’t think Cotto wants anything to do with Golovkin. I think he’s running from Golovkin but it doesn’t matter, we’re not after Cotto, we’re after the WBC belt.
    If Canelo wins, I would say it’s a strong possibility that Canelo fight us, for a lot of different reasons. I think Oscar wanting to make the best fights but more than anything else, I think that Canelo himself being a young gun and having that Mexican following, he’s not going to shy away from a tough fight. I think that he will take us on and then maybe a rematch once whoever wins. This is the kind of fight that you go two to three fights against each other.
    Jenna J: Which one of those opponents do you think is the bigger fight for Golovkin, Canelo or Cotto?

Abel Sanchez: I think Canelo is the bigger fight. I think Canelo brings more of the fan base that Gennady is acquiring also. The Mexicans love their sacrifice and I think anywhere in the States, anywhere in the Southern part of the States, it would be huge. If Canelo beats Cotto then obviously Canelo is the bigger fight. If Cotto beats Canelo I still think Canelo would be the bigger fight because he brings more people to the table.
    Jenna J: Back to the fight between Golovkin and Lemieux, how does that fight play out from the opening bell to the finish?

Abel Sanchez: I think that both guys at the beginning will be aware of each other. I think by the time the second round comes around, I think Golovkin will have established his jab and will be pot shotting Lemieux. In the third round, I think they have a good round between the both of them and in the fourth round Golovkin knocks him out.

Jenna J: Do you think Golovkin could surpass Mayweather in the pound-for-pound ranks without Mayweather retiring?

Abel Sanchez: The pound-for-pound rankings, which is a difficult ranking by the fight fans, I think there’s a possibility because he will have higher level opposition once beating Lemieux. If Mayweather continues to do these kinds of opponents like Berto — fans are forgetful, if you don’t do what they want you to do and they forget the things that you’ve done in the past. If Floyd doesn’t continue to impress and to fight the kinds of fights that will impress the fight fans, then yeah I think it will drop him out of the number one spot.

SORRY BRO'S
    Life happened. Moved to a new home, New job. barely have time to breathe.

Been following boxing when I can.
    Looking forward to GGG vs Lemieux...someone is getting stopped, my bet is on david selling every shot and trying to stun GGG early and getting stopped in the process. He will lose and it will set up a fight between him and Kid Chocolate or some other middleweight that doesnt want anything with GGG. GGG TKO7. dont be surprised if GGG gets hurt at somepoint tho, but he battles through it.

Mayweather-Berto is what I was expecting. If Soto Karass stopped Berto, im sure Mayweather will try to early, then cruise pot shotting.....

Mares vs Santa Cruz looks good.....surprised Haymon is making that one.
    Broner looked like a dick against Porter, Glad porter took that fight.
    Thurman is looking better and better, but everytime he fights someone who isnt a stiff, he gets touched and looks vulnerable but still pulls it out based on power. I'm starting to believe in him a bit more......

Garcia vs Paulie was what I expected.....to me Garcia made his bones against lucas, but he hasnt fought a decent fight since. He was good with paulie, but he still swings wildly. it was nice to see him not rely on that left hook so much, he took advantage of paulie hanging his left hand low and landed that overhand right multiple times.

Sorry for the Hiatus boys. I miss you guys (no homo.......well, some homo.....just a bit). I will try to stick around a bit more. Hope all is well with you guys.

GGG -Limieux and Canelo- Cotto are fights i'm looking forward to in the near future. The winners of both bouts should face each other.

Welcome back Dee!!

I'm hoping for a slobberknocker between GGG and Limieux.

Canelo/Cotto should be more measured, but hopefully still violent.

OLYMPIAN

Welcome back Dee! Hasn't been the same without you. (Not too much homo, just a smidge).
    Are you still in the Toronto area? The Jays seemed to be finally clicking. Did you see Adonis Stevenson's next sparring match against Tommy Karpency is gonna be in Toronto?

A SLOBBERKNOCKER INDEED!!!

Yeah I'm still in Toronto. Moved to a different part of the city.
    The Jays are unbelievable right now. I know whenever they start winning people want to start bringing up '92 and '93 in comparison. But this year actually feels like this.....the price and tulo trades late in the season remind me of the late move the jays made for ricky henderson in 1993.....I really hope they take it. This city needs a team they can believe in.

That fight will be in toronto. Lennox Lewis (my fave fighter personally) was involved in bringing that fight here....I will be out of the country that night but im glad more fights are coming this side of the border.......if GGG vs Lemieux was in Montreal, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Page 219 of 240 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast