Page 218 of 240 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 3600

Pacquiao’s shoulder injury kept secret from public

LAS VEGAS—Now, it can be told: Manny Pacquiao sustained an injury to his right shoulder entering the last three weeks of training camp at the Wild Card gym in Hollywood.
    That was the reason for the secret training sessions.
    Bob Arum, head honcho of Top Rank Promotions, made the disclosure on Saturday night (Sunday in Manila) in the postfight news conference of Pacquiao versus Floyd Mayweather Jr. held in the ring where the two welterweights battled for 12 rounds less than two hours earlier.
    Though the injury, hidden from the media and the public alike, was healing, it was still bothering Pacquiao, Arum said.
    This prompted Bruce Trampler, Top Rank matchmaker, to approach the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC), at 7 p.m. on Saturday to ask if Pacquiao could take painkillers under the supervision of team doctors.

Request for painkiller denied

NAC commissioner Francisco Aguilar, however, declined the request because the fight was but two hours away and it would be difficult to ascertain the possible effects of the drugs (Lidocaine, Celeston and Bupivacaine) on the performance of Pacquiao against Mayweather.

For another, Aguilar noted that the request was made verbally, not in writing.
    Arum claimed, however, that they actually asked the NAC for approval of the drugs to be administered to Pacquiao’s shoulders five days before the fight.

Unlike in the early stages, when the Philippine media, especially the television networks, were granted access to Pacquiao’s training, chief trainer Freddie Roach ordered a total lock-down of Wild Card.
    In one stretch, Pacquiao even missed three straight sparring days, the first time it had happened in the Filipino icon’s training camps.
    Reasons given that time were that Pacquiao was approaching peak form too fast and Roach had to grant him a training break, and that Pacquiao did not need too many sparring rounds anymore.
    Hurting again in 3rd round
    According to Roach, Pacquiao complained about his shoulder hurting again in the third round of the 12-round battle for the unified world welterweight crown.
    Arum said the injury was similar to what Kobe Bryant suffered once.
    “Athletes always fight hurt. We were disappointed the injury popped again in the third round. He re-injured it in the game. It happens in every store,” said Arum.
    Unfortunately, it happened on Saturday night in the fight against Mayweather.

http://www.inquirer.net/pacquiao-files/article/180640
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Mayweather Still Unbeaten at 48-0, What’s the Fuss, Pacquiao Winner in the Hearts of the Majority

The so-called “Bout of the Century” between Filipino Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather turns out to be an ordinary, boring, disappointing, less entertaining and very disgusting fight no thanks to Mayweather pulling out all kinds of tricks just to survive the fight, even at the expense of losing entirely his face and dignity.

Okay it is given that Mayweather has an edge in hitting his target with pinpoint accuracy and had piled up more points than his opponent but these are simply overwhelmed with the displeasing things he’d done on the ring.
    What he did on the fight is running like a chicken, docking like a duck and hugging like a leech. He also resorted to clinching, head-locking, pushing, elbowing and low-blowing.

His antics are way too funny. And come to think of it, he has the edge, even before the match started like having the advantage in heft, height, and reach. He is the bigger of the two but he ended up being chased upon all throughout, like robber being tailed by his pursuing hapless victim. He even taunted several times, but he is doing these while covering his face well, very funny indeed.

Many bashers, haters and throngs of staunch supporters of Pacquiao are now throwing all sort of things and even the toilet sink now in the Internet, saying things like Floyd Gayweather (old alias), Mr. Pussy (old alias), Floyd Mayhugger (new cuter and more adorable moniker), Mr. Boo (new and appropriate) and the list goes on.

Olympic gold medalist and a pay-per-view king himself Oscar De La Hoya, who also happens to be a well-respected and courageous boxer during heydays has dared Floyd to be great by being courageous on the ring, not by being just being so smart in hacking out victories.

At the end of the bout, Mayweather received a very well-deserved boos from the crowd, which is not surprising at all.

On the other end, the loser of the bout, Manny Pacquiao, won the hearts of the vast majority. Many supported and egged on him before and during the bout, and cheered wildly on him when the bout ended.

Though Pacquiao’s record is not as impressive as that of Mayweather’s, still, millions and millions of people worldwide love him for his bravery and uncanny boxing skills on the ring. Pacquiao fought well to the very end. He is the betting underdog and undersized when compared with his opponent, but he gallantly and relentlessly challenged and ran after Mayweather all throughout.
    Pacquiao’s sorry loss which looks like a victory into the eyes of many in different perspectives will inevitably put a permanent dent in Mayweather’s current boxing career and his pursuit for greatness (as if, he is great in the first place) in the future.

The boxing’s only eight-time division winner will surely join the ranks of great fighters the world has produced, Like Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Leonard, and the long list goes on.
    While Mayweather will always be remembered for his monotonous fights and cowardice.

http://www.dailytimesgazette.com/may...-anyways/6801/

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Mayweather vs Pacquiao Prediction

Mayweather vs Pacquiao Post-Fight thoughts

ESPN First Take - Floyd Mayweather Defeats Manny Pacquiao - Skip Bayless Gets Angry!

Media Quotes: Canelo Alvarez & James Kirkland

Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) and Texas knockout artist James “Mandingo Warrior” Kirkland (32-1, 28 KOs) participated in an international media conference call on Tuesday, April 21 to discuss their upcoming 12-round super welterweight bout set for May 9 at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The super welterweight fight will also be televised live on May 9 on HBO World Championship Boxing ® at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT.

CANELO ALVAREZ, Former WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion:
    “Returning to Texas has motivated me tremendously. To have the support form the fans and the love, is what gets me to train harder.
    “You are always learning in this game. Going back to the gym to correct mistakes. Sometimes opponents are willing to participate. We are going to do our part and hope the fans are very happy.

“I am ready for whatever comes to my career. I fight hard; I train hard. Whatever happens, I am ready for it. “We know what James brings to table. A very dangerous, strong, come forward fighter. We are sparring and training. We have to be more intelligent and be prepared come fight night.
    “I will fight anywhere. As long as the fans go, enjoy the fight, and walk out happy, I will fight anywhere.

“Kirkland is a very dangerous because his punch is very powerful, very extreme. His punches come from all angles. But, mostly his power, he can beat a fighter with one punch. My goal is to fight the best in the world and the fans get what they want. Independent of the styles, I want to fight the best. We are preparing knowing what we have in front of us.

“People are talking and the majority believe that the fight will end in a knock out, that it won’t go the distance. But, I am ready to go 12-hard rounds.
    “At this time, my only focus right now is James Kirkland. There have been talks of my next fight but right now my focus is on James Kirkland, there is nothing else.

“I am working hard, training hard, taking the tough fights, the biggest fights. And only time will tell and the people will tell. In the meantime, I will just be doing my job.”

JAMES “MANDINGO WARRIOR” KIRKLAND, Super Welterweight Contender:
    “I appreciate Golden Boy Promotions, SMS Promotions, HBO and everyone sponsoring the fight, everyone that is backing this fight up. Thank you to the fans and the support that has been there from day one. It has been the motivation I need for the fight. I am doing everything I need to do for May 9 to get ready and I am ready for the opportunity.

“I have been preparing myself for an opportunity like this and needed to take time to learn more about boxing. I am prepared. One thing I can say is that the course that takes place should be a positive one and I never stop being in the gym, stop working.

“I am definitely encouraged and anxious. It’s not something I am proving to myself and the city, but to my fans. Kirkland is a warrior.

“If the fight was scheduled for 20 rounds, I would prepare to go 30 rounds. I plan on it being an action-packed fight, round after round. Whatever amount of rounds, I am ready to go all the way. I put in the work and in the training.
    “I’m a fighter. I definitely feel like I have the power, will, confidence, speed, heart, and determination to beat Canelo. I feel I have the whole package. After my last fight, I have been putting myself in a position with my training so that on May 9, I can let it all show.

“This is one opportunity I have been wanting. This is a must do and a fight that fans want to see. I am prepared to make big things happen and believe this is my opportunity. This opportunity is going to bring the next best thing to my career.

“I definitely feel like I have a lot to lose and a lot is on the table for this fight. This is something that is destined for me-to take care of business on May 9. And, I feel like I have the right team behind me and supporting me.
    “I am a force of nature that overrides. With heart, my heart is bigger. When it comes to will, no one has my determination. With speed, no one has my speed. When people ask about it, it is a fight you don’t have to worry about. Canelo and I will meet in the middle of the ring and that is where it will all take place.

“I’m a lot more strategized with defense, at the same time being able to move and adjust. The things you’ve seen me lacking, these are the things you’re going to see Kirkland advance and enhance in his ability.”
    OSCAR DE LA HOYA, Founder and President of Golden Boy Promotions:
    “May 9 should be an explosive night, one to remember.
    “We would like to thank HBO, Minute Maid Park, Leija*Battah Promotions, SMS Promotions and all the sponsors for making this event possible.
    “Canelo is a fearless fighter who is ready to take on the best fighters in his division.”

CURTIS “50 CENT” JACKSON, Chairman and CEO of SMS Promotions:
    “I am very excited about the event. Mayweather brought me and Kirkland together. Between the Canelo-Kirkland fight and the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, we will see what this sport is all about.
    “You will see the best version of James Kirkland on May 9.
    “May 9 is going to be exciting, everyone tune in if you can’t be there. Go down to the stadium and get your tickets now before they sell out.”

MIKE BATTAH, President of Leija Battah Promotions:
    “We are looking forward to a mega fight, a historical event in Houston. You can’t miss it.

“James Leija Jr. will be doing his pro debut fight and it will be something to see.” JESSE JAMES LEIJA, Texas Boxing Legend and Founder of Leija Battah Promotions: “Boxing is a true sport. The best man is going to win on May 9. We have two fighters who can win in one punch. We have one fighter who is super strong, Kirkland, and the other, a technician, Canelo. It is going to be who can overcome the other.
    “And, I am excited my son will be making his pro debut as well. It’s a great night for Texas. A great night of boxing.”

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlin...ames-kirkland/

OLYMPIAN

What do you think Ibarra? Legit excuse? Seems to make sense. I don't know. That makes sense as to why his punch output was so dismal. But did you notice the lack of bounce in his step? The angles that I thought were the key to him scoring didn't manifest either.

Quote Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    What do you think Ibarra? Legit excuse? Seems to make sense. I don't know. That makes sense as to why his punch output was so dismal. But did you notice the lack of bounce in his step? The angles that I thought were the key to him scoring didn't manifest either.

Yes. Very Legit and it all makes sense to me now. They mysteriously stopped sparring for about a week under the guise of peaking too soon. Changes in training emphasis. If you watch the fight, you will notice that he really did not use his right hand and the "Manila Ice". Even with Floyd being defensive and running around, the "normal Manny" would just tsag him with a bunch of punches. Some would hit, some would miss but there would be volume. I rewatched the De La Hoya fight, the Algieri fight and the Mayweather fight, it did not make sense. His mobility was even less than that of the Mosely fight. And that is they fight were people said that he started to lose a step.

Now I can imagine the pressure to go through the fight injured or not. The fight took so long to make and a postponement would cost millions of $$$, not to mention people who paid for the tickets, plane fare, hotel reservations, time off,etc would be screwed. I discussed this with friends and we were actually thinking Floyd may come up with a phantom injury and postpone the fight since he was the one reluctant to fight Manny before it actually happened. He postponed his fight with Marquez because of injury before.

Honestly, if the fight happened 5 years ago, I would have gone to Vegas to see the fight. I did not go because of my concerns about the fight getting postponed or cancelled a t the last minute despite contracts being signed. Weird things have happened in other events before.

I was skeptical up to fight night. I told a few people that I would not believe it is on until I saw the ringwalk and they went through round one. That is how skeptical I was. And yeah, I bought the fight.

OLYMPIAN

I'm with you. Somewhere in this boxing thread I even posted a prediction that the fight would get pushed back til September because someone would get hurt.

As far as his lack of footwork? I wonder if the shoulder pain was so bad that bouncing around caused discomfort? Haven't heard anything about his chronic leg cramping.

What pisses me off so much about Floyd is that he could have stepped on the gas and really put it on Manny and just about everyone else he fights. I think he is capable of much more than he puts out.

Oh well. If Kirkland doesn't get clipped in the 1st two rounds this weekend, I think we could see something special. That dude has a "cold" chin and if you don't stop him early, he seems to take punches better and better and comes on like an animal.

I wish ESPN would do right by boxing and talk about this fight just a little.

I think Canelo wins by 11th round tko. Or it could be a decision.

OLYMPIAN

I actually had a dream last night that Kirkland wins by TKO in round 3. If that happens, I'm buying a lottery ticket next week.

I actually had a dream last night that Kirkland wins by TKO in round 3. If that happens, I'm buying a lottery ticket next week.

Good luck to you Brother.

I got some intel emailed to me earlier.

TIMELINE (US time): Pacquiao injury

April 4—Manny Pacquiao sustains a shoulder injury while throwing a right hook and his arms then get entangled with those of his sparring partner.

April 6—The injury is examined at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic, and the Pacquiao camp finds out about the tear. They do not disclose the injury right away, hoping it would heal.

May 2—6:08 p.m.—Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) commissioner Francisco Aguilar learns about the request of Pacquiao to take painkillers for his injured shoulder. Aguilar declines the request because the fight was but two hours away and it would be difficult to ascertain the possible effects of the drugs on Pacquiao’s performance in the ring. He also stops Pacquiao from bringing in energy drinks and his own water.

Around 8 p.m.—Pacquiao fights Mayweather in a 12-round megabout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Mayweather wins via unanimous decision.

Around 9 p.m.—Bob Arum, head of Top Rank, discloses in the postfight news conference that Pacquiao sustained an injury to his right shoulder. Arum says five days before the fight, the NSAC was asked to approve the drugs to be administered to Pacquiao’s shoulders.
    Aguilar says the Pacquiao camp did not reveal the injury in the medical questionnaire filed by Pacquiao’s handlers during the weigh-in on Friday, the deadline for revealing such injuries.

May 4—A source from the Pacquiao camp tells the Inquirer about a series of incidents before the fight that convinced Pacquiao that the NSAC was favoring Mayweather, citing its approval for the American to have painkiller shots on his injured fist.

Top Rank and Pacquiao issue a statement, saying that after undergoing tests on the sustained injury and consultation with Arum and his advisers, they concluded that Pacquiao could train and fight Mayweather on May 2.
    The statement adds that Pacquiao’s advisers had notified the US Anti-Doping Agency of the injury and the treatments being proposed by the doctors during training and on fight night. The agency confirmed in writing that the proposed treatments, if used, were completely allowed.

Michael Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser, tells New York Daily News he is the one who answered the questionnaire and claims he checked the wrong box. “It was just an inadvertent mistake… We weren’t trying to hide anything. I just don’t think I read the questionnaire correctly,” he says.

Pacquiao undergoes medical checkup at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles in the afternoon, and later says an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan shows he had sustained a tear on his right shoulder rotator cuff and needs to undergo surgery.

Bro looks like you got it backwards.

Canelo Alvarez Vs James Kirkland 720p HDTV Full Fight 05.10.2015 Fight Sports Live Version

Max Kellerman on Manny Pacquiao's Rotator Cuff injury - May 9th 2015

Older training videos but it sure pumps me up to do my workouts.

Training Motivation: Canelo Alvarez - We Own It!

Training Motivation: Miguel Cotto - The Fire Still Burns

Training Motivation: Manny Pacquiao - No Easy Way Out!

Training Motivation | Manny Pacquiao | Heart's On Fire

Page 218 of 240 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast