Default Coffee Linked to Vision Loss

Coffee Linked to Vision Loss

By Lisa Collier Cool
    Oct 05, 2012

A new Harvard study has discovered a high incidence of vision problems among men and women who drank three or more cups of coffee a day. The research, published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, linked heavy consumption of caffeinated coffee with increased likelihood of developing exfoliation glaucoma, an eye disorder that affects about 10 percent of adults over age 50 and can lead to vision loss or blindness.

Specifically, the researchers reported that adults who drank three or more cups of coffee daily were 34 percent more likely to develop exfoliation glaucoma, compared to those who abstained from coffee. Women with a family history of glaucoma were at the highest risk, with their threat of exfoliation glaucoma soaring by 66 percent if they quaffed three or more cups of java per day.

Here’s a closer look at the study and what it means for coffee-lovers.

What is exfoliation glaucoma?

Glaucoma, the second leading cause of blindness in the world, affects 60 million people. It is a group of painless diseases that can damage the optic nerve, if untreated. Typically, this damage results from increased pressure within the eye, usually due to fluid buildup.

Think of the eye as a sink in which the faucet is always running and the drain is always open. A tiny gland behind the iris produces fluid to nourish the cornea and lens, then the fluid flows out of the eye through spongy tissue called the trabecular network, explains the Glaucoma Foundation.

Exfoliation glaucoma, sometimes called “exfoliation syndrome,” is marked by tiny, dandruff-like flakes building up on the lens of the eye. The flakes are rubbed off as the lens of the iris (colored part of the eye) moves, causing the spongy tissue that normally serves as the eye’s drain to get clogged. The result is increased pressure, sometimes very high pressure, inside the eye. The cause of exfoliation glaucoma is unknown, but genetics appear to play a role.

How was the study conducted?

The Harvard study was the first to link heavy coffee consumption and glaucoma risk in Americans by analyzing data from nearly 79,000 women in the well-known Nurses’ Health Study (NHS) and more than 42,000 men in the Health Professionals Followup Study (HPFS).

The researchers looked at men and women ages 40 or older who did not have glaucoma at the start of the study, and had received eye exams from 1980 (for women in the NHS) or 1986 (for men in the HPFS) to 2008. The study looked at health questionnaires the participants filled out about consumption of caffeinated drinks, including coffee, and their medical records (to identify cases of exfoliation glaucoma).

The analysis showed a significant rise in incidences of exfoliation glaucoma among people who drank three or more cups of coffee, but nolink between drinking other caffeinated beverages, such as soda or tea.
    The Scandinavian Link

"Scandinavian populations have the highest frequencies of exfoliation syndrome and glaucoma," author Jae Hee Kang, ScD, of Channing Division of Network Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, told Science Daily.
    "Because Scandinavian populations also have the highest consumption of caffeinated coffee in the world and our research group has previously found that greater caffeinated coffee intake was associated with increased risk of primary open-angle glaucoma [another form of the disease], we conducted this study to evaluate whether the risk of exfoliation glaucoma…may be different by coffee consumption,” Kang added.
    Watch Out For These 8 Dangerous Ingredients
    Should you cut down on coffee?

As I’ve reported previously, coffee has a number of health perks, including reducing risk for superbug infections, diabetes, strokes, and breast and prostate cancer. Kang emphasizes that further study is necessary to find direct evidence that heavy consumption of caffeinated coffee is indeed a risk factor for exfoliation glaucoma.

“If [the findings are] confirmed,” she told HealthDay News, “those at risk of exfoliation glaucoma—particularly those with a family history of glaucoma—would be recommended to limit their intake [of coffee] to less than three cups per day.”

Several eye experts say that they’re not cutting down on java—at least not yet, because this type of study is not designed to prove a cause-and-effect relationship. Therefore, variables other than drinking large amounts of caffeinated coffee may explain the apparent association with glaucoma.
    10 Ways to Beat Fatigue That Are Safer than Caffeine
    Who is at risk for glaucoma?

Because glaucoma is painless, many people don’t know they have it until irreversible vision impairment occurs. To detect it in the early, treatable stages, the Mayo Clinic recommends getting a comprehensive eye exam every three to five years starting at 40 and annually starting at 60.
    Screening is particularly crucial if you have any of these risk factors, says the Glaucoma Foundation:

• Being over 60. You are six times more likely to develop glaucoma if you’re older than 60.
    • Family history. Having close relatives with glaucoma multiples your risk by four to nine times.
    • Steroid medication use. One study found that heavy use of inhaled steroids for asthma boosted glaucoma risk by 40 percent.
    • Ethnicity.African-Americans are six to eight times more likely to develop glaucoma than Caucasians. People of Hispanic ancestry are also at higher risk.
    • Eye injury. Blunt injuries that “bruise” the eye can lead to glaucoma, either soon after the injury or years later. Use protective eyewear for activities that may cause eye injury, such as sports like boxing or baseball, or using power tools.
    Watch #askDave on RxMuscle.com. Catch previous episodes HERE

If this is true what will happen to Chris Aceto ??

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by gilbrt View Post
    If this is true what will happen to Chris Aceto ??
    Aceto will probably have a healthy prostate, but will be completely blind!

I really question some of these surveys. Even if it's big-time Harvard.
    Last edited by cmd; 10-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.

RX MEMBER

For whatever reason, ...within the last few weeks ...I have read several articles concerning the over indulgence of certain particular foods and health concerns. The main health scare discussed in almost all of the articles ...was primarily the effects on the kidneys and then the liver. All sorts of food and some supplements items were discussed in various articles. Excess protein was mentioned in a few articles, but it wasn't the only item.

I guess the key is to rotate ones diet, don't over indulge and "truly" eat only what one needs in a minimal fashion. Diet/nutrition is a tough science to grasp. The teenager, young adult, middle aged and elderly all have different dietary requirements. One's genetic makeup and activity level also controls nutritional requirements. Calorie intake, food choice and manipulating one's metabolism (eg. increased muscle mass via exercise) ...appear to be the only thing an individual can master ...unless, that individual partakes in steroids, growth hormone ...etc. Drugs opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Bodybuilding fascinates or shocks most people ...when observing how intensely an individual can alter one's body ...even if it's for a limited time ...usually a few days. Most of us on these forums enjoy bodybuilding, but it is an unnatural act. I don't believe there is one pro bodybuilder that could have achieved the massive growth without drugs ...and these prescription drugs have to be taken again and again to achieve top contest shape. I think there are way too many non-professional folks taking steroids, growth hormone ...etc. ...either incorrectly or shouldn't be taking them at all.

It would be nice to see Rx Muscle create a video show dedicated to diet/nutrition and food preparation for the 'average' individual ...possibly using the supplements they advertise. A healthy and more realistic approach for everyday folks who enjoy going to the gym. Not an extreme pre-contest diet plan that only a few dozen (if that) pro bodybuilders will use only for a few miserable, torturous days/weeks ...to attain what is considered body perfection for a very short, short time window ...not very healthy or advantageous for the average Joe. There are only a few Mr and Ms Olympias to date ...there are ...I believe ...almost 7 billion people in the world today. A realistic nutritional approach to the masses (and novice bodybuilders in the off season) who practice bodybuilding everyday ...seems like an interesting video show to me ...and a winner for Rx ...especially with their sponsors.

meh
    IronMag Labs DISCOUNT CODE: ebfitness15

IronMag Research DISCOUNT CODE: ebfitness15

RX Muscle Team Canada Taylor Normandeau's Avatar

I'm drinking a cup right now...I think. I can't tell I'm too blind

For me I do a lot of night work so lots of coffee is a must for me . I guess il just take my chances with it ...

RX MEMBER

i just cant get past the fact that when you cut all caffeine, it makes you feel like you have been poisoned.its fucking terrible lol.

Blindness here I come, I spend much of my spare time at work sitting at a cafe watching vagrants go about their daily insanity.

RX Muscle Team Canada Taylor Normandeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARVD View Post
    i just cant get past the fact that when you cut all caffeine, it makes you feel like you have been poisoned.its fucking terrible lol.
    For a few days or so, after it's out you generally feel better....or so I hear, I'm too scared haha

One of a kind!

~ I love me my coffee and woe betide anyone who tries to take it from me!! I do have to take a week off now and again (during which I usually feel like shite) as I find the caffeine builds up over time and ends up having no effect unless I double it up again and again and again ... It might be time to admit I have a problem as it has to be bad that I'd risk going blind rather than give up my morning Java?? ~