Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Board Sponsor NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM's Avatar

Default All natural protein bars,better protein bars,best protein bars,healthy protein bar

http://needtobuildmuscle.com/store.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypa ge-ask.tpl&product_id=7&category_id=1<---- all natural protein bars,better protein bars,best protein bars,healthy protein bars

Protein bars are the "portable", mess-free alternative to meal replacement powders. As you know, I'm a big fan of meal replacements -- they are a relatively cost-efficient way of replacing a high-carb, high-fat meal with a high protein, low fat, low-to moderate carbohydrate meal. Plus, meal replacements take all the guesswork out of eating 5-7 small meals a day. Protein bars (in theory, anyway), are supposed to do the same thing.

And what do protein bars have over meal replacements?

Convenience.

As much as I like them, there is a down-side to meal replacements. Some don't mix so well without a blender. And of course, there's the small matter of finding something to mix the shake with! And if you're somebody who spends a lot of time in your car...

Well, large liquid meals and traffic jams just don't mix. ;-)

So protein bars would seem like the obvious alternative, right? Well...

Yes and no.

Here's the problem...

It's much more difficult to create a great-tasting, moist, and generally high quality bar without adding a ton of sugar, corn-syrup, and/or fructose. Obviously, this is not an issue with meal replacement powders, since you need to mix them with water or skim milk.

In short, the problem with most bars is that the quality of the bar is directly proportional to how it tastes. In short...

The better the bar is for you...

The worse it tastes.

The better a bar tastes...

The worse it is for you.

It's a rather sad reality.

If that isn't bad enough, there's another issue here...

There is a serious problem with product labeling. In a recent series of tests performed by ConsumerLabs (ConsumerLab.com - independent tests of herbal, vitamin, and mineral supplements), 60% of the 30 bars tested failed to meet their labelling claims.

Wow!

Here's some of the disturbing statistics...

o 1 out of 12 protein bars met the labelling claims.

o 1 out of 8 meal replacement bars met the labelling claims.

o 4 out of 10 diet
    bars met the labelling claims.

o 2 products exceed their claimed amounts of fat.

o 50% of bars tested exceeded their claimed level of carbohydrates, some by a significant amount.

Note: The main reason for this is that a major ingredient in most of these bars - glycerin (used as a sweetener, and to keep the product moist), is not regarded as a carbohydrate by most manufacturers.

So they don't include glycerin content in the total tally of carbohydrates, "because it has a minimal effect on blood sugar levels."

Um... so what? There are plenty of bona fide carbohydrates that have a minimal effect on blood sugar levels, and they still count as carbohydrates, right?

Exactly!

The United States Food And Drug Administration says glycerin IS a carbohydrate, and that's good enough for me.

This is deceptive marketing, plain and simple...

This is a "low-carb" bar simply because 2/3 of the carbs in the bar aren't included in the final count. Nice.

To be fair though - bars that are formulated with glycerin don't
    cause the same "energy crash" that I find with traditionally-sweetened bars.

I'd just like to have it included in the total carbohydrate count so I REALLY know what I'm getting.

Isn't that fair?

Of the bars that passed, 40-70% of the calories were provided by carbohydrates, mostly sugars.

In other words, "protein bars" is a deceptive term, since most bars contain far more carbs than protein. ConsumerLabs says a typical bar contains...

o 49% of calories from carbohydrates, mostly sugars.

o 29% of calories from proteins.

o 22% of calories from fat.

The ConsumerLabs report is a little annoying though...

They don't report which bars failed their test. In other words, they list and report on the 12 out of the 30 bars that passed, but nowhere do they show which bars failed. Conspicuous in their absence however are these brands...

o Labrada

o Muscle-Tech

o Advantage (Atkins) Bars

o American BodyBuilding

o Jenny Craig

And of course, just because a bar passes the ConsumerLabs test does not mean it is worth buying...

It just means it meets its label claims, and that all the nutrients are reported in the Nutrition Facts panel.

In order to get a better grasp on the whole "protein bar extravaganza" One must become very wise to label laws and ingredient facts and knowledge.

quick look at some of the ingredients that are in most protein bars. Keep in mind this is just the tip of the iceberg

soy protein=crap

Natural Grain Dextrin= ya sure sounds nice don't it.

Dextrins are a group of low-molecular-weight carbohydrates produced by the hydrolysis of starch. They have the same general formula as carbohydrates but are of shorter chain length. In other words shitty useless carbs.
    They are used as water-soluble glues, as thickening agents in food processing so only reason its there is because it was cheap and it bad the bar harder.

Glucose Syrup= HAHAHAHA some label tricks on this one. Glucose Syrup=Technically any liquid starch hydrolysate of mono, di, and higher saccharides. Again label trick. This could be corn syrup, High-fructose corn syrup, or a fructose/glucose syrup bland of any kind. Point being the fact that they chose to call it (Glucose Syrup) rather then its exact name shows and intent to hide something. Ether way what ever it is is more shitty worthless (very un natural) and no good for you in any way shape or form.

Canola= Man I am sick of this fucking oil
    where does canola oil come from? Olive oil comes from olives, peanut oil from peanuts, sunflower oil from sunflowers; but what is a canola? There is nothing in the name enlighten us,

There are plenty of official Canola sites lauding this new "wonder" oil with all its low-fat health benefits. It takes a little longer to find sites that tell the less palatable details.

Here are just a few facts everyone should know before buying anything containing canola. Canola is not the name of a natural plant but a made-up word, from the words "Canada" and "oil". Canola is a genetically engineered plant developed in Canada from the Rapeseed Plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants.
    Canola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to AgriAlternatives, The Online Innovation, and Technology Magazine for Farmers, "By nature, these rapeseed oils, which have long been used to produce oils for industrial purposes, are... toxic to humans and other animals". (This, by the way, is one of the websites singing the praises of the new canola industry.)

Rapeseed oil is poisonous to living things and is an excellent insect repellent. Rape is an oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base and as a illuminate for color pages in magazines. It is an industrial oil. It is not a food. Rape oil, it seems, causes emphysema, respiratory distress, anemia, constipation, irritability, and blindness in animals and humans.

Rape oil was widely used in animal feeds in England and Europe between 1986 and 1991, when it was thrown out. Remember the "Mad Cow disease" scare, when millions of cattle in the UK were slaughtered in case of infecting humans? Cattle were being fed on a mixture containing material from dead sheep, and sheep suffer from a disease called "scrapie". It was thought this was how "Mad Cow" began and started to infiltrate the human chain. What is interesting is that when rape oil was removed from animal feed, 'scrapie' disappeared.

We also haven't seen any further reports of "Mad Cow" since rape oil was removed from the feed. Perhaps not scientifically proven, but interesting all the same. US and Canadian farmers grow genetically engineered rapeseed and manufacturers use its oil (canola) in thousands of processed foods, with the blessings of Canadian and US government watchdog agencies. The canola supporting websites say that canola is safe to use. They admit it was developed from the rapeseed, but insist that through genetic engineering it is no longer rapeseed, but "canola" instead.

Except canola means "Canadian oil"; and the plant is still a rape plant, albeit genetically modified. The new name provides perfect cover for commercial interests wanting to make millions.

These things are a hit. I recommend either SmartBalance peanut butter mixed with flaxseed oil or Skippy Natural. SN is for those that don't mind another gram of sugar. You'll get hooked on the taste.

Mouse

I highly endorse these (and I'm not paid to do so). I'm on my 3rd bag of mix and these are pretty solid. I mix with Smart Balance PB and Sue Bee honey. If you like PB then you'll like these. I like them right before bed.

The mix looks to be mainly protein powder, nuts, raisins and oats and will get you 12 bars at about 400 calories per bar but you could create whatever portion size you want. One could argue that you could make this mix yourself and you could (through lots of trial, error and wasted product) but at $15 a bag I don't see the point. You'd hardly save anything.

Quality product.

NOVICE

Great product, and there are a lot of different recipies over at needtobuildmuscle.com so you can mix it up.

The best protein bar on the market, hands down

These are damn good!
    Which reminds me, i need to reorder soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I highly endorse these (and I'm not paid to do so). I'm on my 3rd bag of mix and these are pretty solid. I mix with Smart Balance PB and Sue Bee honey. If you like PB then you'll like these. I like them right before bed.

The mix looks to be mainly protein powder, nuts, raisins and oats and will get you 12 bars at about 400 calories per bar but you could create whatever portion size you want. One could argue that you could make this mix yourself and you could (through lots of trial, error and wasted product) but at $15 a bag I don't see the point. You'd hardly save anything.

Quality product.
    http://needtobuildmuscle.com/forums....owcat&catid=13

The mix makes more then one recipe. High carb low carb,low fat high fat,what ever you need. I add more recipes all the time.

All of them are easy as hell. No bake just mix and ready to eat. Takes 5 mins or less. You get 12 high protein (fresh!!!!!!!) protein bars. Trust me they are the only 100% natural bars on the market. Price of bars plus what you have to put in them comes out to about 1.50 a bar tops. For this kind of a bar I dare you to find better for cheaper.

Every protein bar on the market is pure crap. If you can nit understand the ingredients list then how can it be natural??? 99% of the bars out there use soy protein. I use 100% whey.

All the ingredients for the bars I buy direct from home grown farms. 13+ years as a chef I came to understand that the best kept secret to great tasting food is freshness, and purity of the ingredients.

When people think all natural they thing (taste like crap). nothing could be more from the truth with these bars.

I give free shipping on all orders. Not just on 100.00 orders but all orders in the us. So the price you see on the products is the price you pay. No shipping cost,no handling fees no nothing. I ship 3 day mail on all my packs for free!!!!!! I have the fastest free shipping known to the business.

This is how easy it is to make them takes about ten minutes and saves you heaps of cash , not to mention they are all natty and freaking Awesome , if your a hard gainer theses are for you wont be able to stop eating them .

Brad.

Can't wait to try them. I've screwed up making my own in the past. This appears easy.
    My avatar is a two-faced pussy.

These taste awesome!!!

They are easy to make. Order a bag, use one of the great recipes on needtobuildmuscle.com, and have a tasty, protein-filled and healthy nutrient packed snack. It only takes a few minutes to prepare.

Don't let your kids get to them, or they will disappear really fast.

Lol @ HesnoBradPitt's first picture of the preparation.

Finally, a product that I can... sink my teeth into.

- I could NOT resist...

However, this is something I am interested in.

Great product, not only has it become a staple in my daily diet, but also has helped perfect my PWO meal.

Quote Originally Posted by kraken View Post
    Can't wait to try them. I've screwed up making my own in the past. This appears easy.
    If you have any problems I have a 24 hour help desk. 1-978-378-4266Not a 9-5 but a 24 hour. Of course I am on from 7 am to the end of the night but I am pretty much in front of my desk all hours of the night. When I am here I will Answer the phone and help my customers. More then I few times I have been there to help peopl at 1-2-3 am. Its no big deal to me and I will always do this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Sexy View Post
    Finally, a product that I can... sink my teeth into.

- I could NOT resist...

However, this is something I am interested in.
    Pm me for some free bars bro.

Quote Originally Posted by hesnobradpitt. View Post

This is how easy it is to make them takes about ten minutes and saves you heaps of cash , not to mention they are all natty and freaking Awesome , if your a hard gainer theses are for you wont be able to stop eating them .

Brad.
    Man you make your bars big as shit lol. Them pro bodybuilder bars right there. Looks great.

That's the only way to have em bro.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast