Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default massage decreases blood flow and lactic acid removal post-workout?

well a presentation this week at the annual meeting of the american college of sports medicine will showcase how massage mechanically inteferes with blood flow. thus, limit lactic acid removal. what i have read is interesting.

i know many bodybuilders have recently increased their use a massages over the past few years and it has gained some popularity.

personally, massages will always "feel" good to me. but, discriminating whether it actually decreases inflammation or generates placebo effects is something to think about.

Title
    Massage Impairs Rather Than Enhances Lactic Acid Removal From Muscle After Strenuous Exercise
    Presentation Start/End Time:
    Saturday, May 30, 2009, 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
    Topical Category
    1001 athlete medical evaluation and care
    Authors
    Victoria Wiltshire, Veronica Poitras, Melissa Pak, Terence Hong, Jay Rayner, Michael E. Tschakovsky. Queen's University, Kingston, ON, Canada.
    Email: [email protected]
    Sports massage has been widely accepted among the athletic community as an aid to promote muscle recovery from exercise. The Canadian Sports Massage Therapists Association (CSMTA) website (www.csmta.ca) states that it “relieves soreness and assists in the removal of lactic acid and other waste products”. To date no studies have investigated the claim about lactic acid removal. PURPOSE: To test the hypothesis that massage improves muscle lactic acid removal post exercise. METHODS: Twelve healthy young University undergraduate male subjects lay supine and performed 2 min of isometric handgrip at 40% maximal voluntary contraction (MVC). Forearm blood flow (FBF; Doppler and Echo ultrasound of the brachial artery) and deep venous forearm blood lactate

concentration (DV[La-]; StatProfile M Blood Gas Analyzer, Nova Biomedical) were measured every 30 s for 10 min post-handgrip under three conditions: Control (passive rest), Massage (effleurage and petrissage), and Active Recovery (rhythmic exercise at 10% MVC). RESULTS: Data are mean ±SE. DV[La-] at 30 s post handgrip increased by a similar amount above baseline across conditions (Control 6.1 ±0.5, Massage 5.5 ±0.6, Active Recovery 5.7 ±0.6 mmol/L). From 4.5 min post handgrip onwards, it was lower in Active Recovery than Control or Massage, P<0.05. FBF was highest in Control vs. Massage and Active Recovery for the first 3.5 min post-handgrip, all P<0.05. Examination of beat by beat flow tracings revealed markedly reduced flow during limb compression with rhythmic Massage and during the contraction phase of rhythmic exercise in Active Recovery. Total FBF area under the curve (AUC; ml) for 10 min post handgrip was significantly higher in Control vs. Massage (4203 ±531 vs. 3178 ±304) but not vs. Active Recovery (3584 ±284, P=0.217). La- efflux (mmol; FBF x DV[La-]) AUC mirrored FBF AUC (Control 20.5 ±2.8 vs. Massage 14.7 ±1.6, P=0.03 vs. Active Recovery 15.4 ±1.9, P=0.064). CONCLUSIONS: Massage impairs lactic acid removal from muscle following strenuous exercise by mechanically impeding blood flow.
    http://www.abstractsonline.com/viewe...C-6BE487431EEE}

FREAK

What do you think is the best recovery post-workout? I personally think it's just laying down in bed between your PWO shake and PWO meal if possible, even if you don't fall asleep it feels like you recover better.

Banned Rat Scum

i thought there was some evidence that massage reduced DOMS, but it was performed later after initial muscle soreness.

guess i'll have to look, but i thought it reduced dOMS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pangloss View Post
    i thought there was some evidence that massage reduced DOMS, but it was performed later after initial muscle soreness.

guess i'll have to look, but i thought it reduced dOMS.

dr. pangloss,

it depends what literature we read. this reference was novel in regards to the measures and how close in time those measures were taken. the outcomes were initially counterintuitive to me. but the outomes were applicable because we might have a massage prior to the onset of doms, during or after.

most of the massage literature is filled with poor methodology and the tighter studies seem to trend towards the lack of efficacy.

smith et al. (1994) suggested massage two hours later. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8148868

tiidus (1997) suggested massage sucks for us. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9007768

this systematic review just adds to the confusion (ernst 2003). but, the read demonstrates the further skeptism in using massage for doms and other reasons. http://bjsportmed.com/cgi/content/abstract/32/3/212

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What do you think is the best recovery post-workout? I personally think it's just laying down in bed between your PWO shake and PWO meal if possible, even if you don't fall asleep it feels like you recover better.

that certainly is the option for the least response effort.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist View Post
    that certainly is the option for the least response effort.

actually laying out with my post workout shake is what i prefer when i have time but interesting is the growing interest and body of research with active recovery.

the following is the abstract and full text link to a paper by gill et al. (2006). http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2491972

the investigators compared passive recovery, active recovery, compression garmets, and water contrast therapy. creatine kinase (ck) of rugby players immediately post workout was used as an outcome measure for recovery. large increases of interstitial ck were found in the players post workout and all options for recovery showed greater effects than passive recovery. active recovery intervention showed 88.2% recovery after 84 hours the smallest rate of post‐match was following passive recovery.

you could imagine the effects of high intesity or large volume programs on ck values of bodybuilders similiar to rugby players. we might have to reassess whether we should lay out and do nothing versus some low impact exercise post workout.

FREAK

actually laying out with my post workout shake is what i prefer when i have time but interesting is the growing interest and body of research with active recovery.

the following is the abstract and full text link to a paper by gill et al. (2006). http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2491972

the investigators compared passive recovery, active recovery, compression garmets, and water contrast therapy. creatine kinase (ck) of rugby players immediately post workout was used as an outcome measure for recovery. large increases of interstitial ck were found in the players post workout and all options for recovery showed greater effects than passive recovery. active recovery intervention showed 88.2% recovery after 84 hours the smallest rate of post‐match was following passive recovery.

you could imagine the effects of high intesity or large volume programs on ck values of bodybuilders similiar to rugby players. we might have to reassess whether we should lay out and do nothing versus some low impact exercise post workout.

This seems simple in my opinion!!! The active recovery utilized only 7 minutes of stationary bike riding. So to me you could ride a bike for 7-10 minutes PWO and then go home and take a nap for 30 minutes Then when you get up time for the PWO meal!

Although this study is concentrating on aspects of muscle, not nervous system. I think the nap would be of huge benefit to CNS recovery. Perhaps the combo of active recovery for muscular recovery and a nap for CNS recovery would be best.

The contrast bath recovery method I have questions on. Sure it reduced CK levels, but what about the hormonal response to cold water immersion?? My guess is this would have negative impact on the testosterone to cortisol ratio by raising cortisol levels in response to the cold water, greatly reducing anabolic potential.

FREAK

ThePhysicalTherapist,

One other thing that came to mind regarding the original study--cortisol levels. Massage therapy seems to have a lot of evidence to support reduction in cortisol levels. Given the importance of the testosterone to cortisol ratio, I do wonder if massage overall would lead to better gains at least.

But then again, I also wonder about the TYPE of massage. This one study uses sport massage 2 hours PWO and actually found higher levels of cortisol in the sport massage treated group:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8148868

However there were reductions in DOMS and reduced CK.

I would imagine different types of massage would yield different hormonal responses. This is getting too complicated.

Banned

ThePhysicalTherapist,

One other thing that came to mind regarding the original study--cortisol levels. Massage therapy seems to have a lot of evidence to support reduction in cortisol levels. Given the importance of the testosterone to cortisol ratio, I do wonder if massage overall would lead to better gains at least.

But then again, I also wonder about the TYPE of massage. This one study uses sport massage 2 hours PWO and actually found higher levels of cortisol in the sport massage treated group:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8148868

However there were reductions in DOMS and reduced CK.

I would imagine different types of massage would yield different hormonal responses. This is getting too complicated.

yes, i referenced that paper in post # 4. maybe two hours post workout is optimal. and this stuff is complicated. lol.

this paper by field et al. (2005) speaks to the relationship between massage and cortisol. http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Cor...ge_Therapy.pdf

In this article the positive effects of massage therapy on biochemistry are reviewed
    including decreased levels of cortisol and increased levels of serotonin
    and dopamine. The research reviewed includes studies on depression (including
    sex abuse and eating disorder studies), pain syndrome studies, research on autoimmune
    conditions (including asthma and chronic fatigue), immune studies
    (including HIV and breast cancer), and studies on the reduction of stress on the
    job, the stress of aging, and pregnancy stress. In studies in which cortisol was
    assayed either in saliva or in urine, significant decreases were noted in cortisol
    Received 22 November 2004.

FREAK

So perhaps vigorous massage types like deep tissue, fascia release, rolfing, and sports massage may increase cortisol levels since they're not so nice and relaxing like other forms? lol Would make sense that your cortisol levels may increase with someone digging their elbow into your IT band lol.

FREAK

Yoga I bet would have benefits to recovery done PWO, if you're into that kinda thing. I also bet meditation would be good if you do that...but I think forcing someone to do meditation or yoga in the hopes of recovery when they hate it might actually be a negative on cortisol response lol. But if someone already meditates it might be good timing to do it PWO.

Yesterday I felt sick and crappy after my workout...just unwell, so I went home and laid down in the dark in front of a fan and I felt a lot better in just 15-20 minutes.

Banned

Yoga I bet would have benefits to recovery done PWO, if you're into that kinda thing. I also bet meditation would be good if you do that...but I think forcing someone to do meditation or yoga in the hopes of recovery when they hate it might actually be a negative on cortisol response lol. But if someone already meditates it might be good timing to do it PWO.

Yesterday I felt sick and crappy after my workout...just unwell, so I went home and laid down in the dark in front of a fan and I felt a lot better in just 15-20 minutes.

yoga is no joke. i perform yoga twice a week for 60 minutes. it is serious work. the sustained isometric contractions in novel postures can be quite aversive.

FREAK

yoga is no joke. i perform yoga twice a week for 60 minutes. it is serious work. the sustained isometric contractions in novel postures can be quite aversive.
    Well there are different types of yoga, right? Some are very intense and relatively difficult, while others are more relaxing types if I'm not mistaken. I was thinking along the lines of a more relaxing yoga type instead of the more intensive.

I've had massages right after training along with a day or two after. I'm going to go with emprical evidence and say i always feel better after a massage.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave Smith View Post
    I've had massages right after training along with a day or two after. I'm going to go with emprical evidence and say i always feel better after a massage.

Well lactate and CK clearance are only two variables. There are a ton of others when it comes to recovery and anabolism. Cortisol is one of them, and the right massage is going to reduce it. I don't know that this is cut and dry. It would require more testing than just clearance of metabolic factors in order to truly assess what is the best method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast